delta88
Topic Author

Boston Lockdown Effect On Logan Airport?

Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:53 pm

With The Whole City and Surrounding towns and cities in lockdown, how is this affecting logan airport? I know all Public Transportation is shut down today and there is an order not to drive and stay at home in boston. How is this affecting logan airport if so?
B712,B738,B739,B752,B762ER,B763ER,B772ER,MD82,MD83,MD88,MD90,A320,CRJ9,CRJ2,EMJ145,ERJ175

hinckley

Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:56 pm

BOS is open. Some local airspace is closed probably due to police and FBI aircraft. Taxis are running. Subways and busses are not.

kgaiflyer

Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:58 pm

Logan International sure isn't closed.

I guess it's just slowed down.

http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KBOS

RobertS975

Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:09 pm

But without public transportation, what are all the arriving passengers doing? For much of the day, there were no taxis allowed.

csturdiv

Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:15 pm

Quoting Roberts975 (Reply 3):
But without public transportation, what are all the arriving passengers doing? For much of the day, there were no taxis allowed.

Making other arrangements? If the taxis were not running per request from the authorities, there is not much that they could do other than make other arrangements.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

jcarv

Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:45 pm

If the taxi ban was not lifted, then there would have been problems getting people out of airport for sure.

DTWPurserBoy

Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:21 pm

The "T" is shut down, no taxi service, no private vehicles allowed on the streets. They might just as well close BOS til this is over. They passengers have nowhere to go. Of course, this will all be (fill in the blank) Airlines fault!
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

SCQ83

Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:24 pm

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 6):
The "T" is shut down, no taxi service, no private vehicles allowed on the streets. They might just as well close BOS til this is over. They passengers have nowhere to go. Of course, this will all be (fill in the blank) Airlines fault!

Are you serious?

I live in Cambridge (which is closer to Watertown than most of Boston...; and not far from the house of the man that has been killed tonight), and there were already taxis about midday. Private vehicles have never been banned on the streets (and I have seen private cars driving all the time - not many of them, probably like a Sunday - today with no issue). I just went out again for a walk and some fresh air and I have crossed more taxis with passengers than usual (I assume because this is pretty much the only public transportation available; in fact I saw a couple of them dropping passengers and they had luggage... most probably coming from BOS). And I have seen quite a few people jogging, cycling, walking their dogs or just taking some fresh air... btw the liquor shop and the 7-Eleven were packed  

I guess in Watertown things are not as nice as here, but seriously being in the "center" of the world attention today (and not trying to minimize the sad fact that a few people have been killed), I just realized how much media loves to dramatize everything (like Japanese journalists literally assaulting you on the street to ask you whether you feel safe or not...) showing that Boston metro area is a kind of war zone .

[Edited 2013-04-19 14:27:46]

SPREE34

Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:53 pm

We are become a pathetic, scared, and manipulated society. Which means "They" are winning.

Go on with life. We have no guarantees of anything. The mayor should be ashamed of these actions.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

IMissPiedmont

Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:14 am

Quoting SPREE34 (Reply 8):

One of the best statements I have ever read in these forums.

The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

scarebus03

Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:18 am

I don't ever remember lockdowns in Belfast, London or Dublin. Must be a new buzzword..........
No faults found......................

skywaymanaz

Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:20 am

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 6):
The "T" is shut down
Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 7):
Are you serious?

Unfortunately I think they had to do this given that you have bombing suspects desperate, on the run and tossing out bombs. An underground explosion on the T had to be a huge concern.

We are become a pathetic, scared, and manipulated society. Which means "They" are winning.

Also true. I found it amusing that in a press conference the day of the bombing a reporter was quite rude addressing Gov. Patrick's comment that there would be random bag inspections on the T. Asked the Gov. flat out if the police would be putting their hands inside our underwear. You know I really really wish that truly was as outrageous question as it sounds but we've all grown accustomed to that rather unspeakable act as the new normal at the airport. Good to hear some push back alive and well. I for one find that routine practice unacceptable and do not wish to live in a police state. The extent to which Boston was shut down today does appear to be overkill though. There will probably be a big economic impact because of it.

eastern747

Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:45 am

Well they just got the kid....19 years old and loved his older to death......Dad in Russia, Mom stealing from Lord and Taylor and Uncle hasn't seen him from 2008.....Tonight on the news they are jumping for joy in Boston like we killed Hitler.....Granted the city should have been on alert...but lock down...No way.......We are Americans and have been through more....We are not rabbits who run and hide........In all honestly the older brother may have been turned in a visit to Russia....I don't know ....but this kid was apparently a good guy according to friends, as was his brother before before the Muslim stuff....anyway I feel sorry for him and know he is scared to death.....it's all wrong IMHO

greaser

Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:49 am

Go on with life. We have no guarantees of anything. The mayor should be ashamed of these actions.

It sounds as though the lockdown was not just for public safety, but to conserve police resources and allow them to focus on the manhunt, instead of being called out to car crashes, store thefts, etc.

I don't think they would have shut the city down if the suspect did not throw bombs on the roads and if his brother did not have a bomb vest on him....
Now you're really flying