Cadet985
Topic Author

Current TV Sold To Al Jazeera

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:02 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/02/busine...ra-current-tv/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Now...I am an aspiring journalist desperate for work...but there isn't enough money in the world that could make me want to work for a network that spews terrorist propaganda. I hope the FCC blocks this, or that all the major cable/satellite outlets refuse to carry it.

Marc

Braniff747SP

RE: Current TV Sold To Al Jazeera

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:14 pm

Quoting Cadet985 (Thread starter):
terrorist propaganda.

Al Jazeera spreads terrorist propaganda?

That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard all week. Have you watched AJE?
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

Cadet985
Topic Author

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:18 pm

Al Jazeera is nothing but terrorist propaganda. Bin Laden, Muqtada (sp?) al Sadar, etc...they aired all those tapes, and all they were was propaganda. Please...Fox News is better then Al Jazeera.

Marc

mbmbos

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:42 pm

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 2):
Al Jazeera is nothing but terrorist propaganda. Bin Laden, Muqtada (sp?) al Sadar, etc...they aired all those tapes, and all they were was propaganda. Please...Fox News is better then Al Jazeera.

And we're supposed to take your word for it?

Newark727

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:46 pm

Al Jazeera is nothing but terrorist propaganda.

My local public TV affiliate has a thing where they broadcast a bunch of news stations from outside the U.S.- I believe BBC World News, NHK (Japan,) and al Jazeera. I don't often watch the latter as it comes on at a time when we're usually watching another channel, but from when I have seen it, I don't seem to recall being exhorted to fight the infidel not even a single time. "Insallahs" were in remarkably short supply as well.

mham001

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:58 pm

Al Gore owned by the Arabs, who would have thunk?

falstaff

Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:03 pm

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 1):
Have you watched AJE?

I have seen it a few times and I like what I see. Since they aren't American they don't tow the Democratic Party line, like most of the US TV news shows.

Does anyone watch Current TV? They put out a neat piece about Detroit public schools a few years ago and very few people actually saw it, even in Detroit. I knew plenty of teachers who wanted to watch it, but one of the local cable providers didn't carry the channel. I was able to watch it becuase my parents DVRed it in St. Louis.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

mham001

Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:07 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 7):
Since they aren't American they don't tow the Democratic Party line, like most of the US TV news shows.

The devil is in the details. What you see here on AJ is not even close to what they transmit elsewhere.

soon7x7

Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:27 pm

Quoting mham001 (Reply 8):
The devil is in the details. What you see here on AJ is not even close to what they transmit elsewhere.

Correct...Gilded lilies!. In comes Obama the Trojan Horse...Next...re-election, a weakened and troubled US economy and social structure...Another WA D.C. whore sells out for profit...AL- Jazeera sets up shop in New York City of all places. Guess who will buy the US government?...Muslim brotherhood. Might as well, they do a better job where communication is concerned. If I didn't hear it with my own ears, I would not have believed it. But don't think your coming for the guns now!

Polot

Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:42 pm

The funnest thing about this thread, other than the misguided tin foil hat conspiracy theorists, is the general belief that Al Jazeera is not broadcasted in the US already. But don't worry, Al Jazeera buying a low rated TV channel that no one frankly cares about obviously means we will soon be bowing to our terrorist overlords!

Quoting soon7x7 (Reply 9):
Correct...Gilded lilies!. In comes Obama the Trojan Horse...Next...re-election, a weakened and troubled US economy and social structure...Another WA D.C. whore sells out for profit...AL- Jazeera sets up shop in New York City of all places. Guess who will buy the US government?...Muslim brotherhood. Might as well, they do a better job where communication is concerned. If I didn't hear it with my own ears, I would not have believed it. But don't think your coming for the guns now!

Hey, if the Muslim brotherhood was able to pull off such a grand plan requiring over 4 years of preparation I say kudos to them!

