AR385
Topic Author

Oscar Pistorius Arrested For Killing Girlfriend

Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:16 am

in Spanish. If anybody finds the info. in English please post.

http://deportes.elpais.com/deportes/.../actualidad/1360827352_254289.html

He says he mistook her for a thief. Shot her in the head and in the arm.

stlgph

RE: Oscar Pistorius Arrested For Killing Girlfriend

Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:24 am

if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

oldeuropean

Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:39 am

Quoting AR385 (Thread starter):
He says he mistook her for a thief.

Yeah, sure ...

... but well, who knows, it also could depend on the drugs he has used.

Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

OA260

Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:52 am

Sky News reporting that it may have been a Valentines surprise gone wrong. Weird I guess until we know the facts but very tragic whatever happened.

flyingturtle

Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:55 am

Very sad.

The star of the 2012 paralympics in London.

It may heat up the usual a.net firearm debate a little bit.

David
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.

anstar

Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:40 am

The police news conference stated they had not said anything about it being a burglar.

They also mentioned there was no sign of forced entry and that they had been to this residence before for domestic allegations.

oldeuropean

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:41 am

Police charged him with murder.

Police speak about "previous incidents" in his house. Whatever that means.

[Edited 2013-02-14 03:45:06]
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

smittyone

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:44 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 3):
Sky News reporting that it may have been a Valentines surprise gone wrong. Weird I guess until we know the facts but very tragic whatever happened.

Completely irresponsible journalism IMO. Who exactly is positing this scenario? What is it based on other than coincidence?

[Edited 2013-02-14 04:10:10]

ltbewr

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:48 am

News reports this morning in the USA note that Pistorius lives in a tightly controlled gated community with a low likelihood of an 'outside' intruder. It is sadly well known of the high rates of crime in South Africa, with many owning guns for self-protection. In Pistorius' case his limited mobility to be able to escape from an intruder probably, along with being seen as having some wealth an well known person there, led him to own a gun. Of course there are other factors that led to him having a gun that are part of the history of that country. Unfortunately in the USA as well, a number of persons who are friends and family members are shot and injured or killed every month as believe to be intruders. It is a shame that such possible circumstances may have led to his girlfiend's death.

Kiwirob

Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:03 pm

A beautiful woman. It's always a shame when the good looking ones get killed.

babybus

Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:34 pm

This is very sad. Both them were good looking fit people. One is dead and the other with a long jail sentence in front of him, if convicted.

The beautiful and the dammed.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

wolbo

Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:52 pm

Ouch...

falstaff

Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:14 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 4):
It may heat up the usual a.net firearm debate a little bit.

I doubt it. That only seems to apply when this sort of thing happens in the USA.

Quoting anstar (Reply 5):
The police news conference stated they had not said anything about it being a burglar.

That is what I heard on the CBS radio news at 6am.

They also mentioned there was no sign of forced entry and that they had been to this residence before for domestic allegations.

I heard that at 6:30

Quoting oldeuropean (Reply 6):

At 7am the story from police was there had been "domestic issues" on previous occasions.

Quoting babybus (Reply 10):
Both them were good looking fit people

Which is part of the reason that it's news (the other part being that they were famous) When this kind of thing happens to a couple of good looking people it's news, when it is two regular and ugly people it would be a local story on the 11pm news.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

ltbewr

Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:00 am

The media is bringing out another side of Pistorius, that has has some serious issues. He had several close calls with the police. He was seriously injured in a boating accident in 2009 where alcohol was a likely factor in the crash but no criminal charges pushed. He was into guns big time. This article bring out some of his dark side: http://espn.go.com/olympics/story/_/...-murder-girlfriend-reeva-steenkamp

By the way, the Nike/his web site picture 'like a bullet' posted above has been removed from their sites.

Pistorius, like too many athletes around the world including in the USA, are able to get away with felony crimes, abuse people, drink and use drugs to abusive levels, cops and Judaical authorities afraid to do anything, the media covering up especially early on, and too many women are willing to sell their souls and bodies to them for the thrill even it cruel to them. They use performance enhancing drugs a step further than the law can catch them. From other reports, he had the public and media figures believe a phony side, including a NBC Sports reporter who spent some time with Pistorius in the lead up to the London Olympics who saw only the good public side of him, never seeing or looking for any problems with the law or with others. Sadly by not looking into his real life, not just his public side, he now faces murder charges.

Pellegrine

Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:13 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 9):
A beautiful woman. It's always a shame when the good looking ones get killed.

Are you completely serious? As if less attractive people are any less worthy of living?
oh boy, here we go!!!

