Pyrex
Topic Author

Let Us Hear Your Obamacare (horror?) Stories

Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:13 am

Well, it has been here for a few weeks, so let us hear how it has been affecting you so far.

I had to renew / re-enroll in my health insurance today (I get my health insurance through my employer, so luckily did not have to endure those exchange clusterloves). For a similar plan as what I had last year (it was a pretty good plan. so I seriously doubt there was any coverage that had to be jacked up to conform to Obamacare minimum requirements) my out-of-pocket premiums are up 30% (yes, thirty percent, 3-0).

Since I only pay ~30% of my coverage (my employer picks up the rest) that would mean an extra ~$1,800 a year, for one person only (if I had a wife or kids, would have to pay an extra $1,800 / person, since my employer does not subsidize them nearly as much). I can afford my increased premiums, but will probably downgrade to a high deductible plan with a health savings account, as it is seeming like better value.

What about you? How have you been affected so far?
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

photopilot

RE: Let Us Hear Your Obamacare (horror?) Stories

Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:13 am

Wow..... can't believe the success stories of Obamacare being posed online. People who have been denied coverage or who couldn't afford the usurious rates charged by insurance companies.

Wonderful to finally hear and read that basic medical care is now a reality.

More here.....
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...ready-making-a-difference-20131016

OA260

Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:35 am

Quoting photopilot (Reply 1):

Yes its great to see that the selfish people who only care about themselves are being silenced so that the less well off in their country can afford to be covered. Never understood the attitude that people would rather their fellow citizens die of cancer than agree a plan to help them get the drugs they need. Lets hope those (Horror ) stories get less and less.   

Quoting Pyrex (Thread starter):
Since I only pay ~30% of my coverage

Count yourself VERY lucky that someone is paying your way for you !

Kiwirob

Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:51 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 2):

Here here, it's amazing how selfish some folks really are, universal taxpayer funded healthcare should be a top priority for any govt along with education, everything else follows along behind.

Pyrex
Topic Author

Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:11 pm

More here.....

Was wondering where you were getting some made-up stories given the reactions have been almost universally negative (with even many liberal journalists /commentators admitting it has been "less than smooth", to use an euphemism) but then I saw it - it came from the terrorist-lovers over at Rolling Stone. At least I can congratulate you on finding the self-control not to post something from Mother Jones, I guess.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 2):

Nobody is paying my way for it, I pay for it myself through reduced wages. Or are you one of those naive people who think that employer contributions to Social Security are paid for by the employer?

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 3):
universal taxpayer funded healthcare should be a top priority for any govt

Considering I am a refugee from a country where you have to pay effective tax rates of over 70% to get it, only to have to pay out-of-pocket or buy health insurance if you want to wait less than 6 months before being seen by a doctor, couldn't disagree more.

OA260

Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:20 pm

(my employer picks up the rest)
Quoting Pyrex (Reply 4):
Nobody is paying my way for it, I pay for it myself through reduced wages

Which is it?

romeobravo

Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:31 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 5):
Which is it?

He's paying for it via reduced wages.

This is likely because there are tax incentives to be paid not in money but in health coverage. If this were not the case his employer would likely just pay him entirely in cash and he could buy coverage with that cash as he sees fit.

Of course these incentives result in overspend on healthcare and healthcare being linked to employment, which is undesirable.

AirPacific747

Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:42 pm

Here here, it's amazing how selfish some folks really are,

And while we're at it:

http://www.upworthy.com/9-out-of-10-...about-this-mind-blowing-fact-2?g=3

Pyrex
Topic Author

Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:52 pm

Quoting RomeoBravo (Reply 6):
Of course these incentives result in overspend on healthcare and healthcare being linked to employment, which is undesirable.

Not to mention discriminate against those who work for themselves / smaller employers and have to buy individual coverage with post-tax money. They had a prime chance to finally break the link between healthcare and employment (just as the one between retirement and employment should be broken) and instead they actually reinforced it.

sw733

Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:00 pm

I have this terrible, frightening story about Obamacare. I actually think it was just a dream...nay, a nightmare. It couldn't actually have happened. But I had this dream that a few crazy nutjob Republicans actually shut the country down for half-a-month over a bill that has already been passed and backed by the USSC. That...that didn't actually happen, right guys? Right?!

In reality, I too renewed my employer-provided health insurance this week, and it went up $1/paycheck ($2/month) over last year. Ohhhh the humanity!

