flymia
Topic Author

Oklahoma Tornadoes

Mon May 20, 2013 8:57 pm

Pictures coming in from Helicopters of the damage from a massive 1.5 mile wide tornado hitting the outskirts of Oklahoma City. Parts of neighborhoods are destroyed, nothing left. Two schools have been completely destroyed. Terrible pictures, hopefully casualties won't be too high but it sure does look horrible. One of the worst if not the worst tornado scenes I have ever seen.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/20/us/severe-weather/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

[Edited 2013-05-20 13:59:18]
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Okie

RE: Oklahoma Tornadoes

Mon May 20, 2013 9:12 pm

About 4 miles south of me.
Serious concern here since house was leveled in the May 3 1999 tornado. It started out on similar path but turned to an eastward movement.
Massive hail here sounded like elephants were dancing on roof.

From all the local tv channel feeds it appears to have only been about a 1/2 mile wide.
Massive pile of vehicles on I-35 that were caught in the storm.

Back later

Okie

flymia
Topic Author

Mon May 20, 2013 9:19 pm

Quoting okie (Reply 1):
Massive pile of vehicles on I-35 that were caught in the storm.

Videos of cars all over the place and buildings just gone. Crazy. Reminds me of Hurricane Andrew in 1992.

Quoting okie (Reply 1):
From all the local tv channel feeds it appears to have only been about a 1/2 mile wide.

National TV is saying 1.5 miles to 2 miles.

Another large tornado is on the ground near by. Stay Safe.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

nkops

Mon May 20, 2013 9:20 pm

My parents are in Broken Arrow, so watching closely...... prayers to all affected
:evil:

Okie

Mon May 20, 2013 9:28 pm

Quoting flymia (Reply 2):
National TV is saying 1.5 miles to 2 miles

I think they are talking debris field an minor damage, the actual scouring of the ground and total destruction looks to be only
1/2 mile wide but I will monitor and get back. An F4 for sure maybe an F5
The tornado was on the ground for 12 to 14 miles it appears at this point.

The area that was hit was pretty high density suburban housing and multiple deaths are being reported but no actual count at this point.

Okie

lewis

Mon May 20, 2013 9:28 pm

The photos and footage I have seen so far is horrible. Hope this ends soon for everyone affected!

I never understood why communities that are continuously hit by tornadoes do not build with stronger materials such as stone or cement. It may be more expensive but it lasts longer and does not require building again and again and again in such cases.

Okie

Mon May 20, 2013 9:37 pm

Quoting lewis (Reply 5):
It may be more expensive but it lasts longer and does not require building again and again and again in such cases.

An F5 is 300+ mph. Just a little over the top to build structures to that kind of rotating wind load.

Several tornado's are still east of the OKC area but out in rural areas with smaller communities.

Okie

LONGisland89

Mon May 20, 2013 9:45 pm

The devastation is just overwhelming. I left OKC three days ago, wish I was there right now.

LoneStarMike

Mon May 20, 2013 9:58 pm

I'm very worried about some of these school children that were still at school being sheltered in place until the storm passed. I've been watching the local coverage on KFOR and they are reporting that one school (Plaza Towers Elementary School) was pretty much destroyed. One of the rescue personnel on the scene has told a news reporter that there were at least 75 children & teachers in the hallway (which was the safe place for them to be) but the hallway is just gone and they are trying to search for all these children underneath this pile of rubble. So far, they've only found one student and one teacher who have both survived. They're still looking for the rest of the children and no deaths have been reported, yet.

The other scenes of the destruction (both from the air and on the ground) are simply unbelievable. Oklahoma City just can't catch a break this week.

I hope and pray that the death toll isn't too great, but it sure looks bad right now.

LoneStarMike

[Edited 2013-05-20 15:00:47]

Aesma

Mon May 20, 2013 10:28 pm

Quoting okie (Reply 6):
An F5 is 300+ mph. Just a little over the top to build structures to that kind of rotating wind load.