Kiwirob

Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:45 pm

Quoting Pellegrine (Reply 19):
As if less attractive people are any less worthy of living?

People don't get as caught up or interested when an average person gets killed. Do you really think anyone would have been interested in the JonBennet Ramsay or Madelline Cane cases if the kids hadn't been cute, it would have been how sad a kid is dead and another missing next story please.

SA7700

Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:56 pm

Please do not construe this as an approval of the most unfortunate event that occurred during the past day or so. But please keep in mind that under the South African Constitution, section 35(3)(h) of the Bill of Rights: Every accused person has a right to a fair trial, which includes the right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Regards,

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

na

Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:14 pm

Quoting SA7700 (Reply 21):
presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Exactly. What seems likely from first evidence has often been proven wrong.
For someone from a safe country what he did, when he did what he claimed to have done, seems very odd, shooting four times on someone he didnt see and didnt know who he was. If it would have happened in Western Europe, I would say, this is 99% murder, but it happened in South Africa, where armed robbers often kill instantly when someone wakes up. Before jumping to conclusions, this is about a man with no legs, he has the right to be more afraid of armed robbers than a 100% man.

Aesma

Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:24 pm

Without judging these recent events since facts are lacking, I always felt he lacked humility.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

AF1624

Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:46 pm

Quoting Pellegrine (Reply 19):
Are you completely serious? As if less attractive people are any less worthy of living?

This:

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 20):
People don't get as caught up or interested when an average person gets killed. Do you really think anyone would have been interested in the JonBennet Ramsay or Madelline Cane cases if the kids hadn't been cute, it would have been how sad a kid is dead and another missing next story please.

Totally agreed. Same goes for celebrities.

Quoting Aesma (Reply 23):
Without judging these recent events since facts are lacking, I always felt he lacked humility.

Indeed. And he also seemed just a bit odd, this guy. Maybe it was the SA accent, maybe the attitude, I don't know. He's always seemed a bit... off to me.
Cheers

Pellegrine

Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:24 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 20):

I do understand your point. I feel the same way. In fact, I am ashamed to say, but I do not feel the model was attractive all that much. I feel horrible saying that about a victim of violence. Anyway.

This is a two-pronged story. People fawned over Pistorius because of his 'triumph' over adversity. I certainly liked his story. That does not mean that I do not feel for other victims of violence. There are plenty of African and Asian victims of landmines who have their legs blown off.

I thought this news story was more shocking in it's irony than any "omg a beautiful model killed" aspects. Each to their own I suppose.
oh boy, here we go!!!

NAV20

Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:12 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 3):
Sky News reporting that it may have been a Valentines surprise gone wrong.
Quoting oldeuropean (Reply 6):
Quoting SA7700 (Reply 21):
Every accused person has a right to a fair trial, which includes the right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty.

I've frankly been puzzled by the way this case is 'working out.' But I begin to wonder if Pistorius - or his lawyers - are trying something that has never been tried before.

As SA7700 says, any accused person has to be 'proven guilty.' But on this occasion, whatever else, there were only two witnesses - and one of them is dead. So the only person who can provide eye-witness evidence about what actually happened is Pistorius himself.

But he is (I suspect carefully, 'on advice') saying absolutely nothing.

I further suspect that, if he goes on doing (or rather NOT doing) that, there is no way the prosecution can get a conviction. Circumstantial evidence, like fingerprints on the gun etc., would not be enough - the only thing that would do the trick is Pistorius himself confessing.

So if he goes on 'saying absolutely nothing' there's quite a good chance (if 'good' is the right word) that he'll get out from under any murder charge. Sure, they'll probably be able to lock him up for a good while on grounds of 'insanity' or whatever - but, on the face of it, if he goes on saying nothing at all, my guess is that they won't be able to make any sort of murder charge stick.

Mind you - I had to learn a fair bit of law in my time, but I'm no lawyer. Can anyone who IS one say whether it's possible to get a conviction for a capital crime just on the basis of 'probabilities' - with (assuming that Pistorius goes on saying nothing) no eye-witness evidence from anyone about what actually happened?

[Edited 2013-02-16 04:14:04]
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

Kiwirob

Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:28 pm

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 26):
Circumstantial evidence, like fingerprints on the gun etc.

There's bound to be power residue evidence on his hands and clothing.

na

Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:26 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 27):
There's bound to be power residue evidence on his hands and clothing.

