jetblueguy22
Topic Author

Two Bomb Blast In Boston USA Part 2

Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:29 pm

The last thread had gotten quite long so part two is being created. The previous thread can be found here Two Bomb Blast In Boston USA (by OA260 Apr 15 2013 in Non Aviation) .
The previous thread was getting a little heated. Please remember to follow the Airliners.net forum rules. This is a very high tension situation but forum rules still apply.
Thanks,
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

L-188

RE: Two Bomb Blast In Boston USA Part 2

Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:35 pm

Aerowesty,

I hate to tell this to y ou but what Slider is saying makes a lot of sense.

It hasn't been conclusively shown they did this for Islamic reasons but there is a heck of a lot of smoke.

Right now we have only begun to learn about these two
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

AeroWesty

Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:37 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 1):
It hasn't been conclusively shown they did this for Islamic reasons but there is a heck of a lot of smoke.

If you've read my posts over the years, I've NO problem calling a spade a spade. Just give me some definite proof instead of supposition, that's all. But I'm not going to go off on assumptions just because some wacko website got me all lathered up.
International Homo of Mystery

L-188

Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:43 pm

Actually I have said wait for things to sort out a couple of times on the previous thread, so I agree with you there.

But based what we know, I would have to say that I am more Comfortable calling it probably Islamically related then I when I went to bed last night,

I haven't seen the fire but it is sure getting smokey in here.

seb146

Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:49 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 1):
It hasn't been conclusively shown they did this for Islamic reasons

Then stop bringing Islam into it. What about Chechen independence? Couldn't they have committed this horrible act just simply for that?

Before anyone says anything, stop and think for a second:

A group in Russia wants religious freedom. They want to worship as they please. Contrast that with the United States where we allegedly have freedom of/from religion and, in theory, can worship as we please. I say that because of the uproar over a couple of Islamic centers and Mosques that have tried to be opened and loud mouth people who scream about "this is a Christian nation".

Shouldn't everyone be free to worship how they choose?

For someone to make that point by murder and violence is bad. Awful. I don't have enough negative words to describe it.
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

Boeing717200

Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:54 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 4):
Then stop bringing Islam into it. What about Chechen independence? Couldn't they have committed this horrible act just simply for that?

Before anyone says anything, stop and think for a second:

A group in Russia wants religious freedom. They want to worship as they please. Contrast that with the United States where we allegedly have freedom of/from religion and, in theory, can worship as we please. I say that because of the uproar over a couple of Islamic centers and Mosques that have tried to be opened and loud mouth people who scream about "this is a Christian nation".

Shouldn't everyone be free to worship how they choose?

For someone to make that point by murder and violence is bad. Awful. I don't have enough negative words to describe it.

Well, there is this:

http://dailycaller.com/2013/04/19/de...was-a-very-religious-muslim-boxer/

Dreadnought

Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:57 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 4):
Then stop bringing Islam into it. What about Chechen independence?

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know that the US somehow had laid a claim on Chechen territory. What does Chechen independence have to do with the US? Nothing. US-Russian relations have been strained because we have protested (correctly, IMHO) Russia's frequently harsh methods. We never cheered the Russians on. At the same time we have also not declared support for their independence. I.e. we are neutral on the issue of Chechnya.
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

L-188

Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:00 pm

Seb-I don't think the subjects of Chechen independence and Islam are seperatable. So no I don't think they would have done this act just for the former. I suspect that because of the civil war there they are alread ticked off Muslims and while the US played no role in chechnya(thank god!) I suspect their ideology supports is,amic extremists in other causes maki the US a legitimate target in their eyes......Enemy of, enemy kind of deal.

Maybe some of our Russian colleagues here can comment more fully on the motivations of chechyan terrorists.

PHX787

Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:05 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 1):

We can not say what their motive was unless this other dude on the run is caught and basically squeezed for everything he knows....

It kinda reminds me though of the columbine combo's thing...a duo with messed up brains...

From the other thread, via pvjin:

Quote:
I can understand why they are angry though, Russians destroying their whole capital into ruins using heavy artillery and randomly just going around and raping & killing civilians is something that would surely make anybody angry.

