DocLightning
Topic Author

Fate of the QE2

Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:57 pm

According to a QE2-dedicated Facebook page I follow (this isn't being reported in any news media I can find), the QE2's current maintenance crew has been ordered to vacate the ship and they will be replaced by a Chinese crew.

When QE2 was sold by Cunard, part of the contract was that she could not be sold to any foreign interest for ten years unless said interest was a scrapping outfit. The obvious conclusion is that she has been sold to a foreign interest. The general concern is that this is the beginning of the end for the Queen.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Kiwirob

Fate of the QE2

Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:37 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Thread starter):
The general concern is that this is the beginning of the end for the Queen.

About time too.

MadameConcorde

Fate of the QE2

Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:52 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Thread starter):
When QE2 was sold by Cunard, part of the contract was that she could not be sold to any foreign interest for ten years unless said interest was a scrapping outfit.

We must be following the same Facebook page.

I was in Dubai most recently. I hovered around there with my binoculars but I did not detect any signs of anything unusual on board the Ship. This is a sudden decision it seems.

If they were going to move the Ship to a destination other than the breakers yard they would have retained the V-Ships crew on board. V-Ships is not Dubai based. Their HQs are in Fontvieile, Monaco.

Breakers yard seems the most plausible.

Sheikh Mohammed probably decided that he'd be better off not having her around anymore. An idle historical Ship sitting in the harbour represents too much bad publicity for his little Empire.

We will know soon.

Wow!  

[Edited 2012-12-18 10:54:30]
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

Kiwirob

Fate of the QE2

Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:39 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 2):
Sheikh Mohammed probably decided that he'd be better off not having her around anymore. An idle historical Ship sitting in the harbour represents too much bad publicity for his little Empire.

I think they have realised that they weren't going to make any money off QE2 so they are better of cutting losses and scrapping her.

DocLightning
Topic Author

Fate of the QE2

Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:18 pm

We must be following the same Facebook page.

I think you referred to me it, IIRC.

I wonder why he didn't convert her into his own personal yacht. It would give him the largest private yacht in the world, a veritable floating palace.

I mean, if I had tens of billions of dollars, it's what I'd do.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

OA260

Fate of the QE2

Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:26 pm

Shame it didn't get made into a hotel with service similar to what you used to get TATL. I guess some things are just not meant to be.

luv2fly

Fate of the QE2

Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:37 pm

I was really shocked that she ended up where she did! You have a country area that really embraces all things new and flashy and the QE2 is anything but.
You can cut the irony with a knife

Quokkas

Fate of the QE2

Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:54 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 3):
I think they have realised that they weren't going to make any money off QE2 so they are better of cutting losses and scrapping her.

Agreed and even just sitting there it is taking up space that could be more beneficially used as the port facilities are enhanced to accommodate a growing number of cruise arrivals.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 4):
It would give him the largest private yacht in the world, a veritable floating palace.

Maybe he gets sea-sick and could he risk being away from home for too long? Besides, how's he going to land the 744 on deck?  
“Not to laugh, not to cry, not to hate, but understand.” Spinoza

MadameConcorde

Fate of the QE2

Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:05 am

Quoting luv2fly (Reply 6):
I was really shocked that she ended up where she did! You have a country area that really embraces all things new and flashy and the QE2 is anything but.

I was at sea in the flotilla on the day she arrived in Dubai and got to see her there many times afterwards. She never quite fitted the scene. Dubai has a high number of luxury and super-luxury hotels. No one would ever think of spending time in a refitted "Hotel QE2" in that ugly harbour in the middle of freighter boats and harbour condrum.

Quoting Quokkas (Reply 7):
a growing number of cruise arrivals.

I have never seen more than two in one day- There's space - that is not the real problem.

Besides, how's he going to land the 744 on deck?

