1337Delta764
Topic Author

Office Depot And OfficeMax In Merger Talks

Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:14 am

It looks like Office Depot and OfficeMax are in merger talks according to this article:
http://articles.marketwatch.com/2013...grupo-gigante-sab-mexican-retailer

If I would guess, even though Office Depot is the larger of the two, I would expect OfficeMax would be the acquiring entity as they are in better financial shape. As for the name, that is a bit hard to determine. Interestingly, there are NO Office Depot stores anywhere in the Phoenix metropolitan area; they pulled out of the market in 2001.

Note that Office Depot tried to merge with Staples in 1997, but the deal was blocked due to concerns that it would have led to higher prices and reduced competition.

[Edited 2013-02-19 19:23:26]
The Pink Delta 767-400ER - The most beautiful aircraft in the sky

Tugger

RE: Office Depot And OfficeMax In Merger Talks

Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:49 am

Honestly, I always thought they were both the same company, just using different names for other reasons (someone else had rights to the Office Depot name in that state/region). The names, including the font just look so similar.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:12 am

Quoting tugger (Reply 1):
Honestly, I always thought they were both the same company, just using different names for other reasons (someone else had rights to the Office Depot name in that state/region). The names, including the font just look so similar.

The old Office Depot logo font looked similar to the OfficeMax font, but it was changed to a less rounded slab serif font. Also, the OfficeMax logo now has black letters with a colorful ball of rubber bands, although many store fronts still have the old red letters.

[Edited 2013-02-19 20:14:21]

jetblueguy22

Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:28 pm

Quoting tugger (Reply 1):

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this. I figured it was like a Carl's Jr/Hardee's type of thing.
These office stores seem to be a dying breed. The only thing I ever go there for is printer ink, and even then I get it when I make my way to target. Every time I go to my local Staples it is always empty. Maybe it is just the area I live in, but if it is like that industry wide they are in huge trouble.
Pat
All of the opinions stated above are mine and do not represent Airliners.net or my employer unless otherwise stated.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:02 pm

It's official now, Office Depot and OfficeMax have officially announced plans to merge:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ice-depot-officemax-merge/1932189/

Ken777

Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:39 pm

This is like two brands of oatmeal merging. One of the least exciting corporate events of 2013.

srbmod

Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:57 pm

Here in the Atlanta area, OfficeMax closed a number of their locations several years back. I've got an Office Depot location in the shopping center at the front of my neighborhood which is really convenient (They were previously located in a shopping center down the street from my house and kept it open for several months after they opened the new location.). Anytime I need printer ink, cables, etc., I can swing right by there and be in and out in a few minutes.

I don't think they'll be too much resistance from the Feds on this merger seeing as the entire retail environment has changed dramatically since they vetoed the Office Depot/Staples merger back in 1997. While there have always been smaller office supply companies they compete with for corporate accounts, there's been some consolidation within the smaller companies that have created some sizable regional office supply companies that can better compete with the likes of Office Max, Office Depot and Staples. The growth of online retailers has reduced some of the need for brick and mortar locations as well.

ltbewr

Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:00 am

I remember about 5-6 years ago Office Max shut down a number of stores nationwide especially in weak markets or difficult to service.
Probably this will go thourgh, obiously some of stores will be shut down currently under each brand where close together, Staples will gain with one less competitor.

Flytravel

Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:50 pm

The question is will they keep the OfficeMax name or Office Depot name, or both? Office Depot has more stores so less it convert if that was kept, but I think the OfficeMax name is more concise, sounds better and less 1999 looking and loosely having Depot associated with Home Depot.

I can't see justification for both names, but A&P does with Pathmark and Superfresh in Philly and other markets, but A&P is a lousy example to follow. A non grocery related example would be TJMaxx and Marshall's, but in apparel/clothing, it's different. There is probably less reason to keep both names here.