(I know, I'm lucky. And I'm really just in a snarky, sarcastic, end of the week mood. Go easy on me)

Kiwirob

Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:06 pm

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 4):
Considering I am a refugee from a country where you have to pay effective tax rates of over 70% to get it, only to have to pay out-of-pocket or buy health insurance if you want to wait less than 6 months before being seen by a doctor, couldn't disagree more.

Yeah but look where you come from, it doesn't have to be as bad as that (and the truth be told it probably isn't).

casinterest

Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:07 pm

Since I only pay ~30% of my coverage (my employer picks up the rest) that would mean an extra ~$1,800 a year, for

Was the 1800 the total increase, or your portion?

( IE you are paying 150 more for coverage, which means you were already paying 500 a month, and your Employer now pays 1500 a month?
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

Okie

Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:29 pm

(if I had a wife or kids, would have to pay an extra $1,800 / person, since my employer does not subsidize them nearly as much

This is what a lot of companies have done and dropped coverage for families and covering the employee only.
Your $1,800 is in line for additional family members is inline with what I understand.
It basically will cost the employer an additional $9.00 per hour to insure family members (50wks x 40hrs =200 then 1800/200). The employee can decide if they want to pay the $9.00 per hour for their family member or go to Obamacare to get additional coverage for them.

Wow..... can't believe the success stories of Obamacare being posed online

The problem is not employer provided insurance but going to Obamacare to insure yourself or family member.
This morning the Obamacare news release is that in the first two weeks they have been able to sign up 20,000 and claiming a major success and minor problems. That is roughly 10,000 per week there are suppose to be 30,000,000 that need to sign up so that equates to 3000 weeks or 57 years before they can get the eligible signed up.
Right now it appears to be a massive out house mess but if you prefer to a call that a success then more power to you.

Lets hope we do not have to wait 57 years to get medical treatment.

Okie

offloaded

Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:48 pm

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 4):

Don't worry, when you decide you don't want to be a refugee any more, you can come back to your homeland, and despite working overseas your whole life and never paying a cent into the system, you can have free medical care until the day you pop your clogs.

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 4):
Or are you one of those naive people who think that employer contributions to Social Security are paid for by the employer?

OK.... Well, in your country, where I am an employer, it is indeed paid for by the employer. On top of that, on a €1450 monthly salary, the employee has additional tax of social security at 11%, IRS at 17.5%, supertax (bailout) tax at 3.5%, receiving €1049 nett. The employer, me, on that salary pays €303 in IRS and €501 in Social Security. So to hand the employee €1049 a month, it costs the company €2254, or about 53% to the State and 47% to the worker.

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 8):
They had a prime chance to finally break the link between healthcare and employment (just as the one between retirement and employment should be broken)

Don't forget education, defence, infrastructure etc. You shouldn't have to pay for anything at all. Countries should run themselves... for free!

Quoting OA260 (Reply 5):

You crazy lefties!  
To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice - Magna Carta, 1215

Moose135

Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:54 pm

Oh the horrors...

My company just announced the changes for 2014. Our rates remain the same as 2013 - which were the same as our 2012 rates. I joined the company in 2012, so I don't know about prior to that, but this means that for at least three years, we have paid the same for our coverage - and it's a very good plan, including no-cost health and wellness programs. The only significant change is our co-pay goes from $20 to $30 for services that require a co-pay.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

mt99

Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:59 pm

out-of-pocket premiums are up 30% (yes, thirty percent, 3-0).

Mines went up to but in a real $ basis it was nothing,. I think mines went up like $34 a month (yes that is 20%!!) will $34 make me start a A.net thread?

$34 is a bit over $1 a day - The tragedy!!! That single dollar, made Ted Cruz's fight in the House all worth while.

Since I only pay ~30% of my coverage (my employer picks up the rest) that would mean an extra ~$1,800 a year,

Damn, your company really needs to find a better insurance vendor., You guys are getting screwed!
Step into my office, baby

fr8mech

Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:01 pm

I was going to wait until the new year to post a similar thread, though I was going to title it "How has Obamacare Affected You", since I would have had a much better idea of its affect on me.

