L0VE2FLY
Topic Author

Do You Still Wear A Watch?

Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:11 pm

The wrist watch is one of those gadgets and services that lost their popularity due to the introduction of affordable cellphones. Some people still wear watches as a fashion accessory or just to show off! So what about you, do you still wear your watch on a daily basis?

Kiwirob

RE: Do You Still Wear A Watch?

Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:21 pm

I always wear a watch, I feel weird without one.

Quoting L0VE2FLY (Thread starter):
The wrist watch is one of those gadgets and services that lost their popularity due to the introduction of affordable cellphones.

I think this is only true at the lower end of the market, the mid to luxury brands are doing well.

LH526
Crew

Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:22 pm

Yes!

For one It's a small but subtle way to spice up your attire, I have three watches I wear according to dresscode and occasion , but most of all it's faster to simply check your wrist for the time instead of having to fiddle your cellphone out of a pocket and hitting a button.
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

mickster

Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:28 pm

I have my current one (Tag Heuer Carrera) for over four years now, I love it to bits and I wear it almost all the time. I have been looking at new ones from time to time but have not been able to find a better one so far.

aloges

Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:35 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 1):
Quoting LH526 (Reply 2):
it's faster to simply check your wrist for the time instead of having to fiddle your cellphone out of a pocket and hitting a button.

Apart from customary and practical, a watch is also highly dependable. If it does have a battery, it won't need to be recharged every day like a smartphone. If you drop it, it almost certainly won't break, you don't necessarily have to keep it away from dust, dirt and water and you don't even have to switch it off during takeoff and landing.  
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

LH7478i

Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:40 pm

Me too. Once in a while I forget to put it on in the morning hassle and I really hate it. Just feels not right not to wear a watch 
A319, A320, A321, A333, A346, B733, B735, B73G, B738, B744, B748, B757, B767, CRJ200, CRJ700, CRJ900, EMB135, EMB145, E1

aerobalance

Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:08 pm

Sure do, two of my favs, one on my wrist at this moment.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b345/aerobalance/IMG_0471.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b345/aerobalance/088.jpg
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

swissy

Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:18 pm

No more! I am timeless now  

Used to but all my watches are stored now in the closed. Take them out once a while, clean them, have a look and back they go. Was weird at the beginning, now all good  

Cheerios,

Francoflier

Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:20 pm

The wrist watch is one of those gadgets and services that lost their popularity due to the introduction of affordable cellphones.

How is checking your cellphone for the time an improvement on having a wristwatch?

You have to dig it out of your pocket, or wherever you keep it, but usually out of sight by nature. Then you have wait for the screen to light up, then unlock it, then stuff it back to your pocket...

And a good watch is not necessarily an expensive watch. There are some very dependable and fashionable pieces from reputed manufacturers at pretty good prices.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Aesma

Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:43 pm

I started wearing one as a small kid, a flik flak. After that, if I hadn't my watch on, I felt weird, in fact I usually kept it on 24/7. Usually it was a Casio watch with many functions.

Then I got this really tiny cellphone, one of the first on the market with a LiPo battery, and I started using it as a watch, permitting my wrist to see the sun for the first time in years, hair to grow back too, and after a while it was putting the watch on that felt weird, so now I only wear one for fashion (which means rarely).

Once they manage to make a "tattoo watch" that pictures the time directly on the skin, I might get one, though.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

rfields5421

Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:52 pm

I still wear a watch.

I have for nearly 50 years. I've tried to go without one and use my cell phone. I made it two weeks and was miserable.

Because (1) pulling my cell phone out while driving, or working - is awkward and clumsy, and (2) it is a lot more work to look at the cell phone rather than a quick glance to my wrist.

I once bought my father a very nice Bulova Accutron, and myself one also. We both quickly realized that the watches were too expensive to risk wearing at work. We've both had watches hit while working and crystals broken.

So we both ended up wearing cheap Timex watches. I replaced mine this past April - with another Timex. The old one had lasted 12 years. I tend to go through two band before the watch quits - unless I hit it with a tool or such while working.

RussianJet

Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:01 pm

I always wear a watch and always will.

