Dreadnought
Topic Author

Top Gear Is Back!

Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:59 pm

In less than 24 hours  

Preview here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VPei3rNWqWk

We've been in withdrawal for a year now, since they cancelled last summer's season due to the Olympics. Frankly I would have preferred that they cancelled the Olympics because they interfered with Top Gear, but anyway...

But I am a bit bummed that they only have 6 shows this season - I would have hoped that they would have stacked their Summer budget and done enough for at least 10 shows.
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

srbmod

RE: Top Gear Is Back!

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:10 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Thread starter):

For the first time, the new episodes will air on BBC America barely a week after they aired in the UK. The US version will start back up pretty soon as well, so we'll definitely get out Top Gear fill in the next few months.

WarRI1

Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:07 am

It is good, something we can both agree on. I will check that out tomorrow night. Just today, I rearranged my/our DVR so I can watch programs in my favorite place. I had the DVR there, big mistake. My wife records every thing that I do not watch. There was always a conflict. Not anymore, she will move, not I.

[Edited 2013-01-26 16:08:18]
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Newark727

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:11 am

Can I get a "freaking finally?" We've kept trying to record it on DVR in my house and kept getting retreads of old material.

Braniff747SP

Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:16 am

Hallelujah. I'll be watching it tomorrow... can't wait.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

trav110

Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:43 am

Is there any word on when it will be available on BBC Canada?

B777LRF

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:35 am

finalgear.com is your friend if you're not in the UK. They'll usually provide a link for downloading within 30 minutes of the show having aired.
From receips and radials over straight pipes to big fans - been there, done that, got the hearing defects to prove

Francoflier

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:32 pm

With such a cult following, it's a shame that the BBC is not able to be more consistent with shooting episodes.

They look expensive and long to produce, but it can't be more than a drop in the bucket for the BBC.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

ajd1992

Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:25 pm

Quoting francoflier (Reply 7):

They look expensive and long to produce, but it can't be more than a drop in the bucket for the BBC.

I read the budget per episode was £250,000. All paid for by the British people. Watch it or not, you're still paying for it  

I can't wait. I love Top Gear.

ba6590

Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:48 pm

At last, a reason to look forward to Sunday evenings again.

But I am a bit bummed that they only have 6 shows this season

The TV guide on my Sky box says tonight's episode is 1/7. So there is hope we might get one more than 6.

moo

Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:56 pm

Quoting ajd1992 (Reply 8):
I read the budget per episode was £250,000. All paid for by the British people. Watch it or not, you're still paying for it  

Actually, Top Gear is funded 100% from Top Gear revenue, as they produce a profit for the BBC just from over seas sales  

BMI727

Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:05 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 1):
The US version will start back up pretty soon as well, so we'll definitely get out Top Gear fill in the next few months.

It's getting better, but still nowhere close to the UK version.

Quoting ba6590 (Reply 9):
The TV guide on my Sky box says tonight's episode is 1/7. So there is hope we might get one more than 6.

The seventh might be a "Best of" episode.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Braniff747SP

Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:15 pm

Quoting ajd1992 (Reply 8):

Top Gear makes more money for the BBC than anything else. It's watched in 170 countries... it is a cash cow.

srbmod

Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:04 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 11):
It's getting better, but still nowhere close to the UK version.

They're pretty much doing their own versions of the stunts that the UK version has previously done, which probably makes it easier to do shows. I'm sure many of the viewers of the US version of the show have not watched a lot of the earlier series of the mother show (BBC America has done a really great job with airing the earlier series of the show and most of the episodes are also available for streaming via Netflix [although some episodes from some seasons are not available].) so these stunts are new to them.

moo

Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:47 pm

I'm withholding judgement until after tonights episode, but to be honest I don't have high hopes - half a season last year, no Christmas special (after a Christmas special the previous year that was totally panned), only 6 episodes this season and a low key run up to its start.

Last years season seemed a little forced as well, but then I was surprised that the three had signed 3 year contract extensions at the start of this year, so either they feel they've refreshed it enough so it won't totally die this year.

qf002

Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:13 pm

Quoting ba6590 (Reply 9):
Quoting BMI727 (Reply 11):
The seventh might be a "Best of" episode.

