illinoisman

CNN Piers Morgan Rips Milwaukee Sheriff Over Guns

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:42 am

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwauk...guns-on-cnn-h98inr1-188955951.html

"Appearing before a nationwide cable-TV audience Tuesday night, Milwaukee County Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr. and Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett traded charges over gun violence.

In the exchanges, refereed loosely by gun-control proponent and CNN's Piers Morgan, Clarke and Barrett debated the role of the sheriff's office, planned furloughs for Milwaukee police officers and calls for federal gun-control laws.

Morgan host of "Piers Morgan Tonight," became part of the fray as well, pressing Clarke to tell him how many people in Milwaukee had defended themselves and their family at home by firing a gun.

"I don't have those statistics," Clarke said. Asked by Morgan to provide a ballpark figure, Clarke replied, "I don't think we need to go there, to be honest with you."

"You haven't got a clue," Morgan sneered."

Well, another day, another heated gun segment from Piers Morgan. Tonight he took on Milwaukee sheriff David Clarke Jr., who suggested earlier this week that instead of “calling 911,” citizens should arm themselves. At one point, Morgan berated Clarke and told him that what he is advocating marks “a return to the Wild West.” I don't know if I agree with the Sheriff here, but I know that I DO NOT like Piers Morgan.

Superfly

RE: CNN Piers Morgan Rips Milwaukee Sheriff Over Guns

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:50 am

I have a tremendous amount of respect for sheriff David Clarke Jr.
What he said is spot on and if your're familiar with Milwaukee, particularly the northwest side of town you would fully understand where he is coming from.

Quoting IllinoisMan (Thread starter):
I DO NOT like Piers Morgan.

No one does and it's time to deport his arse!
Join the petition to have him deported. He isn't a good representative of his home country either.
Piers Morgan has had his arse handed to him multiple times by his guest - most recently Newt Gingrich.
Bring back the Concorde

GlobalMoose

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:55 am

I have much more respect for CNN than MSNBC or FoxNews and I believe that the whole Piers Morgan 'experience' is bringing the network down as a whole.

The Piers Morgan gun issue is starting to bother me (regardless of whether or not I agree with his views); his show is quickly degrading from one that interviews people to a show that exists for Mr. Morgan to express his opinion.

If you want your show to be opinion/editorial in nature, call a spade a spade, don't masquerade as something else.

[Edited 2013-01-29 23:57:56]
When it absolutely positively has to be there ... at some point.

fr8mech

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:18 am

Tonight he took on Milwaukee sheriff David Clarke Jr., who suggested earlier this week that instead of “calling 911,” citizens should arm themselves.

You know, I heard the commercial a couple of times and not once did I hear him say not to call 911. He says:

"With officers laid-off and furloughed, simply calling 911 and waiting is no longer your best option.”

It sounds to me like he's saying you have to do things in addtion to calling 911. Like, take some responsibility for your own protection and safety. It is not the police's job to protect you, it's their job to pick-up the pieces.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/socie...says-skip-911-defend-yourself-guns

Quoting Superfly (Reply 1):

Nope, let him keep talking...he just weakens his, and his network's, position and makes CNN look like MSNBC. He does have the right to spew his ignorance.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

danielmyatt

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:45 am

it's time to deport his arse!

I'm not defending the vile oaf that is Morgan, but surely you can't deport someone for opposing the 2nd amendment when the first amendment is a right to free speech?

fr8mech

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:59 am

Quoting danielmyatt (Reply 4):
I'm not defending the vile oaf that is Morgan, but surely you can't deport someone for opposing the 2nd amendment when the first amendment is a right to free speech?

Apparently there is some precedent on this.

http://dailycaller.com/2012/12/23/wa...plains-how-to-deport-piers-morgan/

Let him stay. He's entertaining and he certainly isn't undermining the Constitution. In fact, I believe he strengthens it.

[Edited 2013-01-30 03:01:52]

flymia

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:37 pm

I'm sick and tired of him too. Which is why I just don't watch anything he does. He's always seems to be insulting the United States too. So over him and hope he gets off the air soon. Too think he replaced Larry King. I wasn't a huge fan of him either but at least he had good guest and didnt try to take over the show for himself.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Revelation

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:44 pm

I know that I DO NOT like Piers Morgan.

Another sad irony of the post-Newtown world is that it is making Morgan richer. I'm sure he's got a secure future in books and the talking circuit thanks to being singled out by the right.