Well why would they attack us? Last I checked the US wasn't so friendly to Russia at the moment either....
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

Tugger

Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:10 pm

I wonder how they obtained the guns they had on them. I wonder what the fallout will be if they were bought via "private gun sales"....

(Just throwing another aspect into this discussion that is proceeding without solid information anyway already and just going off possibilities and assumptions)

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

L-188

Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:13 pm

Phx787- the Islamist in Chechnya and extremists in the middle east have always though they where fighting a common enemy, akathe west. Just like in Iraq and Afghanistan extremist fighters from other Islamic countries went there to join the fight.

The US never had a role in Chechnya but never condemned Russia for it, so I think it goes back to that old saying that goes, "The enemy of my enemy......"

But the perception is that the US is anti Islamic so if these two do prove out to be religious then I am going to suggest that religion played a lot bigger part in what they did then Cechian independence.

pvjin

Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:15 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 8):
Well why would they attack us? Last I checked the US wasn't so friendly to Russia at the moment either....

Yeah like I said I don't think this has anything to do with actual Chechen conflict, other than that of course the chaos there might have caused some Muslims who would have otherwise been peaceful to become radicalized...

It's not uncommon for some radical Muslims from abroad to travel to places like Chechnya and Afghanistan to fight Islamic Jihad, thus I guess it's not impossible that these two men wanted to fight against the United States because of the situation in Afghanistan / Iraq and such, like as act of solidarity towards their fellow Jihadists like people in Al Qaeda and Taliban.

[Edited 2013-04-19 09:15:48]
"Optimism is the madness of insisting that all is well when we are miserable." - Voltaire

AustrianZRH

Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:16 pm

And of course the comments that everything is a "gummint conspeersy", as DocLightning so nicely put it, already started. They claim everything to be a, quote, "false flag operation by private military contractors", unquote, and the police "punches holes into innocent people" to cover it up.

These statements are backed up by such trustworthy news sites like naturalnews.com, where, among others, such brilliant scientific knowledge like "HIV is made up by the pharma industry", "baking soda cures prostate cancer", and "vaccination causes brain disease" is published.

Trying to reason with the posters on the Austrian news outlet I found these comments on led to the conclusion that my "frontal lobe is unable to process realistic but disturbing information", which according to a "scientific survey holds true for 80% of all people" and is called - my favorite - "neurologically caused unrealistic optimism".

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASE!

[Edited 2013-04-19 09:18:50]
WARNING! The post above should be taken with a grain of salt! Furthermore, it may be slightly biased towards A.

WestJet747

Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:16 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 6):
At the same time we have also not declared support for their independence. I.e. we are neutral on the issue of Chechnya.
Quoting L-188 (Reply 12):
The US never had a role in Chechnya but never condemned Russia for it

If I recall correctly, Bush was actually highly critical of Putin's handling of the Chechen issue. I don't know if that amounts to "support", but he wasn't exactly neutral either. I don't think Obama has ever made any mention of it since he's taken office, which is fine because I think the US should keep their nose out of this one.

Quoting Pellegrine (Reply 9):
Bringing Islam into the equation reeks of an agenda.

I have to agree. Commentators on Toronto news stations made the unfortunately obvious point last night that the only reason this discussion has gone this direction is because there is a subset of Americans that WANT the perpetrators to be Muslim, and have committed these acts in the name of their beliefs.

At the end of the day, it's all just speculation at this point. We don't know why these guys did it (or even fully IF they did it, which is why I hope the other guy is caught and tried in a court of law). The only real outrage I'm feeling at any religion right now is at whatever the Westboro Baptist Church claim to be, since they are of course planning to picket the funerals.

Quoting Pellegrine (Reply 10):
I hate how in these situations the police always kill the suspects.

They caught the Unabomber and McVeigh alive.
Flying refined.

Tugger

Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:20 pm

It's unlikely, but I wish they could capture the last one alive so everyone could get some answers and closure. I hate how in these situations the police always kill the suspects.

Weirdly and of some concern to me, the press contacted their father over in Russia and while he apparently did not support what they did, he made an odd reference, perceived by some as a threat that if they were killed "all hell would break loose".

