mham001
Topic Author

I Want My 'back' Button Back!

Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:42 am

Does anybody else notice that websites are refreshing themselves as fast and sometimes faster than you can press the back button? Wired.com is notorious for this and now anet is going the same route. I can read an article at wired and look at my history and there are already 6-7 instances of the same page. Or is just my version of Chrome?

Does anybody know how to stop this? I suspect this is to generate more ad money by claiming more eyes but I really dislike having a basic keyboard function overruled by some site administrator.

Aesma

RE: I Want My 'back' Button Back!

Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:23 am

Some news sites I visit do this, very annoying when they refresh while I'm reading an article. However I've not noticed this with anet, it would surprise me since the design of the site is so "Web 1.0".
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

RussianJet

Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:32 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 1):
Some news sites I visit do this, very annoying when they refresh while I'm reading an article. However I've not noticed this with anet, it would surprise me since the design of the site is so "Web 1.0".

I've also noticed this on some news sites. It's VERY irritating when you're taking your time perusing the front page, only to find that it refreshes the page suddenly and then puts you right back at the top again. Grrrr.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

OA260

Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:02 pm

I hear ya . Very annoying.

northstardc4m

Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:46 pm

It's a hijack method to keep you on the page... it's not a very honest way of making a website, but this is why I open all news articles/links as new tabs anyways.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.