Topic Author

Zimmerman NOT Guilty

Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:02 am

Verdict is in...Let the riots begin

PHX787

RE: Zimmerman NOT Guilty

Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:09 am

That's what I was saying   

Glad Im in Japan right now. I have to seriously comb through Japanese history to find out the last time someone rioted in this country...over anything that wasn't Narita Airport   
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

casinterest

Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:11 am

They should have waited till Sunday Night to report the verdict....
Hopefully everyone remains civil.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

rfields5421

Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:12 am

No real surprise given the lack of real evidence.

luckyone

Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:23 am

Quoting stratosphere (Thread starter):
Let the riots begin

Why riot when you can light up my Facebook feed with your opinion? In the past twenty minutes I've counted over thirty posts regarding the verdict.

sasd209

Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:28 am

Quoting stratosphere (Thread starter):
..Let the riots begin

I really hope not.... surely we are more civilized than that? Hopefully...

flymia

Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:29 am

Really was 50/50 about the outcome. But I believe the lack of real evidence the only correct verdict would be not guilty. The system is made that we would rather have 10 guilty men out free than one innocent man in jail. There is no way anyone not emotionally charged could find him guilty. No way. The Justice system worked today.

Hopefully there will be safe, non-violent protest. Any violence will just make it worse.

Wonder what Zimmermnans plans are. I would head to Canada tomorrow morning if I am him.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

ltbewr

Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:31 am

As I discussed here and elsewhere about this case, no one 'wins' in this case. A young, unarmed, black male is dead. Zimmerman will be a marked man for the rest of his life.

Zimmerman could still face, as with OJ Simpson, a civil liability lawsuit although I suspect Zimmerman has few assets worth getting, if he had any after his legal defense costs, if a money judgment against him to make it worthwhile to go for but for principle.

Like many, I hope there are no violent reactions from those supporting Martin. That would be the absolute worst with more killed and worse racist attitudes toward black males. I also hope those that supported Zimmerman don't take his acquittal as an endorsement of weak gun laws and of the 'stand your ground' laws in public streets.

PHX787

Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:35 am

Quoting luckyone (Reply 6):
Why riot when you can light up my Facebook feed with your opinion? In the past twenty minutes I've counted over thirty posts regarding the verdict.

That's what just happened. I made a post threatening to unfriend anyone who states something overly political....or politically stupid...about this whole thing. I have my own opinion, I made that opinion once, in one short sentence, not in a confronting manner...and left it at that.

Quoting flymia (Reply 8):
Wonder what Zimmermnans plans are. I would head to Canada tomorrow morning if I am him.

Eh I'd tell him to come here. Since he's not guilty, he won't have this on his record, and Japanese people have a rather infamous reputation for not caring much.

stratosphere
Topic Author

Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:38 am

To be honest being this was a Florida jury I am sure they are well aware of the Casey Anthony verdict where the jurors had issues after the trial when they found her non guilty. I figured this was in the states favor they appointed a special prosecutor due to the fallout. I really thought he would get at the very least manslaughter.

LAXintl

Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:41 am

There was no case here.

It was simply a politically inspired prosecution.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

cjg225

Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:42 am

Facebook and Twitter are rather amusing right now.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

futurepilot16

Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:45 am

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 12):

There was no case here.

Wrong, there was a good case to be had against Zimmerman, Prosecutors screwed the pooch on this one.
"The brave don't live forever, but the cautious don't live at all."

Dreadnought

Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:51 am

Quoting futurepilot16 (Reply 14):
Wrong, there was a good case to be had against Zimmerman, Prosecutors screwed the pooch on this one.