What would it take ? I don't know much about tornadoes as they're unheard of here (well, statistically they happen, but nothing that makes the news), but I've read that above ground shelters are made of cinder blocks, rebar, and cement. My home is made with those from basement to (flat) roof. I can see windows being shattered and maybe even the roof damaged but I don't see the home being leveled.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

cainanuk

Mon May 20, 2013 10:31 pm

Looks like a school has been leveled according to CNN. Apparently 45 children unaccounted for. They were sheltering in an internal hallway, which was deemed to be their "safe-place"... There is no such thing as a safe place from an F5. Regardless of your religious persuasion, pray to whoever you believe in. They need all the help they can get.
Cainan Cornelius

rfields5421

Mon May 20, 2013 11:10 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 9):
What would it take ? I don't know much about tornadoes as they're unheard of here (well, statistically they happen, but nothing that makes the news), but I've read that above ground shelters are made of cinder blocks, rebar, and cement. My home is made with those from basement to (flat) roof. I can see windows being shattered and maybe even the roof damaged but I don't see the home being leveled.

The EF-5 tornado at Jerrel Texas pulled every single thing off the foundation of homes, including pulling parts of some of the foundations up. It removed every plumbing fixture, breaking all the pipes off at the slab.

The tornado pulled asphalt off the roadway.

Homes are built across the Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas region (and I presume the other tornado states) with tornado rooms - a box surrounded by 3/8 thick steel and poured rebar concrete. (Normally a interior closet with an air seal door with at least one vertical and two horizontal 3/4 inch steel locking bolts - full width like a bank vault.

Those are not guaranteed for an EF-5.

The rooms you describe are normally rated for EF-3 or low EF-4. They have to be interior rooms so that the exterior of the house will provide some deceleration of debris.

Cinderblocks for commercial buildings are very common, with rebar and poured concrete between the blocks, and there are many destroyed down to the slab in this part of the country every year.

During an EF-4 or 5 tornado - exterior walls of almost any type will not survive because of impact damage from debris being thrown into the walls at 250-300 mph.

Even if your exterior walls survived - it is likely the roof would be lifted off, even a concrete slab roof can be lifted by tornados of that intensity. Any interior walls which are not built to the same standard as the exterior walls will be destroyed/ removed by such a storm. You might have the exterior walls survive - but the cost of rebuilding the interior would likely be higher than a complete teardown and rebuild.

777222LR

Mon May 20, 2013 11:47 pm

Meteorologists are reporting that this is the most destructive Tornado in this history of the world. This is 3 times the destruction of the May 3, 1999 tornado that went through the same area. This is terrible. The damage is terrible. The thing about this one is it came up SO fast. I literally just pulled my car into an underground parking garage because it looked like rain, got back to my office, and sirens went off. I was North of it. Had I been a few miles south, I might not be here. Terrible day for my fellow Oklahomans.

Okie

Tue May 21, 2013 12:25 am

Quoting cainanuk (Reply 10):
Apparently 45 children unaccounted for

What they are saying, not saying seems to shift but the last I caught on a local channel was there were dozens of fatalities at the school. Very very sad.

Quoting 777222LR (Reply 12):
This is 3 times the destruction of the May 3, 1999 tornado that went through the same area. This is terrible

I do not know a figure this early but will say property wise it could be as that area was pretty densely populated.

I can still hear many emergency vehicles moving about south of me so I can assume they are rescuing a large quantity of injured. The other major issue is that there is always a lot of nails/screws that end up on the roadways from the tornado destroying buildings which incapacitates emergency equipment when they get flat tires.

They have diverted the I-35 traffic to a 4 lane road that is my normal access and it is jammed up completely. It has trouble with normal traffic much less adding the interstate traffic as well.

Not a good day

Okie

LoneStarMike

Tue May 21, 2013 12:34 am

MSNBC just reported that the Oklahoma Medical Examiner has confirmed 37 dead. Also, at the elementary school the search and rescue effort has turned into a search and recovery effort and it is believed that about 2 dozen children from grades K-3 have been killed. I'm don't think any of the children from the elementary school are included in the 37 already confirmed dead.

A very sad day for Oklahoma.

LoneStarMike

ltbewr

Tue May 21, 2013 12:38 am

As of about 8 PM, 37 dead. Probably 100's missing, especially at schools. A path of destruction that is far worse than the 1999 near OKC. Some are suggesting an 'F-6' or well beyond the top of the scale F-5, possibly the most powerful recorded tornado outbreak in recorded history. The town of Moore pretty much wiped out.

For the schools, the problem would be sending children to homes that don't have proper shelter or would have been in the path of the worst of the storm. Truly a devils choice.

