RussianJet
Topic Author

Woman With No Arms Flies Plane

Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:13 am

I know this is sort of aviation-related, but I think the human part of the story is the bigger deal, hence posting it here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21377627

This woman is pretty amazing. She drives her car with her feet, and has been able to learn to fly a plane likewise. Pretty incredible achievements. Is there precedent for limbless pilots?
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

WarRI1

RE: Woman With No Arms Flies Plane

Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:57 am

That is amazing. When next I complain about something, how could I not think of her. You talk about accomplished. She is a champ.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Aesma

Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:54 am

There was someone who flew without legs. I don't remember the story exactly but (s)he used a plane that had no rudder pedals anyway.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Quokkas

Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:13 am

Quoting RussianJet (Thread starter):
Is there precedent for limbless pilots?

Perhaps one of the most famous in Britain would be Douglas Bader. He lost both his legs in an accident while flying in 1931. He was fitted with artificial limbs and through sheer tenacity and determination proved himself fit enough to rejoin the RAF.

During WWII he took part in the Battle of Britain before being shot down and become an inmate of Colditz. He was awarded the DSO (and Bar) and DFC (and Bar) and became a Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire and was later knighted for services to disabled people.

Perhaps not the same as flying without arms, but still a story of courage in the face of adversity.
“Not to laugh, not to cry, not to hate, but understand.” Spinoza

Aesma

Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:35 pm

Found it, it's the ERCO Ercoupe : you don't need legs to fly it.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jose Luis Ghezzi

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Roberto Bianchi Piti Spotter Club

New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

falstaff

Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:01 pm

She drives her car with her feet, and has been able to learn to fly a plane likewise.

That is amazing. When I was in college I went to class with a guy who had no arms and he could drink beer with his feet, as long as he had a mug with a handle. I know it isn't much of an accomplishment compared to this, but I was amazed at all the stuff that guy could do with no arms.

Quoting Quokkas (Reply 3):
Perhaps one of the most famous in Britain would be Douglas Bader. He lost both his legs in an accident while flying in 1931. He was fitted with artificial limbs and through sheer tenacity and determination proved himself fit enough to rejoin the RAF.

I never heard of that guy, but I want to learn more about him, he sounds like a great guy.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

DeltaMD90

Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:04 pm

Is anyone even more impressed she can eat with chopsticks with her feet? I mean flying a plane is impressive, but I cannot for the life of me use chopsticks and I have hands! lol
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

zippyjet

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:10 am

I can't pull up images on this computer. Isn't she the youngish athletic woman thats sort of hot looking who was refused service at a fast food drive in window when she used her feet to pay them and receive her fast food?
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!