mke717spotter
Topic Author

FIFA World Cup Expanding To 48 Teams In 2026

Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:43 am

http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/sto ... o-48-teams

"The FIFA Council has rubber-stamped plans to expand the World Cup in 2026 to 48 teams, adding 16 nations.

FIFA president Gianni Infantino's revamp plan received unanimous backing at a meeting in Zurich on Tuesday.

This is the first time since the 1998 World Cup that changes have been made to the makeup of the tournament, with the 2026 competition set to feature 16 groups of three.

Infantino's preferred option for change was for a 2026 competition featuring 16 groups of three, followed by a 32-team knockout, increasing the number of games from 64 to 80 but remaining inside a 32-day schedule."

I thought things at FIFA might become a little more sane with Blatter out of the mix, but apparently not. I could've maybe gotten onboard with the option of a 40-team tournament, with 10 groups of four, but this is just too much. The qualification process will become even more of a formality for the top teams, and I'm especially unconvinced about having groups of three. Not only will some teams have the advantage of extra days rest, but there's also the possibility of collusion in the last group match.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

Francoflier

Re: FIFA World Cup Expanding To 48 Teams In 2026

Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:58 am

I'm not against more team, but groups of three renders the qualifiers a lot more boring and, as you say, open to shenanigans.

More matches during the same period will help organizing nations better recoup the investment they have to cough up, which is becoming ludicrous these days.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

scbriml

Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:13 am

Three team groups is a joke and will be much more likely to result in a group where all three teams have identical records, resulting in a team getting knocked out by drawing of lots. I don't believe that's ever happened with four team groups.

That said, I like the idea of more knock-out rounds, IMHO that's when the real football starts.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

NIKV69

Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:50 am

Total facepalm on this one. My Goodness.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

MrHMSH

Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:32 am

I think the net result will be more dour football matches like we saw at the Euros last year (and even the World Cup in 2014 was a bit boring). The seeding will ensure few 'top' teams meet in the group stages, but even in the knockouts there will be teams who just defend and hope for penalties. And even then, games between the 'top' teams can be very tedious. International football is slowly heading down the pan. I can only hope that the prospect of playing in a tournament raises the standard of teams who otherwise wouldn't get there.

Oh yeah, and FIFA get loads of money, and Infantino secures votes for his next presidency. Same crap, different toilet.

Dutchy

Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:01 pm

Great, then The Netherlands has a real chance to participate in 2026! :-)
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

ltbewr

Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:42 pm

I wonder how much in Bribes the FIFA voters took. Of course for a number of voters, it means a better chance for their National teams to be in the watered down World Cup so maybe that is the big payoff. Sadly it means much higher costs to the hosting city/country that none of them can really afford and more opportunity for players on the good teams to get hurt. It might mean too that top players for pro teams may not be allowed to be in the extended WC out of concern of injury.

scbriml

Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:41 am

I read, but can't find it now, that part of the plan for the three team groups, is that there will be no draws. Games ending in a draw at full time will be decided by a penalty shootout and the shoot-out score added to the teams' goal difference. If that's true then the possibility of a three-way tie is significantly reduced (but not removed).

Bad news for England! :duck:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

BartSimpson

Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:10 am

Here's how the group stages for the 2026 WC could look like - based on the 32 participants of the 2014 WC and the 16 best nations that didn't qualify:

http://www.spiegel.de/sport/fussball/fussball-wm-mit-48-mannschaften-so-koennte-das-fifa-turnier-aussehen-a-1129576.html

flyingturtle

Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:12 pm

I welcome bigger tournaments with more participants. But I fear that with three-team groups, luck will play a much bigger role than before.

I would rather wish one group of 48 teams, and then a Swiss (or Danish) system be used. :biggrin:

In the so-called Danish system, in each round you play against the next-ranked other team (1st vs. 2nd, 3rd vs. 4th, 5th vs. 6th... and so on). In the Swiss one, you play against the next-ranked team you haven't played yet (no repeated pairings).

A criterion then determines when the tournament is finished. In petanque, you play until there is only one player left with 0 losses.

This ensures a relatively short tournament, and still interesting games - as only teams with a similar strength will meet each other. An obvious drawback is that you can't plan where and when your team will play, a serious disservice to travelling fans. But as 99% of the people watch the game on TV anyway, I don't mind...

David
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.

B777LRF

Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:06 pm

Fact is, the World Cup is a competition between a handful of European nations plus Brazil and Argentina. Nobody else has a chance of seeing a podium finish. Watering down the product further, by increasing the size of the tournament with teams of African and Asian origin, will only serve to make FIFA and sponsers richer. Which, I suspect, is the only aim of this exercise.

What it will also mean, is that the European Cup will be the place where the real action is, free of nations who are only there to fill a spot. Spain vs Germany is fantastic and appeals to everyone who loves football, not least because the result is not given in advance. Spain vs Thailand would appeal to far fewer, as everyone knows it'll end in a spanking of the Thai team.
From receips and radials over straight pipes to big fans - been there, done that, got the hearing defects to prove

mke717spotter
Topic Author

Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:09 pm

scbriml wrote:
I read, but can't find it now, that part of the plan for the three team groups, is that there will be no draws. Games ending in a draw at full time will be decided by a penalty shootout and the shoot-out score added to the teams' goal difference. If that's true then the possibility of a three-way tie is significantly reduced (but not removed).

If they're going to get rid of draws, then is there really any reason to have a group stage at all?

B777LRF wrote:
What it will also mean, is that the European Cup will be the place where the real action is, free of nations who are only there to fill a spot.

Can that still be said with the expanded format of 24 teams?
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

Revelation

Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:01 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Great, then The Netherlands has a real chance to participate in 2026! :-)

Heck, even my Lithuanians are looking at a shot at glory now! :D

Bring on the Botswanians!
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

B777LRF

Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:30 pm

mke717spotter wrote:
Can that still be said with the expanded format of 24 teams?

No, that will also result in a watered down product with far fewer 'interesting' matches on offer. Still, most of those 24 teams can only be matched by a small handful of non-European teams, so the overall quality should still be superior to the WC.
From receips and radials over straight pipes to big fans - been there, done that, got the hearing defects to prove