Good news: my premium has gone down by $300/yr. Oh wait, the reason for that: my wife got booted from my insurance plan due to Obamacare. Since my wife has not received her insurance package information yet, we don't know what her premium, co-pay or deductible will be. I'm hopeful that all that will be less than $300.00  

So, what does this mean? It means we will have 2 deductibles: one for my children and me and one for my wife. I have an HSA and I'm hearing that my wife will also have an HSA, so, the deductibles will be high. I need to check the IRS website, but I'm hearing that I can't use the HSA that will be in my name for my wife because she's not covered by my insurance. So, We will have to put some money into her HSA to take advantage of the tax benefits and to offset some of her deductible.

Speaking of the IRS...I understand that starting in 2014 I may be taxed on the fair market cost of my health insurance and, of course, my wife's. Though, I'm hearing the HSA type insurance may not meet the bar.

So, Mr. Obama: my wife was not able to keep the insurance she likes and our health care costs will go up.

Thank you.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

mt99

Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:07 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 16):
the reason for that: my wife got booted from my insurance plan due to Obamacare.

Due to "Obamacare" or due to you job choosing not to cover her? Sounds like you job sucks!

777ER
Crew

Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:27 pm

Fully agree! I'm really pleased I live in a country that has free hospital health care, free dentist visits for under 18 year olds and free GP visits for 6 and unders. I simply can't understand why a country like the USA requires everyone to have insurance or pay for your hospital care. About time there is a programme that enables the poor/unable to afford insurance to receive the medical treatment any human deserves to have.

While in the USA in 2007 I required emergency eye treatment and wouldn't get seen unless I could produce insurance papers or could pay on the spot. Thankfully I was fully covered under the Visa Exchange Prgramme I was on.

rfields5421

Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:50 pm

so I seriously doubt there was any coverage that had to be jacked up to conform to Obamacare minimum requirements) my out-of-pocket premiums are up 30% (yes, thirty percent, 3-0).

As you said - your health insurance has not changed to include any new coverages - so how is a price increase related to the Affordable Care Act.

It is the health insurance company ripping off you, or paying kickbacks to your employer - not Obamacare - that raised your rates.

Oh wait, the reason for that: my wife got booted from my insurance plan due to Obamacare.
So, Mr. Obama: my wife was not able to keep the insurance she likes and our health care costs will go up.

That has nothing to do with ACA/Obamacare. Employers have been taking working spouses off their supported healthcare plans for years. Mine did that in 2007. I guess I have to blame Obama for that.

Quoting okie (Reply 12):
The problem is not employer provided insurance but going to Obamacare to insure yourself or family member. This morning the Obamacare news release is that in the first two weeks they have been able to sign up 20,000 and claiming a major success and minor problems.

You should hear the horror stories when Medicare Advantage started. Even today an estimated 200,000+ seniors every year have major issues getting signed up for the Medicare Advantage plan they want.

Yes, the ACA exchanges signup system has tons of issues. A new computer system/ program and a million people, many not technology oriented, at the same time.

Since Obamacare does not start until January, lets hope the system gets better.

petertenthije

Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:54 pm

Quoting okie (Reply 12):
It basically will cost the employer an additional $9.00 per hour to insure family members (50wks x 40hrs =200 then 1800/200).

50 weeks * 40 hours equals 2.000 hours
$1.800 / 2.000 hours = $ 0,90 per hour.
Attamottamotta!

trav110

Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:57 pm

I have to wonder Pyrex, did you start this thread with a genuine interest in what other people have experienced, or did you start it just to argue with everybody and bash Obamacare? Once you got to the point of calling Rolling Stone magazine terrorist-lovers your credibility pretty much flew out of the window, imo.

[Edited 2013-10-18 08:36:35]

mt99

Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:02 pm

As a reference on average my cost of insurance,same employer and very similar coverage year to year has been approx 15% a year for the the last 5 years.

So - what is different now?

Pyrex - to make a fair comparison (which is what you are obviously trying to do) tell us - what has been the average increase in your premiums in pre-Obamacare years - so we can compare properly.

Isis this the first time your premiums have gone up? The rest of us have seen them go up dramatically for a while now.

[Edited 2013-10-18 08:20:12]

cedarjet

Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:09 pm

Quoting trav110 (Reply 21):
I have to wonder Pyrex, did you start this thread with a genuine interest in what other people have experienced, or did you start it just to argue with everybody and bash Obamacare?