Join the petition to have him deported. He isn't a good representative of his home country either.

Way to go on the Compassionate Conservatism!

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 3):
Nope, let him keep talking...he just weakens his, and his network's, position and makes CNN look like MSNBC. He does have the right to spew his ignorance.

Indeed he does, and the more the right push to silence him, the more they look like intolerant jerks.

The way to go would be to ignore him, kind of like Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck.
Inspiration, move me brightly!

Superfly

Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:02 pm

It sounds to me like he's saying you have to do things in addtion to calling 911. Like, take some responsibility for your own protection and safety.

Makes sense to me. That's why we have guns.
You can't have a police officer standing in front of everyone's house. You have to take some responsibility to protect yourself. It's the same as having an emergency back up supplies of food, water & batteries in case of an earthquake, hurricane or other natural disasters. FEMA will not be able to come to your aid immediately.
It's the same has having your fire extinguisher and/or garden hose to help put out a fire in your house until the fire department arrives.

It is not the police's job to protect you, it's their job to pick-up the pieces.

He never said that. He said they'll respond to as many calls as they can but can't immediately come to eveyone's aid instantly. Don't put words in the man's mouth that he never said.

let him keep talking...he just weakens his, and his network's, position and makes CNN look like MSNBC.

You raise a very good point.

Mayor Tom Barrett sound clueless and seemed to be caught up in who's role different department's in government serves. He couldn't relate to any of the real life experiences the police officers deal with on a daily basis or the people that live in high crime areas. Typical of an elitist gun grabbing snob. Thought he would have learned something after getting beat over the head with a tire rod iron.
I'm glad he lost the recall election against Governor Scott Walker.
Bring back the Concorde

connies4ever

Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:51 pm

So 1st Amendment does not apply to legally resident foreigners ? I always thought the US Constitution applied to everyone. Like ours.

Quite.

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 5):

A big difference being that Morgan is a legal resident (presumably green card), and that Mandel was denied entry, and had no legal residency established. I see no precedent.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

windy95

Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:40 pm

You know, I heard the commercial a couple of times and not once did I hear him say not to call 911. He says:

"With officers laid-off and furloughed, simply calling 911 and waiting is no longer your best option.”

That is his MO. Changing the intent of what people actually said in order to try and shock people. He has been handed his arse repeatadly in his attempt to destroy our right's.

ROSWELL41

Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:16 pm

Piers Morgan is a complete primadonna and an utter side show clown. He's a tabloid journalist on the run from a disgraced reputation in the UK. He's making a pretty foul reputation for himself in the US save for the most hard line Anti-2nd Amendment crowd.

Superfly

Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:17 pm

Now this is getting hilarious. Piers Morgan is now "threatening" to leave the United States if we don't repeal the 2nd Amendment.   
I find it it hilarious that he think's that is a "threat". I hope it's a promise.

http://www.infowars.com/piers-morgan...fter-infowars-petition-goes-viral/

when the first amendment is a right to free speech?

Your country has free speech but didn't allow Geert Wilders to enter your country because of what he said in his speeches.
I'm sure the British would not take to kindly of an American on your TV networks bad-mouthing your people. It's not just Piers Morgan's views, but his downright insulting of the American people as a whole. Sure I support free speech but I have the right to say that he needs to get the f--k out!
Every country has the right to kick out undesirables and Piers Morgan is one of them. But as I said in my previous post already (#8), if he drags down CNN and continues to expose that network for what it really is, let's keep him around.
A wise British man told me that the proper term to describe Piers Morgan is "wanker".
Bring back the Concorde

WildcatYXU

Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:34 pm

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 9):
I always thought the US Constitution applied to everyone. Like ours.

Ours? Our constitution doesn't even apply to all Canadian citizens.
310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, Saab 340, YAK40

DeltaMD90

Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:43 pm

Ugh this debate is getting pretty old (at least on this board) but I'll bite. While I disagree with much Piers Morgan is saying, to threaten to deport him because he disagrees with something (something that a good chunk of our country does, mind you) is pretty silly.

Maybe he's a dirt bag in it for the money, who knows, who cares. We shouldn't let it detract from the original arguments (the ones that matter)
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

ROSWELL41

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:13 pm

No need to deport him. CNN will fire him eventually. His ratings are terrible and only slightly boosted by his gun ban tirades. Jeff Zucker is cleaning house at CNN and Piers may eventually be unemployed. Threatening to deport him only artificially elevates his standing.

