varigb707
Topic Author

Galaxy S4 Is Coming...

Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:41 pm

Just reported on CNN (and it's alll over the web). Looks good. I may give up my S2 and give it a try.
http://i46.tinypic.com/2dw83ex.jpg
First, I said 'hey' and then I said 'now'. "Hey Now!" - Hank K.

baldwin471

RE: Galaxy S4 Is Coming...

Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:58 am

Already in love with my HTC One. Will pass on this one. Samsung pulled an Apple. Same horrid plasticky design with bumped specs. No doubt will be an incredible device, but the HTC One is just too good to give up. Maybe the SGS5 when Samsung (Hopefully) change their attitude and start using nicer materials and a better UI/UX.

steman

Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:16 am

Quoting baldwin471 (Reply 1):
Already in love with my HTC One. Will pass on this one. Samsung pulled an Apple. Same horrid plasticky design with bumped specs. No doubt will be an incredible device, but the HTC One is just too good to give up. Maybe the SGS5 when Samsung (Hopefully) change their attitude and start using nicer materials and a better UI/UX.

I totally agree with that. Got my HTC ONE one week ago, coming from two generations of iPhones before.
I really like it, the feel of it in your hands and the nice UI are great.
I didn´t think it could be so easy to adapt from iOS to Android.
Only problem I have is the size of the screen. Though I love it being bigger than the iPhone4, it does represent a challenge to be used with one hand while walking.

The Samsung Galaxy S4 being almost identical to the S3 was for me as much a disappointment as the iPhone5 over the 4.
Despite never having considered HTC before, the ONE came out as a nice surprise. Great design and built coupled with top notch specs.
It´s my new digital home for the next couple of years.

Revelation

Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:52 am

Quoting steman (Reply 2):
Despite never having considered HTC before, the ONE came out as a nice surprise. Great design and built coupled with top notch specs.
It´s my new digital home for the next couple of years.

My last phone was an HTC and while it was innovative when it came out, it came up short on durability.
Inspiration, move me brightly!

baldwin471

Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:53 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 3):
My last phone was an HTC and while it was innovative when it came out, it came up short on durability.

Which phone was that?

AirPacific747

Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:50 pm

Don't know if I should get the GS4 or wait for a Note 3 whenever it arrives.

Revelation

Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:38 pm

Quoting baldwin471 (Reply 4):
Which phone was that?

Thunderbolt on VZW, chosen for the reasons given in the Wikipedia write-up:

Quote:

The HTC ThunderBolt (ADR6400L codename "Scorpion" or "Mecha") was the first 4G LTE smartphone on the Verizon Wireless network. It is a CDMA/LTE variant of the HTC Desire HD. It was first announced at CES on January 6, 2011.

In addition to 4G service, the ThunderBolt is the first Verizon phone to support simultaneous voice/data over 3G without the help of Wi-Fi.

Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_ThunderBolt

Aeri28

Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:50 pm

My similar dilemma. I got the Motorola Razr (non Maxx) when it first came out last year and I've got about six months left on it,. Still works like a dream, but I have big hands and I am severely tempted to get my hands on the Note 3 when it comes out. I have no interest in a tablet so the note would fit my needs as a cross between phone and tablet. I have a friend who has the note 2 and loves it. I like the feel and the stylus (having a Palm Treo years ago). But six months from now who knows what Motorola might come out with (ive been pleased with Motorolas) but if I were getting a phone today, the HTC One is a beautiful piece of work. I like style and am not thrilled with the Galaxys in build or appearance. And Iphones are just too dang small.

I just read an article just now on Gizmodo where they mentioned Samsung was taking notice of the build of the HTC one and its aluminum body and were concerned the G4 might not be up to par. There was talk of having future SG4's with the aluminum body (apparently the 2 was made with alum at one time but for internal employee purchase only. They mentioned perhaps the Note 3 could be made with a stronger build such as aluminum which would be great.

baldwin471

Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:02 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 6):
Thunderbolt on VZW, chosen for the reasons given in the Wikipedia write-up:

That's interesting, as i have the GSM Desire HD, have had since it came out in 2009, and after two years of use and battering it still works great running Android 4.0 (CyanogenMod). Admittedly the side battery door has become loose, but a replacement only cost me a couple of £.

Also, the One is an entirely different beast altogether, with the aluminium unibody shell and zero-gap moulding.

Revelation

Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:34 pm

Quoting baldwin471 (Reply 8):
Also, the One is an entirely different beast altogether, with the aluminium unibody shell and zero-gap moulding.

Indeed they seem to have improved for the better. In my case, the touchscreen digitizer crapped out with a few months to go on the contract, which was a major PITA and left a bad taste in my mouth...

steman

Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:35 pm

I have read lots of reviews in lots of different websites before convincing myself that the ONE was good for me.
Only problems experiencing so far are a bad GPS reception indoor and a not enthusiastic battery life.
It´s ok, but not better than the iPhone4 I was using till last week.

casinterest

Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:35 am

If you want something big.
How about the Mega ? 6.3 inch or 5.8 inch. Apparently the Note is too small for Samsung?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22107787
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

AirPacific747

Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:46 am

Quoting casinterest (Reply 11):

As far as I am aware, the spces are not that impressive.

mmedford

Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:09 am

GF is moving to Verizon in early June; I'm giving her the GS3 and taking her shiny new GS4...
ILS = It'll Land Somewhere

Virginblue4

Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:12 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 11):

I don't think they can even be considered as phones. 6.3"?!?!?! That's ridiculous! Buy a tablet!

Anyway, as AirPacific said, the specs are not that great on those two 'phones'.
The amazing tale of flight.

casinterest

Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:14 pm

Quoting virginblue4 (Reply 14):

Anyway, as AirPacific said, the specs are not that great on those two 'phones'.

No they aren't, but they are big  

I am waiting for google and apple to just roll out facetime and google voice as carrier items  
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.