I like the bit where he describes himself as a "refugee", somehow equating a high tax rate (that comes with universal medical care and a generous welfare state, good education and a high standard of living) to, I dunno, ethnic cleansing, or perhaps a hideous natural disaster like a tsunami.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Kiwirob

Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:24 pm

Quoting cedarjet (Reply 23):
I like the bit where he describes himself as a "refugee", somehow equating a high tax rate (that comes with universal medical care and a generous welfare state, good education and a high standard of living) to, I dunno, ethnic cleansing, or perhaps a hideous natural disaster like a tsunami.

As sheep like to say "the grass is greener on the other side of the fence".

Okie

Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:39 pm

Quoting petertenthije (Reply 20):
50 weeks * 40 hours equals 2.000 hours
$1.800 / 2.000 hours = $ 0,90 per hour

whoops, Ok thanks.

So far we have heard from people who have company provided insurance.

The sign up for those who do not seems to be a bit of a massive failure.
Roughly a 13 week sign up period for 30,000,000 which would equate to about 5,000,000 should have been able to sign up by now not 20,000.

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 19):
Since Obamacare does not start until January, lets hope the system gets better

I would have expected a few problems but not this massive of a fail. They have been working on it for 3 years, I would have doubts that the problems can be corrected in a few weeks. The shorter the time frame the larger the load on the computer system will be and it appears it can only deal with about 10,000 a week.

Okie

OA260

Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:55 pm

Quoting trav110 (Reply 21):
I have to wonder Pyrex, did you start this thread with a genuine interest in what other people have experienced, or did you start it just to argue with everybody and bash Obamacare?

Its all in the thread title .   ''Your experience with Obamacare'' Would have been unbiased.

Quoting cedarjet (Reply 23):
I like the bit where he describes himself as a "refugee",

Indeed glad I am not the only one! Often looking back on previous threads is a good idea to get a picture.

I would rather suggest ''Economic migrant worker'' is the factual description. That is where a person can not make it in their own country for whatever reason and move to another country to better their career and lifestyle. Most people are grateful for this chance and also admit that they must pay their way to enjoy the lifestyle that they wish to enjoy. They are a guest in that country until such time they obtain US Citizenship. Just like my US branch of the Family who migrated to the USA.

Furthermore if an individual is not happy with their contract or benefits then they look for something that is more in tune with their expectations. If a person is that much of an asset then an employer may be willing to cover 85% - 100% of free healthcare along with other perks. I guess it just goes by the value the company put on your skills etc...

People should be happy with what they have and not try to claw back every $$ at the expense of others especially when they have a good lifestyle. We all have to contribute in our working lifetime for the good of the country and its citizens. I will never have kids but you dont see me bitching about tax breaks and child benefits I am paying in my taxes for.

RussianJet

Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:02 pm

I can see how people who might have to pay more will be annoyed about that, but I can't really understand why there isn't a greater realisation of the benefit to society of doing so. Unless, of course, you actually have some serious data to show that this isn't going to significantly improve access to better healthcare for huge sections of society, I really don't think there's anything to gripe about. Also, with a bit of luck, it might lead to some private insurers pricing themselves a little more competitively, knowing that people are likely to be a little more discerning in the face of any potential price increases.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

johnboy

Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:46 pm

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 27):
I can see how people who might have to pay more will be annoyed about that, but I can't really understand why there isn't a greater realisation of the benefit to society of doing so.

Because they'd actually have to give a damn about other people in society.

Really, that's what it comes down to.

Dreadnought

Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:47 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 2):

Here here, it's amazing how selfish some folks really are, universal taxpayer funded healthcare should be a top priority for any govt along with education, everything else follows along behind.

Is it just me or does nobody else see the blatant hypocrisy here?

You complain about people selfishness, yet you want taxpayer-funded healthcare - i.e. you don't want to have to pay for it yourself - but let others (specifically those who actually pay income taxes) pay for it. Or worse yet, deficit-spend and let our kids and grandkids pay for your healthcare.

I understand the appeal of single-payer healthcare, but don't BS us about it being less selfish. Single-payer is the ultimate abdication of personal responsibility - as opposed to a pure universal mandate (with no subsidies) which would be the legal imposition of personal responsibility.
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

RussianJet

Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:49 pm

Quoting johnboy (Reply 28):
Because they'd actually have to give a damn about other people in society.

Really, that's what it comes down to.