I love my mobile phone, but I simply do not accept that fishing a phone out of pocket to check is ever going to replace glancing down at your wrist. Also, a good watch looks great.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

PacNWjet

Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:08 pm

How else am I supposed to know what time it is? Pull my cell phone out of my pocket? I don't carry my cell phone with me. Besides, technology is supposed to make life easier, not more difficult. What is easier than looking at your wrist? It's right there, on your body, not in your pocket. I wear the same watch I have had since 1972. What could be easier than that?

Cadet985

Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:12 pm

Anytime I'm out of the house, I have a watch on. I just got a new G-Shock duty free on my flight back from Israel. I feel completely lost without a watch on. I own at least 4.

Marc

Aesma

Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:32 pm

Quoting PacNWJet (Reply 12):
How else am I supposed to know what time it is?

Look around ? Nowadays time is displayed everywhere. When I wore a watch I looked at it all the time, but when I stopped I realized that I knew what time it was without having to look at my phone more than a couple of times a day, so it's not really a hassle. Of course I work on computers, so I have the time in sight when working.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

A320ajm

Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:34 pm

I always wear a watch to work, as I think it looks professional and looks smart with suit/shirt and trousers. I also wear it most times I go out, unless I know there is a chance it will get lost or damaged (I have quite an expensive watch so a little protective over it). I think I wear it more as a fashion statement than a time keeping device as I always have my phone on me anyway.

If I was getting ridiculous (why not, this is a.net after all) a watch is handy to have if you were ever lost as you can use the hour hand and the sun to calculate South (and hence the other cardinal points!)  

A320ajm
If the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour.'

Braniff747SP

Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:05 am

Always, without fail. I'd feel weird without one... I wouldn't be able to forget putting it on as I'd realize imediately.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

MSPNWA

Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:06 am

I've been wearing one since I was a young teenager. When I go out I feel naked without one, so I never forget it. I use it more for function than style.

David L

Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:11 am

Quoting LH526 (Reply 2):
it's faster to simply check your wrist for the time instead of having to fiddle your cellphone out of a pocket and hitting a button.

Some people still wear watches as a fashion accessory or just to show off!

I wear a watch for the opposite reason. I don't feel the urge to walk around with my phone in one hand and a bottle of designer water in the other. In addition, I go for functional watches rather than "jewelry" watches, e.g. I'll take Casio over Rolex any day of the week.

Quoting Aesma (Reply 14):
Look around ? Nowadays time is displayed everywhere.

Hmm... my experience is quite different.

fbgdavidson

Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:12 am

I feel naked without one, and I rather like them too. Breitling x 3, and looking to add another.

"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

mal787

Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:22 am

Always have , and always will. Mine never comes off except to give the band a clean, its amazing the gunk that gets in them

mal787
BN2 Metro, 402,404, Conquest, king air, 707,727.200, 732,733,734,735,736,738,757,762,763,742,743,744, MD11, DC9,Westwind

IMissPiedmont

Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:47 am

I've never developed the addiction to watches. For some reason I always know what time it is without looking at anything except the sun and shadows. But I do have to admit that I have no need to be closer than 10 or so minutes to the actual time.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

Tugger

Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:59 am

Yes, a nice, simple Seiko:

I don't need a watch but I like having one, I only just got a watch again after a few years without one.
I am not a watch fanatic (I can't countenance spending a significant amount of money on a watch or having multiple watches, not that there is anything wrong with that   ) but I must have a good watch with a sapphire crystal, good name, etc.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

larshjort

Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:15 am

I haven't worn a watch for the last 6 years. When I started working as an aircraft technician I took of my watch easch day when starting work, and after a few weeks I stopped putting it back on again. Now I've changed my trade I'm considering buying a Junkers watch, I have always liked the look of them.

/Lars
139, 306, 319, 320, 321, 332, 34A, AN2, AT4, AT5, AT7, 733, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 146, AR1, BH2, CN1, CR2, DH1, DH3, DH4,

cmf

Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:23 am

I have not worn a watch in some 15 years. Rarely wore one before that. Crazy thing, I own several.
Don’t repeat earlier generations mistakes. Learn history for a better future.

nwadeicer

Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:46 am

No, I like both arms to weigh the same.
I miss the Red Tail

LAXintl

Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:56 am

Have not warn a watch on regular basis in maybe 10-years.