[Edited 2013-01-03 08:44:20]

Pyrex

Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:05 pm

Now...I am an aspiring journalist desperate for work...but there isn't enough money in the world that could make me want to work for a network that spews terrorist propaganda

Don't worry, soon Current TV will be no more. Oh, you mean Al Jazeera? My bad...
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

N801NW

Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:31 pm

Time Warner Cable has ceased carriage of Current effective immediately.

Cadet985
Topic Author

Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:40 pm

Have you watched AJE?

Never have, never will. I do not support terrorists.

Marc

PHX787

Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:45 pm

Gore is a hypocritical jackass. he only sold it to AJ because of the money he could acquire before the tax hike on Jan. 1.

Time Warner pulled Current TV yesterday.

Yep. Their Arabic website regularly published Bin Laden's speeches
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

kngkyle
Crew

Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:58 pm

I've watched the Al Jazerra live stream a few times and found it refreshing to actually hear news from around the world, not just the US. The channel is owned and funded by the government of Qatar, which is a strong US ally, and Hillary Clinton and John McCain have both praised Al Jazerra for excellent reporting.

I wish them luck, but I don't have much hope seeing how most Americans seem to only be interested in their respective biased news sources. God forbid anyone get a different perspective on global affairs.

mbmbos

Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:49 pm

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 19):

Marc

Will you please define "terrorist" for me and please explain why Al Jazeera is "terrorist"? I trust you'll cite examples too.

zckls04

Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:58 pm

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 19):

So you boycott a channel you've never seen? I'd love to hear your reasoning.
Four Granavox Turbines!

Newark727

Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:24 pm

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 16):

Well it's a good job someone else warned you about them then, otherwise you might have had to find out for yourself!

WestJet747

Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:49 pm

Quoting Polot (Reply 9):
The funnest thing about this thread, other than the misguided tin foil hat conspiracy theorists, is the general belief that Al Jazeera is not broadcasted in the US already. But don't worry, Al Jazeera buying a low rated TV channel that no one frankly cares about obviously means we will soon be bowing to our terrorist overlords!

Al Jezeera is sourced in many national news broadcasts already, and has been for years. All these people afraid of the "terrorist news source" don't even realize that they've indirectly been watching Al Jezeera for years...

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 17):

So does my local CTV News station  

That's like saying everyone from Wisconsin is an asshole, without ever having met anyone from Wisconsin. Pretty narrow-minded way to look at things. I thought you were an "aspiring journalist"?

Quoting kngkyle (Reply 18):
The channel is owned and funded by the government of Qatar, which is a strong US ally

Exactly. The company is headquartered in Doha, which isn't exactly a bastion of jihad terrorism...
Flying refined.

Mir

Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:04 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 17):

That's like saying Fox spreads liberal propaganda because they broadcast Obama's speeches. Broadcasting a speech is not the same as spreading propaganda - if they were coming out in favor of the speeches, then you'd have an argument.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

flipdewaf

Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:24 pm

Then how do you have a clue what you are talking about? that's like me saying I don't like the taste of shark meat although I've never eaten it.
I get the feeling you'll not explain though.

Fred

STT757

Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:08 pm

Now...I am an aspiring journalist desperate for work...but there isn't enough money in the world that could make me want to work for a network that spews terrorist propaganda. I hope the FCC blocks this, or that all the major cable/satellite outlets refuse to carry it.

They're supported by the Qatar Government, a staunch ally of the US. The US has it's Central Command located at Al Udeid Air Base. Qatar built the facilities for the US.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Braniff747SP

Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:10 am

l Jazeera is nothing but terrorist propaganda. Bin Laden, Muqtada (sp?) al Sadar, etc...they aired all those tapes, and all they were was propaganda. Please...Fox News is better then Al Jazeera.
Quoting PHX787 (Reply 13):

Absurd. Al Qaeda sent them their videos because they are 'local'; I.e, they are not in Atlanta or London. Seems like the logical place to send your propaganda. By that standard, Fox or MSNBC are doing the same.