Well, he doesnt deny that he shot, right? So gun powder on his hands doesnt count much wether he´s a murder, or just a panicked guy afraid of a robber.
More important will be the distance he shot, the time between the shots, how much light was there, finding out what were the noises in the house heard by neighbours some time before the shots, the question when did the girlfriend enter the gated community, and so on.

AR385
Topic Author

Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:57 pm

I would think that the fact the girlfriend has 3 shots in the head and one in the hand points to a deliberate killing. That shot in the hand comes from trying to cover her face, and if she had tme to cover it, she had time to scream her name.

OA260

Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:07 pm

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 21):
I've frankly been puzzled by the way this case is 'working out.' But I begin to wonder if Pistorius - or his lawyers - are trying something that has never been tried before.

You know its weird I just cant understand it. Normally you hear this and you say '' tragic accident or evil Man'' etc.. but I cant get my head around it.

Theories running in my mind :

Was he on drugs ?

Was she about to leave him ?

Was he in a deep sleep and then woke up thinking it was an intruder and just fired multiple shots in the dark?

If it was pre planned why would such a guy with so much going for him do such a thing?

So many questions and so hard to understand why.

AR385
Topic Author

Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:12 pm

According to this:

http://deportes.elpais.com/deportes/.../actualidad/1361034857_209549.html

She was sitting in the toilette bowl when he shot her. Kind of hard to mistake that for a home invader.

NAV20

Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:21 am

A bit more information here - which suggests that he was 'firing blind':-

"Reeva, 29, is believed to have been sitting on a toilet when she was hit four times – in the arm, head, hip and finger – by three bullets fired through the bathroom door.

"It is believed she was still alive as Oscar carried her downstairs and ­ tried to revive her.

"Blood stains were found on the walls, indicating her heart was pumping.

"It is claimed Oscar was still holding Reeva in his arms and performing mouth-to-mouth when paramedics arrived.

"Neighbours said they heard her last breaths before she was pronounced dead by the paramedics.

"Forensic officers have removed the bathroom door as evidence."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...storius-called-best-friend-1714199
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

flood

Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:32 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 26):
Kind of hard to mistake that for a home invader

Particularly considering she had already arrived at his house at 7pm the previous night, according to above mirror article.

The City Press is also reporting:

» A bloodied cricket bat is the central piece of evidence in the unfolding murder investigation against Pistorius.
» It is alleged that the first shot was fired in the bedroom after which Steenkamp locked herself in the bathroom.

http://www.citypress.co.za/news/exclusive-the-case-against-oscar/

scbriml

Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:15 pm

Quoting flood (Reply 28):

Yep, it's looking increasingly like Oscar has run his last race.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

Okie

Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:00 pm

Quoting flood (Reply 28):
Particularly considering she had already arrived at his house at 7pm the previous night, according to above mirror article.

The City Press is also reporting:

» A bloodied cricket bat is the central piece of evidence in the unfolding murder investigation against Pistorius.
» It is alleged that the first shot was fired in the bedroom after which Steenkamp locked herself in the bathroom.

Clearly looking like Pistorius does not have a leg to stand on so to speak if we are to believe what has been in the media so far.
It will be interesting to see how this turns out and gets spun.

Okie

AF1624

Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:16 pm

So wait...

Pistorius gets angry at Reeva, grabs his cricket bat, hits her. She runs away and locks herself in the bathroom. He grabs a gun as she is running away, shoots once, misses. Walks towards the WC and shoots through a closed door (maybe not expecting the bullets to go through the door?).

Opens the door somehow, realises what he has done, tries to repair the unrepairable by reviving her.

If that's how things went - clearly the guy is f-ed up in the head.
Cheers

Aesma

Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:57 pm

If that's really the story then I'm not sure I would call that premeditated murder, that would be quite a crazy plan.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

scbriml

Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:14 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 32):
If that's really the story then I'm not sure I would call that premeditated murder

So he attacked her with a cricket bat, then picked up a loaded gun when she ran away and tried to hide from him? I don't see him escaping a murder charge in those circumstances. He wasn't interested in talking to her through the bathroom door, was he?

Aesma

Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:34 pm

Well it depends of your definition of premeditated, and murder. But to me that doesn't look like something thought much in advance. More like a crime of passion.

NAV20

Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:14 am

Quoting AF1624 (Reply 31):
Walks towards the WC and shoots through a closed door (maybe not expecting the bullets to go through the door?).

She'd locked the door - he could well have been shooting the lock out?

ltbewr

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:36 am

Right now, all we have are unverified leaks of alleged acts and evidence as well as a woman dead of an act of violence in a certain internationally known person's home. The world's media has already tried him and convicted him. I don't know how SA's criminal justice systems works, by law and in reality, perhaps someone from SA could discuss it here or give references to understand the likely situation for Pistorius.

scbriml

Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:30 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 34):
Well it depends of your definition of premeditated, and murder.