Let us pray for a low loss of life.

jetmatt777
Crew

Tue May 21, 2013 12:58 am

I was chasing the cell that hit Moore.

From this image, I was 1.5 miles to the SE of it paralleling the storm.

The tornado in this picture was approx 2 miles from Moore here, by the time we had gotten to Moore, it was huge. I could hear and feel the tornado from a mile away at that point. Have never seen one that large and to sit back and watch it mow through the city was truly heartbreaking.

Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

Tankereng

Tue May 21, 2013 1:02 am

Was working at Tinker when the storm started. Coworkers and I streamed the local news, and watched the tornado form and watched its trail of devastation. Power was knocked out in the building so we switched to streaming on my iPhone. The twister dissipated near Lake Stanley Draper, which is about 7 miles south of Tinker.

Command center was set up at the Warren Movie Theatre, which was hit by the tornado. A 7 Eleven just north of the theatre was leveled, and 4 people lost their lives. I was just down there at the Warren on Saturday. Seeing the area leveled is surreal.

One of my coworker's house was basically in the path of the tornado, his wife and little girl were in the house. I don't know if the house was directly hit or if the tornado passed to the north or south, but I am praying for him and his family and for all those affected.

alberchico

Tue May 21, 2013 1:22 am

short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

rfields5421

Tue May 21, 2013 1:26 am

Current estimates just broadcast live at 2025 CDT (0125 UTC) is

The Oklahoma State Medical Examiner has confirmed 51 dead.

That number supposedly includes 7 students at one elementary school.

The death toll is almost certain to rise as rescuers go through the wreckage tonight and tomorrow.

[Edited 2013-05-20 18:30:42]

rfields5421

Tue May 21, 2013 1:34 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 9):
What would it take ?

Here are some notes on the Jerrel destruction

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_Ce...ornado_outbreak#F5_Jarrell_tornado

This tornado in Moore OK is significantly more destructive - both because of the tornado size, and the higher structure buildup and population in the area hit.

ER757

Tue May 21, 2013 1:44 am

One of the news channels (CNN or Fox, was switching between them so don't know which one) had a video shot from the air of the storm starting from early formation as the funnel was just coming out of the cloud and it was horrifying to watch how this slender little funnel grew into a huge beast - it just kept getting larger and larger as it moved across the ground. The scenes of devastation are hard to believe - a terrible tragedy for the folks in its path. Praying that many of the missing have survived.

ouboy79

Tue May 21, 2013 3:06 am

This was just an incredible storm. It initiated as 3 separate supercells, but the southernmost cell became the dominant cell tonight. Rotation with it was pretty disorganized at first and then it just wrapped up over Newcastle before crossing the Canadian River. Moving through SW OKC into Moore just brought memories of what's take a similar path. The one getting the most publicity is the May 3rd 1999 F5, but the May 8th 2003 F4 and the May 24th 2011 EF4 all took similar paths. Just incredible and you have to feel for the folks of Moore, South OKC and other impacted South Metro communities.

Quoting lewis (Reply 5):
I never understood why communities that are continuously hit by tornadoes do not build with stronger materials such as stone or cement. It may be more expensive but it lasts longer and does not require building again and again and again in such cases.

Many new construction homes have underground shelters or safe rooms. However, it is hard to really handle what looks like will be an EF5 that was moving only at 10 mph at points and exposing people to 200+ mph winds for over a minute.

Meteorologists are reporting that this is the most destructive Tornado in this history of the world. This is 3 times the destruction of the May 3, 1999 tornado that went through the same area. This is terrible. The damage is terrible. The thing about this one is it came up SO fast. I literally just pulled my car into an underground parking garage because it looked like rain, got back to my office, and sirens went off. I was North of it. Had I been a few miles south, I might not be here. Terrible day for my fellow Oklahomans.

We'll have to see. May 3rd was around $1 billion in damages. This one had a good lead time on it still, people just need to pay attention on higher risk days. However, there are some things you can just not prepare for.

Some clips from today including a few pics I took...