Quoting mham001 (Reply 7):

I watch the international version. Not 'terrorist propaganda'.

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 12):

For one, you are missing out on excellent reporting. The fact that you judge without even bothering to watch is telling.

Also, I highly doubt anyone of Sir David Frost's caliber would work for Al Jazeera if they were terrorists.

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 16):

All I've heard is 'they are terrorists because they have broadcast Osama's speeches'.

lewis

Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:30 am

Well you actually do - considering the way you see things in general.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129584557

johnboy

Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:44 am

Quoting soon7x7 (Reply 8):

I nominate this reply for the Paranoia Hall of Fame.

Rara

Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:51 am

Now...I am an aspiring journalist desperate for work...
Al Jazeera is nothing but terrorist propaganda.

Oh dear.   It dawns on me that there's a reason why you're looking for work. Throwing about grossly generalizing and incorrect statements about something you profess to know nothing about isn't really what employers look for in a journalist.

Here's a hint, if you want to be a journalist, have an open mind and do your own research! Treat every subject as if it were completely new to you, dive in and draw your own conclusions. It's the best way to discover interesting facts and viewpoints, and that's what journalism is all about.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

Cadet985
Topic Author

Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:00 am

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 16):

I'll be responding to replies later today when I'm more awake (it's 2:37AM here in Jerusalem), but this one I figured would be a pretty simple one. Yes, I'll boycott a channel although I've never seen based on their programming. I've never watched BET, Style, Bravo, and probably several other channels that I can't think of off the top of my head. Why? Because their programming isn't relevant to me.

I'm a 27 year old Caucasian straight male who is also Jewish. That is why the examples I cited do not appeal to me Being based in Qatar, I already know they're anti-semetic. This is not an assumption. Back in college, we frequently had UN ambassadors on campus to speak, and student leaders got to dine with them. This was back sometime between late 2003 and 2005 when I went to an appearance made by the Qatari Ambassador. While he was very affable and polite, he stated that the Qatari government fully supported the Palestinian regime, which at that point was still led by Arafat and the PLO, and did not see Israel as a legitimate State.

While they may support the US and be allies, the issue of Israel is very near and dear to me. I would love to see a network pull no punches. Sometimes the Israelis are wrong, sometimes the Palestinians are wrong. I don't want a network that's going to always say that one side is always right or wrong. Hey, I'll admit that I am a Zionist, but sometimes Israel is wrong, but I would love to see a COMPLETELY unbiased network, and I know that's a fantasy.

If you'll all excuse me, I feel my sleeping medication kicking in, so I'm turning in. I will respond to more comments tomorrow.

Marc

blueflyer

Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:24 am

Can't say I watched Current TV religiously, but getting Al Jazeera instead isn't a bad trade-off.

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 18):
I thought you were an "aspiring journalist"?

I think the reason he is "aspiring" still is plainly evident by now...

Quoting Mir (Reply 19):
if they were coming out in favor of the speeches, then you'd have an argument.

Should we mention that Al Jazeera is already available in Washington DC, or is that too much?

Quoting flipdewaf (Reply 20):
Then how do you have a clue what you are talking about?

Hate and fear of the unknown... Sadly, nothing new there.
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.

PHX787

Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:44 am

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 22):
Absurd. Al Qaeda sent them their videos because they are 'local'; I.e, they are not in Atlanta or London. Seems like the logical place to send your propaganda. By that standard, Fox or MSNBC are doing the same.

You still shouldn't ever broadcast that stuff.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

lewis

Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:46 am

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 26):
I've never watched BET, Style, Bravo, and probably several other channels that I can't think of off the top of my head. Why? Because their programming isn't relevant to me.

Boycotting something you do not know much about (apparently) and just not following a channel because it targets a completely different demographic is not the same. AJ is a news channel, their programming is made for a pretty wide international audience and its just that, news. No programming for Muslims only like how to pray in the morning or what kind of hijab color is fashionable this month. I have watched AJ here and there, their story reporting is pretty plain and objective, so much that it lacks character sometimes.