Yes. But I guess the bit that I really don't get is that even if you are that selfish, the health of society as a whole is something that actually does affect everybody, economically and socially, whether directly or indirectly.

zckls04

Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:02 pm

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 4):
Was wondering where you were getting some made-up stories given the reactions have been almost universally negative (with even many liberal journalists /commentators admitting it has been "less than smooth", to use an euphemism) but then I saw it - it came from the terrorist-lovers over at Rolling Stone.

Read the article and you'll find those stories are just links to other stories on other websites (e.g. the first one comes from the Salt Lake Tribune). They might all be untrue, but if they are then Rolling Stone didn't make them up.

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 29):
You complain about people selfishness, yet you want taxpayer-funded healthcare - i.e. you don't want to have to pay for it yourself - but let others (specifically those who actually pay income taxes) pay for it.

Not sure who you are addressing but your argument assumes the people arguing for universal healthcare don't pay taxes. I for one pay a lot of tax- I am happy to both pay for my insurance and subsidize the insurance of somebody who can't afford to pay.

Is that selfish or not? I have no idea. Personally I think I gain immensely by living in a society that protects its weaker members rather than vilifies them to abdicate any responsibility for them, in which case one may argue that it is selfish I suppose. But in that sense everything is selfish.
Four Granavox Turbines!

Boeing717200

Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:08 pm

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 19):
Since Obamacare does not start until January, lets hope the system gets better.

For those of us who had our premiums jacked up and our coverage modified to cope with the changes, it started in 2010.

Lets hope people will start to be honest about this. Obamacare has significantly increased the cost of insurance.

Quoting mt99 (Reply 17):
Due to "Obamacare" or due to you job choosing not to cover her? Sounds like you job sucks!

Petty and ignorant. If someone gets dropped its because the cost of insurance increased the employee overhead so substantially that it became financially impractical for the company to continue to pay those benefits. Anyone who thinks getting dropped makes for a poor employer does not have a single clue about how insurance works.

RussianJet

Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:18 pm

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 31):
Not sure who you are addressing but your argument assumes the people arguing for universal healthcare don't pay taxes. I for one pay a lot of tax- I am happy to both pay for my insurance and subsidize the insurance of somebody who can't afford to pay.

Is that selfish or not? I have no idea. Personally I think I gain immensely by living in a society that protects its weaker members rather than vilifies them to abdicate any responsibility for them, in which case one may argue that it is selfish I suppose. But in that sense everything is selfish.

Absolutely spot-on with the observations there. There are many out there, myself included, who pay a large amount of tax and are nonetheless perfectly happy to work and act for the greater good, No man is an island. It's in everyone's interests to have a healthy, productive society.

Dreadnought

Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:39 pm

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 31):

That's not the part I object to. I also believe that those who can't afford basic health care deserve some help, and it is the moral duty of those better off to provide that help. Which is why (or at least a reason) I pay my taxes and donate to health-related charities like St. Jude's

What gets up my nose is when those people who need help (or those who self-righteously advocate for them) don't ask for help, but demand it. They don't appreciate the help they get, but see it as their right to get it and call those who question the right as "selfish".

falstaff

Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:40 pm

It has cost my employer and myself to pay more for health insurance. How? Now lazy dead beats who are 25 can still be on their parent's policy. Those additional people are costing my employer more. They cost their parents more too, but that part of it isn't affecting me.

Now that people can't be denied coverage that means that costs must go up to cover those people.

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 27):
but I can't really understand why there isn't a greater realisation of the benefit to society of doing so

I don't have a problem with the benefit to society thing, I have a problem that the government is telling us WE MUST buy something from a private company, or anyone else. Never in history have Americans ever been required to by something, under legal penalty from the IRS. Some people want to use the car insurance analogy, but that is false because nobody makes you buy a car.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 2):
so that the less well off in their country can afford to be covered.

There was article in the Detroit Free Press last Sunday about the thousands of Michiganders who are going to lose their insurance or have to pay A LOT more. These people are forced to buy insurance (their previous insurance didn't meet the Obama standard) and their premiums are going up a lot. Many of these people make too much money to qualify for the government subsidy.

http://www.freep.com/article/2013101...s-being-dropped-Obamacare-Michigan

It always was. Hospital Emergency rooms were always filled with poor people who were seeking and received medical care.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 2):
Yes its great to see that the selfish people who only care about themselves are being silenced so that the less well off in their country can afford to be covered.