It looks like they've rolled the Christmas Special into the normal season, which has bumped it up to 7 episodes rather than the planned 6.

Dreadnought
Topic Author

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:49 pm

I'm still downloading the broadcast torrent - still an hour to go. I'm sitting here jones-ing like a drug addict 

B777LRF

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:34 pm

Well, the boys are back in form. Excellent footage, great cars and that wicked sense of humour you only get on the original TG. In fact, it it was not for the humour it would not be worth watching. Which is where, I believe, TG US falls flat on its face. Those 3 guys simply are not funny. Neither were the 3 ozmates.

For those still downloading, it will be worth it. Rallying a Bently Conti is such a preposterous idea, it cannot fail. And it does not. Jezza building his own car and trying to flog it at Dragons Den was brilliant. Fastest SIARPC ever as well. Sort of.

And there is a new fastest car on the TG track to boot.
From receips and radials over straight pipes to big fans - been there, done that, got the hearing defects to prove

Redd

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:53 pm

I'm downloading as we speak... It's insane how important this show has become to us guys,,, I'm all giddy waiting to watch the episode... hehe...

Braniff747SP

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:04 am

It was a good episode; I'm glad they are back.

RussianJet

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:06 am

Quoting B777LRF (Reply 17):
And there is a new fastest car on the TG track to boot.

Yeah - that new Pagani was awesome, and beautiful.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

Polot

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:46 am

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 20):
Yeah - that new Pagani was awesome, and beautiful.

It is overall beautiful, but I couldn't stop staring at those side view mirrors.

ArmitageShanks

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:06 am

I work at a ski resort in Colorado and we had top gear here two weeks ago filming a segment on the ski slopes. They were racing a Bentley against a skier down the mountain. So look for that soon.

Redd

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:08 am

The episode was great, the Pagani was amazing... Good to see top gear again!.

Dreadnought
Topic Author

Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:51 am

Quoting Redd (Reply 23):
the Pagani was amazing

We saw something very new today - those active airfoil panels on the Pagani seemed to be very effective. I wonder how soon Ferrari, Lambo and others start doing the same on their hypercars.

AeroWesty

Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:22 am

Hmm, it was one of those episodes where I probably wouldn't watch it again if I had the DVD. Too much sideshow, and not enough driving. James' Bentley segment ended abruptly, almost as if the film had run out.
International Homo of Mystery

BlueElephant

Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:44 am

Brilliant Episode. The ending was hilarious as they managed to combine two of my favorite shows! Looks like its going to be a great season, and I hope to see Lewis Hamilton come back and get the top time.

Top Gear US starts on Tuesday for its 3rd season and while its not as good as the UK version (obviously), its gotten progressively better, and I will be watching it as well.

CPH-R

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:26 am

Bog standard Top Gear episode, so overall not too bad a way to spend an hours time. The Pagani is stunning, the Bentley rally segment was amusing, Damian Lewis equally so (terrible luck with the weather, I was hoping he'd be asked to come back on a slightly better day weatherwise), and the P45 segment went on for too long.

Looks like they'll have a US race of sorts, a Nile episode, and another train vs. car segment (but where to? They've done the TGV twice already, so Germany perhaps? Didn't look like an ICE though...)

aerorobnz

Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:15 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 24):
I wonder how soon Ferrari, Lambo and others start doing the same on their hypercars.

Ferrari, on the very next F70...almost certainly.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

RussianJet

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:35 pm

Anyone familiar with the British 80's children's tv show Rainbow may well enjoy this Top Gear spoof - not for the easily-offended though! It's hilarious, just look past the shoddily-assembled puppets and bear with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMHhy-mGndI
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

sturmovik

Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:39 pm

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 27):
the P45 segment went on for too long.