I would love to see a COMPLETELY unbiased network
I would love to see a network pull no punches.

Maybe it is out there and you haven't noticed because you tend to judge by the cover (or by what others tell you)? Has is ever come to your knowledge that AJ reporting on Israel for example is not fair on both sides and is anti-Semitic? It may be just me but for a person who seeks objectivity and unbiased reporting, the way you view things are the exact opposite.

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 27):

I think I would agree with that.

lewis

Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:52 am

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 28):

What about Ahmadinejad's speeches in the UN? What about the Phelps family? Both cases have to do with nut jobs on an endless brain fart session. Presenting the news (AKA something that is/has happened) does not mean that the media outlet condones what is being reported. NBC reporting a murder does not mean that NBC condones murder or does pro-murder propaganda. Unless you mean that they should not show anything that anyone says that you do not agree with. That's different.

Mir

Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:29 am

Being based in Qatar, I already know they're anti-semetic. This is not an assumption. Back in college, we frequently had UN ambassadors on campus to speak, and student leaders got to dine with them. This was back sometime between late 2003 and 2005 when I went to an appearance made by the Qatari Ambassador. While he was very affable and polite, he stated that the Qatari government fully supported the Palestinian regime, which at that point was still led by Arafat and the PLO, and did not see Israel as a legitimate State.

Careful, not recognizing Israel as legitimate is not the same as anti-semitism. A view toward a country is not the same as a view toward members of a particular religion.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

WestJet747

Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:42 am

That is why the examples I cited do not appeal to me Being based in Qatar, I already know they're anti-semetic. This is not an assumption.

The company's headquarters are just located in Qatar. Many of the people working for the network aren't even Qatari. If you cared to watch, you would notice many of the reporters have British accents.

As for the anti-semetism accusation, you're way off base. I watch Al Jazeera here and there, and have never heard a single anti-semetic comment.

I don't want a network that's going to always say that one side is always right or wrong.

I don't think you'll never find a perfect news network. But Al Jazeera is fairly balanced in their reporting. They aren't the anti-semetic, anti-American biased organization you blindly portray them as. Seriously, I strongly encourage you to watch it a few times and develop your opinions from your own experiences, rather than out of what you expect.

Digging your head in the sand because something is unpleasant might work for you...but I would like to know what's going on in the world, and that includes speeches, albeit hateful, from influential figures. I don't like Ahmedinejad, and he spews a lot of crap, but I still listen to his UN speeches, and I need the Al Jazeera's of the world to help me do that.
Flying refined.

zckls04

Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:49 am

I'll be responding to replies later today when I'm more awake (it's 2:37AM here in Jerusalem), but this one I figured would be a pretty simple one. Yes, I'll boycott a channel although I've never seen based on their programming. I've never watched BET, Style, Bravo, and probably several other channels that I can't think of off the top of my head. Why? Because their programming isn't relevant to me.

Not the same as "boycotting" then, is it? Nor is it comparable to your previous reasoning, which (correct me if I'm wrong) suggests watching Al-Jazeera is the equivalent of supporting terrorism.

Quote:
I'm a 27 year old Caucasian straight male who is also Jewish. That is why the examples I cited do not appeal to me Being based in Qatar, I already know they're anti-semetic. This is not an assumption. Back in college, we frequently had UN ambassadors on campus to speak, and student leaders got to dine with them. This was back sometime between late 2003 and 2005 when I went to an appearance made by the Qatari Ambassador. While he was very affable and polite, he stated that the Qatari government fully supported the Palestinian regime, which at that point was still led by Arafat and the PLO, and did not see Israel as a legitimate State.

OK, so the real reasoning is that you like to hear views which solely match yours. I can understand this if the views are those of a tiny minority of the world (hence why I don't listen to, say, 9/11 conspiracies or other crackpots), but when they are shared by a fairly large proportion of the globe, it's worth at least listening to them. You may find them abhorrent, but an enquiring mind will always want to hear both sides of every story.