Quote:
The father of the suspects, reached in Makhachkala, Russia, by The Associated Press, characterized his younger son as an intelligent and accomplished young man.

"My son is a true angel," Anzor Tsarnaev said. "Dzhokhar is a second-year medical student in the U.S. He is such an intelligent boy. We expected him to come on holidays here."

Anzor Tsarnaev called on his son to surrender peacefully, but reportedly warned the United States that “all hell will break loose” if he’ll killed. He told ABC News that he spoke to his sons by phone earlier this week. He said his sons reassured him, saying, "Everything is good, Daddy. Everything is very good."

"Give up. Give up. You have a bright future ahead of you,” Anzor Tsarneav said, according to ABC News. “Come home to Russia.”

He continued: "If they killed him, then all hell would break loose."
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/19...ails-from-overseas-been-in-us-for/

Weird.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

flymia

Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:54 pm

CNN reported that based on their online activity, extremist beliefs are certainly in play.

The interview with his Uncle who has not seen the kids since December 2005 was interesting. The uncle is ashamed of them, and pleaded for the one still on the run to turn him self in. His uncle was intense, but seems like a good man.

It's unlikely, but I wish they could capture the last one alive so everyone could get some answers and closure. I hate how in these situations the police always kill the suspects.

Well so many times it is not the police but the person taking their own life once they know the police are coming. The police don't want to shoot the guy but they might have no choice. If he has a weapon and looks like he will use it those officers need to protect themselves. Nothing we can do. These people are nuts.

Quoting tugger (Reply 11):
I wonder how they obtained the guns they had on them. I wonder what the fallout will be if they were bought via "private gun sales"....

Given that they are both U.S. citizens, as of now there are no criminal records on these two guys they could have purchased a gun anyway with all the FBI checks in the world. So what you said makes ZERO sense. Nice try to get the gun debate in though. Well only the older brother could purchase a handgun.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

AeroWesty

Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:58 pm

falstaff

Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:03 pm

Quoting flymia (Reply 17):
Given that they are both U.S. citizens, as of now there are no criminal records on these two guys they could have purchased a gun anyway with all the FBI checks in the world. So what you said makes ZERO sense. Nice try to get the gun debate in though. Well only the older brother could purchase a handgun.

From what I heard on ABC news is that they were throwing hand grenades at police during the chase. If that is true they would not have been able to buy them legally. They would have had to buy them through some sort of illegal arms dealer and that person many very well have sold and illegally imported the guns along with the grenades.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

Revelation

Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:04 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 1):
I hate to tell this to y ou but what Slider is saying makes a lot of sense.

Not sure what you are talking about.

The only remaining post is:

Quoting slider (Reply 226):

Connect the dots gang...

It was the Saudis....

http://www.examiner.com/article/bost....likes%22%7D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

So the kid, with known and clear ties to powerful Saudi family and terror connections, is getting deported after a private meeting between Obama and the Saudi Foreign Minister?

Come on, we're not stupid. This ought to be front page news EVERYWHERE.

And clearly that post was conspiracy theory nonsense.
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

AeroWesty

Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:10 pm

I'm surprised it's taking so long to find this guy, it's been several hours now since the younger brother took off from the gunfight, and they know where he dropped the car. Perhaps he's hiding out in a vacant house or something?

Tugger

Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:16 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 22):
I'm surprised it's taking so long to find this guy, it's been several hours now since the younger brother took off from the gunfight, and they know where he dropped the car. Perhaps he's hiding out in a vacant house or something?

It is often hardest to find someone that doesn't move. If he is just hiding then it may be awhile, but the reality is you can't hide forever. At some point he will have to move, sleep, eat, get out, whatever.

Tugg

AeroWesty

Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:25 pm

I'm also wondering if he was so far ahead of the cops that he was able to find another car to carjack, and could be long gone. Just as I was thinking that, CNN broadcast the details for another car the police are looking for, a green Civic.

Revelation

Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:36 pm

#WANTED: Police seeking MA Plate: 116-GC7, ’99 Honda Sedan, Color - Green. Possible suspect car. Do not approach. http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BIO733TCUAEtyjQ.jpg

So he might be on the move...