Sheikh Mo has one of the world's most beautiful and most lavish private yachts and he can make his any helicopter he wishes. Roman Abramovich's new toy is only 5 meters longer at the most and probably no more luxurious than Sheikh Mo's yacht.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/exp...al-yachts-in-pictures.html?image=2

His son Crown Prince Hamdan also has his own toy - yacht Dubawi. A beautiful beast!
http://www.superyachts.com/motor-yacht-2551/dubawi.htm

They don't need to have the QE2 refitted for personal use. They can have new personal yachts built on demand any day.

It was a Chinese Crew on the RMS Queen Elizabeth in 1972.

Wow!   

MadameConcorde

Fate of the QE2

Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:20 am

Too late to edit
Live from Port Rashid via AIS
http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/def...x=30&centery=25&zoom=2&level1=140#

QE2 is live on the AIS ship tracker. If the link does not take you directly you can type in Dubai in the geographic locator and you will see the Ship inside Port Rashid.

Flag: Vanuatu
Ship Type: Passenger
Speed/Course: 0 kn / 0˚
Length x Breadth: 293 m X 36 m
Draught: 9.3 m
Destination: DUBAI
Received (49): 0h 1min ago
(AIS Source: Mubarak Marine LLC)
Show Vessel's Track
Distance to..

Source says "Mubarak Marine LLC" I wonder who could they be?... Probably just providing position.

It seems she has plenty of activity right around her. I see 3 cargo and a couple of unspecified right on the same pier.
Royal yachts Dubai and Dubawi are moored at an angle a bit further up.

Ship would need tugs to be moved. I don't see any signs of them but they could be brought in whenever.
Maybe it's not time yet.

I don't see any cruise ships in port.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/def...x=30&centery=25&zoom=2&level1=140#

Any Anetters flying in please get pictures - left side of the aircraft on landing. Gets some good views.

Moose135

Fate of the QE2

Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:04 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 4):
I wonder why he didn't convert her into his own personal yacht. It would give him the largest private yacht in the world, a veritable floating palace.

I mean, if I had tens of billions of dollars, it's what I'd do

It would probably take most of those tens of billions to do that... 
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

MadameConcorde

Fate of the QE2

Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:49 pm

Transmission of vessels positioning are being turned off for the night with fewer transmissions from QE2. The last one back 52 minutes. Can see no more tugs or cargo vessels. Need to wait til tomorrow morning to see how many tug boats are there waiting.

DocLightning
Topic Author

Fate of the QE2

Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:54 pm

Quoting moose135 (Reply 10):

No. It could probably be done for about $1-200M depending on how lavish he wants the decor to be. The ship herself is in good shape, so it's really just a decorating job. She was retired because she is so inefficient for passenger service. But for a Sheikh with essentially unlimited funds who can fly his own 744 around, who cares?

Now, if he wants to replace the engines or screws, then we're starting to talk about some serious money.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

EA CO AS

Fate of the QE2

Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:33 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 12):
Quoting moose135 (Reply 10):

No. It could probably be done for about $1-200M depending on how lavish he wants the decor to be. The ship herself is in good shape, so it's really just a decorating job.

If I were that mega-wealthy and wanted to convert a passenger ship into a personal vessel, my choice would be the former M/S Sovereign of the Seas. Gorgeous ship.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

DocLightning
Topic Author

Fate of the QE2

Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:20 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 13):
If I were that mega-wealthy and wanted to convert a passenger ship into a personal vessel, my choice would be the former M/S Sovereign of the Seas. Gorgeous ship.

The centrum would be an amazing throne room.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

MadameConcorde

Fate of the QE2

Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:52 pm

Could the presence of dredgers in the section of the harbour where the QE2 is indicate that they are working on clearing passage for the ship to leave the harbour?

Spotted three large tugs and a number of dredgers on AIS the last couple of days.

Any naval ops experts here?

babybus

Fate of the QE2

Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:15 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 8):
His son Crown Prince Hamdan also has his own toy - yacht Dubawi. A beautiful beast!