Quoting Mir (Reply 31):
Careful, not recognizing Israel as legitimate is not the same as anti-semitism. A view toward a country is not the same as a view toward members of a particular religion.

Precisely. I consider the occupation of Tibet by China to be illegitimate, but I am not racist against the Chinese.

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 27):
Quoting Rara (Reply 25):
Oh dear.   It dawns on me that there's a reason why you're looking for work.

I'm afraid I disagree here. Neutrality is hardly the most sought-after quality these days in journalism. Shocking, brutal opinions sell- nobody wants to hear two sides of the story; it's too complicated. Look at Fox in the US, or the Sun in the UK. They report opinion, not fact.
Four Granavox Turbines!

DeltaMD90

Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:04 am

I used to be very anti-Al Jazeera. Then I realized I never saw it at all and only heard a few people say it was anti-'Murrican. Been to the site a few times... didn't see any "terrorist propaganda," in fact, I don't think I saw anything about the War on Terror on the site. Just a bunch of news from all over the world.

And just because they show videos from Al Qaeda, how does that make them bias? I think bias would be ignoring them. I'm not condoning terrorism at all, it's education... know all points of view even if you staunchly disagree with them.

I think more AQ videos should be shown... too many people and politicians think most of the problems in the ME are caused because a bunch of Muslims hate freedom and our prosperity or whatever. Rather see crap I disagree with than completely miss the mark and look like a fool.

**Now I'm not saying it isn't biased, I haven't seen enough of it to make a call. But some of the instant anti-AJ crap I've seen is just sad... some of the "more thought out" reasons aren't that great either (oh no, they disagree with Israeli settlement building, they must be Nazis!!!11)
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

Braniff747SP

Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:19 am

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 22):

Every network in the United States has re-broadcast several Al-Qaeda videos... all have an Al Jazeera watermark. Not only the 'terrorists' broadcast Al Qaeda messages. No reason not to broadcast news anyway.

Qatar, I already know they're anti-semetic

Everyone in Qatar is anti-Semitic? What, everyone in the Middle East is anti-Semitic too? The fact that the government of Qatar does not recognize the Israeli state does not mean that the people, much less an international news network whose English broadcasting is out of London, is anti-Semitic.

The fact that they wanted to hire Richard Quest, a gay, Jewish anchor, is quite telling.

There are several minorities at Al Jazeera that I've seen, and I'm sure that there are more behind the scenes.

I've never watched BET, Style, Bravo,

I don't watch that either. However, that is based on a knowledge of their content that is based in fact.

I'd recommend that you watch AJE's live stream online, if only for five minutes. Don't worry, as long as you don't click on ads you won't make them a dime. Maybe you'll see something that surprises you.

kpitrrat

Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:22 am

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 33):
Look at Fox in the US, or the Sun in the UK. They report opinion, not fact.

And you just made your own point.

What does the NY Times do? MSNBC? They ALL do based upon their parent companies agenda.

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 33):
Quoting Mir (Reply 31):

Precisely. I consider the occupation of Tibet by China to be illegitimate, but I am not racist against the Chinese.

I agree with this, however lets call it as it is. Israel was founded as a jewish state in 1948.

I just don't see why everyone thinks Cadets views are so outrageous.

A liberal news outlet was purchased by what I would assume to be a rather conservative outlet. Although I have never spent much time on the AJ channel I would have to say we are getting the watered down version. (Just an assumption, forgive me)

cptkrell

Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:38 am

We've been getting Al Jazeera here in TN for quite a while. I'll occassionally tune in and each time have I have percieved no biased reporting, real or by innuendo. On the other side of the coin, however, Current TV is about as biased as it gets. Cenk Uygur (sp?) makes the old Kieth Olbermann seem like a Republican Party booster. Are they trying to outdo MSNBC's disrespectful rantings?