Now editting a correction:

MASS STATE POLICE @MassStatePolice
Media reporting we are looking for a Honda Civic reg 116GC7, please note that we have that car. We are NOT looking for it. BOLO recalled

So it's not clear why they wanted that car, but they have it.

[Edited 2013-04-19 11:39:03]

Revelation

Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:46 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 24):
I'm also wondering if he was so far ahead of the cops that he was able to find another car to carjack, and could be long gone.

We know he fled on foot from the shootout where his brother was killed.

In the police radio recordings here we here the police supervisors telling the cops to pull back.

I imagine this is when the brother got away.

A timeline of events is here.

Seems the critical part is:

Quote:

Shortly before 10:20 p.m. -A 7-11 in Cambridge is robbed by the men believed to be the Boston Marathon bombing suspects.

10:20 p.m. - An MIT police officer was shot and killed in an ambush. It was originally reported that the officer had been responding to a report of disturbance in the area of Vassar and Main streets in Cambridge. However, law enforcement officials later said he was sitting in his car with his gun in his holster when he was “ambushed” by the two suspects.

Approximately 11:30 p.m. - An armed carjacking took place in the area of Third Street in Cambridge. The victim was held in the Mercedes SUV for approximately a half hour.

Friday, approximately 12 a.m. - The carjacking victim was released at a gas station on Memorial Drive in Cambridge. He was not injured. Police immediately began searching for the vehicle involved.

1 a.m. - Officers from several agencies were involved in a pursuit into Watertown. Gunshots and explosions were heard in the area of Dexter and Laurel streets in Watertown. Explosive devices were reportedly thrown from car by the suspects. The suspects and police also exchanged gunfire in the area of Dexter and Laurel streets. An MBTA police officer was shot and seriously injured during the pursuit. One of two Boston Marathon bombing suspects was injured and captured.

1 a.m. - Police agencies descended on Watertown. A manhunt was underway for the second suspect, who managed to escape on foot. A 20-block area was surrounded by police.

1:35 a.m. - The injured Boston Marathon Bombing suspect died at the hospital.

So the second brother who is being called 'white hat' by the cops and press has been on the lam since 1 am.

AeroWesty

Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:49 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 27):
We know he fled on foot from the shootout where his brother was killed.

Odd, the news has been saying all morning that he drove over his brother fleeing from the shootout.

(BTW, the death photo of Tamerlan Tsarnaev has been making the rounds. It's fairly gruesome, but apparently real.)

Geezer

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:25 pm

Lignet is reporting;

that two young brothers from the Russian province of Chechnya who have lived in the United States for several years were behind the April 16 bombings makes it likely that they were at least so-called “homegrown terrorists,” possibly radicalized by al-Qaeda propaganda on the Internet. There also is a strong possibility that the two were somehow recruited and trained by al-Qaeda operatives to stage the Boston attack.
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

Revelation

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:27 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 27):
Odd, the news has been saying all morning that he drove over his brother fleeing from the shootout.

A radio report I'm now hearing says the police chased the carjacked SUV with the two in it. They say the brothers stopped at an intersection, emerged and engaged in gunfire. They say the older brother had a bomb and advanced on police. That's when the other brother was fatally wounded. The younger brother got back into the car and in his haste to get away he backed up over the wounded brother then drove away. He was chased another six blocks or so and fled on foot. The police tried to establish a perimeter but the suspect eluded them.

AeroWesty

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 29):
The younger brother got back into the car and in his haste to get away he backed up over the wounded brother then drove away. He was chased another six blocks or so and fled on foot.

Thanks for this, that makes sense. So he could still be hiding outdoors, or could have broken into a home, or carjacked another car.

CNN just reported that they're 70% of the way through their house-to-house search of Watertown.

Revelation

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:49 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 30):
So he could still be hiding outdoors, or could have broken into a home, or carjacked another car.

A recent tweet:

Quote:

Police are still conducting an intense, door-to-door search in Watertown for Dzhokhor Tsarnaev, 19, a suspect in the Marathon bombings.
by Teresa Hanafin, Boston.com 3:29 PM

Seems the police are telling reporters that it's pretty likely the suspect is still in the area where he abandoned the vehicle, but they don't want to say much other than telling residents to stay inside with the doors locked.

