AR385
Topic Author

Woman In El Salvador Needs To Abort. Can´t

Fri May 03, 2013 1:54 am

http://sociedad.elpais.com/sociedad/.../actualidad/1367438239_003215.html

A 22 year old woman in El Salvador is carrying a 20 week old anencephalic foetus. She suffers from Lupus erythematosus discoid and acute renal failure.

The doctors in charge of her have repeatedly said she will not survive the pregnancy, but in El Salvador, thanks to a law passed in the 90s, no woman may interrumpt her pregancy, under whatever circumstance, no exception. The penalty for this is 50 years of jailtime for the woman and 12 for the doctor who perform it.

More than 20 days ago, the Salvadoran COMission for human Rights has petitoned the government for an exemption from the law, to no avail.

What a disgraceful situation. And they pride themsevels in being one of the "better" countries in Central America. What are they expecting, for the woman to die, put her on life support and carry to term an anencephalic product?

Shameful.

[Edited 2013-05-02 18:56:01]

Jetsgo

RE: Woman In El Salvador Needs To Abort. Can´t

Fri May 03, 2013 3:59 am

Can she go somewhere else, have the abortion, and return? Or would that be illegal in El Salvador's eyes?
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

Airstud

Fri May 03, 2013 4:22 am

I can barely even think of anything to say here... (there's only so much I could get out of that article with my high school Spanish)

This can't be the first time in El Salvador that there's been a genuinely life-saving medical need to end a pregnancy? I wonder what sort of court rulings there have been, either there or in other countries with stringent anti-abortion laws.
Pancakes are delicious.

AR385
Topic Author

Fri May 03, 2013 3:04 pm

Quoting Jetsgo (Reply 1):
Can she go somewhere else, have the abortion, and return? Or would that be illegal in El Salvador's eyes?

I don´t think she has the means to do that, and she would have to travel pretty far, not just to a neighboring country. I also don´t believe she can move much.

I don´t know if even though she were able to do it, she would be arrested coming back. Probably.

If this woman dies it would not be a natural death, it would be a crime.

OA260

Fri May 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Similar case here in Ireland and its been in the press for months. The case has been a mark on the country and its shameful.

Pregnant woman died after hospital denied abortion

Three separate investigations are under way into the death which happened in Galway University Hospital.

The 31-year-old married woman, Savita Halappanavar, is understood to have died from blood poisoning.

Mrs Halappanavar, who was 17 weeks' pregnant, lived in Roscam in Galway city with her husband, 34-year-old Praveen, an engineer with Boston Scientific.

The case immediately re-opened the debate over the right to an abortion where the life of the mother is in danger.

Local Labour TD Derek Nolan said he was “very concerned” by reports the family was told an abortion would not be allowed because Ireland was a “Catholic country”.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...ital-denied-abortion-28901352.html

Airstud

Wed May 15, 2013 7:00 am

From what I can find out, the Salvadoran high court is still dragging its heels on this.

I urge everyone here to join the online petition The link also shows a postal address in El Salvador, I recommend using that one instead, as physical mail is tougher to ignore; can't be wiped out with a simple click.
Pancakes are delicious.