Zoomed in image. This is using GRLevel2AE...
http://www.weatherspotlight.com/screencap/may13/20-8.png

Moving through eastern parts of Moore still rotating violently. At this position debris was raining down everywhere, which you can kinda see the discoloration to the road. The debris was insulation, siding, sheet metal, wood, and organic materials.

http://www.weatherspotlight.com/screencap/may20th/may20-1.jpg

This is the tornado as it starts to spin down some. It is still very violent here moving through far eastern Moore and SE OKC.

http://www.weatherspotlight.com/screencap/may20th/may20-2.jpg

flymia
Topic Author

Tue May 21, 2013 4:04 am

Just horrible this storm was. 51 confirmed dead. Reports are that 20 are children but that is unconfirmed. Total numbers of those lost are expected to rise. Wishing the best too everyone in Oklahoma.

Down here in Florida people always ask if hurricanes are scary and how it must be something to live in a place where hurricanes hit often. But really hurricanes are not that bad when you have storms like the one today. We get days of advance notice. These people had less than an hour and even then there is no idea where it would actually hit. Just horrible news and pictures coming from there.

To those Anet members in the area, thanks for the updates, hope all you guys are doing alright.

[Edited 2013-05-20 21:13:38]

777222LR

Tue May 21, 2013 4:10 am

I think all of us OKC area a.netters are accounted for...... Still alive and kickin'.

BMI727

Tue May 21, 2013 4:10 am

Quoting lewis (Reply 5):

There isn't much short of a full blown bunker that will stand up to a tornado like that.

Many places are built out of brick or stone, many houses have basements, and other public places have a tornado shelter or at least a strongly built room for people to take shelter.

Living in the midwest means playing Russian roulette with the weather, it's just how it is. It's not like other places aren't vulnerable to natural disasters too. (The people who settled St. Louis sure could pick em though)
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

seb146

Tue May 21, 2013 4:11 am

I have family in Topeka and Kansas City. Not close to these storms, but I understand what you all are going through.

Listening to the reports today, I am wondering where else in the world are there storms like this? There probably would not be this level of damage, but are there any other places in the world that have 2 mile wide tornadoes? Or any tornadoes at all? We had an F-0 two years ago here in STS. Took the roof off a family owned lumber store. Oregon gets F-0 to F-2 from time to time.
Life in the wall is a drag.

Cactus739

Tue May 21, 2013 4:22 am

I live in Bentonville Arkansas about 200 miles or so from OKC... that storm came through here around 7pm... we didn't get any tornadoes touch down where I am (not sure if we got any) Right before the storm came through my cell started blowing up with alerts from the weather channel and the Benton County alert system and then seconds later the tornado sirens went off. It was by far the nastiest storm I've ever seen... winds were toppling umbrellas and splitting big trees at the Lowe's across the street. Hail and rain so hard couldn't even see out the windows.

My heart goes out to all those in OKC... that's such a tragic loss of life...  
Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 11):
Homes are built across the Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas region (and I presume the other tornado states) with tornado rooms - a box surrounded by 3/8 thick steel and poured rebar concrete. (Normally a interior closet with an air seal door with at least one vertical and two horizontal 3/4 inch steel locking bolts - full width like a bank vault.

Something I've seen popping up more and more around here are under garage floor tornado shelters. I live in a new neighborhood and the house at the end of our street was just finished and people moved in last week. I noticed the other day that they were already getting one of those shelters dug in.. wonder if it's done yet.
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

Boeing717200

Tue May 21, 2013 4:31 am

Meteorologists are reporting that this is the most destructive Tornado in this history of the world.

They might want to check with history on that...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tornado_records

[Edited 2013-05-20 21:34:14]

Type-Rated

Tue May 21, 2013 4:34 am

One of the reasons "tornado alley" in the U.S. has such strong storms is the geography. Much of the land is perfectly flat and provides for little interference with wind patterns. Then we get a mixture of warm humid air coming in from the Gulf of Mexico combining with low pressure areas. Just add the jetstream to this mix and you'll have rotating winds. Depending on how high the cloud tops are and the strength of the jetstream determines how strong a tornado will be. It's this unique combination that results in tornadoes being most common in the central U.S.

This morning lots of weather forecasters thought today was going to be a rough one in tornado alley today. The storm that created this horrific tornado just sort of popped up from nowhere. A major line of thunderstorm activity had gone through the area earlier that afternoon without damage.

Holding onto hope for people in the stricken area.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

flymia
Topic Author

Tue May 21, 2013 4:54 am

CNN is now confirming the fatalities up to 91. Oklahoma Medical Examineer thinks it will go up more. Terrible news.