They did as good as they could. There was simply no evidence to work with - which vindicates the original police recommendation not to prosecute. "GZ claims self defence. We find no significant evidence to suggest otherwise."
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

windy95

Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:52 am

A politically manipulated case that luckily for GZ had 6 citizens ,that could see through the bullcrap. Listening to the news and the idiots on them still try to push the race issue. What a joke

ATCtower

Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:54 am

Wrong (in part), there was no case against Zimmerman, guilty or not. The evidence was weak at best, the star witness for the prosecution was a flaming imbecile, and the prosecution tried making it a race issue, not a 'kill an unarmed person' issue. Right though the prosecution sure screwed a number of things up.

Unfortunately I am expecting to wake in the morning to news that riots did occur and while I find amusement in that, it only perpetuates the stereotypes that make us feel they will to begin with...

My $.03
By reading the above post you waive all rights to be offended. If you do not like what you read, forget it.

futurepilot16

Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:55 am

Quoting dreadnought (Reply 15):
They did as good as they could. There was simply no evidence to work with - which vindicates the original police recommendation not to prosecute. "GZ claims self defence. We find no significant evidence to suggest otherwise."

I agree, still doesn't change the fact that GZ put himself in the situation that night that ended so badly. I'm a gun owner, i'm pro gun and I still think how he put himself in that situation was wrong just saying...

futurepilot16

Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:58 am

Quoting ATCtower (Reply 17):
Unfortunately I am expecting to wake in the morning to news that riots did occur and while I find amusement in that, it only perpetuates the stereotypes that make us feel they will to begin with...

Oh please what riots? This isn't the 90s so can we please stop with this biased way of thinking? Who is exactly is gonna riot?

flymia

Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:11 am

Actually the prosecutors did a pretty good job. There was no case. Correct verdict was reached.

Quoting futurepilot16 (Reply 18):
I agree, still doesn't change the fact that GZ put himself in the situation that night that ended so badly. I'm a gun owner, i'm pro gun and I still think how he put himself in that situation was wrong just saying...

You just said there was a good case against Zimmerman but than say you agree that there was no evidence. I agree he put himself in a stupid situation. Doesn't mean he should go to jail for 10-30 years.

The system worked.

Facebook is interesting. Besides for one black classmate of mine my law school classmates have remained silent which is probably the right thing to do. The rest of them are going nuts. Which is somewhat expected from people who don't know the system that well.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Ken777

Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:15 am

I believe the lack of real evidence the only correct verdict would be not guilty

Then why did it take a jury 16 hours of discussion/debates? They could have gone home last night after 20 or 30 minutes if things were so clear.

There is no way anyone not emotionally charged could find him guilty.

I'm not emotionally charged about the guy. I believe it is rational to consider him a wanna be cop who couldn't make the grade.

I believe he should have stayed in the car/truck, whatever. Especially as he know the cops were coming.

I believe that his cowboy attitude, puffed up by his gun, led him to follow/stalk a barely 17 year old kid and I believe race had something to do with that.

We know he shot & killed the kid. That makes him a killer, especially to African Americans who have been the subject to abuse and racism. "Not Guilty" means two things: First, he gets to walk out of the courtroom. Second, he gets his gun back with all unspent bullets.

As to his safety, simply no telling. There will be people out there who would have no hesitation getting into it with Zimmerman so that guy needs to stay in hiding from the public. Maybe some work-at-home job with the family kicking in money to keep him sheltered & fed.

I would head to Canada tomorrow morning if I am him.

I doubt that they would want either him or his gun.

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 9):
Like many, I hope there are no violent reactions from those supporting Martin.

I don't believe that there will be violent reactions - for the most part. Local ministers have been working hard to keep things calm.

There will be so reactions - just like in the OJ case.

And, let's face it, Zimmerman is going to move somewhere that is relatively free of African Americans. Dishwasher, working from home, whatever. He needs to be out of sight and not recognized for the rest of his life.

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 12):
There was no case here.

There was a dead kid who confronted the man stalking/following him and ended up being shot.

Martin is dead and that will never change.

Zimmerman is a killer and that will never change.

And the jury did not deliver a verdict in a short enough time to establish that there was no case.

the prosecution tried making it a race issue, not a 'kill an unarmed person' issue.