I thought so too. Wasn't too funny towards the end, but maybe that's because I wasn't entirely clued in on Dragon's Den. The Pagani was just awesome, and I agree with the Hamster when he said that Pagani are doing what Lambo and Ferrari did a few decades back. And a 1:13 time..! I'm waiting for the day something does the TG track in under a minute   

Overall, the montage for the season looks promising, however I doubt they'll beat the specials of the past (Namibia, Vietnam).
'What's it doing now?'

dazbo5

Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:45 pm

Quoting sturmovik (Reply 30):
I'm waiting for the day something does the TG track in under a minute

It's already been done, 59 seconds from memory, just not by a road legal car! It's amazing to see how the times have fallen since the new format Top Gear started. Only a few years ago, there wasn't much to beat 1 minute 20 seconds. Now look at the times. It show's how much engineering and technology is improving year on year.

Darren
Equipment: 2x Canon EOS 50D; Sigma 10-20 EX DC HSM, 50-500 EX APO DG, Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Speedlite 430EX

Dreadnought
Topic Author

Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:55 pm

Quoting sturmovik (Reply 30):

Overall, the montage for the season looks promising, however I doubt they'll beat the specials of the past (Namibia, Vietnam)

It's a tough one - when they first started doing special, full episode shows (in order: Winter Olympics, North Pole, Botswana, Vietnam, Bolivia, Middle East, India) it was new and different. Now we have come to a point that we expect a special show at least once a year. You can only do Africa or jungles so often before you start repeating yourself.

India was panned for a lot of reasons - but mostly because bits were obviously scripted and they pretend it isn't. C'mon, the placement of the signs on the trains was just a little too convenient, getting ripped just in the right place. Some moments were just stupid - did they really expect their dinner party in Delhi to be anything but a complete failure? It's so embarassingly bad I fast forward through that whole part if I rewatch it. You did not get that sense of "pushing too hard" from the earlier attempts like Botswana or North Pole.

AeroWesty

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:44 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 32):
You can only do Africa or jungles so often before you start repeating yourself.

I'm looking forward to next week's race, which is supposed to be Vegas to Los Angeles to the Springs, then on down to Mexico. I still think the best full-episode race/special was the in-episode Challenger-Corvette-Cadillac race to the Salt Flats in series 12. They were still doing mainly pure driving rather than making the local antics the focus of the show.

moo

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:07 pm

The India special failed because it was just a road trip, with European sourced cars - all of the other road trip style specials had a goal (beat the cost and convenience of a fly-drive, find the best road for driving, drive the spine of africa etc), challenges set by the crew and most of them had an inbuilt source of amusement in cars that invariably failed, while India was nothing more than "we spent thousands of pounds on imported cars, and had a drive round".

Dreadnought
Topic Author

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:26 pm

Here is an idea for a future special. To drive the entire length of the old Trans Siberian Railroad in Soviet-era Russian cars.

canoecarrier

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:35 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 1):

For the first time, the new episodes will air on BBC America barely a week after they aired in the UK. The US version will start back up pretty soon as well, so we'll definitely get out Top Gear fill in the next few months.

I gave the US version a chance at first, but it's shorter because of commercial breaks and not nearly as good as the UK version. I haven't watched it since the 3rd episode of Season 1. The chemistry of the hosts can't compare to Hammond, Clarkson and May.

Quoting francoflier (Reply 7):

I read somewhere that Top Gear UK is the most watched TV show in the world. If the BBC isn't making bucket loads of money off this show something's wrong.

You can only do Africa or jungles so often before you start repeating yourself.

This year they're doing another Africa special where they're going to use estate cars bought online. I really liked the last Africa special where Hammond drove Oliver.

Easily one of the best shows on TV worldwide, I can't wait for this season.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

BlueElephant

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:07 pm

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 36):
I gave the US version a chance at first, but it's shorter because of commercial breaks and not nearly as good as the UK version. I haven't watched it since the 3rd episode of Season 1. The chemistry of the hosts can't compare to Hammond, Clarkson and May.

While I agree it does not compare to the UK version, I have to admit that it has gotten much better since the first season, their chemistry has certainly improved and at least (for the most part) U.S. people can identify with most of the cars.