AR385

Tue May 21, 2013 5:55 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 26):
I am wondering where else in the world are there storms like this? There probably would not be this level of damage, but are there any other places in the world that have 2 mile wide tornadoes?

I know that they have them in Australia and are pretty intense. They have also have them in Argentina. One destroyed 2 steel warehouse in our ranch a few years ago here in Northeastern Mexico. If you look, you can still find pieces of steel. They are not that rare. It´s just that in the US they tend to strike near populated areas and receive much more coverage, naturally.

N766UA

Tue May 21, 2013 7:50 am

I don't get it. I spent 3 weeks in Oklahoma City last year. I found it to be dusty, windy, and generally quite boring (you can only go to bricktown so many times). That said, I get that if you were born there, you probably have a different view of things, and home is home, so I'm not trying to blast anyone for that. On top of that, I get that there are other factors that keep people there: family, friends, jobs, low cost of living, a good economy, whatever.

But then you have to deal with this?! And it's not like this only happens once every 50 years, there's been 4 or 5 significant tornadoes in the last decade or so JUST in this one suburb! Why does anyone stay there?! How could anything be worth the very real risk of having your entire town obliterated in such a terrifying way?? This time it's Moore, next year it's just as easily Bethany or Yukon or… pick one! The city I spent weeks of my life in could just be gone one day!

I love thunderstorms. I look forward to them in the summer, they're fun to watch and they're great background noise when you're trying to go to sleep. When I was in Oklahoma, every single one scared me so much I couldn't even stay in bed anymore, especially if it was late at night. I had to get up and pace around the apartment, always looking out the window, just waiting for those awful air-raid sirens to go off. Maybe I'm just some pussy east-coaster, but I seriously just don't get it. Colorado isn't that far away, Indiana's cheap… can someone explain their viewpoint to me?
This Website Censors Me

BMI727

Tue May 21, 2013 8:01 am

Quoting N766UA (Reply 32):
Colorado isn't that far away, Indiana's cheap%u2026 can someone explain their viewpoint to me?

Colorado weather isn't so great either, and tornadoes are an issue all over the midwest. Pretty much everywhere from Texas to Nebraska to Arkansas is going to get hit at some point.

Everybody in Florida has a hurricane story, everybody in California has an earthquake story, and everybody in the midwest has a tornado story.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Type-Rated

Tue May 21, 2013 8:54 am

For a lot of people, home is where you hang your hat. If course others as you pointed out, stay because their families are there and a lot of people just want to stay in the same area their families live in.

Oklahoma City also has quite a number of offices/locations of the Federal Aviation Administration. On the map it looks like one of their buildings was very close to the tornado path.

Plus it's the state capital with offices connected with that function. The oil industry is also very large in the area.

So there are many reasons why people may want to stay in the area.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

windy95

Tue May 21, 2013 11:51 am

Okie

Tue May 21, 2013 12:04 pm

Quoting windy95 (Reply 35):
And the left already trying to capitalize on the tragedy. Unbelievable

The Whitehouse has flown in the MSDNC propaganda anchors in the middle of the night and are broadcasting live from the area.

I just checked in on their commentary and you are correct. Never let a good crisis go to waste.

Okie

777222LR

Tue May 21, 2013 12:16 pm

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 28):
They might want to check with history on that...

What you listed is not a single event, it's an outbreak of many tornados. This was a single event, single, powerful EF4 or EF5 tornado. Also, even the one with the 695 dead, is not what we are talking about here. The amount of damage and the power of this storm is much more than that previous tornado. The amount of property destroyed is more. This storm is just 'more' of everything.

That said, death toll reaches 91 as of this morning.

Edit: That death toll has not yet been confirmed by medical examiner. Local news station reporting that number this morning. Though, I'm pretty sure that toll will be exceeded.

[Edited 2013-05-21 05:29:16]

[Edited 2013-05-21 05:31:44]

rfields5421

Tue May 21, 2013 12:39 pm

Why does anyone stay there?!

Economics and family are big reasons.

Many people simply cannot afford to leave their well paying jobs and move. Many people won't abandon their extended family.

Unfortunately, the economics of the insurance industry can force the owner of a destroyed home rebuild on the same property. Many people still owe money on that home, and cannot sell the newly rebuilt home for enough to pay off the mortage and move flat broke to start over.