It was both a race issue and a "kill an unarmed kid" issue. Do you really believe that Zmmerman would have followed/stalked Martin if he had been white & wearing a Polo shirt & loafers?

PHX787

Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:16 am

Quoting futurepilot16 (Reply 19):
Oh please what riots? This isn't the 90s so can we please stop with this biased way of thinking? Who is exactly is gonna riot?

Maybe this is 12 or so years ago, but one guy makes a threatening gesture at a cincinnati cop, who can't tell if he's reaching for a gun or whatever, who opens fire, and the entire city descends to hell for 15 days or so. (April riots in cincinnati, 2001)

Wrong (in part), there was no case against Zimmerman, guilty or not. The evidence was weak at best, the star witness for the prosecution was a flaming imbecile, and the prosecution tried making it a race issue, not a 'kill an unarmed person' issue. Right though the prosecution sure screwed a number of things up.

This. Remember, he wasn't even arrested for 44 days!!!! And that was after so many people were crying and screaming.

This is what pisses me off about the south- people immediately think, since they were the propagators of Jim Crow, they're still racist states. Same happens with Texas and Arizona all the time.

Zimmerman, while having a "white-ish" name, isn't even white!!
I hear about mexicans shooting blacks all the time in Arizona, and vice versa. I've also heard of a Latino guy somewhere who shot a black guy who broke into his house. The Black guy died, and the Latino was not prosecuted.

I mean this was absolute grounds for media, the left-wing twitterverse, and the NAACP for them to unleash their absolute fury.

There's an extended version of my argument and I will no longer comment on my position.

Quoting cjg225 (Reply 13):
Facebook and Twitter are rather amusing right now.

Here in Japan, this isn't even trending. Not one Japanese friend posted about this.

Here is what's trending here:

cjg225

Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:23 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 21):
Here in Japan, this isn't even trending. Not one Japanese friend posted about this.

Here is what's trending here:

Well, it is kind of an American story....

And photos like that one are why I love Japan. lol I saw a hilarious Japanese Domino's commercial earlier today featuring Hatsune Miku. So full of win.

futurepilot16

Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:28 am

Quoting flymia (Reply 20):
Actually the prosecutors did a pretty good job. There was no case. Correct verdict was reached.

Oh you mean Queen Kong aka Martin's GF (or whatever she was) who didn't seem like she had one intelligent thought in her mind...ya THAT was a real winner  

Sarcasm aside, I must say that the defense mopped the floor with the prosecution, not because there was no case, but because of how it was argued. Now i'm not a lawyer or anything, I just feel like the prosecution shot themselves in the foot way too many times.

You just said there was a good case against Zimmerman but than say you agree that there was no evidence. I agree he put himself in a stupid situation. Doesn't mean he should go to jail for 10-30 years.

I agree on the fact that there was a lack of evidence, but I still think there was a case there, even for manslaughter

Mir

Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:39 am

There was simply no evidence to work with - which vindicates the original police recommendation not to prosecute. "GZ claims self defence. We find no significant evidence to suggest otherwise."

And the unfortunate part about that is that the truth is never really known - we never got to hear Martin's side of the story.

Anyway, hopefully this case will persuade some people not to go looking for trouble, trying to play hero/vigilante.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

ATCtower

Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:44 am

Quoting futurepilot16 (Reply 19):

Yeah, since the 1990s are so long ago and the first person on MSNBC commenting on this was his royal idiocy al sharpton (refuse to capitalize his name, sorry) who has a history of promoting blacks to find race issues with EVERYTHING down to the two cent higher price in minority areas of Detroit on produce at a locally run grocery store (look it up, he sued). I normally would think the same, no riots, no way. Except I lived in South Florida and it is a completely different world down there. I fully expect the implications of the verdict to make the news on a large scale.

The system worked.

Right or wrong, that really is the way it needs to be viewed.