I'd give it another chance. 3rd season starts tomorrow.

Braniff747SP

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:09 pm

I read somewhere that Top Gear UK is the most watched TV show in the world. If the BBC isn't making bucket loads of money off this show something's wrong.

It is by far the most popular show that the BBC has; they make millions, more than anything else they do.

Dreadnought
Topic Author

Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:43 am

No advertising on BBC2 - most viewers download it off of the 'net. Not that much money to be made that way.

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 37):

The first season was a simple re-hash of the British episodes. Second season they are starting to do their own thing.

But I am hoping that they stop being so US-centric, and start spending a little time on the international front. It might be fun seeing those three trying to deal with Africa or Asia  

AeroWesty

Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:47 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 39):
No advertising on BBC2 - most viewers download it off of the 'net. Not that much money to be made that way.

No, most viewers watch it on commercial stations/networks around the world who pay the BBC a licensing fee to broadcast the show. It works just like a syndicated show to independent stations in the US would work.

ltbewr

Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:54 am

I am of mixed feelings of the UK Top Gear and the US version. Showing exotic cars pushed to limits, some parts of their 'on the road' shows are great, but some of their behavior is just cringe producing and insulting to locals. Sometimes their humor is a bit childish. I am online with some people in the UK who love British Cars, especially those of Austin/Rover/Jaguar/Morris et al, and bash Top Gear UK for their apparent hatred of and destroying fine examples of such cars (like a Marina) as well as the host's behaviors.
If you want something a bit different there is Fifth Gear. In the USA it is shown on the Discovery-Velocity cable/dish channel A bit less silly and destructive, they have in their 3-4 main players an adult woman, and in recent episodes I have seen one of Asian Indian heritage - it's not just a white man's club as TG UK and US are. I am surprised that the US version didn't have a better mix of hosts.

Yes, I will watch UK TG when on BBC America (with it poor grade commercials) and US TG, and if I catch it, Fifth Gear.

BlueElephant

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:16 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 39):
But I am hoping that they stop being so US-centric, and start spending a little time on the international front. It might be fun seeing those three trying to deal with Africa or Asia

I agree here, but for what it's worth, I don't think TGUK did anything internationally (outside of Europe) until season 7 or 8. They have to get a bigger budget.

But as we have some time till the next episode, probably my favorite TGUK challenge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtTnfFH2Hjc

and Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhwoUxeTWsA
The first 15 seconds of this clip - sums up just about everything I love about Top Gear UK

canoecarrier

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:41 am

I loved the first episode of TG UK Season 19, glad I found a way to stream it online. I think May wears the same shirts every year.

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 37):

After I watched the TG UK episode tonight I watched the US TG Season 3 Episode 5 by random to give it a chance. It was the "Tractor Challenge". 75% of the episode was 3 guys in tractors trying to cart cows around or move barns to a farmer's house before they even started talking about cars. No thanks, completely boring. The NY guy is annoying and I may be wrong but the only one of the three hosts that drives a car that goes over 200 mph is a race car driver. At least on TG UK all three of them do that. Mr. Slow even holds the record for going the fastest in a supercar on the UK version.

I'd like to watch the Aussie version to give it a try as well. They were guests on the UK show when they did the top bottom car race. Anyone got a link?

BMI727

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:57 am

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 43):
After I watched the TG UK episode tonight I watched the US TG Season 3 Episode 5 by random to give it a chance. It was the "Tractor Challenge". 75% of the episode was 3 guys in tractors trying to cart cows around or move barns to a farmer's house before they even started talking about cars.

I like the variety per episode of the UK version much better than the US version. Usually it seems that the pattern is a big challenge followed by a race with something cool.

That said, I can understand why they do it:
1) The US version has sponsors, so doing car reviews like the UK version could get awkward as they need ad revenue. I know this issue was talked about a lot leading up to the debut of the US version but I haven't heard much since. The producers probably like the crazy Top Gear stuff more than just being a funnier version of Motorweek anyway, which leads to the second point.
2) They have less time. Losing twenty minutes or so per episode is no small matter. I think in the US the UK versions usually have the news segment cut and sometimes part of the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car interview. Again, I can see why the showrunners would want to spend the time they have on fun stuff.
3) It has better rerun value. I like the old Top Gears they show here, but while the challenges and races are always excellent, even I lose some interest if they are reviewing the last generation 5 Series or something like that. Not having the more serious newsy bits helps the show play better in the future.