Superfly

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:17 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 14):
Quoting roswell41 (Reply 15):

Re-read post #12.
He is already 'threatening' to leave on his own accord.

Quoting roswell41 (Reply 15):
Jeff Zucker is cleaning house at CNN

Good to hear but he may have to do a complete demolition and rebuild. Piers Morgan isn't the only one that needs to go.
Bring back the Concorde

connies4ever

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:39 pm

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 13):
I always thought the US Constitution applied to everyone. Like ours.

Can you explain? While you're doing that I'll take another look at the constitution hanging on the wall of my den.
Unless you're making the narrow point that Quebec has not formally adopted the Constitution in the National Assembly.
I think in practice since Quebec makes constitutional arguments to the Federal and Supreme Courts, they have de facto adopted it.

As well, when you look at the Charter, every clause states either "everyone" or "every citizen".

[Edited 2013-01-30 08:44:58]

WestJet747

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:55 pm

Join the petition to have him deported.

What is the legal basis for this argument?

Quoting Superfly (Reply 8):
He said they'll respond to as many calls as they can but can't immediately come to eveyone's aid instantly.

Guns are an extremely divisive debate that most people are pretty steadfast on. Perhaps the sheriff should put more effort into getting more funding for his department so that they can hire more officers and respond to more calls. The community will be safer, and jobs will be created, it's two birds with one stone.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 12):
Your country has free speech but didn't allow Geert Wilders to enter your country because of what he said in his speeches.

fr8mech's link suggests that the US has done the exact same thing, so let's not throw stones here.

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 13):

Can you back that statement up?

A big difference being that Morgan is a legal resident (presumably green card), and that Mandel was denied entry, and had no legal residency established. I see no precedent.

Flying refined.

Superfly

Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:21 pm

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 18):
What is the legal basis for this argument?

Continue reading my post after that statement. Geez!

Perhaps the sheriff should put more effort into getting more funding for his department so that they can hire more officers and respond to more calls.

Did you watch the interview? The sheriff wants to do just that and he even said that. The budget cuts is out of his hands. Do you really think he wanted to lay off 42 officers? The budget is in the mayor's court - the man that doesn't think that people deserve the right to defend themselves.

fr8mech's link suggests that the US has done the exact same thing, so let's not throw stones here.

No one is throwing stones here. Where did fr8mech say that the US kicked out people for what they said.
Bring back the Concorde

Geezer

Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:44 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 7):
The way to go would be to ignore him, kind of like Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck.

I have news for you.............there are a hell of a lot of people who AREN"T ignoring Beck; why do you suppose he's making millions a year ? He was "cleaning up" while he was on FN; now he's tripled that ! (Beck is laughing at you all the way to the bank !)

As far as this douche-bag Morgan is concerned..........he's well on his way to "self-destructing"........I couldn't possibly care any less what that idiot thinks; (and I haven't watched "commie news network" in ten years, so it's not like he's bothering me any !) (the channel that brings you Soledad O'Brien, right ? (barf, yuck) Maybe Jeff Zucker will kick that Morgan twit out in the snow and hire a REAL dirt-bag to replace him......such as Michael Moore ? That should just about put the final nails in CNN's coffin !

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

WestJet747

Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:05 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 19):
Continue reading my post after that statement. Geez!

All you said was that you should kick him out because you don't like him. I understand it's well within the country's rights to kick out whomever they wish and for whatever reason...but I don't see the government bending over backwards to kick out a talk-show host because he's anti-gun.

Did you watch the interview? The sheriff wants to do just that and he even said that. The budget cuts is out of his hands. Do you really think he wanted to lay off 42 officers? The budget is in the mayor's court - the man that doesn't think that people deserve the right to defend themselves.

I'm not saying he didn't. My point is that the focus is on gun-control which is a futile effort on both sides, and the shriff isn't doing himself any favours by making those statements in front of Piers Morgan. The debate should be about funding which is a significantly more achievable goal.

Where did fr8mech say that the US kicked out people for what they said.

fr8mech's link gives the example of Marxist Belgian journalist Ernest Mandel being refused entry into the country. This is literally the exact same thing that Britain did to Wilders.

I personally think it was a bad move. Wilders didn't pose a threat. Even the Canadian government blocked him. People that went there to support him are going to support him anyway whether he enters the country or not, and I doubt anybody is going to be swayed by his hateful speech. If anything, he would have been laughed at.
Flying refined.