Flood insurance can work the same way, though the federal government is making changes to rebuild the new home outside the flood zone.

Quoting cactus739 (Reply 27):
Something I've seen popping up more and more around here are under garage floor tornado shelters.

Haven't seen those. Builders in the Dallas area have an aversion to any type basement structure.

The key is that for new builds - there are tornado shelter options - but most people don't spend the $15-25 thousand extra for that protection.

There are also options available for that price range for post build shelters buried in the back yards.

Boeing717200

Tue May 21, 2013 12:40 pm

Quoting 777222LR (Reply 37):

Oh, I see property damage is more important than lives?

Quote:
The deadliest tornado in world history was the Daulatpur-Salturia Tornado in Bangladesh on April 26, 1989, which killed approximately 1,300 people.[3] Bangladesh has had at least 19 tornadoes in its history kill more than 100 people, almost half of the total for the rest of the world.
Quoting windy95 (Reply 35):

That took about 5 minutes. What a bunch of clowns.

[Edited 2013-05-21 05:44:53]

AviRaider

Tue May 21, 2013 12:49 pm

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 38):
Haven't seen those. Builders in the Dallas area have an aversion to any type basement structure.

Isn't that the truth! You look at any older home and most have some type of storm shelter or a basement. But every new build home I've seen never has a basement, and occassionaly you might see a shelter room. I guess they are keeping it up to the homeowner. But, I've seen new build homes outside of the metroplex that has storm shelters. So what is it about the suburban builders? I imagine costs versus risks.

pvjin

Tue May 21, 2013 1:32 pm

According to Finnish news website the dead were miscount by accident, they say the real number of bodies found is 24 according to some official investigating this. Of course then there are probably many still missing...

The amount of destruction these natural events can cause is just amazing.

[Edited 2013-05-21 06:37:21]
"Optimism is the madness of insisting that all is well when we are miserable." - Voltaire

us330

Tue May 21, 2013 1:38 pm

And it's not like this only happens once every 50 years, there's been 4 or 5 significant tornadoes in the last decade or so JUST in this one suburb! Why does anyone stay there?! How could anything be worth the very real risk of having your entire town obliterated in such a terrifying way??
aybe I'm just some pussy east-coaster, but I seriously just don't get it

I hate to bring back bad memories, but when Sandy struck, the East Coast/Northeast was actually overdue for a hurricane of that size and force.

There are also other areas of this country which are statistically overdue for a major natural disaster.

Builders in the Dallas area have an aversion to any type basement structure.
Quoting AviRaider (Reply 40):
You look at any older home and most have some type of storm shelter or a basement. But every new build home I've seen never has a basement, and occassionaly you might see a shelter room

Not in Dallas--even older buildings don't have a basement structure. The reason relates to the type of soil underlying the Metroplex--Dallas sits on a layer of clay, making basement and cellar construction extremely cost prohibitive. It's not a question of merely trying to be cheap--the cost is significant enough to deter even the wealthiest of Dallas residents from building underground structures.

Venus6971

Tue May 21, 2013 1:42 pm

Used to live in Moore until 2002, my house that I sold is now gone which I rode out the May 3rd 1999 F5. Working out at KOKC I was forced to find shelter 3 different times. This tornado got ugly fast as soon as it crossed I44 at 149th street and it was at the height of rush hour so we had people on the roads and kids just letting out of school. May 3rd we had warning because it was on the ground so long to get out the way, this one formed so quick near the metro and built up so much energy real quick so if you were not underground you were going to get hurt. We have the unfortunate location of being right on the front lines of a cold front from the Rockies and a warm humid air from the Gulf of Mexico. Dallas metro area also got slammed last week.
I would help you but it is not in the contract

fr8mech

Tue May 21, 2013 1:52 pm

Wow, just really unbelievable...but, it's happened. Let's give the folks time to grieve and come to terms with what has happened (yes, I'm looking at you media and "how do you feel" questions).

Many of us are going to decide we're going to donate something to help these folks. May I suggest that people don't send your old clothes, socks, shoes or that can of tomato sauce that's been sitting in the back of the cupboard. While they will need that kind of stuff, a mass of property donations will quickly overwhelm any relief organization trying to help these folks.