Virtually always surrounded by clocks anyhow. From appliances at home, to computer, to cell phone etc..

I have a nice collection of watches, but just cant quite find the enthusiasm to put one on except maybe a couple times a year.

Basically a watch is more cost and hassle then benefit imo..
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Tugger

Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:57 am

Quoting NWAdeicer (Reply 25):

But the trick that the extra weight of the watch offsets the tendency for one arm to be longer due to it being the one you scratch yer a** with (so you gotta wear the watch on the other arm).

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

iFlyLOTs

Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:07 am

I wear a cheap digital watch for a few reasons.

Over the summer I needed one because I worked at a summer camp and in front of the campers you weren't allowed to use your phone, so it started to grow on me, and being a student pilot I found it hard to keep figure out Zulu time so I set the second time to Zulu so I never forget, I also use it to help me time my holds and other stuff as the clocks are in different spots on all of the planes at the flight school so it's just easier for me that way.

I honestly am upset with myself that I let myself go 19 and a half years without realizing the greatness of the watch.
"...stay hungry, stay foolish" -Steve Jobs

Kent350787

Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:33 am

I don't wear one as regualrly as I used to, being a little more active in summer. I own several (my Georg Jensen Koppel being the favourite), but leave them for work or the evenings.

n229nw

Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:38 am

I can't imagine not wearing one.

Quoting PacNWJet (Reply 12):
How else am I supposed to know what time it is? Pull my cell phone out of my pocket? ...technology is supposed to make life easier, not more difficult. What is easier than looking at your wrist?

Quoting francoflier (Reply 8):
And a good watch is not necessarily an expensive watch.

I have a Coleman watch I got for $20 at Target a few years ago and it works great and looks nice.
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

dl021

Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:30 am

A watch is on when your phone falls in the river. A watch shows time when your phone battery dies. A watch shows you the time when your phone is out of range or is reading out the wrong time because it hasn't updated. A watch is on your wrist and can be checked subtly without making a production of it. A watch can be viewed while you're driving/flying/skydiving/scuba diving/lawn mowing/having sex/washing your dog/playing piano all without having to dig out or push buttons on a phone. A watch will last you a lifetime if properly maintained every five or ten years. A phone lasts until the next plan comes out.

Children fail to see the need and utiltitymof watches. Adults understand the need and utility.

The right watch appreciates in value. Does any phone?

There is this one phone that fits on your wrist and tells time....I'm cool with that one.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

GlobalMoose

Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:33 am

I don't know how generational it is, but I'm 25 and feel naked without my watch while some of my peers just use their cell.

Also, as a pilot I feel like I have to uphold the stereotype of having over the top pilot watches!

My top three are a Breitling Airwolf Raven with a Co-Pilot Bracelet, Rolex GMT II, and Bremont C-17 Globemaster III.

Next on the purchase list is a Breitling Navitimer World and a Bell&Ross GMT.
When it absolutely positively has to be there ... at some point.

RussianJet

Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:10 am

Quoting dl021 (Reply 31):
A watch can be viewed while you're driving/flying/skydiving/scuba diving/lawn mowing/having sex

Caution: Looking at your watch while having sex can result in serious trouble.

Aeri28

Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:15 am

I notice no one is posting pix of their Timex's.

I've been considering getting back into wearing a watch. I like how they look, but it's been years since I have worn one. I was pretty shocked at how much Swatch's cost these days (not that I plan on buying one, but they did have several non colorized versions).

II dunno. I ll keep looking till one catches my eye.

RussianJet

Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:20 am

Quoting Aeri28 (Reply 34):
I was pretty shocked at how much Swatch's cost these days (not that I plan on buying one, but they did have several non colorized versions).

Yeah. I bought one about five years back, mostly metal with a see-through design. Looks great but really it sucks - keeps awful time. My Seiko Kinetic on the other hand troops on with superb accuracy.