Superfly

Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:29 pm

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 21):
All you said was that you should kick him out because you don't like him. I understand it's well within the country's rights to kick out whomever they wish and for w.........

Just as I thought. You didn't continue reading what I post.

and the shriff isn't doing himself any favours by making those statements in front of Piers Morgan.

Sheriff David Clarke doesn't need to prove jack$h!t to Piers Morgan. I think it's hilarious how you state; "in front of Piers Morgan.
He isn't any sort of authority.

I doubt anybody is going to be swayed by his hateful speech.

Lot's of hate speeches being made openly in London and it goes unpunished and is swept under the rug. I haven't found Mr. Wilder's to say anything hateful but that isn't the main point of this thread.

The debate should be about funding which is a significantly more achievable goal.

The mayor had an opportunity to discuss that but he didn't. Milwaukee county is facing the same budget crisis as all other counties, cities and states across the US. Even the federal government is facing a budget crisis.
Sheriff David Clarke is simply giving the most simple solution to deal with the problem of high crime in a cash-strapped county. Sheriff David Clarke can beg for more funding until he turns blue in the face but that wont make money magically appear. Local governments can't print more cash.
Not sure why people are so upset with Sheriff David Clarke when he states to enroll in a gun safety class. Even the anti-gun crowd should be in support of that.

Quoting Geezer (Reply 20):
Soledad O'Brien

Ugh, you just had to mention that turd!   
Bring back the Concorde

StarAC17

Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:35 pm

So 1st Amendment does not apply to legally resident foreigners ? I always thought the US Constitution applied to everyone. Like ours.

I believe it does and that was what the white house said when addressing this petition. We can't simply deny Morgan's first amendment rights and kick him out because his opinion makes other uncomfortable.

Quoting GlobalMoose (Reply 2):
The Piers Morgan gun issue is starting to bother me (regardless of whether or not I agree with his views); his show is quickly degrading from one that interviews people to a show that exists for Mr. Morgan to express his opinion.

Isn't that what the other cable news networks do in that time-slot as well.

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 5):

Let him stay. He's entertaining and he certainly isn't undermining the Constitution. In fact, I believe he strengthens it.

Yeah the guy behind this whole thing is Alex Jones, hardly someone I would see as the best person to take seriously. Although people do.

Look he is offering an opinion and while I don't agree with every point he makes (ie an assault weapons ban is not going to do a lot).

However there are points to be made that even Republicans have said on Morgan's show that will make a huge difference. Such as closing the gun-show/private sales loophole which accounts for 40% of all US gun sales and of that 40% I bet there are many people inadvertently sell guns to criminals.

Follow the Swiss model where you have to have a license or a background check to buy a gun and you have to report a private sale and failing to do so is a crime. Also get a plan together on how to identify mentally ill people and treat them, not only will this help in getting guns out of people in the wrong hands but it will also help the economy by getting mentally ill people back into functioning in society thus increasing productivity.

The reason that the NRA opposes closing the gun-show loophole is that the gun manufacturers who fund them won't be able to sell as much as demand will fall if people feel more secure that those buying guns are law-abiding.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

slider

Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:36 pm

What he said is spot on and if your're familiar with Milwaukee, particularly the northwest side of town you would fully understand where he is coming from.

Exactly...and you know the situation is bad when even the leftist MKE Journal-Sentinal editorial board supports DC's initiative!!!

Piers Morgan is a wanker who is trying to prop up his lowest rated cable news show by being as bombastic and heinously leftist as he can. And after he tried to bully Ben Shapiro with his "brandishing your little book" comment referring to the US Constitution, I would hope CNN aborts his ass and we deport his limey ass.

WestJet747

Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:48 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 22):
Just as I thought. You didn't continue reading what I post.

I have, several times. Again, all you say is that you don't like the guy. Please quote the specific part where you make a legitimate legal argument, because I'm clearly not seeing it.

Sheriff David Clarke doesn't need to prove jack$h!t to Piers Morgan. I think it's hilarious how you state; "in front of Piers Morgan.
He isn't any sort of authority.

Your words, not mine. I'm saying that bringing up the issue in front of Piers Morgan isn't productive and he's just going to push his not-so-hidden agenda. I'm not sure how you can disagree with that.

I haven't found Mr. Wilder's to say anything hateful but that isn't the main point of this thread.

Seriously?! Wilders even uses the word "hate" in his own speeches. Not even he denies that he hates certain groups.

The mayor had an opportunity to discuss that but he didn't.