I don't like the look of that. It's a bit 'in yer face'. The interior looks like a cheap nightclub from the 1970s.

How could anyone think of scrapping the QE2? It's a floating work of art.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

MadameConcorde

Fate of the QE2

Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:00 pm

Quoting babybus (Reply 16):

There's rumours going around that she's been sold to a Chinese company.
This is just some people talking. There is no official confirmation.

I have my doubts. The sales contract from Canival to her Dubai owners stated only can be sold for scrub - not for any other reason.

Suppose she is sent to the breaker's - would there be any way to recoop some ship parts (preferably small) for collectible purpose?

Why wouldn't they have an auction of anything QE2-wise that would please collectors or former passengers? Could be benefit some charity.

The Air France and British Airways Concorde auctions brought in a lot of money.

connies4ever

Fate of the QE2

Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:47 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 17):
Quoting babybus (Reply 16):

There's rumours going around that she's been sold to a Chinese company.
This is just some people talking. There is no official confirmation.

Sad to think she's going to be turned into razor blades or something along those lines. Beautiful ship.

My big trek through Europe and ME 75-76: when I left London, where I was living, weighed 168 lb (12 stone), when I got back, 142 lb (10 stone, 2lb). Thanks to the fabulous food on QE2, I think I gained a fair bit of that before I got back to Winnipeg. If I'd shown up at home weighing 142 my mother would have had a stroke. I looked like a wraith at 142.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Kiwirob

Fate of the QE2

Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:19 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 12):

No. It could probably be done for about $1-200M depending on how lavish he wants the decor to be. The ship herself is in good shape, so it's really just a decorating job. She was retired because she is so inefficient for passenger service. But for a Sheikh with essentially unlimited funds who can fly his own 744 around, who cares?

1-200 million would build appox 100m's of yacht, something like Eclipse or Octopus. QE2 would need hundreds of crew as well, the operating costs as a private yacht would be massive, it would also be far to expensive to put on the charter market. I think at least 500 million would be needed to convert the ship to a private yacht.

MadameConcorde

Fate of the QE2

Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:42 pm

Now official...

Wow!

QE2 sold to the Chinese for scrap

End of an era for the QE2: Iconic cruise liner sold as scrap to Chinese for £20m

The QE2 is set to be sold as scrap to the Chinese for £20m.

The move follows the failure of a after a last minute bid to bring it back to the famous cruise liner back to Britain as a five-star floating hotel.

The iconic ocean liner - which also served as a troop carrier during the Falklands - has been moored in a commercial port in Dubai since it was sold for £64m in 2008.

more:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-liner-sold-scrap-Chinese-20m.html

Wow!

luv2fly

Fate of the QE2

Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:46 am

I read in the article she is going into dry dock. I would bet it is to strip her of anything saleable.

connies4ever

Fate of the QE2

Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:57 am

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 19):
QE2 would need hundreds of crew as well,

Incorrect insofar as actual sailors are concerned. QE2 ran with about 50. All the rest were hotel staff.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Max Q

Fate of the QE2

Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:49 am

Can she move under her own power still or will she need to be towed to China ?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Aaron747

Fate of the QE2

Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:01 am

Maybe he gets sea-sick

I think a megabillionaire can probably afford Dramamine, if not an entire medical staff to cure him of the ailment.

could he risk being away from home for too long

A megabillionaire can be away from home as long as they please.

1-200 million would build appox 100m's of yacht, something like Eclipse or Octopus. QE2 would need hundreds of crew as well, the operating costs as a private yacht would be massive

Well since we're going in this direction, I'd like to make my personal yacht the rebuilt SS Normandie

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c5/Ssnormandie_sideelevation_NYC.png/799px-Ssnormandie_sideelevation_NYC.png
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

DocLightning
Topic Author

Fate of the QE2

Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:10 am

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 24):
I think a megabillionaire can probably afford Dramamine, if not an entire medical staff to cure him of the ailment.

