ORDTLV2414
Topic Author

Should AA/UA Sue The Banks That Funded 9/11?

Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:38 pm

Since some middle eastern banks transferred funds to the Al Qadea terrorists, dont they assume some responsiblity for the planes that UA/AA lost. I'm not a legal expert, I know nothing about International law and this might be dumb but i was just wondering and thats what makes A.net so great.

EA CO AS

RE: Should AA/UA Sue The Banks That Funded 9/11?

Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:30 am

Did they fund a terrorist enterprise knowing what it was? Then yes. If they funded what they thought was just flight training or other seemingly-innocent-at-the-time items, then no.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

PHX787

Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:35 am

Lets not forget Al Qaeda had numerous front businesses before 9/11....so I highly doubt these banks knew what was going on.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

steex

Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:45 am

I won't comment on the legitimacy of a possible lawsuit, but either way, I highly doubt the airlines would want to purposely reignite significant public discussion of themselves related to 9/11 in any context. The potential for negative PR that arises from misunderstanding members of the public likely outweighs any potential settlement.

ORDTLV2414
Topic Author

Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:17 am

I see what your saying. 9/11 caused many people to be afraid of flying, which would in turn cause AA/UA to lose profits.

Braniff747SP

Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:44 am

Quoting ORDTLV2414 (Reply 4):

It is not necessarily that--it is merely the negative PR that it would generate.

I'd assume, however, that AA and UA got a hefty insurance payout--any claim could be the insurance's, no?
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

ATCtower

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:11 am

Again, more of what is wrong with our society that you would even pose the question.

Even pre-assinine regulation of the banking system, no legitimate bank would fund a known terrorist organization. While I am not completely versed in civil law, in the criminal courts, the airlines would have to prove something like mens rea meaning 'guilty mind' (or that the banks knowingly funded such terror groups, which they would not do).

That said, I would be amazed to see either airline dish up ANYTHING related to 9/11. If I am not mistaken even the insurance settlements on the A/C are kept non-disclosed and the airlines want it that way. To dredge up ANY news of their airline being involved in the attacks would go against everything their PR departments have done to mitigate the airline involvement.

IF (and that is a huge if) the banks knew of terrorist ties to those being funded and circumvented all of their own regulations in reporting (including their independent audit departments), then yes, I would say they 'could' be liable, but neither airline would even fathom such suit considering whatever meager punitive damages they could receive would be greatly outweighed by the legal fees to do so and only stir up bad PR.

My $.02
By reading the above post you waive all rights to be offended. If you do not like what you read, forget it.

aklrno

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:15 am

It is probably too late anyway. It's been nearly 12 years. There are time limits.

ltbewr

Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:25 pm

There were lawsuits brought by victims of 9/11 and other terror acts against governments and banks in the middle east (Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Syria, Lebanon, Palestinian Territory, Gulf states), extensive discovery done but eventually the cases dismissed due to issues of standing and diplomatic pressure from the US Government. The airlines could have participated in those lawsuits, or on their own but may have been banned from doing so by the bailout the US Government gave then after 9/11.
There are still active cases by less than 100 victims of 9/11 against AA & UA who rejected the post-9/11 compensation offers and seeking vengeance, 'the truth' of disclosing the lack of proper security as to the airlines (lack of secure cockpit door systems and procedures in case of a hijacking).

RussianJet

Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:55 pm

Make sure that you sue the cleaners who cleaned the banks too, and perhaps people who unwittingly served the terrorists coffee before their hideous acts.

As far as I'm aware there is no evidence that banks in any way wittingly financed 11/9, so no - a bit silly to suggest duing them.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

SXDFC

Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:49 pm

I think UA/AA have many more issues to worry about than suing the banks that funded 9/11...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Maverick623

Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:43 pm

Quoting aklrno (Reply 7):
It is probably too late anyway. It's been nearly 12 years. There are time limits.

There is no statute of limitations on conspiracy to commit murder.

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 8):
The airlines could have participated in those lawsuits, or on their own but may have been banned from doing so by the bailout the US Government gave then after 9/11.

Neither UA nor AA received any ATSB loans.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way