I don't think anybody had a real expectation for the mayor to bring up the issue. He doesn't want to give more money to the police force. The onus is on the sheriff to raise the issue and support it. Otherwise he won't get an extra penny.

Local governments can't print more cash.

No, but they can more effectively appropriate the funds that they do have. Every government at every level has waste. The sheriff would be wise to show where that waste is and prove that it is better spent making the community safer.
Flying refined.

WildcatYXU

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:13 pm

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 17):
Can you explain?
Can you back that statement up?

Sure. Naturalized Canadians, such as myself, can be stripped of Canadian citizenship. There is no word about it in the constitution, but the current law allows it.
310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, Saab 340, YAK40

Superfly

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:14 pm

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 25):
I have, several times

No you have not. You're still hung up on my first response. You haven't read the rest.

I'm saying that bringing up the issue in front of Piers Morgan isn't productive

The Sheriff has no say on how much money is funded to his department. He can only make request.

agenda.

Agenda? He now has an agenda?
Wow!

He doesn't want to give more money to the police force.

No. They don't have the money and the mayor or country supervisors would appropriate the funds if they were there. As I said before, state & local governments across the country are having budget issues and they dealing with it the best way they can.
Bring back the Concorde

flipdewaf

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:33 pm

I'm sure the British would not take to kindly of an American on your TV networks bad-mouthing your people.

You know many brits? I thought we were well known for taking the loss out of ourselves.

A wise British man told me that the proper term to describe Piers Morgan is "wanker".

Lol, does it make me wise if I think he's a banker?

Fred

Bongodog1964

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:47 pm

Quoting IllinoisMan (Thread starter):I DO NOT like Piers Morgan.

Please, please don't send him back, we are quite happy without him. He's an odious specimen

I'm sure the British would not take to kindly of an American on your TV networks bad-mouthing your people. It's not just Piers Morgan's views, but his downright insulting of the American people as a whole

This one I do have a problem with, the assumption that he's insulting the whole of the American people, my wife's US relatives are all exceedingly anti gun.

Revelation

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:51 pm

Quoting windy95 (Reply 10):
Piers Morgan is a complete primadonna and an utter side show clown
As far as this douche-bag Morgan is concerned.....
Quoting slider (Reply 24):
Piers Morgan is a wanker

I guess all of you are having a hard time ignoring him?

I have news for you.............there are a hell of a lot of people who AREN"T ignoring Beck; why do you suppose he's making millions a year ? He was "cleaning up" while he was on FN; now he's tripled that !

He's preaching to the choir, the hard core conservatives. He's not reaching anyone else, which might actually help his cause. As you point out he's enriching himself, which is of course a very significant thing to conservatives. Maybe he'll end up like Karl Rove and direct a lot of the right wing echo chamber's money into another losing cause then spend months trying to not get blamed while they try to figure out why they lost.

Superfly

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:55 pm

Quoting bongodog1964 (Reply 29):
Please, please don't send him back, we are quite happy without him. He's an odious specimen

Haha!  
Agreed!
I don't think anyone would take him.

Quoting bongodog1964 (Reply 29):
the assumption that he's insulting the whole of the American people

Actually he has and it's not just because of his anti-2nd. Amendment stance. You said it best, he's an odious specimen.
No point in going through the layers and layers of his ugliness. The guy just simply sucks and people on both sides of the Atlantic seem to agree.
Bring back the Concorde

2707200X

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:03 pm

Quoting slider (Reply 24):
Piers Morgan is a wanker who is trying to prop up his lowest rated cable news show by being as bombastic and heinously leftist as he can. And after he tried to bully Ben Shapiro with his "brandishing your little book" comment referring to the US Constitution, I would hope CNN aborts his ass and we deport his limey ass.

Great conservative logic, when you disagree with someone, shut them out, deport their ass and call them limey. You in the right have been accusing liberals of this for many years.
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

WestJet747

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:33 pm

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 26):
Naturalized Canadians, such as myself, can be stripped of Canadian citizenship.

I'm not familiar with any law that allows this...but surely you would have to do something really stupid in order for this to happen?

But so long as you maintain your Canadian citizenship, the Constitution and the Charter apply to you.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 27):
Wow!

You don't agree that Morgan has had an obvious agenda since the second he got that show?

You haven't read the rest.

I have, but if you don't want to elaborate then that's fine.