You'd have to be in a heck of a storm to rock this purpose-built ocean liner with active stabilization fins. Under most sailing conditions, a ship like QE2 would usually feel as steady as a rock under your feet. Especially if you were amidships.

You'd need to be really sensitive or in a really bad storm to have the QE2's motion bothering you while at sea.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

sunking737

Fate of the QE2

Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:56 pm

She will not be scrapped, but remodeled and turned into a troop transport for the Chinese Army.
Just an MSPAVGEEK

NorthstarBoy

Fate of the QE2

Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:41 pm

I hope you're right Sunking. The idea of the world's last purpose built trans atlantic liner being scrapped is stomach turning for a ship geek like myself.
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

MadameConcorde

Fate of the QE2

Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:23 pm

Quoting sunking737 (Reply 26):
remodeled and turned into a troop transport for the Chinese Army.

Doubt it.

QE2 will be put in dry dock and stripped out of everything sell-able.

Sales contract stated only could be sold for scrap.

Quote from above linked article:
When Istithmar – part of the state conglomerate Dubai World - bought the QE2 from Cunard in 2007 it agreed it would not sell it on for at least ten years.
But a source close to Dubai World said he believed ‘a contract modification could be agreed’ allowing it to be sold on for scrap.

You can only sell scrap metal by Ton if it's in manageable chunks. Breaking down a ship that big will take a lot of work. The Chinese will probably hawk her out to some place like this in Bangladesh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGDZiWwF_V0

Wow!

Kiwirob

Fate of the QE2

Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:20 pm

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 27):
The idea of the world's last purpose built trans atlantic liner being scrapped is stomach turning for a ship geek like myself.

Wrong on two counts, first of all Cunard built QE2 as a hybrid liner/cruise vessel, they knew a pure liner wouldn't work in the challenging transport environment of the 60's and then Cunard went and built QM2 which was also a hybrid liner/cruise vessel.

QANTAS077

Fate of the QE2

Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:47 pm

From the company itself.

CUNARD
We have noted the messages of understandable concern with regards to the recent article in the Daily Mail with reference to QE2. We remain in close contact with Dubai and can reassure you that to the very best of our knowledge this story is pure speculation - one of a number of stories and rumours as we have seen over recent months. Our best advice would be to ignore the story.

Best regards,
Cunard Line.

MadameConcorde

Fate of the QE2

Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:02 pm

There is another article about the scrappage in Arabian Business

Dubai-owned QE2 said to be sold for scrap

The world famous liner QE2, which has been moored in Dubai since 2008, is reportedly to be sold for scrap to a Chinese firm.

more here:
http://www.arabianbusiness.com/dubai...said-be-sold-for-scrap-483752.html

Dubai was always secretive about the Ship's whereabouts from Day 1 til now. I don't think they will change so few chances we might know what's going on.

DocLightning
Topic Author

Fate of the QE2

Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:03 am

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 29):
Wrong on two counts, first of all Cunard built QE2 as a hybrid liner/cruise vessel, they knew a pure liner wouldn't work in the challenging transport environment of the 60's and then Cunard went and built QM2 which was also a hybrid liner/cruise vessel.

You are correct that after QE2, QM2 is the one remaining active purpose-built liner (she is a true liner who also can do cruise ship duty, just like QE2). However SS United States still floats and, while her future is uncertain, she also has yet to be scrapped.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

cruiseshipcrew

Fate of the QE2

Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:10 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 32):
However SS United States still floats and, while her future is uncertain, she also has yet to be scrapped.

There will always be the Queen Mary in Long Beach.
Road Warrior

Ps762

Fate of the QE2

Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:57 am

Hi!

Just thought I'd add a thought. Personally I think it makes sense to scrap it I guess. Are there any other cruise ships of that size or ships that size which have been sucessfully turned into attractions and made a profit? Maybe the cost of maintenance is just too high I don't know. Plus I think the kinda people who would be more interested in reliving the Qe2 experience would probably be Europeans or Americans maybe rather than the population of Dubai but I really don't know.

