United Airline
Topic Author

Top Ten Largest Newspapers?

Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:55 am

Can anyone give me the list of top ten largest newspapers?

I suppose Wall Street Journal is number 1 right?

Kiwirob

RE: Top Ten Largest Newspapers?

Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:07 am

Quoting United Airline (Thread starter):

I suppose Wall Street Journal is number 1 right?

You'd be wrong

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...papers_in_the_world_by_circulation

United Airline
Topic Author

Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:57 am

WOW I am surprised! Japanese is not an international language and I guess the Japanese newspapers are limited to domestic consumption. Also Japan has less people than the US

blueflyer

Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:08 am

Quoting United Airline (Reply 2):
Also Japan has less people than the US

In the US, most people read their "hometown" newspaper still. The Wall Street Journal and USA Today are what pass off for national newspapers, only one is evidently specialized and the other is distributed mostly through airports and hotels because travelers from one city really don't care for the local newspaper of the city they visit. The New York Times is trying to become a nationwide newspaper in competition with USA Today, with both a national edition and a Texas edition, but it isn't there yet...
Democracy 2016: 3 million California votes < 100,000 Midwest votes.

RayChuang

Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:56 pm

If you are fluent in Japanese, I'd recommend reading the Asahi Shinbun, a newspaper that is highly respected even outside of Japan. I personally think people in Japan still read more newspapers out of habit, while here in the USA people are more likely to get their news from various online sources.

rfields5421

Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:26 pm

I am surprised! Japanese is not an international language and I guess the Japanese newspapers are limited to domestic consumption. Also Japan has less people than the US

Even back in 1982 - Japan newspaper circulations exceeded US circulations by several orders of magnitude.

US newspapers have been suffering from the competition with television from the 1960s.

Most of the Japanese read the newspaper daily. One factor is that most Japanese commute to work on public transportation - so reading a newspaper on the train or bus is very common.

I would suspect the internet is beginning to make inroads among young Japanese and slowing circulation numbers. But I wonder about the ability to use smart phones on the subway and train lines as they go through tunnels frequently.

Being a smaller nation than the US - Japan is able to support five true national newspapers because there is less regional distinction.

Quoting RayChuang (Reply 4):
I'd recommend reading the Asahi Shinbun, a newspaper that is highly respected even outside of Japan.

The Asahi Shimbun is an excellent paper with an international reputation.

Japan even supports an English language only paper - The Japan Times - with a circulation of over 40,000.

PHX787

Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:51 pm

WOW I am surprised! Japanese is not an international language and I guess the Japanese newspapers are limited to domestic consumption. Also Japan has less people than the US

True but Japanese really rely on these papers. 127M people, and wide distribution. Not surprising this is on that list  
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

RussianJet

Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:08 pm

Disgusted that two of our worst UK papers make the top ten......awful rags.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

sccutler

Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:31 pm

And since when has "USA Today" qualified as a newspaper?
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

Revelation

Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:46 pm

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 5):
Most of the Japanese read the newspaper daily. One factor is that most Japanese commute to work on public transportation - so reading a newspaper on the train or bus is very common.

Interesting to read that:

Quote:

the numbers of the Japanese newspapers have been subjected to claims of "Oshigami" or circulation exaggeration[5]

as well as the linked article, http://www.theaustralian.com.au/medi...iness/story-e6frg996-1225809984734

It also points out that they have been hurt by more use of direct-mail, perhaps a response by advertisers to the exaggerated circulation numbers. Note the article was written in 2009 so it might be out of date.

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 5):
I would suspect the internet is beginning to make inroads among young Japanese and slowing circulation numbers. But I wonder about the ability to use smart phones on the subway and train lines as they go through tunnels frequently.

The article says:

Quote:

Gradually the ageing but still numerous generations who take the big dailies and NHK (the Japan Broadcasting Corporation) as their principal information sources are being edged aside by the post-1980s, post-bubble cohorts -- fewer, generally less well-off, inveterate IT-adopters, much less tethered to authorised news.

According to the most recent Japan Newspaper Publishers Association (NSK) readership survey, morning papers were read daily by 86 per cent of people aged 60-plus, 54 per cent of 30 to 40-year-olds, and 34 per cent of 20 to 30s. NSK finds that although 73 per cent of daily news consumers read newspapers, 69 per cent, a big overlap, access online news by mobile phones, the most common internet device in Japan.

so it seems the trend is there.
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!