Quoting Revelation (Reply 30):
He's preaching to the choir, the hard core conservatives. He's not reaching anyone else

Very true. I don't think he's growing his fan club, he's just saying the right things to the people who have been listening all along.
Flying refined.

connies4ever

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:36 pm

I don't think anyone would disagree with the concept that PM is a POS self-aggrandizer. As well, he has something to answer for, perhaps in court, in the UK regarding the NOTW phone-hacking scandal. But that is separate from what is being 'discussed' here.

Piers Morgan has had his arse handed to him multiple times by his guest - most recently Newt Gingrich.

If I have it right, 1st amendment trumps pretty much everything. If I am a legal resident of the US, or a citizen, I can get up on a soap box and shout that America is the biggest hegemonic power in the world and is a threat to everyone (a viewpoint supported by many, many millions of people, btw). But no law has been broken, therefore no basis for removal. The government may decide on a security basis to differ, but I believe they still have to demonstrate that through a legal process.

You can't have a police officer standing in front of everyone's house.

Only in a paranoid dream would someone believe that to be necessary.

Sure I support free speech but I have the right to say that he needs to get the f--k out!

No one is throwing stones here. Where did fr8mech say that the US kicked out people for what they said.
[/quote]

You appear to support speech that agrees with your ideology. As for fr8mech's point, I believe it to be incorrect, as is your interpretation. The US did not kick out Mandel, he was denied entry. A totally different legal situation. Canada has done the same thing, rarely.

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 26):
Sure. Naturalized Canadians, such as myself, can be stripped of Canadian citizenship. There is no word about it in the constitution, but the current law allows it.

An incorrect interpretation of the Constitution. As long as you are legally a Canadian citizen, you have the same rights and privileges, obligations, and legal protections as a naturally-born Canadian. As a naturalised citizen, you can be legally stripped of citizenship for several possible reasons: lying or concealing relevant information on your landed immigrant or citizenship application (criminal record being a big one); membership in a banned 'terrorist organisation' - whatever that means. Personally, I consider the Conservative Party to be a terrorist organisation, considering the damage being done to the country.

Wow!

And you don't, one supposes.

Quoting 2707200X (Reply 32):
Piers Morgan is a wanker who is trying to prop up his lowest rated cable news show by being as bombastic and heinously leftist as he can.

Being a 'leftist' is by definition heinous ? What a wonderful concept of democracy that is. Of course, the Hon. Michelle Bachmann (R-Minn) recently wanted ALL House Dems investigated for 'un-American activities'. But I suppose in FOX Newsland, that is completely OK.

The GOP House members routinely accuse the House Dems of being 'left-wingers'. In Canada, US House Dems would mostly be comfortable in our Conservative Party. Many in the GOP would be classified as fascist.

Keep drinking the Kool-aid, y'all.

mke717spotter

Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:47 pm

Mayor Tom Barrett sound clueless and seemed to be caught up in who's role different department's in government serves. He couldn't relate to any of the real life experiences the police officers deal with on a daily basis or the people that live in high crime areas. Typical of an elitist gun grabbing snob.

Milwaukee's image will never be enhanced under a "leader" like Barrett. He carries the stench of a political hack everywhere he goes. He refuses to tackle any of the serious issues that affect the central city, and outwardly clashes with law enforcement on a regular basis - which only encourages the less than desirable elements in the area. In nine years he has accomplished practically nothing, but occasionally comes back to life to ride the anti-gun coattails of New York Mayor Bloomberg.

Quoting roswell41 (Reply 11):
Piers Morgan is a complete primadonna and an utter side show clown.

His stupidity knows no bounds. He asks Clark how many people have protected themselves using a gun, yet since when does a police force keep track of such a statistic? I knew what a joke this whole thing was as soon as Morgan led off with his most important point...that being the tone of the sheriff's voice.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

slider

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:01 pm

Quoting 2707200X (Reply 32):
Great conservative logic, when you disagree with someone, shut them out, deport their ass and call them limey. You in the right have been accusing liberals of this for many years.

I've decided to start playing by the lefties' rules.  

Actually, truth be told, whilst I despise Morgan and especially what he stands for, I want the looney to remain here and keep his show. I figure he's the perfect example of the sheer lunacy that is taking our country into the shitter and the gross illogic of his entire premise on guns....we should be putting him out there as an example of leftist statist attitudes.

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:01 pm

Sure Piers can be a pompous arse, but i've come to like him quite a bit. I applaud him for having the balls to take on this issue with such vigor.   
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

slider

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:12 pm

And back on topic of the actual words of David Clarke, let's take a step back and think about this.