I am very happy that I once got to see the Qe2 set sail from Southampton from the viewing gallery they used to have (before 911) right by the ship up high. I sat watching it loading for hours and then when it left with the people by the pool on the back with the reggae band playing it really was cool.

Maybe with lower maintence one day someone might be able to make a museum or walk through experience for kids or something who knows. Unlike many other cruise liners I don't think the Qe2 will be forgotten for a while (although there were many other great cruise ships and ships which have been built and operated very successfully too).

Many thanks!

DocLightning
Topic Author

Fate of the QE2

Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:32 am

1-200 million would build appox 100m's of yacht, something like Eclipse or Octopus. QE2 would need hundreds of crew as well, the operating costs as a private yacht would be massive, it would also be far to expensive to put on the charter market. I think at least 500 million would be needed to convert the ship to a private yacht.

QE2 only ever ran on about 50 operating crew. The rest are hotel staff.

Quoting Ps762 (Reply 34):
Just thought I'd add a thought. Personally I think it makes sense to scrap it I guess. Are there any other cruise ships of that size or ships that size which have been sucessfully turned into attractions and made a profit?

The original Queen Mary is preserved at Long Beach.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Ps762

Fate of the QE2

Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:42 am

Hi!

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 35):
The original Queen Mary is preserved at Long Beach.

Thanks. For some reason I forgot about that. I will have a look online. I wonder does it pay for itself or sell well and stuff. I guess this is not the same part of Long Beach I hear about in Snoop Doggie Dog records!

Sounds interesting though. Thanks.

Kiwirob

Fate of the QE2

Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:12 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 32):
However SS United States still floats and, while her future is uncertain, she also has yet to be scrapped.

I'd have more chance of becoming a brain surgeon than the SS United States doing anything other than rotting away in Philly. People need to get over there attachments to these old hulks, they will never return to service and should be scrapped, especially in the case of the SS United States she should have gone to the wreckers decades ago.

MadameConcorde

Fate of the QE2

Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:08 pm

Such a wondrous Ship!

This traveler's web page has a number of very beautiful pictures of the QE2 inside and out.

Enjoy

http://timspages.blogspot.de/2012/03...ages-1999-2003-each-year-from.html

luv2fly

Fate of the QE2

Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:05 pm

The ship sure looked dated towards the end.

OA260

Fate of the QE2

Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:41 pm

Quoting luv2fly (Reply 39):
The ship sure looked dated towards the end.

Indeed thought that myself. It would have needed a total refit to meet todays standards.

luv2fly

Fate of the QE2

Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:07 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 40):
Indeed thought that myself. It would have needed a total refit to meet todays standards.

Not only SOLAS standards just to get the ship looking modern and fresh, compared to what is sailing. The problem that the QE2 is/was facing is a older ship which cost to run and maintain are increasing, an older fan base that is dying off and had it kept sailing a real need to discount in order to fill up the ship. So it had stuff working against the old girl. Having worked for NCL when we had the Norway it was the same problems we were facing filling her weekly sailings.

MD11Engineer

Fate of the QE2

Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:28 pm

Quoting luv2fly (Reply 41):
Quoting OA260 (Reply 40):

Not only SOLAS standards just to get the ship looking modern and fresh, compared to what is sailing. The problem that the QE2 is/was facing is a older ship which cost to run and maintain are increasing, an older fan base that is dying off and had it kept sailing a real need to discount in order to fill up the ship. So it had stuff working against the old girl. Having worked for NCL when we had the Norway it was the same problems we were facing filling her weekly sailings.