I suspect the majority of murders are not premeditated. It doesn't make them any less murders.

Quoting Aesma (Reply 34):
More like a crime of passion.

Isn't this a uniquely French thing?

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 35):

In my experience, the average household bathroom lock wouldn't require being shot out. Certainly not four times.

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 36):
I don't know how SA's criminal justice systems works, by law and in reality, perhaps someone from SA could discuss it here or give references to understand the likely situation for Pistorius.

As indicated earlier in the thread, pretty much the same way it works in the US or UK. He's been charged with murder, he'll be tried by jury. The assumption is that he's innocent until proven guilty.

SA7700

Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:21 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 37):
He's been charged with murder, he'll be tried by jury. The assumption is that he's innocent until proven guilty.

We don't have juries in South Africa. As pointed out before the accused has the right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 36):
The world's media has already tried him and convicted him.

Absolutely correct. The Sunday papers here have gone ahead and published privileged court information, which was barred by the Magistrate, so much for the credence of the media.
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

scbriml

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:24 pm

Quoting SA7700 (Reply 38):
We don't have juries in South Africa.

So who decides his guilt, a panel of judges?

Must admit I'm pretty surprised you don't have trial by jury.

SA7700

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:11 pm

Depending of the case a judge alone or a judge with the assistance with senior.advocates

[Edited 2013-02-18 12:12:47]

NAV20

Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:09 am

Quoting scbriml (Reply 37):
In my experience, the average household bathroom lock wouldn't require being shot out. Certainly not four times.

On the other hand, an amateur using a semi-automatic pistol might very easily loose off more rounds than were necessary? Some mention of shooting at the lock here:-

"According to this theory, the athlete first shot Miss Steenkamp by accident, whereupon she fled to the bathroom. He then shot at the door lock to try to get in, accidentally killing her.

"Pistorius’s father appeared to suggest it is this version that he believes."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...Reeva-Steenkamp.html#ixzz2LIoqOpW8
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

The police, of course, have the door; so they'll know from the location of the bullet-holes whether shooting the lock out was the probable intention. If that's how it turns out, there might be a chance of the charge being 'argued down' to manslaughter?

AF1624

Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:02 am

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 41):

It would if you had no legs. I'm not even kidding. Blowing a door open by kicking it is relatively easy. A lot less so if you're not... well... agile on your legs.
Cheers

OA260

Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:45 am

Oscar Pistorius 'Put On Legs To Kill Partner'

During the bail hearing, prosecutor Gerrie Nel argued he fired four shots at unarmed Reeva Steenkamp through a locked door, showing it was a premeditated murder. He added there was "a motive to kill".
Mr Nel said Ms Steenkamp had barricaded herself inside the small, cramped bathroom with an overnight bag because she was scared after they'd had a row.

news.sky.com

Seems stranger by the day . Will be interesting to hear his account of things.

NAV20

Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:54 am

Quoting AF1624 (Reply 42):
Quoting NAV20 (Reply 41):

Not a big problem, AF1624, but you're quoting scrimbl, not me.  

[Edited 2013-02-19 02:55:21]

scbriml

Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:03 pm

Quoting AF1624 (Reply 42):
A lot less so if you're not... well... agile on your legs.

Pistorius has shown himself to be more than adequately agile on his 'legs'.   

NAV20

Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:08 pm

LOL, scrimbl........  

QANTAS077

Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:23 pm

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 35):

and in saying that, who on earth locks the bathroom door these day? sounds more like she was hiding from him than trying to take a toilet stop..he says he was out on the balcony getting a fan and heard noises in the bathroom, grabs his guns and fires, then realises she is not in bed...smells fishy to me.

connies4ever

Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:41 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 39):
Quoting SA7700 (Reply 38):
We don't have juries in South Africa.

So who decides his guilt, a panel of judges?

Must admit I'm pretty surprised you don't have trial by jury.

In Canada, we do have, theoretically, trial by jury. But in fact, 90%+ of criminal cases are tried in front of a judge alone.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

NAV20

Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:36 am

Here's Pistorius' affidavit, presented to the court yesterday:-

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...us-affidavit-idUSBRE91I0OL20130219

Food for thought.......

PS - photographs/plan of bathroom here. He doesn't appear to have shot at the lock:-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nded-Pistorius-fired-gun-door.html

[Edited 2013-02-19 17:15:51]