It'll be interesting to see how this "marriage" works out. Al Gore's marriage didn't, but this $100 million or so in his pockets will allow a few more private jet flights to tell all of us how to save energy. regards...jack
all best; jack

zckls04

Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:13 am

Quoting kpitrrat (Reply 36):
And you just made your own point.

I would hope that was the case in all of my posts......

What does the NY Times do? MSNBC? They ALL do based upon their parent companies agenda.

News Corp is a more extreme example in terms of its bias and particularly of its success, hence why I picked on it.

Israel was founded as a jewish state in 1948.

They don't (or I don't at any rate). What people are criticizing is his reluctance to challenge himself by watching something that might contradict those views, even once.
Four Granavox Turbines!

jetblueguy22

Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:30 am

I feel like people are making a much bigger deal out of this than it has to be. They are a news network in a country that allows free speech. If you don't like them, don't watch them. If this was Sky News US it wouldn't even be a headline. We have news channels for the left and the right that already spew garbage. What are the odds Al Jazeera can top that? Something tells me slim to none, and slim just walked out the door. I say give them a chance to see what they have to offer.
Blue
All of the opinions stated above are mine and do not represent Airliners.net or my employer unless otherwise stated.

kpitrrat

Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:34 am

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 38):
They don't (or I don't at any rate). What people are criticizing is his reluctance to challenge himself by watching something that might contradict those views, even once.

I understand. All I am saying is that he is living in a place that has not exactly been peaceful. We have had a handful of major events happen in the last 100 years here in the US. In that region of the world there is something going on almost every day. Lets not be naive and say there is no violence over there based on religious perceptions. (I dont direct that at you I am just saying, it seems like everyone acts like he has no reason to not at least give them a view.) We are human, of course we will make assumptions and have biases based upon our past and surroundings.

However, to promote peace, sure that is the right thing to do. Give it a chance. And I understand that making some of the comments he has made has made him look worse; however I doubt Cadet watching AJ is going to help others bring peace and I would be willing to bet hes not a violent individual.

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 38):
News Corp is a more extreme example in terms of its bias and particularly of its success, hence why I picked on it.

That comment is bias unless you have some data or anything to prove otherwise. Until then, that is opinion and not fact.

Superfly

Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:38 am

I didn't even know that Current TV was owned by Al Gore. I've watched a few documentaries and they were pretty good and in-depth. They did an excellent job reporting the rising skinhead/nazi gangs in Russia and even did a documentary on my hometown of Gary, Indiana in a series dedicated to America's ghost towns.
Al Jizzera is a decent news source when it comes to non-Middle-East affairs.

Quoting falstaff (Reply 6):
I have seen it a few times and I like what I see. Since they aren't American they don't tow the Democratic Party line, like most of the US TV news shows.

Same here.
I'll even go further and say that Al Jizzera is better than CNN, BBC and MSNBC

Quoting falstaff (Reply 6):
They put out a neat piece about Detroit public schools a few years ago and very few people actually saw it, even in Detroit.

I saw it here in Bangkok.

Quoting mham001 (Reply 7):

That is true but a lot of it is in Arabic so I wouldn't understand what they're saying anyway.

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 13):
Gore is a hypocritical jackass. he only sold it to AJ because of the money he could acquire before the tax hike on Jan. 1.

Al Gore not paying his 'fair shre' of taxes?
Obama isn't going to like that.
I know Gore has been getting desperate since Obama couldn't get that Cap & Tax....err...Trade bill passed in a Democratic Congress.
That would have made Gore even richer.

Quoting kngkyle (Reply 14):
I don't have much hope seeing how most Americans seem to only be interested in their respective biased news sources. God forbid anyone get a different perspective on global affairs.

I like to watch Russia Today when it comes to international affairs. Sure they have a bias too but I want to see what they have to say.

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 18):
The company is headquartered in Doha, which isn't exactly a bastion of jihad terrorism...