Also:

Quote:

TwitterWesley Lowery @WesleyLowery
10 hours later, colleagues following up w/those inside of Watertown parimeter. Some still laying on floor of their houses with lights off

So it's very much an active pursuit.

And:

Quote:

CBS News is reporting that a package thrown at police in Cambridge earlier was a pressure cooker bomb, and that police found pipe bombs in the Norfolk Street, Cambridge home they are searching.

All reports from the live blog at http://live.boston.com/Event/Live_blog_Explosion_in_Copley_Square

Okie

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:51 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 29):
The younger brother got back into the car and in his haste to get away he backed up over the wounded brother then drove away. He was chased another six blocks or so and fled on foot. The police tried to establish a perimeter but the suspect eluded them.

I caught a You-tube video of the gun fire exchange with police at least 50 to 60 rounds. I would say it would be quite a stretch with the number of rounds I heard fired that "white hat" would not be wounded.
Most likely he has crawled under a house or in an out building or culvert and has scummed to his wounds. It would be hard to imagine that the police firing that many shots would miss their target.

Okie

L-188

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:58 pm

Okie, never underestimate a cops ability to miss a target.

Just look at all the rounds that where fired into that pickup with the two women in it.

But rest assure the cops are hunting, they have no interest in catching this kid alive.

Revelation

Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:27 pm

Photo of "White Hat", the surviving suspect, fleeing the blast:

Ref: http://www.wcvb.com/news/local/metro...rce=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

What is believed to be his Twitter account:

https://twitter.com/J_tsar

MD11Engineer

Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:17 pm

I´ll bet that the second guy topped himself already and is lying dead in someone´s garden shed.
Btw., I had a word a few days ago with a colleague, who comes from Aserbeijan. He is Muslim himself, of the moderate sort, and really hates the Wahabis and Salafists, who in his opinion give Islam a bad name. He explained a bit about the Chechnia conflict to me, in a way you won´t hear about in the news.
According to him the conflicts in the Northern Caucasus are based on tribal and clan differences, and got partially hijacked by rich Salafist and Wahabi groups from Saudi Arabia. He said that those groups primarely target young men, who even though they have an education, don´t see any future for themselves in the current regional economic climate. These men get offered large amounts of money for their families, but the groups want something in return. They also brainwash those young men to become fanatic jihadists willing to sacrifice their lives and kill whomever they see as an enemy (and this includes moderate Muslims too). He is a strong supporter of Russia´s methods to deal with the radicals.

Jan

[Edited 2013-04-19 14:38:40]
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Tugger

Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:25 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 43):
Quoting L-188 (Reply 42):
mainstream liberal media

A fantasy made up by Conservatives who are disillusioned with reality not matching their beliefs,

But Doc, you don't understand:

It's vast and the masses just don't understand how bad it really is!

Tugg

L-188

Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:28 pm

Excellent contribution Md11engineer!

Your friends observations certainly jives with some of others stories i have heard.

But returning to the media rumor mill there are reports that the older brother went to Russia for a few months a year ago. We don't know his travels but there is speculation he may have gone ti the conflict area and received training on how to do this.

Also there are starting to be media stories that one of them had YouTube videos from an Australian Imam who advocates recruiting children for jihad.

AeroWesty

Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:09 pm

It Costs $333 Million to Shut Down Boston for a Day

MA Gov: T is re-opened, and stay indoors order is lifted

Gatorman96

Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:26 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 49):
stay indoors order is lifted

Pretty amazing white hat was able to get away. Anybody know if there were air assets involved in the hunt last night? The police clearly believe he is no longer in Watertown. They kept saying during the press conference that they believe he is still in Massachusetts. Wow...

[Edited 2013-04-19 15:28:35]

Okie

Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:35 pm

Quoting gatorman96 (Reply 50):

Pretty amazing white hat was able to get away

I have to agree, the gunfight with police appeared to happen outside of the getaway vehicle before white hat drove away.
If that is the case they would have evidence whether or not white hat had any leaks before he abandon the car.

Okie

Revelation

Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:57 pm

Quoting gatorman96 (Reply 50):
Pretty amazing white hat was able to get away.

