Grisee08
Topic Author

Man Admits To Driving Drunk Before Charged

Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:45 am

http://www.wlox.com/story/23360015/d...nt=buffer6dd7d&utm_medium=facebook

A snippet from the article:
COLUMBUS, OH (WBNS/CNN) - An Ohio man admits he drove drunk, he admits he killed someone, and he made the admissions online - before he'd even been charged.

"My name is Matthew Cordle on June 22, 2013, I hit and killed Vincent Canzani," he said in the video.

His words are direct. His reason stated clearly.

"This video will act as my confession," he said. "I won't dishonor Vincent's memory by lying about what happened."

I will not praise this man for his initial act, rather I will bestow shame upon him. But for owning up to it, and admitting it before the prosecutor even had a chance to charge him? Well, you don't see that every day. I praise this man for doing the right thing in the end.
You're Losing The Game!

Airstud

RE: Man Admits To Driving Drunk Before Charged

Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:24 am

Quoting Grisee08 (Thread starter):
But for owning up to it, and admitting it before the prosecutor even had a chance to charge him? Well, you don't see that every day. I

Yeah - scratch head - that's a thing that always confuses me whenever I see stories like this (which obviously ain't often). In this person is the decency & courage to face up to what he had done; in a person where such decency exists, how can he also lack the decency to... you know... NOT DRIVE DRUNK IN THE FIRST PLACE?!!?!??

Some things about folks, I will never understand...   
Pancakes are delicious.

Francoflier

Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:47 am

Exactly.

He was smart enough, afterwards, to realize there is no escaping what he has done.
Yet, he wasn't smart enough to not drink and drive.

I know alcohol alters your judgement, but honestly. It's not that f!$#*ng complicated.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

DarkSnowyNight

Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:22 am

Quoting Airstud (Reply 1):
Quoting francoflier (Reply 2):

You guys are both right. I'm not going to comment about his integrity here as that seems pretty muddy.

But there is a dimension of time after the fact in which he could feasibly have acted as essentially a different person than when his judgement lapsed in the first place. By being confused, we are essentially admitting (perhaps debating?) that we're not sure which version to judge, the man who made the mistake, or the one he now is as a result of that mistake.

Sorry, guess I don't have more to offer than that.
Be A Perfectionst, You're Nothing If You're Just Another; Something Material, This Isn't Personal...

greasespot

Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:33 am

I will say it. I respect him for standing up and owning it. There is far to much It's not my fault when caught in the act.

Now throw the book at him.

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

Klaus

Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:05 am

Quoting Airstud (Reply 1):
Yeah - scratch head - that's a thing that always confuses me whenever I see stories like this (which obviously ain't often). In this person is the decency & courage to face up to what he had done; in a person where such decency exists, how can he also lack the decency to... you know... NOT DRIVE DRUNK IN THE FIRST PLACE?!!?!??
His confession is intended as a PSA, imploring anyone who watches it not to drink and drive. It may yet convince some people to do the right thing before something happens, and by that this may indeed still save some other lives.

We all(?) know what he did when drunk was stupid, but it's correct to at least do the right thing afterwards (instead of possibly lying his way out of it) and maybe help other people to really grasp the severity and reality of the consequences before they're making their own mistakes.

His original decision was stupid and reckless (as with millions of other drunks or stoners), but willingly accepting and dealing with the consequences is still a honourable thing, even if it's too late to make everything right again.

fr8mech

Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:50 pm

Quoting DarkSnowyNight (Reply 3):
You guys are both right. I'm not going to comment about his integrity here as that seems pretty muddy.

His integrity is not in question. His judgment is.

I wouldn't mind holding this guy as an example to my children: if you do something wrong, admit it and try to make it right, regardless of the personal circumstances.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

DarkSnowyNight

Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:10 pm

Quoting Fr8mech (Reply 6):
His integrity is not in question. His judgment is.

Right. But my point was that we're talking about two entirely different facets of one person. Made all the less simple by virtue of the possibility that the man who 'fessed up did so because of the result of his previous poor judgement. Not saying that's the way it is, just that it's enough to think about that I have a hard time ascribing any particular judgement to the guy.

Quoting Fr8mech (Reply 6):

I wouldn't mind holding this guy as an example to my children: if you do something wrong, admit it and try to make it right, regardless of the personal circumstances.

Nothing wrong with that. His punishment should be in line with the law of that jurisdiction, and yes, it is a good character measure to see that he maintains his position after serving that out.
Be A Perfectionst, You're Nothing If You're Just Another; Something Material, This Isn't Personal...

DeltaMD90

Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:35 am

I have a theory, maybe he is a good guy and never really drank much at all, and the first time he does it really hits him and he has literally no control over his actions and this happens. Not saying that's a good excuse, but it could go to explain how a "good guy" like him ended up in this situation

Plenty of smart people make one or two really stupid decisions in their lives, most just are lucky enough to get away with them
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)