How far gone are we, as a society, when there is outrage (faux or otherwise) when people are encouraged to actually take an active role in their own security, safety and protection?

How outlandish is this?

We have a faltering economy (now shrinking, I might add, after the reports today), still have high unemployment, a corrupt oligarchy that deliberately betrays its people and spends us into oblivion, and yet it is the discussion of a MOOT already-guaranteed Constitutional right that is sucking the air out of the room.

Beam me up.

fr8mech

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:38 pm

Quoting slider (Reply 38):
How far gone are we, as a society, when there is outrage (faux or otherwise) when people are encouraged to actually take an active role in their own security, safety and protection?

Exactly. All this guy is saying is that we have to take responsibility for our own safety and he is challenged for it.

Mir

Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:46 pm

In what other civilized country do the police come out and say "look, we're not really able to do our job anymore, so you're going to have to pick up the slack"?

That would seem to be a problem. Yet apparently certain jurisdictions in the US have adopted that line of reasoning as a matter of policy.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Revelation

Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:55 pm

So in your world view there are these set of private citizens who have certification in security and self protection who undergo periodic re certification to make sure their skills have not eroded, who only have a reasonable set of weapons appropriate for the self-defense task, and who have and use the robust facilities to safely store their weapons and prevent them from theft and/or abuse?

In my world, the only ones who come close to that standard are mostly not private citizens, they are the police.

Evidence shows that most firearms owned by individuals in the US are far more likely to kill people in their own household or of their own acquaintance than any thief, rapist or home invader. It also shows that people hardly ever train to any degree of proficiency with their weapons, and if they do it's not to any known standard but instead one of their own invention, if any, and tend to have far more weapons needed for self or family defense.

and yet it is the discussion of a MOOT already-guaranteed Constitutional right that is sucking the air out of the room

Indeed, there's not much to be discussed:

Quote:
In its 2008 District of Columbia v. Heller decision, the Supreme Court upheld a limited Second Amendment right to gun ownership.

Conservative Justice Antonin Scalia, writing for the court, explained: "Like most rights, the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited. From Blackstone through the 19th-century cases, commentators and courts routinely explained that the right was not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose...nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on long-standing prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms. We identify these presumptively lawful regulatory measures only as examples; our list does not purport to be exhaustive."

Justice Scalia also explained that, consistent with the Second Amendment, individual ownership of "dangerous and unusual" firearms, such as M-16 rifles, can be banned.

So there's plenty of latitude to impose conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms, such as insisting on a uniform background check and insisting on registering the transfer of the weapon.

2707200X

Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:23 am

Quoting slider (Reply 36):
. I figure he's the perfect example of the sheer lunacy that is taking our country into the shitter and the gross illogic of his entire premise on guns....we should be putting him out there as an example of leftist statist attitudes.

I rather be a leftists statist that a member of the blood curdling NRA who cares more about bushmasters than cares about the people who are killed by assault riffles and big ass clips that they love to represent. If you need an AR-15 to protect your house you're crazy. Do these gun nuts need to kill a bunch of people and create an insurrection against your country or fight off a police force or the US Army? Assault riffles are for the battlefield and civil shooting ranges not for hunting or protection unless you want to fight off the government ala Waco and Ruby Ridge.

[Edited 2013-01-30 16:37:48]

[Edited 2013-01-30 16:43:21]
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

fr8mech

Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:52 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 40):

In what other civilized country do the police come out and say "look, we're not really able to do our job anymore, so you're going to have to pick up the slack"?

What he's saying, is what has always been the case, in any civilized country:

The police can not be everywhere. The police can not protect you in every circumstance. You must take some responsibility for your own safety.

That is true everywhere. He chooses to admit it to the people he serves.

Quoting Mir (Reply 40):
That would seem to be a problem. Yet apparently certain jurisdictions in the US have adopted that line of reasoning as a matter of policy.

It's not a matter of policy, it's a matter of law. The police have no duty to protect anyone, except in very narrow circumstances.

http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/m...arch&article_id=341&issue_id=72004+

Edit: didn't realize the article's references weren't hyperlinked. Below is the link to a Wiki article and FindLaw on Gonzalez v. City of Castle Rock. My understanding is that this ruling basically spells out that the state (police) are not responsible to ensure your safety. There are other cases referenced in the Police Chief Magazine article that reinforce the premise.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-10th-circuit/1343430.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Rock_v._Gonzales

[Edited 2013-01-30 19:03:28]

[Edited 2013-01-30 19:07:20]

bristolflyer

Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:15 am

The government has already said that they can't won't deport Piers Morgan. I think he's very hatable but many people only hate him because of his stance against guns.
Fortune favours the brave

StarAC17

Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:52 am

Quoting jpetekyxmd80 (Reply 37):
Sure Piers can be a pompous arse, but i've come to like him quite a bit. I applaud him for having the balls to take on this issue with such vigor.   