I was there recently for work (trip report coming soon) and beer is only available at the 5-star hotels and cost $15 (USD) for a single bottle of beer. That is my definition of hell on earth.
Quoting Rara (Reply 25):
Oh dear. It dawns on me that there's a reason why you're looking for work. Throwing about grossly generalizing and incorrect statements about something you profess to know nothing about isn't really what employers look for in a journalist.

Here's a hint, if you want to be a journalist, have an open mind and do your own research! Treat every subject as if it were completely new to you, dive in and draw your own conclusions. It's the best way to discover interesting facts and viewpoints, and that's what journalism is all about.

Rara, if this was the perfect world then you would be correct. Sadly the world is not perfect and every single news network has a bias. In the US; MSNBC, CNN, CBS, ABC and Fox ALL have their bias and none of them are ashamed of it either.

I'm a 27 year old Caucasian straight male who is also Jewish.
I've never watched BET

I wouldn't use the term "boycott". I don't watch BET either but I wouldn't say that I "boycott" the station. There is nothing on their programming that I'm interested in.

I would love to see a COMPLETELY unbiased network, and I know that's a fantasy.

Sad but true.
BTW, what is your opinion of Russia Today? I think it's a decent news network. I know they have their critics and all.

Quoting Mir (Reply 31):

Glad you can make that distinction.

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 32):
If you cared to watch, you would notice many of the reporters have British accents.

So? Many Islamic hardliners have moved to the UK and have British accents.

A liberal news outlet was purchased by what I would assume to be a rather conservative outlet.

Liberals don't mind conservatives just as long as they're not 'Christian' conservatives. Just look at how they fall all over themselves defending Muslims despite the fact that the Muslim faith is far more restrictive and against their own views on freedom, women's rights, gay rights, artistic expression and booze. Liberals turn a blind eye to that. Al Gore even stated that he didn't want Glenn Beck to buy Current TV because Gore didn't like his views.

No point in you all beating up on Cadet985 for having his views in the profession he chooses to work in. So many others such as Soledad O'Brien, Katie Couric, Candy Crawly, Lawrence O'Donnell, Chris Matthews, Glenn Beck and many others that have their bias, I think Cadet985 would fit right in.

[Edited 2013-01-03 21:06:38]
Bring back the Concorde

zckls04

Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:39 am

Quoting kpitrrat (Reply 40):
That comment is bias unless you have some data or anything to prove otherwise. Until then, that is opinion and not fact.

Ah, but I am not a journalist. I can be as biased as I like!
Four Granavox Turbines!

SOBHI51

Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:40 am

I'll be responding to replies later today

You forgot it is an Arabic channel   

I already know they're anti-semetic.

It did not take long, boring. You might want to change your idea about AJ as they do have representatives in Israel.  
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

kpitrrat

Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:40 am

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 39):
I feel like people are making a much bigger deal out of this than it has to be. They are a news network in a country that allows free speech. If you don't like them, don't watch them. If this was Sky News US it wouldn't even be a headline. We have news channels for the left and the right that already spew garbage. What are the odds Al Jazeera can top that? Something tells me slim to none, and slim just walked out the door. I say give them a chance to see what they have to offer.
Blue

Agreed.

Personally, I could care less about AJ (as I also did not with Current).

From what I understand AJ is where many OBL tapes originated; and as some have said, they are akin to a hometown news network. I get that, but still, we do have enough "garbage" news in this country that even if they are as reputable as many have stated (I cannot say otherwise) it is already a big enough task to sift through FOX, MSNBC, CNN and the rest of them in order to get one shred of unbiased reporting.

kpitrrat

Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:48 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 41):
Liberals don't mind conservatives just as long as they're not 'Christian' conservatives.

Oh I really wasn't implying neither the political parties nor religion per-se; although I suppose there is no way around it. I was just saying Current and Al-Jazeera are on rather different ends of the "spectrum."

No point in you all beating up on Cadet985 for having his views in the profession he chooses to work in. So many others such as Soledad O'Brien, Katie Couric, Candy Crawly, Lawrence O'Donnell, Chris Matthews, Glenn Beck and many others that have their bias, I think Cadet985 would fit right in.