Sad but true. The thing I heard at the presser was that the cops at the scene were dealing with first aid so they didn't get after the suspect immediately. I'm confident the suspect will be caught, it's just a matter of time. It's clear the dude didn't have fleeing on his mind, he went to school Tuesday! He had a good three day lead before his picture came out and he chose not to take it.

Gatorman96

Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:57 pm

Breaking: Multiple gunshots supposedly heard in Watertown. Cops on the move....

AeroWesty

Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:06 pm

Lots of cops on the move, including from downtown Boston, plus SWAT and at least one ambulance. This may be something major.

AeroWesty

Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:10 pm

CNN: Watertown residents asked to remain indoors again.

Suspect believed to be cornered, and the suspect can be seen. Police firing gas into the 'confined area' where they believe the suspect is.

[Edited 2013-04-19 16:11:52]

Revelation

Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:33 pm

Suspect allegedly cornered, hiding in a boat in a back yard on Franklin St, East part of Watertown, MA, still thought to be alive.

It is being said that a thermal imager was used to locate the suspicious boat, then cops saw blood on it, and shots have been fired...

I thought that might aid the search.

[Edited 2013-04-19 16:37:43]

flymia

Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:38 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 58):
Suspect allegedly cornered, hiding in a boat in a back yard in Watertown, MA, still alive...

A boat makes a lot of sense. They are saying it is a structure that he could easily get into. A boat makes perfect sense. They don't want to get to close to him due to explosive concerns. Nothing confirmed but it seems like this is it. Hopefully he comes out alive and does not do anything stupid.

Also CNN reports his father is coming to the U.S. to get "justice" for his sons. CNN also reported another country government asked the FBI to interview the older brother about possible extremist connections. That will be a big thing later on once this man hunt is over.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Revelation

Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:53 pm

Quoting flymia (Reply 59):
A boat makes perfect sense.

All kinds of stories flying around. They are saying the suspect was hiding under the boat cover, and a helicopter with a thermal imager was able to locate him. It is also being said that this allowed them to get officers on the scene without alerting the suspect.

Another source is saying it was a good old fashioned tip-off from a phone caller. That seems to be more consistent with the reports of bullets flying. If they knew they had them isolated they would have probably have staged the attempted contact with the suspect with a bit more care.

Time will tell....

Now, more gunfire...

DocLightning

Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:58 pm

I just keep thinking about what a friggin' waste it all is.

Here were two handsome, intelligent young men. They had to have been pretty smart to have planned and executed this, and then to keep the Boston PD (and friends) busy for so long.

And then they both got caught up in religious extremism and here's the result. One dead and the other's life ruined assuming he survives (not that I have sympathy for him, please don't read that). And with it, a bunch of innocent dead and permanently disabled.

So unnecessary. SO unnecessary.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

AeroWesty

Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:02 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 61):
they both got caught up in religious extremism

We don't know that as an absolute fact yet.

seb146

Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:19 am

Quoting Pellegrine (Reply 9):
Bringing Islam into the equation reeks of an agenda.

So, we can call Timothy McVey an Christian terrorist and we can call James Holmes a Christian terrorist. We don't yet know the agenda of the Boston Marathon bombers, but some people are quick to point out they believe in some twisted version of a religion, so they must have done it because of religion.

Funny how that never ever happens with Christians. They just shoot people.

Quoting L-188 (Reply 11):
the perception is that the US is anti Islamic so if these two do prove out to be religious then I am going to suggest that religion played a lot bigger part in what they did then Cechian independence.

But, that makes no sense. Especially in a city like Boston. If they had those feelings in, say, Sioux Falls, I could understand a hatred. But in a city?
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

AeroWesty

Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:44 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 68):
He's an American citizen on US soil and Mr. Graham wants to throw out the Constitution. Apparrently, Mr. Graham believes that he has the divine right to decide who should and shouldn't get Constitutional rights within the USA.

The precedent exists for the suspect to be 'denaturalized' for having committed fraud during his naturalization process. That would strip him of U.S. citizenship and eligible for being handled as an enemy combatant.

ALTF4

Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:45 am

Police scanner saying suspect in custody
The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.