He challenges the people that he interviews which is something Larry King didn't do. It makes him very entertaining to me personally, I would have liked him to interview Lance Armstrong instead of Oprah.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

seb146

Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:17 am

So, Piers Morgan presents the other side of the FOX debate on guns so he is hated? I don't get it. The FOX crowd always crys about how we need to have debate in this country but when they are confronted with their own tactics from the other extreme, the FOX crowd feels like victims and need to shut debate down because of "liberal bias" or some BS. In other words: it only works in their favor and no one else's. Interesting.
Life in the wall is a drag.

Superfly

Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:21 am

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 33):
You don't agree that Morgan has had an obvious agenda since the second he got that show?

I thought you were talking about Sheriff Dave Clarke.

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 33):
if you don't want to elaborate then that's fine.

I already did twice but I want you to be able to read further and not freak out oer one sentence that you don't agree with.

Quoting mke717spotter (Reply 35):
Milwaukee's image will never be enhanced under a "leader" like Barrett. He carries the stench of a political hack everywhere he goes. He refuses to tackle any of the serious issues that affect the central city, and outwardly clashes with law enforcement on a regular basis - which only encourages the less than desirable elements in the area. In nine years he has accomplished practically nothing, but occasionally comes back to life to ride the anti-gun coattails of New York Mayor Bloomberg.

Well said. I was a bit surprised that he lost the re-call election against governor Scott Walker but I'm glad he lost.

Quoting Mir (Reply 40):
In what other civilized country

Who said we're civilized and why do you feel it's necessary to compare to other countries. I have yet to find a Utopian nation to set that example.

Quoting bristolflyer (Reply 44):
many people only hate him because of his stance against guns.

There are many people I like that I don't agree with on guns. People don't like him because he is an arrogant POS that just so happens to like to berate the US on US soil. People don't like it and have a right to gripe about it.

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 34):
I can get up on a soap box and shout that America is the biggest hegemonic power in the world and is a threat to everyone (a viewpoint supported by many, many millions of people, btw).

You've done it before so continue doing it. That viewpoint is held by many terrorist and those in backwater 3rd world nations and clueless, spoiled left-wing Westerners. I understand many of you are simply jealous. I've come across your type on occasion.

And back on topic of the actual words of David Clarke, let's take a step back and think about this.

How outlandish is this?

It's not outlandish at all but it goes against the agenda of One World government advocates. The government wants more and more control over the people. When the economy fully collapses, many will wish they had guns to defend themselves and protect their property.
Bring back the Concorde

fr8mech

Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:23 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 46):
So, Piers Morgan presents the other side of the FOX debate on guns so he is hated? I don't get it.

He's not hated because of his position on guns. He's hated because he's a pompous ass that has spent the last month attacking the gun owners, the US and the Constitution and anyone that disagrees with him.

CXfirst

Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:01 pm

Makes sense to me. That's why we have guns.
You can't have a police officer standing in front of everyone's house. You have to take some responsibility to protect yourself. It's the same as having an emergency back up supplies of food, water & batteries in case of an earthquake, hurricane or other natural disasters. FEMA will not be able to come to your aid immediately.
It's the same has having your fire extinguisher and/or garden hose to help put out a fire in your house until the fire department arrives.

For me, a more accurate analogy for using a gun to protect until the police arrive is having high-powered hoses installed or industrial grade fire extinguishers to fight fires, while waiting for fire brigade (not the best examples), which if not trained correctly, can cause much more harm to property/lives than good. The in-home security equivilant of emergency food supplies and a home fire extinguisher, would be having a good alarm system, having doors and windows locked or even double locked, and having a room inside which can be locked until police come.

There are so many other measures that do a much better job in protecting families than firearms. In individual cases, a firearm may save your family, but looking in the big picture, statistically, other measures including making sure your neighbour doesn't have a firearm prove better.

As for Piers Morgan, not a fan, but that began a long time before his anti-gun campaign.

-CXfirst