It was both a race issue and a "kill an unarmed kid" issue. Do you really believe that Zmmerman would have followed/stalked Martin if he had been white & wearing a Polo shirt & loafers?

I think Zimmerman may be so zealous that he would have. Either way, since we will never know, it is a moot point and in your argument you are inherently perpetuating the issue of it being a race related issue. I know there are some 'good ole boys' who cant let the klan die, and some extremists on all sides, but furthering any issue on race bases sets race relations back. I do realize not everyone can see things the way I do but every time something like this hits the news and DF sharpton gets time on tv, it does not help close the racial divide.

Quoting futurepilot16 (Reply 24):
I agree on the fact that there was a lack of evidence, but I still think there was a case there, even for manslaughter

Saying yourself that you arent a lawyer, you greatly need to explain this. A lack of evidence is a lack of evidence. The burden of proof is the same for murder as manslaughter. If the circumstances warrant a different conviction that is one thing but to say 'lack of evidence, no murder' then say 'lack of evidence, manslaughter' is absurd. It needs to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt no matter the charge, trespassing or aggravated murder.
By reading the above post you waive all rights to be offended. If you do not like what you read, forget it.

DeltaMD90

Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:44 am

I believe he should have stayed in the car/truck, whatever. Especially as he know the cops were coming.

I believe that his cowboy attitude, puffed up by his gun, led him to follow/stalk a barely 17 year old kid and I believe race had something to do with that.

He may have acted stupidly, but what he did was not against the law. Also, "you believing something" isn't proving anything. That's what it boiled down to, at best, most people were only "pretty sure" he was guilty but our justice system demands more than that

And all this rubbish on riots... come on, don't buy into the media hype. The media already inserted their dirty, truly racist hands into the matter, I highly doubt we'll see anything crazy happening
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

cjg225

Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:45 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 25):
And the unfortunate part about that is that the truth is never really known - we never got to hear Martin's side of the story.

Can't that be said of almost every homicide prosecution?

Type-Rated

Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:50 am

To tell you the truth, I am just very glad this is over!
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

LAXintl

Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:56 am

which vindicates the original police recommendation not to prosecute. "GZ claims self defence. We find no significant evidence to suggest otherwise."

Everything was fine until politicos got involved and wanted to make this some sort of civil rights case.

That makes him a killer, especially to African Americans who have been the subject to abuse and racism.

You sound like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson who managed to start a media circus trying to make this a race thing.

How about entering the gated community via the front door, not hoping a fence.

There had been multiple recent issues in the community with people gaining access including damaging property which was the whole reason for neighborhood watch being out there to start with.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

flymia

Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:57 am

1. I hate Pierce Morgan trying to search for that race quote from Zimmerman's brother. He in my mind is such an unprofessional idiot. Zimmerman's brother is doing a fantastic job. I wish Morgan was off the air already. Surprised Zimmerman's brother hasn't walked away from the desk. Its disgusting.

Then why did it take a jury 16 hours of discussion/debates? They could have gone home last night after 20 or 30 minutes if things were so clear.

Because the jury did a good job. And again I think the prosecution did a decent job with the case they had.

I'm not emotionally charged about the guy. I believe it is rational to consider him a wanna be cop who couldn't make the grade.

Not against he law.

There will be people out there who would have no hesitation getting into it with Zimmerman so that guy needs to stay in hiding from the public. Maybe some work-at-home job with the family kicking in money to keep him sheltered & fed.

Agreed. I would hire an immigration attorney and start looking for a country who would take him. I think he has an asylum case. If someone was as hated as George Zimmerman is in another country. His face and name on national TV the U.S. would give that person asylum.

Now i'm not a lawyer or anything, I just feel like the prosecution shot themselves in the foot way too many times.

They made some mistakes but it was not an easy case.

Murder 2 was always off the table IMO.

I must say that the defense mopped the floor with the prosecution

Agreed. Great lawyers.

