2707200X
Topic Author

Removing An Unsolicited Program From Computer

Thu May 09, 2013 11:59 pm

Once in a while I pick up a program that I did not select or solicit online, usually I have no problem removing a program when I go to home / control panel / uninstall a program on my PC. Yesterday and today when I tried to uninstall a toolbar from Whitesmoke I went to (uninstall a program) but I could not find the program that I was trying to uninstall and I looked everywhere else on (control panel) and it was not there. What should I do next to uninstall Whitesmoke?
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

cmf

RE: Removing An Unsolicited Program From Computer

Fri May 10, 2013 12:40 am

Do a system restore to before whatever program you installed that gave you Whitesmoke. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...7/products/features/system-restore
Don’t repeat earlier generations mistakes. Learn history for a better future.

RussianJet

Fri May 10, 2013 1:03 am

And - pay more attention to the crap you put on your computer. I don't mean to sound harsh, but the fact is you have to know exactly what you're putting on your computer, and why. You need to properly read through all of the install steps for pretty much anything.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

nickh

Sat May 11, 2013 1:55 am

Instead of going to Add/Remove Programs (Uninstall Programs) -- the issue that you seem to be having may be that the application that has been installed, is actually a browser Plug-In or Add-In.

If you are running IE (Internet Explorer), Firefox or other such web browser, go to the "Manage Plugins" menu, wherever it is located in your web browser, and select to remove the plug-in.

That should un-install it.

-Nick
"We all have wings, but some of us don't know why..."

varigb707

Sun May 19, 2013 2:52 pm

install REVO UNINSTALL and remove the unwanted stuff.
First, I said 'hey' and then I said 'now'. "Hey Now!" - Hank K.

Jyang772

Sun May 19, 2013 9:37 pm

I use EasyCleaner to remove unwanted programs from my computer.

iowaman

Mon May 20, 2013 2:56 am

Another idea is to go into your hard drive (probably the C: drive) by going to start/windows icon, Computer, and open the drive. Then once the drive is open, go to program files, and see if there is a folder in there for that toolbar. If there is, delete it, and then empty the recycle bin as well.