Lots of regular working stiffs are the ones getting stuck with higher premiums. A lot of people are sick are tired of having to work hard so we can pay for the less fortunate, who many times bring their problems on themselves.

universal taxpayer funded healthcare should be a top priority for any govt along with education, everything else follows along behind.

That would be nice, but the affordable care act doesn't do that.

Those of you who don't live in the USA need to understand something. The Affordable Care act is NOT universal tax payer funded healthcare, which many nations have. People are REQUIRED to purchase health insurance from private companies. If you don't make enough money you can get a subsidy. If you pay for your own insurance now your premiums will likely increase so people will be spending more on healthcare than before. This is the bill the insurance companies wanted, you must pay them and they will set their fees accordingly. Many people are the left like to make villains out of the oil companies because they get government subsidies and make huge profits. How will those same people feel when health insurance giants become even richer no that they can charge what they want and if you are poor you can have the government pay. The private insurers will become wealthier and have more sway in policy than they do now.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

casinterest

Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:49 pm

Quoting okie (Reply 12):
The problem is not employer provided insurance but going to Obamacare to insure yourself or family member.
This morning the Obamacare news release is that in the first two weeks they have been able to sign up 20,000 and claiming a major success and minor problems. That is roughly 10,000 per week there are suppose to be 30,000,000 that need to sign up so that equates to 3000 weeks or 57 years before they can get the eligible signed up.
Right now it appears to be a massive out house mess but if you prefer to a call that a success then more power to you.

Lets hope we do not have to wait 57 years to get medical treatment.

Okie

Good thing according to this doc your data is flat out wrong. Perhaps you need to post your sources instead of heresay

http://obamacaresignups.net/

363,000 sign ups (excluding everyone on healthcare.gov as the government has to release stats).

This site lists NY at 40,000 as of Oct 9 .

http://www.webmd.com/health-insuranc...ys-40000-have-applied-for-coverage

The administration is targeting 500,000 by Oct 31.

The signup will not be linear. It will be exponential as folks reach the end of the year and have evaluated their insurance needs for the year,

[Edited 2013-10-18 10:51:39]
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

Revelation

Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:52 pm

Quoting okie (Reply 12):
That is roughly 10,000 per week there are suppose to be 30,000,000 that need to sign up so that equates to 3000 weeks or 57 years before they can get the eligible signed up.

Totally bogus logic, okie. You are presuming that 10k/week is the max that the system can do for the next 57 years, and you have no idea how many actually tried to use the system.

Oh wait, the reason for that: my wife got booted from my insurance plan due to Obamacare.

No, she got booted because your employer booted her.

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 29):
Is it just me or does nobody else see the blatant hypocrisy here?

You complain about people selfishness, yet you want taxpayer-funded healthcare - i.e. you don't want to have to pay for it yourself - but let others (specifically those who actually pay income taxes) pay for it.

How do you know the poster doesn't "actually" pay income taxes ???

Pretty mean-spirited post, IMHO.
Inspiration, move me brightly!

zckls04

Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:59 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 34):
That's not the part I object to. I also believe that those who can't afford basic health care deserve some help, and it is the moral duty of those better off to provide that help. Which is why (or at least a reason) I pay my taxes and donate to health-related charities like St. Jude's What gets up my nose is when those people who need help (or those who self-righteously advocate for them) don't ask for help, but demand it. They don't appreciate the help they get, but see it as their right to get it and call those who question the right as "selfish".

You say it's a "moral duty"- if it's a duty it's fair to demand that people do it in my opinion. For me personally I don't donate to charity for the thank you letter I get (which goes straight in the bin). The same applies to this.
Four Granavox Turbines!

Okie

Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:18 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 37):
Totally bogus logic, okie. You are presuming that 10k/week is the max that the system can do for the next 57 years, and you have no idea how many actually tried to use the system.

Into the third week and nothing from what we hear has changed yet.

So my question is why would you be defending a 99+% failure rate and leaving 30M uninsured, who desperately need insurance, instead of calling for some accountability?

Okie

mt99

Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:19 pm

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 32):
mpractical for the company to continue to pay those benefits

That means that it is a crappy company to work for. Find a new a new job. Problem solved. Find a job that pays for you think your skill are worth, if you cant find a job like that. What can i say? Personal responsibility, should have chosen a better career. Its your problem - not mines.