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 27):
He may have acted stupidly, but what he did was not against the law.

Exactly. People need to understand this. So many of the bad facts for Zimmerman had nothing to do with breaking any laws.

flyguy89

Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:23 am

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 9):
Zimmerman could still face, as with OJ Simpson, a civil liability lawsuit although I suspect Zimmerman has few assets worth getting

I wonder though if he would sue some of the media outlets like MSNBC for libel in editing the 911 call, or the other (can't remember which one) who released his social security number etc.

I'm a gun owner, i'm pro gun and I still think how he put himself in that situation was wrong just saying...

Sure, but in the eyes of the justice system that's irrelevant, simply following him wasn't illegal, ill-advised perhaps, but you can't put someone away for it.

Then why did it take a jury 16 hours of discussion/debates?

Considering the judge let the prosecution slip in a manslaughter charge at the last minute and the shear length of trial and testimony/evidence to consider, 16 hours isn't really that long.

I believe it is rational to consider him a wanna be cop who couldn't make the grade.

You have every right to your opinion and your personal judgement of him, but with regard to the law, it was equally rational to consider that he was attacked and defended himself based on the evidence (or lack thereof apparently), and that's all that matters.

Do you really believe that Zmmerman would have followed/stalked Martin if he had been white & wearing a Polo shirt & loafers?

So black people can't/don't wear polo shirts and loafers? Honestly if the guy had been white and wearing baggy clothes and a hoody it would have probably looked equally suspicious. In the end though neither of us are mind readers and don't know how he thinks or what he believes. From the get-go however, the media and all the usual NAACP ambulance chasers have been on this case like white on rice, blowing it up and sensationalizing it in an irresponsible way.

Quoting flymia (Reply 31):
I hate Pierce Morgan trying to search for that race quote from Zimmerman's brother.

I'm totally with you there. Hey Britain, can you please please please take this guy back?

[Edited 2013-07-13 21:27:48]

Dreadnought

Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:26 am

No argument there. As I said in the other thread:

Quoting dreadnought (Reply 217):
This was no victory on either side. The whole thing was a tragedy. Zimmerman, in his arrogance, got himself into a situation that he was ill-prepared-for. Martin, in his arrogance, decided to double back and see who was behind him, and having seen that it wasn't a cop, decided to "fix his wagon". Two idiots met in the dark that night. There is nothing to celebrate.
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

seb146

Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:32 am

That's too bad. A man with anger issues who brings a gun to a fist fight murders a pot head with tagging issues and the pot head is tried and convicted and the angry man with a gun is the victim.

Welcome to the South!
Life in the wall is a drag.

DeltaMD90

Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:58 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 34):
That's too bad. A man with anger issues who brings a gun to a fist fight murders a pot head with tagging issues and the pot head is tried and convicted and the angry man with a gun is the victim.

Welcome to the South!

Um, this is the Zimmerman case, not some strange right wing horrorland case you've dreamed up yet again

DocLightning

Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:44 am

I've always said that it is better for a guilty man to walk than for an innocent man to hang. I'm not happy about this "stand-your-ground" law and I'm not happy that this guy (who clearly has a violent history) is out on the streets again, but I'd rather the system err in that direction.

Let us not forget, BTW, that throwing him in jail, putting him in the electric chair, or slowly slicing his genitals off with a rusty knife aren't going to bring Trayvon back to life.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

DeltaMD90

Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:55 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 36):
I'm not happy about this "stand-your-ground" law

I'm glad to hear that someone who is against this law has the tone you do. NOW is the time to discuss whether we need to keep SYG, modify it, or trash it. Too many people thought the law was rubbish and in turn, thought Zimmerman was guilty. I think (and keep in mind, I wasn't in the courtroom) that Zimmerman acted stupidly but according to the law on the books, he did not do anything illegal.

