Superfly
Topic Author

Politician Arrested Carrying Loaded Gun On Flight

Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:22 pm

I would have posted this in the Civil Aviation forums but since I know this will instantly turn political, I'm starting it here in the non-Aviation forums.

Kudos to the Huffington Post for running this story.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...trotter-arrested-on_n_2249663.html

CHICAGO — An Illinois state senator charged with trying to board a flight with a gun and ammunition in a carry-on bag posted bond and left court Thursday without a word about the charges or whether it would affect his decision to run for Jesse Jackson Jr.'s vacant congressional seat.

Coming from Chicago & Gary, Indiana myself, I fully understand the reason for carrying a gun but not on a commercial flight. What is so ironic is that state Senator Donne Trotter has voted for gun control and his voting record on the issue mirrors fmr. state Senator Barack Obama who is now the President.
With all of this talk about new gun control laws, I find it ironic that a politician that has used his position of power to strip people's rights to carry a gun carries a gun himself and is clueless about the laws boarding a commercial flight.
Donne Trotter is running for US House of Representatives in a special election against Mel Reynolds to replace outgoing Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr. who is being treated for mental illness, gastrointestinal issues and facing corruption charges.
Gotta love Chicago politics.
Bring back the Concorde

flymia

RE: Politician Arrested Carrying Loaded Gun On Flight

Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:13 pm

What an idiot. I guess it is possible he forgot the gun was in his bag. That has happened before to people. If he seriously thought though because he is a state senator he can carry a loaded gun on a plane he shouldn't be in a positions to make any decisions even when to take the garbage out.

Unless your a federal law enforcement officer, FAM or FFDO no guns on the plane seems like a pretty easy concept to get.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Superfly
Topic Author

Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:28 pm

Quoting flymia (Reply 1):
What an idiot. I guess it is possible he forgot the gun was in his bag. That has happened before to people. If he seriously thought though because he is a state senator he can carry a loaded gun on a plane he shouldn't be in a positions to make any decisions even when to take the garbage out.

Agreed.
The irony is that he voted in favor of gun control and his district in Chicago has the nation's most strict gun control laws.
I also find it funny that the Congressman (Jesse Jackson Jr) that is resigning his House seat can no longer legally own a gun in any state due to his mental illness diagnosis.
Bring back the Concorde

falstaff

Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:35 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 2):
The irony is that he voted in favor of gun control and his district in Chicago has the nation's most strict gun control laws.

Just another politician who thinks what is good for him isn't good for anyone else.

Quoting flymia (Reply 1):
I guess it is possible he forgot the gun was in his bag

This isn't like a loose shotgun shell or something. Not knowing where your gun is a HUGE safety violation, if not illegal. It seems like a lot of these guns "accidently left in bags" are from fairly high profile people. Either they are stupid or they really didn't think the laws apply to them.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

iFlyLOTs

Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:54 pm

The actual situation happened a while ago, the state senator supposedly works for a security company part time which was the reason for carrying the gun. I've heard stories from people at school that will forget they have their gun in their bad from living in the south side then go to work at O'hare or Midway and open up their bag and realize they still have it on them. This guy just got caught is all, which I guess is a good thing. But knowing there are others that don't is also a little concerning.
"...stay hungry, stay foolish" -Steve Jobs

falstaff

Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:03 pm

Quoting iFlyLOTs (Reply 4):
I've heard stories from people at school that will forget they have their gun in their bad from living in the south side then go to work at O'hare or Midway and open up their bag and realize they still have it on them.

They broke the law without ever going to the airport. Illinois doesn't allow concealed carry. Sure you may have a gun in a case, that isn't loaded and the ammunition must be separate, but why would you be carrying that around and then go to work. If you forget you are carrying a gun then you have no business carrying one.

Superfly
Topic Author

Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:19 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 3):
This isn't like a loose shotgun shell or something. Not knowing where your gun is a HUGE safety violation, if not illegal.

...and a danger to himself. The 'gun-nuts' and NRA members down-state that he hates so much could probably teach him a thing or two about gun safety.

I've heard stories from people at school that will forget they have their gun in their bad from living in the south side then go to work at O'hare or Midway and open up their bag and realize they still have it on them.

I think it would be a good idea for the NRA to reach out to these communities and teach them about gun safety. Their community organizers and politicians such as Donne Trotter are clueless when it comes to gun laws and gun safety.