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 43):
The NY guy is annoying and I may be wrong but the only one of the three hosts that drives a car that goes over 200 mph is a race car driver.

That's another issue with the US version that made it a bit less entertaining than the UK version although it seems to be getting a bit better. In the UK version, all three of the hosts are for the most part equally inept, although each in his own way. In the US version, Tanner is a better driver than the other two so he either stomps the others or the challenges have to be made so they don't favor a professional driver. I think that any of them could and would do a high performance segment, but when you put them head to head it isn't a fair fight.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

sturmovik

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:58 am

You did not get that sense of "pushing too hard" from the earlier attempts like Botswana or North Pole.
Quoting moo (Reply 34):
while India was nothing more than "we spent thousands of pounds on imported cars, and had a drive round".

Indeed. There were so many challenges they could've set themselves here, instead they just drove up some hills and left their cars there. It was really disappointing. From this season's montage, it looks like they're going to be following the river Nile in Africa. I hope it doesn't end up like the India special.

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 35):
To drive the entire length of the old Trans Siberian Railroad in Soviet-era Russian cars.

Or, maybe race the Trans Siberian (maybe a portion of it, considering vast stretches of roads in that neck of the woods aren't worth writing home about) on another mode of transport. They really ought to do a Russia special, I'm sure there's tons of possibilities in a country that huge. Maybe James can fly one of his little airplanes into Red Square retracing the path of Mathias Rust while Pinky and Perky chase him down in BMP-3s carrying Igla missiles.  
'What's it doing now?'

canoecarrier

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:41 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 44):
I like the variety per episode of the UK version much better than the US version. Usually it seems that the pattern is a big challenge followed by a race with something cool.

I agree, the UK version is much better because of the variety. Mostly each host gets a segment all to their own and they sometimes get them all together as well.

The US version has sponsors, so doing car reviews like the UK version could get awkward as they need ad revenue.

The US version could add variety if they looked at the time between each commercial break as a segment and give each host individual time like the UK version does. That said, Europeans are much more interested in supercars than Americans. I'm not sure that format would work.

They have less time. Losing twenty minutes or so per episode is no small matter. I think in the US the UK versions usually have the news segment cut and sometimes part of the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car interview. Again, I can see why the showrunners would want to spend the time they have on fun stuff.

I think there is a lot of fun stuff in the UK version. And, a lot of Hollywood folks like the show and show up there. Admittedly, I don't watch the US version much but it would be nice if they could pull off a Star in a Reasonably Priced Car here with the US version.

Polot

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:50 pm

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 46):
I think there is a lot of fun stuff in the UK version. And, a lot of Hollywood folks like the show and show up there. Admittedly, I don't watch the US version much but it would be nice if they could pull off a Star in a Reasonably Priced Car here with the US version.

They use to, but they haven't a "Big Star, Small Car" (as they call it) segment in quite a while. That is completely fine with me, it use to be one of the worse segments of the show and honestly the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car is generally one of the weaker points of the UK show.

Geezer

Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:15 am

Wow ! After reading about 20 posts so far, I'm beginning to think I must be the only guy in the whole world who doesn't watch "Top Gear" ! BTW...............what is it anyway ? Something about cars ? If so, it's probably why I don't watch it; (not too interested in cars)

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

Dreadnought
Topic Author

Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:49 am

Quoting Geezer (Reply 48):

Wow ! After reading about 20 posts so far, I'm beginning to think I must be the only guy in the whole world who doesn't watch "Top Gear" ! BTW...............what is it anyway ? Something about cars ? If so, it's probably why I don't watch it; (not too interested in cars)

I think you'd enjoy it. It's not a car geek show like 'Motorweek'. It's fun.