Dreadnought

Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:28 am

I think this is only true at the lower end of the market, the mid to luxury brands are doing well.

I own a collection of Breitlings, TAG Heuers and Bucherers and Omegas, and I have to say I haven't worn a watch in 6 months.
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

Geezer

Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:33 am

I quit wearing watches in 1997. Part of the reason is, 90% of the time I don't even care what time it is; if I look out the window and it's dark out, I know it's night time; (ditto if it's light out) I have a $19, battery powered "atomic" clock right above my computer that keeps time to a 10 th of a second; I bought the thing 4 or 5 years ago; it even re-sets it's self for daylight savings time. A few days ago, the original battery finally went dead; (after 4 or 5 years); took about 2 minutes to stick 2 new AA's in it before I went to bed last night. This morning it had re-set it's self from the time signal from WWV, and is back, working flawlessly.

Most of the things I do, I do when I want to, not when I have to. I have to take my wife to the PD Center a couple of times a month, but she keeps track of that. About the only thing I have to remember to do, is to wheel the trash can out to the road on Tuesday night, as the garbage truck comes about noon on Wednesday, and I'm seldom up that early.

About the only time I bother to take my cell phone with me is when the wife and I are going to be in a larger store, then we both take our Trac phones so we can keep "Trac" of each other.

Actually, anytime it's decent weather and the sun is out, I can usually estimate what time it is within an hour or so, and
that's usually plenty close enough for most of what I need to do. So for me, a watch is simply something I have no need for. Usually when I go any place I take the Cube, and the clock in it is always "right on"; anytime I take my iPod with me, it always keeps pretty good time, and if I have any reason to know the time, I can always take the Trac phone with me.

It's kind of funny..........I didn't think of this until just now........even though I never wear a watch, I have a LOT of clocks! not necessarily to keep track of the time, but I just happen to like clocks; until a couple of years ago, the wife used to work 2 days a week at an antique shop, and we always rented a couple of booths there and sold antiques. Everyone who sells antiques always goes to lots of auctions, and every auction always sells a few clocks; I used to buy clocks all the time, kept the ones I liked, and usually sold the rest; I finally bought a few clock books and learned how to work on them. (Most clocks are pretty simple) So in addition to the clock over the computer, (and the one in the computer, there's a clock over the TV, two on the mantel over the fireplace, one on the wall in the cat's bathroom, a coo-coo clock and a "weight" clock, plus two pendulum case clocks on the wall in the living room, and also my BEST clock of all, my walnut tall case clock, (commonly referred to in the U.S. as a "Grandfather" clock), which sits beside one of my curio cabinets. (They all work, if and when I take the trouble to wind them, and pull the the weight down on the weight clock.
Come to think of it, there's also a wall clock in the master bedroom, and another one in the "big" bathroom. (plus the one on the stove in the kitchen !) Damn.......I almost forgot about all the clocks; it would be kinda silly for me to waste money on a watch !

Charley

P.S. I just spotted two more antique case clocks on the book case at the end of the sofa in the family room.
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

CXfirst

Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:41 am

I've always been wearing watches, so it feels odd not having one on my left wrist.

Also, for my part time work (ramp agent), I'm required to wear a watch in order to keep track of which flights are coming in, etcetera. But in this climate, I've got a serious tan line where my watch usually goes, so even when I'm not wearing a watch, it looks like I'm wearing a watch.  

I've also ordered a Pebble Smartwatch, as my current watch is getting a bit worn. I'll see how I like it. A $150 investment isn't the worst thing, and if it doesn't work for me, I'll go back to a traditional watch.

-CXfirst

Stealthz

Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:12 am

Quoting Aeri28 (Reply 34):
I notice no one is posting pix of their Timex's.

I'm not proud, here's mine..

My Omega SpeedMaster professional and Flightmaster have been shown in previous threads.

My work is time sensitive and my multiple computer screens are often so crowded it is quite frequent that a quick glance at my wrist is the best way to check the time.

