na
Topic Author

V16 Ultra-Roadster From Rolls-Royce(?)

Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:00 pm

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-...lls-Royce-V16-roadster-2017-scoop/

No.1 luxury car brand Rolls-Royce is currently testing wether a gigantic Roadster and/or a SUV carrying the Emily would make sense. From my side they get a definite no, especially a SUV is something they should never succumb to. Imho that would damage the brand considerably in the long term, as such car would before all especially attract Rappers, Red-Light-district kings, tasteless sheikhs, Chinese noveau-rich and other dubious people. Certainly its not for the classic RR-clientele.
I am a great fan of the brand, but I think both concepts look like they have jumped out of a comic strip or videogame.

Kiwirob

RE: V16 Ultra-Roadster From Rolls-Royce(?)

Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:08 pm

The gigantic V16 roadster is a big yes from me, the Phantom range was designed from the outset with V16 engines in mind, Rowan Atkinson owns a V16 Phantom Coupe, I've heard some others have also been built for special customers. The SUV is a no go, I would be surprised if one was ever launched.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-B_cfAliKvJk/TndkFxrsz_I/AAAAAAAAAAU/Wx4RYjnI6dc/s1600/rollstop.jpeg

Aesma

Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:24 pm

A V16 engine inside a very long engine bay would be great.

But we're not talking about that. We're talking about a W16 engine, aka an abomination that should never have existed !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Kiwirob

Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:40 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 2):
We're talking about a W16 engine, aka an abomination that should never have existed !

No they are not BMW have already designed and built a V16, it's design is based on the existing 6.75 litre V12 already found in the Phantom and Ghost. The W16 is a VW creation only found in the Bugatti Veyron, I suspect Rolls Royce are contemplating the V16 Speedster as something to steel the thunder of the eventual Bugatti Calibre.

BMI727

Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:07 am

Cool car, but definitely not my style.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

zckls04

Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:30 am

Quoting na (Thread starter):
Imho that would damage the brand considerably in the long term, as such car would before all especially attract Rappers, Red-Light-district kings, tasteless sheikhs, Chinese noveau-rich and other dubious people. Certainly its not for the classic RR-clientele.

I'd argue that ship has sailed. Like Bentleys they've lost any sophistication they might once have had; now the nouveau-riches are their client base. 50 cent, Jay Z, Shaq, David Beckham, Snoop Dogg, Simon Cowell, P Diddy, Nelly, the Sultan of Brunei and his brother Jefri, Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Alsaud. All Rolls owners!
Four Granavox Turbines!