You can't simply say the law is stupid, it should be X or Y, Zimmerman would have definitely broken it then, therefore he is guilty

As someone who is pro-self defense, I do have a problem with this law. I can see cases where, due to how people think and perceive things, both think they are "standing their ground" and someone in turn is gonna wind up being dead. I also think that it is wrong, in many cases, to be totally in the right but stand your ground when you can easily and safely retreat without putting yourself in a situation where you have to shoot someone. If you can't retreat, by all means, protect yourself, but if you can retreat, don't just stay there because you legally have the right to kill somebody. That's wrong in my book

OA412
Crew

Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:55 am

You have to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, and prosecutors failed to do that. I'm really unhappy about the verdict, but the case was difficult because the only real witness is dead.

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 10):
There was no case here.

Yes it's all politically motivated. Of course.

Quoting windy95 (Reply 14):
A politically manipulated case that luckily for GZ had 6 citizens ,that could see through the bullcrap. Listening to the news and the idiots on them still try to push the race issue. What a joke

If Trayvon Martin was white, he wouldn't have ever been shot by Zimmerman. If George Zimmerman was black, he would arrested on the spot rather than being given the benefit of the doubt. Let's dispense with the crap that race is not an element in this case. Racism is alive and well in America. You want to pretend otherwise, fine, but in doing so you're being intentionally disingenuous.

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 19):

Indeed. I worked in law enforcement for several years, and I came across many guys similar to Zimmerman. They were all the same, fancying themselves as sorts of vigilantes out to save the world, and often ignoring the advice of law enforcement.

Agreed.

I agree with you as well. If Martin was white, he would not have been followed. That's just reality.

Quoting Mir (Reply 23):
Anyway, hopefully this case will persuade some people not to go looking for trouble, trying to play hero/vigilante.

Hopefully.

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 28):
Everything was fine until politicos got involved and wanted to make this some sort of civil rights case.

We can ignore the fact that racism is alive and well in America, or we can all try and work together to confront our demons, ask ourselves the tough questions, and move toward a better society.

You sound like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson who managed to start a media circus trying to make this a race thing.

Race is an element in this case. Arguing otherwise is simple intellectual dishonesty.

How about entering the gated community via the front door, not hoping a fence.

There had been multiple recent issues in the community with people gaining access including damaging property which was the whole reason for neighborhood watch being out there to start with.

Hopping a fence shouldn't be grounds for murdering someone. People damaging property is obviously illegally, but Zimmerman should have allowed cops to deal with it rather than trying to take the law into his own hands. He was on the phone with police, he should have followed the advice of dispatch and allowed officers to handle the situation. He didn't and now we have one dead teenager, and a man who is now a murder and marked for life. Neither side won here.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

PHX787

Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:02 am

Has any rioting occurred?

Quoting OA412 (Reply 36):
Race is an element in this case. Arguing otherwise is simple intellectual dishonesty.

The only race evidence I saw during this whole time was the testimony by that one friend who was on the phone with Trayvon, where she claimed Trayvon was being followed by a "cracka"

Maverick623

Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:21 am

Quoting windy95 (Reply 14):
Listening to the news and the idiots on them still try to push the race issue.

I heard one of the CNN idiots actually say that her "Spidey Sense" was telling her whatever she was saying.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 34):
(who clearly has a violent history)

He does?

because the only real witness is dead.

So Zimmerman isn't a witness? Why does Trayvon's word become the word of God? Was he not a part of the fight?

Let's dispense with the crap that race is not an element in this case.

Race was an element, but not by Zimmerman.

You want to pretend otherwise, fine, but in doing so you're being intentionally disingenuous.

You're the only one pretending. There is zero evidence to suggest that Zimmerman targeted Trayvon because of his skin color.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

PanHAM

Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:25 am

Quoting flymia (Reply 6):
The system is made that we would rather have 10 guilty men out free than one innocent man in jail.

Tell that to Debra Milke in AZ and Jens Soering in VA, they'll be pleased to hear that they have a chance to be free very soon.