HAWK21M
Topic Author

Iphone Tips.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:01 pm

I've got an Iphone4S but really struggling to move files between the cellphone and itunes......
Anyone having better ideas.
Just cant move new ringtones into the cellphone.
Nor can I send sound files to friends.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

RedTailDTW

RE: Iphone Tips.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:45 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Thread starter):
Just cant move new ringtones into the cellphone

You cannot drag and drop normal ringtones into iTunes or onto the iPhone as the only format supported for ringtones on iOS devices is ".m4r" files. The only way to get different ringtones on your iPhone is to either buy them from iTunes directly or to find a way to convert the file type from ".mp3" to ".m4r"

I am sure Klaus will probably have a solution for you but for me its a bit hard to explain...

- Mason
Airlines Flown: AA, CO, HP, MQ, NW, RP, UA, US, WN, YX / Aircraft Flown: 737-200/300/700/800, 757-200/300, 777-200, A319/A320/A321, DC-9-30/50, DC-10-40, ERJ 140/145, E170, MD80/83/90

aloges

Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:52 pm

Quoting RedTailDTW (Reply 1):
I am sure Klaus will probably have a solution for you but for me its a bit hard to explain...

AFAIK, you can simply change the suffix/file extension of any .m4a file to .m4r and use it as a ringtone, provided that the file is within the limitation of iPhone ringtones... 40 seconds maximum length, IIRC. If you want to use an .mp3 file, you will need to convert it to .m4a before renaming it, which iTunes can do for you.

I've only done all of that once for a small number of tones, can't be bothered with changing ringtones. So please forgive me if the above was inaccurate.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Braniff747SP

Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:09 am

There is a way to do it, and it is not particularly complicated--it escapes me, though, so I'll let our resident Apple Genius bar rep Klaus explain. It's widely available online, too.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

Klaus

Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:56 am

Ringtones are indeed just AAC audio files with a changed file extension as explained above.

• you can use any sound editing program you like to cut a track to size
• change the file extension of the result to m4r
• drag it into iTunes (it should show up in the "Tones" tab)
• make sure that in the iTunes settings for the iPhone "Sync Tones" is enabled
• sync

Strictly speaking this is not entirely in compliance with standard music licensing, which is why Apple didn't make it obvious how to do it yourself but they still didn't actually prevent you from doing it.

Copying music files out of the library is not facilitated for the same reason, but since the music remains DRM-free, you can still copy the files from and via your computer. iTunes will even show you the Files in the Finder or Explorer on request (check the context menu for a file or album).

You can also use iOS apps like Good Reader or similar ones to transport files as data (it opens a mountable network drive via WiFi which can be used like a portable harddisk or a Flash stick). Nothing prevents you from transporting music files that way if you choose to do so.

These apps also support on-device viewing and in some cases editing of the files they manage (audio, video, text, PDF etc.). I use Good Reader as a document manager particularly on the iPad so I've completely stopped printing anything out on paper.

It is also possible to copy files between apps via the "share" mechanism (usually represented by the button with an arrow pointing out of a box) , such as downloaded files from the iCab mobile browser to Good Reader or vice versa for uploading. Or to browse other servers from the app and transfer files that way.

casinterest

Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:38 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 4):
Ringtones are indeed just AAC audio files with a changed file extension as explained above.

• you can use any sound editing program you like to cut a track to size
• change the file extension of the result to m4r
• drag it into iTunes (it should show up in the "Tones" tab)
• make sure that in the iTunes settings for the iPhone "Sync Tones" is enabled
• sync

I played a bit with this tonight, prior to Klaus's post, but can confirm it is as easy as this. There is an app out on the Iphone where you pick your song from your i and then edit out your file.

Blackout labs Ringtone Designer.

As Klaus said it isn't slickly inuitive due to the licensing, but the video on youtube from Blackout pretty much shows you all you need to know about getting the files off your iphone, and back in as ringtones. I even tested renaming and mp3 to mr4 and imported it with no issues.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

Klaus

Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:02 am

Quoting casinterest (Reply 5):
I even tested renaming and mp3 to mr4 and imported it with no issues.

Ah, good to know!   

casinterest

Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:19 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 6):
Quoting casinterest (Reply 5):
I even tested renaming and mp3 to mr4 and imported it with no issues.

Ah, good to know!

Scratch that. The file was an m4r to begin with,

Need a converter.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.