FJWH
Topic Author

Spain Prepaid Internet

Sun May 26, 2013 9:02 am

Hey all,

In june and july i will be spending some weeks in Spain (Canary islands, Tenerife) and I need/ want to stay connected!
So the best option I think is to get my self a spanish number, with internet possibilities (Prepaid).

Some of you got some tips where to go to/what to choose? I have an Iphone 5, so nanosimcard would be preferable!

Thanks, FJWH
FlightS in the next 3 months: MSP, PHX, MEM, NCE, TFS, BCN. All round trips from AMS

OA260

RE: Spain Prepaid Internet

Sun May 26, 2013 9:57 am

Vodafone Spain offer various SIM only prepaid options.

If you want also to make International calls they offer an International SIM .

EU calls 1.2c per min and EU mobile calls 11c per minute. One days Web 150MB allowance EUR4 a day. That would do for non heavy usage ie: emails / iMessage ,basic browsing but not for TV/Youtube etc..

They also do a stand alone data packages.

If you just want mostly data look at ''Smart 16''

Prepayment Rate Smart 16:

Now with 1.5 GB!

Now your rate Smart 16 has many more MB.

Enjoy for only € 16 (€ 19.36 with VAT) for 30 days:

Unlimited calls and texts to all Vodafone yu:

1.5 GB full speed

100 minutes to talk to anyone, anytime, anywhere

Maybe best to visit a VF store and ask them to set it up. You buy a top up card for EUR20 and then buy the plan by dialling * 505 * 23 #

Im sure there are many other companies offering rates but Im only aware of the VF one in terms of products etc...

hawaiian717

Sun May 26, 2013 4:34 pm

I've found the "Pay as you go SIM with data" wiki useful in the past. They break down the options by country. Here is the page for Spain: http://prepaidwithdata.wikia.com/wiki/Spain

DocLightning

Sun May 26, 2013 6:07 pm

I always just get a local SIM wherever I go. You can keep your home sim for use when you get there, but then you'll have a Spanish mobile that others can call. You said it was "some weeks."

So that cute girl at the bar... You'd like to give her your number, right? Sucks that it's a Dutch number. Wouldn't it be nice if you had a Spanish number? That's the sort of reason why you get a Spanish SIM.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

OA260

Sun May 26, 2013 6:13 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 3):
So that cute girl at the bar... You'd like to give her your number, right? Sucks that it's a Dutch number. Wouldn't it be nice if you had a Spanish number? That's the sort of reason why you get a Spanish SIM.

June/July in the Canaries ? lol..... more likely to need a Western European SIM    

DocLightning

Sun May 26, 2013 8:30 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 4):
June/July in the Canaries ? lol..... more likely to need a Western European SIM

Good point...  
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Stratofish

Mon May 27, 2013 10:42 am

Quoting hawaiian717 (Reply 2):

Also keep in mind that as a foreigner in Spain you need to have a passport to be able to obtain a Spanish SIM. A normal ID card or drivers license will not be enough.

I went with Orange because they are cheap and ok within the limits of larger cities. They offer poor reception in rural areas though, so emergency calls while hiking may be a problem with them.
The Metro might be the Sub(optimal)way

FJWH
Topic Author

Mon May 27, 2013 12:02 pm

Thank you guys!!

Thanks for your help!

FJWH  
FlightS in the next 3 months: MSP, PHX, MEM, NCE, TFS, BCN. All round trips from AMS

Aesma

Mon May 27, 2013 1:36 pm

Quoting Stratofish (Reply 6):
Also keep in mind that as a foreigner in Spain you need to have a passport to be able to obtain a Spanish SIM. A normal ID card or drivers license will not be enough.

Do you mean as a non EU citizen/because US drivers licenses are "crappy" ID ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Stratofish

Mon May 27, 2013 10:53 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 8):
Do you mean as a non EU citizen/because US drivers licenses are "crappy" ID ?

No, even I as a EU citizen needed a proper passport as they would not accept my national ID card. Even though one could argue European IDs are more "official" and more difficult to fake than the usual US drivers licenses (some exceptions apply here, Italy being the first that comes to mind) I did not mean it in disregard to them in particular. Just mentioned them because most here are from the US and might likely come into that kind of situation   (Well, on second thought, if they travel to Spain they will most likely have a passport.)

Why, I do not know, but I guess it has something to do with 11M. It's a Spanish residency card or a passport that you need to obtain a SIM. Luckily I did have my passport with me because I like having two documents in case one gets stolen.

Quoting FJWH (Reply 7):

Although off topic. Go get out and rent a car for a few days! In the Canaries being able to drive up along some off the beaten trail tracks in daytime is worth every penny! You can hang out with the "usual suspects" at night anyway  
The Metro might be the Sub(optimal)way