This guy just got caught is all, which I guess is a good thing.

Sadly Donne Trotter isn't high profile enough to draw attention to the issue. I know Dianne Feinstein has bodyguards with guns. I'd love it if she was caught in a similar situation.  
Quoting falstaff (Reply 5):
If you forget you are carrying a gun then you have no business carrying one.

Amen to that!
Bring back the Concorde

falstaff

Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:32 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 6):
I think it would be a good idea for the NRA to reach out to these communities and teach them about gun safety.

The NRA is also very good about teaching people to follow the law.

Superfly
Topic Author

Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:39 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 7):
The NRA is also very good about teaching people to follow the law.

Oh well, it was just an idea. So much for that....
Bring back the Concorde

MD-90

Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:22 pm

All right jail time for senators! Let's see if he gets treated the same as the unwashed masses when one of them make a mistake.

ROSWELL41

Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:10 pm

I've heard he works as an armed 'rent a cop' part time and that's why he had the gun on him. Knowing most Chicago politicians, he probably thought the rules didn't apply to him. Interestingly enough, Chicago alderman and the mayor are legally afforded the right to conceal carry a firearm. Not good enough for their bosses however - the taxpayers.

Geezer

Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:28 am

Quoting Superfly (Thread starter):
What is so ironic is that state Senator Donne Trotter has voted for gun control and his voting record on the issue mirrors fmr. state Senator Barack Obama who is now the President.

What is so.........sssooo....so "funny" to me is that anyone named "Don" spells it "Donne" ! Kinda sounds like a real "wimp" to me ! ( I hope they throw his ass in jail !)

You were "right on" about it turning political 'Fly; remember the great Carl Rowan, the the "darling" of the NY media who just LOVED to go on and on about the "evils" of people having guns..........until some other sharp reporter found that he actually had a CC permit (in NYC no less), and always had one in his pocket; and the entertainment industries biggest blabber-mouth, Rosie O'Donnell, always screaming and yelling about all of the "little people" wanting to carry guns around, ( I guess EVERYONE would look "little" to that "tub of lard"!).......anyway, she didn't NEED to have a gun for protection......as her "body guards" both had them ! And people wonder why "ordinary citizens" are so fed up with so-called "celebrities" ?

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

DeltaMD90

Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:32 am

People who "forget" about where they put their guns have no business having guns. I'm telling ya, prevent these guys from having firearms and you'll see a lot of gun deaths go down. Negligence kills
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

mt99

Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:34 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 12):
People who "forget" about where they put their guns have no business having guns. I'm telling ya, prevent these guys from having firearms and you'll see a lot of gun deaths go down. Negligence kills

Good Point. He should not have been allowed to own a gun unless properly trained.
Step into my office, baby

DeltaMD90

Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:37 am

Quoting mt99 (Reply 13):
Good Point. He should not have been allowed to own a gun unless properly trained.

Pros: we'd have less idiots with guns. we'd have less negligent shootings. we'd have less people getting guns (the ones that aren't responsible to get training won't get them, which is a good thing.) no rights to weapons are infringed. the public sees some steps towards gun control and won't be gravitated to the more extreme (IMO) options. Stimulated the economy for firearm safety trainers

Cons: people are "inconvenienced" aka lose a afternoon or two and pay a couple hundred bucks, if that

Seems pretty clear to me. To the pro-gun posters, what do you have to say about this? I think this helps us gun owners out since we'll have less gun goof ups that make us look bad and get people hurt/killed
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

Superfly
Topic Author

Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:21 am

Quoting roswell41 (Reply 10):
I've heard he works as an armed 'rent a cop' part time

Why would a state senator moonlight as a 'rent a cop'?

Knowing most Chicago politicians, he probably thought the rules didn't apply to him.

That is most likely he case.

Chicago alderman and the mayor are legally afforded the right to conceal carry a firearm. Not good enough for their bosses however - the taxpayers.

Very interesting.

Quoting Geezer (Reply 11):
Rosie O'Donnell, always screaming and yelling about all of the "little people" wanting to carry guns around, ( I guess EVERYONE would look "little" to that "tub of lard"!).......anyway, she didn't NEED to have a gun for protection......as her "body guards" both had them ! And people wonder why "ordinary citizens" are so fed up with so-called "celebrities" ?

Bring back the Concorde