I wasnt trying to drum up a political/religious debate. I just felt like some were being too critical of Cadet.
Thats my   

Braniff747SP

Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:07 am

Russia Today

Good channel. I really should watch it more; it gives an interesting perspective, similar to Al Jazeera.

Superfly

Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:16 am

Quoting kpitrrat (Reply 45):
Oh I really wasn't implying neither the political parties nor religion per-se; although I suppose there is no way around it. I was just saying Current and Al-Jazeera are on rather different ends of the "spectrum."

I know you weren't but it's inevitable on a topic like this.

Quoting kpitrrat (Reply 45):
I wasnt trying to drum up a political/religious debate. I just felt like some were being too critical of Cadet.
Thats my

Agreed. There aren't that many young conservative Jewish people in media. so I say more power to Cadet985. Aside from Henry A. Kissinger, Gene Simmons and Matt Drudge, I can't think of that many.

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 46):
Good channel. I really should watch it more; it gives an interesting perspective, similar to Al Jazeera.

...and they even did a short piece on the Zil limousine.  
Bring back the Concorde

WestJet747

Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:27 am

A journalist that "boycotts" a news network without ever having once watched it? I find that outrageous.

Quoting cptkrell (Reply 37):
Cenk Uygur

His views aren't any more extreme than some of the other personalities over there...he's just much, much more obnoxious about it.

I like to watch Russia Today when it comes to international affairs. Sure they have a bias too but I want to see what they have to say.

I like to watch RT whenever I'm in a hotel, and I think they're great. I've heard some criticisms of them being "anti-American" and overly "pro-Putin", but I've never witnessed it first hand.

I was there recently for work (trip report coming soon) and beer is only available at the 5-star hotels and cost $15 (USD) for a single bottle of beer. That is my definition of hell on earth.

So how much damage did you do on the company's expense account?         

Looking forward to the TR!

So? Many Islamic hardliners have moved to the UK and have British accents.

I was referring more to actual Brits. I'm basically making the point that many of their reporters aren't Arabic.
Flying refined.

Quokkas

Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 am

...I am an aspiring journalist desperate for work
Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 1):Have you watched AJE?
Never have, never will.

I am intrigued that you wish to become a journalist. Well I suppose that is a bit different to wanting to become a reporter. I might expect a reporter to do a bit of research, a bit of digging around to see what can be uncovered, rather than simply saying the first thing that pops into his head. Perhaps a journalist doesn't need to apply the same standards. Writing a "journal" can be limited to superficial impressions rather than investigative reporting.

If you are prepared to dismiss information simply because of the source then you will possibly only get half the story. I mean, if I hate my next door neighbour should I really ignore his warning that my house is on fire? Should I risk my house burning down because I will never support someone that I hate?

I have travelled in the MENA region and seen Al Jazeera broadcasts and you know what? I was in Morocco when they reported the arrest of a man on a plane trying to set fire to his underpants. The reporting was no different to the BBC and CNN's version of events. At no stage did they commiserate with the arrested person or bemoan the failure of an attempt to bring down an aircraft.

Now I am not suggesting that you swallow everything AJ says, any more than you swallow whatever line is adopted by any other paper, but if you wish to become a serious journalist, rather than a penny-a-line hack, you may wish to reconsider at least looking at sources before evaluating them.

I can understand your not wishing to work for AJ, but to dismiss actually watching it out of hand does suggest a lack of objectivity. A lack of objectivity is what is wanted by some media barons. But then you run the risk of ceasing to be either a reporter or a journalist and simply become a propagandist.

PS. Should you ever wish to work for Israeli intelligence, you may find that watching foreign media footage sometimes confirms the whereabouts of people in whom you might be interested and with whom they are meeting. That may or may not be useful. Don't watch and you don't know.
“Not to laugh, not to cry, not to hate, but understand.” Spinoza