Quoting falstaff (Reply 35):
Now that people can't be denied coverage that means that costs must go up to cover those people.

Quantify these "costs". As i said before, my insurance premiums have been going up as every year by about 15%.. This year was a tad more. What is the issue?

You guys act like healthcare cost in this country has never increased, and Obamacare is the first time that it has,.

Dreadnought

Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:26 pm

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 38):
You say it's a "moral duty"- if it's a duty it's fair to demand that people do it in my opinion.

No it is not. A moral duty is something you should want to do on your own.

You are driving down a lonely road, and see somebody stuck in the ditch. You have a moral obligation to stop and help. Should you be legally required to do so?

(assume for the scenario that personal safety is not an issue - you are a big beefy guy with a CCW and a gun at your hip)

Acheron

Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:36 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 2):
Yes its great to see that the selfish people who only care about themselves are being silenced so that the less well off in their country can afford to be covered. Never understood the attitude that people would rather their fellow citizens die of cancer than agree a plan to help them get the drugs they need. Lets hope those (Horror ) stories get less and less.

Usually those who would sell their families into slavery if they could as long it meant their favorite company turned a profit. Or who wouldn't mind to return to 12-18 hours shift for workers and child labor, a la Industrial Revolution.

Of course, as long is not -them- being forced into those conditions.

bhill

Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:38 pm

Fr8mech....you might wann read up on HSA's/FSA's. You can use your HSA monies to pay for your spouse's medical expenses. They do NOT need to be on your plan. All the IRS requires...NOT employer or insurer, is that the person has to be a tax dependent of yours. And vice-versa for her HSA.
Carpe Pices

RussianJet

Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:48 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 41):

You are driving down a lonely road, and see somebody stuck in the ditch. You have a moral obligation to stop and help. Should you be legally required to do so?

Yes. If you're physically able to, and you've seen such a person in serious peril and risk of death, I believe that you should be. I believe some countries even have such laws, particularly where accidents are concerned,

Boeing717200

Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:52 pm

Quoting mt99 (Reply 40):

That means that it is a crappy company to work for. Find a new a new job. Problem solved. Find a job that pays for you think your skill are worth, if you cant find a job like that. What can i say? Personal responsibility, should have chosen a better career. Its your problem - not mines.

Yes. Personal responsibility. Like not having to rely on something like Obamacare for insurance right?

Okie

Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:53 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 36):
Good thing according to this doc your data is flat out wrong. Perhaps you need to post your sources instead of heresayhttp://obamacaresignups.net/

I tried that 9 different times. Massive fail. Should I try 100 times to get the correct failure rate.

Okie

Moose135

Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:56 pm

Lets hope people will start to be honest about this. Obamacare has significantly increased the cost of insurance.

My health insurance premiums (with a previous employer) were going up significantly every year long before Obama ever ran for President.

Quoting falstaff (Reply 35):
The Affordable Care act is NOT universal tax payer funded healthcare, which many nations have.

Because the insurance companies, through their lobbyists and campaign contributions, prevented any legislation that would have allowed us to move to that model.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

mt99

Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:58 pm

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 45):

Yes. Personal responsibility. Like not having to rely on something like Obamacare for insurance right?

This means that you agree his job suck for dropping his wife. Thank you,.Join me in telling him to find a better job.

Revelation

Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:58 pm

Obamacare has significantly increased the cost of insurance.

No it hasn't. It has increased the amount of insurance people need to carry. If our capitalist friends are right, the market will correct for this.

Quoting okie (Reply 39):
Into the third week and nothing from what we hear has changed yet.

I realize the following may have been posted while you are writing, but it shows yet again how flawed your logic was:

363,000 sign ups (excluding everyone on healthcare.gov as the government has to release stats).

This site lists NY at 40,000 as of Oct 9 .

So we're over 10 times the rate your logic predicted. Keep in mind too that:

The signup will not be linear. It will be exponential as folks reach the end of the year and have evaluated their insurance needs for the year,

Quoting okie (Reply 39):
So my question is why would you be defending a 99 % failure rate and leaving 30M uninsured, who desperately need insurance, instead of calling for some accountability?

I hate to be the one to ask "source, please" but IMHO you really do need to provide a source for such a statement.

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 45):

Personal responsibility is arranging to have medical coverage. It's much less responsible to walk into an emergency room without any coverage.
Inspiration, move me brightly!