Actually, if one country can get the old girl going again, then it is China. I assume that most of the expenses to overhaul the ship is labour costs, which would be prohibitive in the West. But labour costs in China are a lot lower and they theoretically could throw thousands of workers on clearing out thze ship and installing a new interior. They could also rebuild the technical systems much cheaper than we could over here.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

luv2fly

Fate of the QE2

Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:43 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 42):
Actually, if one country can get the old girl going again, then it is China. I assume that most of the expenses to overhaul the ship is labour costs, which would be prohibitive in the West. But labour costs in China are a lot lower and they theoretically could throw thousands of workers on clearing out thze ship and installing a new interior. They could also rebuild the technical systems much cheaper than we could over here.

Jan

That is true, though there is a clause in the contract that does not allow her to sail again as a cruise ship.

MD11Engineer

Fate of the QE2

Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:57 pm

Quoting luv2fly (Reply 43):
That is true, though there is a clause in the contract that does not allow her to sail again as a cruise ship.

Contracts can be re-negotiated. And I could well imagine a clause which permits the operation as a cruise ship, but restricted to a geographical area, e.g. the Indo-Pacific. China has an increasing middle class, who also like to travel and maybe get interested in cruise trips.
And not everybody likes the modern floating shopping malls with attached hotels.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

luv2fly

Fate of the QE2

Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:02 pm

[quote=MD11Engineer,reply=44]Contracts can be re-negotiated. And I could well imagine a clause which permits the operation as a cruise ship, but restricted to a geographical area, e.g. the Indo-Pacific. China has an increasing middle class, who also like to travel and maybe get interested in cruise trips.
And not everybody likes the modern floating shopping malls with attached hotels.

Jan

Anything is possible, though I think in this case it would be a hard task to make happen. Carnival Corp would fight tooth and nail to keep this ship from sailing. Also you are correct not everyone likes the mega ships, though people want more features than this old girl can offer.

And there is currently a cruise company catering to all the Asians that enjoy cruises, Star Cruises.

MadameConcorde

Fate of the QE2

Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:47 pm

Beautiful beyond words...

Concorde, Red Arrows and the QE2

An Amazing video celebrating Great Britian with three of our finest icons; Concorde, The Red Arrows and the famous QE2 (Queen Elizabeth 2) cruise liner, at one point all three can be seen in one shot, it is utterly breathtaking!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnMzinoYrlg

Capt. David Leney and Capt. Jock Lowe flying the Queen of the Skies in formation with the Reds and the magnificent QE2 (Queen of the Seas) sailing right below!!! Pure magic!!!!

[Edited 2012-12-26 09:50:34]

DocLightning
Topic Author

Fate of the QE2

Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:58 pm

Quoting cruiseshipcrew (Reply 33):
There will always be the Queen Mary in Long Beach.

Whether she still counts as a "ship" anymore is debatable. She floats, but she has no engines, only one screw, holes all over the hull near the waterline for ease of boarding, and she is in a completely closed dock that would need to be radically modified to tow her out.

Whether the world needs two such floating museums to a bygone era when ships and not airplanes carried people across the sea is debatable.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

cruiseshipcrew

Fate of the QE2

Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:04 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 44):
China has an increasing middle class, who also like to travel and maybe get interested in cruise trips.
Quoting luv2fly (Reply 45):
And there is currently a cruise company catering to all the Asians that enjoy cruises, Star Cruises.

I had the privilege of having an interesting conversation with Tan Sri Lim Kok Thay of Star followed by a fantastic dinner. He and a few of his partners had interesting comments about the Chinese cruise market. A large part of their limitation is not being able to cook with woks and open flames in the kitchen. He said this is one of the main reasons the Chinese market will not explode.
Road Warrior

DocLightning
Topic Author

Fate of the QE2

Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:08 pm

Quoting cruiseshipcrew (Reply 48):
I had the privilege of having an interesting conversation with Tan Sri Lim Kok Thay of Star followed by a fantastic dinner. He and a few of his partners had interesting comments about the Chinese cruise market. A large part of their limitation is not being able to cook with woks and open flames in the kitchen. He said this is one of the main reasons the Chinese market will not explode.

When I toured Legend of the Seas's galley, I saw gas stoves. Why are those not sufficient?
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan