laxmia

DOT Secretary LaHood Resigns

Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:12 pm

Didn't see anything on here yet about this, but Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood submitted his resignation today. Under his watch, the DOT implemented a number of regulations that were anti-airline and anti-business - notably the "tarmac" rule that fines airlines for delays on the ground. Similarly, his tenure oversaw no meaningful progress on the long-promised "Next Gen" ATC... beyond more cost overruns and delays.

For those of you who follow Mike Boyd's "Hot Flash," you'll understand why this may be the best news of the year for the aviation community.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ry-lahood-to-leave-post/?hpt=hp_t3

justloveplanes

RE: DOT Secretary LaHood Resigns

Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:21 pm

curious timing.

I think this is a political expediency to get the Dreamliners back up. As has been stated on the other thread, NTSB painted itself into a box with little room for an alternative solution path. This is one way to fix it.

cornutt

Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:27 pm

Quoting justloveplanes (Reply 1):
This is one way to fix it.

Actually, I hope not. Even if it's true that the grounding was politically motivated, doing this will just add momentum to the conspiracy theories if the grounding is now lifted.

However, LaHood's resignation is good news for all sectors of transportation, not just aviation. I'll leave it at that.

LAXintl

Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:45 pm

Could not come a day too soon.

La Hood was a bull in a china shop.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

sw733

Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:49 pm

curious timing

I don't really know why. There are plenty of other cabinet members who are leaving right now. Pretty common for the start of a second term.

sankaps

Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:51 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 4):
I don't really know why. There are plenty of other cabinet members who are leaving right now. Pretty common for the start of a second term.

Exactly. And as for him being anti-business, he is a Republican. Aren't they considered pro-business?

XT6Wagon

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:05 pm

Quoting LAXMIA (Thread starter):
Under his watch, the DOT implemented a number of regulations that were anti-airline and anti-business - notably the "tarmac" rule that fines airlines for delays on the ground

biased much? Pretty much any other industry in america would see criminal charges if they were holding people against their will for 6+ hours. The airlines were doing it multiple times a year.

The Airlines failed to self-regulate themselves and so got the regulations imposed from above.

curious timing.

I think this is a political expediency to get the Dreamliners back up. As has been stated on the other thread, NTSB painted itself into a box with little room for an alternative solution path. This is one way to fix it.

Its the start of a new term, so many people cycle into and out of the government. I'd hold off on thinking this till we see what shakes out.

Though it is fun to speculate, and this might be jumping ship before the NTSB and FAA get slapped down hard. I doubt that he had anything to do with the statements being made....

ouboy79

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:14 pm

Quoting XT6Wagon (Reply 6):
biased much? Pretty much any other industry in america would see criminal charges if they were holding people against their will for 6+ hours. The airlines were doing it multiple times a year.

Exactly. I personally see absolutely zero reason why an aircraft would hold people on board for more than an hour or two. If the aircraft can't get off the ground with in 30 minutes of leaving the gate, it shouldn't be pushing back.

Its the start of a new term, so many people cycle into and out of the government. I'd hold off on thinking this till we see what shakes out.

Yup exactly. Typical time for people to retire from the cabinet.

IADLHR

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:31 am

This is old, old news. Before the election LaHood said he was going to leave the Obama administration if Obama won re-election. He wanted to go into the private sector or possibly teach.He is 67 years old. In fact LaHood retired from the House in 2008. Obama won the election and Obama asked him to take a cabinet post.

At some point his name was tossed around as a candidate for president of Bradley University in PIA. The problem was that LaHood only has a Bachelors Degree.

Senator Obama and Congressman LaHood became friends in Congress and the rest is, as they say, history. As I said, it is old, old news.

End of story.

spacecadet

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:35 am

Under his watch, the DOT implemented a number of regulations that were anti-airline and anti-business - notably the "tarmac" rule that fines airlines for delays on the ground.

Which also happened to work.

I think this is a political expediency to get the Dreamliners back up.

Not going to happen any sooner, and this was announced some time ago.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

Cubsrule

Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:04 am

I doubt that he had anything to do with the statements being made....

. . . sort of like the statements in early 2010 about how people should not drive Toyotas?

I work with a number of the industries that DoT regulates, and I don't think I know a single person in any of them who has anything to say other than "Good riddance and enjoy Peoria."
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Boeing717200

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:25 am

Good-bye and good luck. This guy was a total train homer and did little for aviation.

@sankaps.. RINO. They guy did whatever he was told to do politically. Nothing else. The clown actually stood up in front of a room full of Aviation execs once and went on for 20 minutes about how rail was the future. You'd have thought he was at an Amtrak convention.

[Edited 2013-01-29 20:29:08]

PHLBOS

Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:10 pm

On the highway end, he effectively stopped then-PA Gov. Ed Rendell 3 times from placing tolls along I-80 as a means of funding transportation (not just roads) projects throughout the state. Rendell openly admitted that the I-80 toll money, along with the increased tolls along the Pennsylvania Turnpike (which are still taking place annually courtesy of PA Act 44), would be used for other projects. Basically, he was Robbing Peter To Pay Paul, so to speak.

Placing tolls on existing free interstates can only be approved by the feds (on a very limited basis, at present) and the tolls collected can only be used for improvement projects on that particular highway.

IMHO, that was one of the positive things that LaHood did; along w/the tarmac issue.

Pretty much any other industry in america would see criminal charges if they were holding people against their will for 6+ hours. The airlines were doing it multiple times a year.

The Airlines failed to self-regulate themselves and so got the regulations imposed from above.

IIRC, one of those multi-hour confinements involved a plane (after landing via a weather diversion) that only had one lavatory and it was clogged/not working properly. That kind of borders on cruel & unusual punnishment, don't you think?

While LaHood may have been a RINO, my concern is that his successor may be more of an anti-highway, anti-aviation type.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

Mir

Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:22 pm

Pretty much any other industry in america would see criminal charges if they were holding people against their will for 6+ hours. The airlines were doing it multiple times a year.

That's fine, the problem is that the regulation was broad and heavy-handed, and didn't incentivize the airlines to actually do anything to treat passengers better.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

slider

Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:37 pm

Ray LaHood's resume:

Um....

And then....

Don't forget...

Yeah.

Nothing.

AMF.