Donate money. Donate to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief. Or, wait until a verified, bona fide fund is set up to help these folks. Heck, find out where the local churches are and donate directly to them and earmark the money for relief. You know that the churches will wade hip deep into this mess.

Next: I'm making an appeal to that person that won the $600,000,000 Power Ball jackpot. See to your needs. See to your family's needs. See to your friends' and neighbors' needs, if that's your thing. See to you community's needs, if you are so inclined. But, I ask you, look to Moore, OK and see if you can help.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

Okie

Tue May 21, 2013 2:09 pm

Unfortunately, the economics of the insurance industry can force the owner of a destroyed home rebuild on the same property. Many people still owe money on that home, and cannot sell the newly rebuilt home for enough to pay off the mortgage and move flat broke to start over.

Not sure what you are trying to say here. Housing prices did not fall here although they have been stagnated with little appreciation for the last 4-5 years.

There are too many scenarios to mention but from my experience after the May 3rd
Many will settle with the insurance company, pay off the mortgage and buy an existing home and sell the lot vs waiting for the rebuild time living in an apartment or rental property.

There were a few with paid off mortgages that dropped their insurance and basically had to start over.

There were a few that were "living on the edge" that had second and third mortgages over the value of their home and used the insurance settlement to pay off their mortgages and had to start over.

There was one insurance company which was famous in the Katrina Hurricane for non settlement that had not settled with their clients 10 years after the tornado.

In my area I would say only a third of the original property owners moved back to the neighborhood, most just bought existing properties and moved on, what 13 years later the last couple of the lots are being built.

I was just a shade over 2 years to get this home rebuilt, settling with the insurance company, clearing the lot, deciding course of action to take, pick out a new house plan and find a builder that could work you into the schedule because of the rebuild demand.

Okie

cptkrell

Tue May 21, 2013 2:45 pm

I guess I have a difficult time understanding why folks living in tornado-prone areas don't build homes with an underground shelter or if moving into an exsisting home, don't install an underground shelter in the back yard. Digging a, say, 8X8X8-foot hole ain't going to break your pocketbook, and if it IS going to a burden, finance the damn thing with a home loan. A lot, lot cheaper in the long run comparing to what these unfortunate souls are having to deal with now.

When I designed our new home a priority was an underground shelter in the corner of the garage as some folks have mentioned in this topic. It's not really complex thinking, just common sense IMHO. That there wouldn't be shelters in schools, for instance, also defies logic unless soils or such would absolutely prohibit said construction.. best regards...jack
all best; jack

PHX787

Tue May 21, 2013 3:10 pm

Its very odd that for the majority of its life, it followed the path of the 1999 storm which set many records. Also that 1999 storm set the standard for the "tornado emergency" text usage, which was used again the other day this time. Saved lives for sure, but still sad that 91+ deaths occurred.

straying off topic, I believe if Joplin had a tornado emergency issued for them, maybe the residents would've taken heed sooner.....
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

casinterest

Tue May 21, 2013 3:23 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 41):
they say the real number of bodies found is 24 according to some official investigating this

this appears to be the current official number. I hope it does not climb any higher.

All you folks out there in North East Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Missouri keep an eye on the weather today. There is a chance for more severe storms with hail, strong winds, and possibly more tornadoes

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/Jef...Masters/comment.html?entrynum=2412
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

ouboy79

Tue May 21, 2013 3:40 pm

Quoting cptkrell (Reply 46):
I guess I have a difficult time understanding why folks living in tornado-prone areas don't build homes with an underground shelter or if moving into an exsisting home, don't install an underground shelter in the back yard. Digging a, say, 8X8X8-foot hole ain't going to break your pocketbook, and if it IS going to a burden, finance the damn thing with a home loan. A lot, lot cheaper in the long run comparing to what these unfortunate souls are having to deal with now.

Every year we seem to have grants brought out for people to get shelters involved. There is one that was awarded to Cleveland County well over a year ago now (maybe 2), but is being held up on the money actually being released. So you'll see people actually wait for the grant money to install because it can't be received once the shelter is in.

Most shelters are going to run $1500 to $3000, maybe upwards of $12k, depending on what you get. Underground is going to be lower cost in most cases, higher end is going to be the safe rooms that are mostly retrofits.

With that all said, we'll probably see a massive influx of grant money again for the impacted cities and countries that hopefully will be managed well and dispersed quickly.