My phone, an LG gains about a minute a day even when set to synch with the Telco system so is not a reliable time reference(even if I was allowed to have it on the desk with me at work.)
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

FlyboyOz

Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:12 am

It has been long time.... I still can't find which watch i like. I want it something very fancy, sleek and smart and has lots of multi-function!
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

N1120A

Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:15 am

I have worn a watch everyday since I was a kid. Whether it was one of those Casio calculators or my current Tissot PR50 that I adore, I can't remember not wearing one. My dad has always worn a watch and I just see them as necessary, even if they aren't.

Much to the quoted poster's consternation, I love my watch and don't want to replace it, even though I can afford a more expensive one.

Quoting dl021 (Reply 31):
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Francoflier

Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:27 am

Quoting NWAdeicer (Reply 25):

Actually, both arms rarely weigh the same, unless you're perfectly ambidextrous and use them equally.

Otherwise, your dominant side arm is likely heavier than the other, and even putting a watch on the weaker arm is not enough to compensate for the difference...

I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

HAWK21M

Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:36 am

Sure do.
But it needs to be dual timer with an analog/digital display....  
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

JBirdAV8r

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:50 am

I am required to wear a watch while on duty by my company. I don't wear one a whole lot on my days off, because it's nice to be free from the clock for at least a little while. If I'm out and about, though, I throw it on.

I fly with a Breitling Chrono Colt. I love the Breitlings--sophisticated, yet understated--but that's the only "real watch" I own. I don't wear it to show off or to be seen with it, but I do think it makes a statement about me. Sensible, but with good taste.  
Quoting GlobalMoose (Reply 32):
Also, as a pilot I feel like I have to uphold the stereotype of having over the top pilot watches!My top three are a Breitling Airwolf Raven with a Co-Pilot Bracelet, Rolex GMT II, and Bremont C-17 Globemaster III. Next on the purchase list is a Breitling Navitimer World and a Bell&Ross GMT.

...yeeaaahhhh...I think you're going to find you stand alone among pilots with a collection like that. A huge chunk of the guys I fly with wear something in more of a Timex flavor, even those who could afford much, much more.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

ajd1992

Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:00 pm

I would love to wear a watch but I can't because of a learning disability I have. I can't have things around my wrist (or neck for that matter, drives my college crazy as we're supposed to wear ID around our necks). Loose or tight, it doesn't feel okay and it makes me panic sometimes.

Stupid I know, but checking a phone works okay for me anyway as it's always in my left pocket of my jeans and nothing else is ever in there (apart from car keys on the odd occasion).

blueflyer

Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:03 pm

Not for a few years, but I keep wanting to go buy one.
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.

nickh

Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:23 pm

Even though I do not usually wear a wristwatch, here's an exception:

A colleague gave me a Casio Photo/Video wristwatch which has a discrete 1-megapixel camera built into the front side of the watch face assembly. It shoots both still images and video (no sound) for short bursts.

Before you get the wrong idea, NO, I DO NOT use it for anything illegal or "just_plain_stupid", but it is a neat thing to wear sometimes, as a conversation piece.
The LCD screen will display a b/w image of the image or video clip that you just shot, and although the battery life and available storage memory is very limited, it is a somewhat functional gadget.
The USB docking station allows you to download the images/clips to your computer of choice.

The name is "Bond.... James Bond...."

-Nick
"We all have wings, but some of us don't know why..."

CXB77L

Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:36 pm

I echo those who wear watches because it is easier to check my wrist for the time than to fish out my phone. I always wear a watch when I'm out. The only time that I don't have it on is if I'm at home, or if I'm out and I've forgotten to put it on.

I don't need nor want a fancy jewellery watch. I only want one that's functional. Right now I have a (sort of) cheap analogue watch with a white face and a black leather strap. I like it, but personally I would prefer a digital watch that could display the time in 24 hour format, but finding a good digital dress watch with a leather (not metal, and most definitely not plastic) strap has proven to be rather difficult. So I'll settle for analogue.
Boeing 777 fanboy

CupraIbiza

Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:21 pm

Yes but only since I took up running.
Now I wear it everywhere. Its great way to strike up a conversation with a fellow runner

Everyday is a gift…… but why does it have to be a pair of socks?