Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CollegeAviator
Topic Author

2017 F1 Rolex Australian Grand Prix - Vettel wins!

Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:10 am

Too soon? :P

While it wasn't the most interesting races in terms of overtaking and stuff, what a great start to the season!

Ferrari confirming their pace from Barcelona testing after having come close to pole position in Australia, and trumping Mercedes' strategy to snatch the win away from Hamilton!

Highlights - definitely the three abreast pass between Ocon, Hulkenberg, Alonso!

Thoughts, fellow F1 fans?

B777LRF

Re: 2017 F1 Rolex Australian Grand Prix - Vettel wins!

Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:32 am

Positively surprised by Stroll in the Williams. Disappointed with the reliability of the Haas racers, but Grosjean showed it does have the speed to lead the 'middle pack'. Very sorry for Daniel, but generally the RBRs were a bit of a disappointment too.

Race itself was a bit boring, was hoping for more close racing and overtaking with the new cars.

Big congratulations to Ferrari and Vettel; nice to see them going wild on the victory lane.

My dislike for Hamilton is growing by the race. Really, a petulant child who might be better off in with his rap buddies.

Dutchy

Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:00 am

Good to see the dominance of the Mercedes is over and it will get more competitive.

RBR indeed still have some problems with the car and are not the competitive at the moment.

Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:33 am

Dutchy wrote:
Good to see the dominance of the Mercedes is over and it will get more competitive.

RBR indeed still have some problems with the car and are not the competitive at the moment.

Until Ferrari are dominating and then everyone will complain like they did the last time Ferrari were dominant.

Quick, Ferrari look fast, we need sweeping technical changes (at huge cost to everyone).

I propose a new feature- a random engine power reduction feature that will gently reduce top speed of a car a few times during a race. This will introduce more overtaking that the fans want...

It'll fit right in with all the other stupid ideas like DRS.

Sarcasm mode off... I long for the time when we will see innovation in F1, cars with real wow factor, radical new technology and designs. Like when cars such as the P34, the BT46B or the 'yellow teapot' RS01 shocked us.

ANITIX87

Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:04 pm

B777LRF wrote:
was hoping for more close racing and overtaking with the new cars.

This was never going to happen. From the first day the new regulations were revealed, everyone (drivers, engineers, analysts, media, etc) was screaming that it would make following more difficult and passing nearly impossible without DRS. The cars don't work in dirty air and these new regulations only lead to larger wakes and less effective front wings when following.

GrahamHill

Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:59 pm

CollegeAviator wrote:
Highlights - definitely the three abreast pass between Ocon, Hulkenberg, Alonso!

Yes, that was quite a good overtake.

B777LRF wrote:
Race itself was a bit boring, was hoping for more close racing and overtaking with the new cars.

Albert Park is not the best track for overtaking. We'll see how it goes in China.

B777LRF wrote:
My dislike for Hamilton is growing by the race. Really, a petulant child who might be better off in with his rap buddies.

He's a poser. I'm not a huge fan of the guy, but he's still an exceptionnal driver!

ANITIX87

Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:42 pm

GrahamHill wrote:
Albert Park is not the best track for overtaking. We'll see how it goes in China

Australia 2017 had 5 on-track overtakes compared to 37 last year. Even with China having more historically, it's a worrisome (but predicted) difference.

zkojq

Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:33 am

I had the privilege of attending. The experience of being a Tifosi at a race Ferrari wins is unbelievable. The raw emotion of the crowd as Vettel's lead was confirmed, when Kimi's fastest lap was set, as Seb crossed the finish line and during the italian national anthem was godly. This year's finally the year!!!!

The amount of speed that the cars are carrying into through the corners really has to be seen to be believed.

I was lucky to get quite close to the cars after the race. :checkeredflag: :cloudnine:

Ferrari SF70-H by ZK- NZE, on Flickr

Ferrari SF70-H by ZK- NZE, on Flickr

Anyone here going to any GPs this year? I might go to Barcelona and I'll be at Monaco for sure. If Sebastian or Kimi are leading the championship in October it will take a lot of willpower for me not to book an impromptu trip to Abu Dhabi for the finale (subject to work allowing me to).

On another note, who do you think will win the most WDCs, Ocon or Giovinazzi?

GrahamHill wrote:
Albert Park is not the best track for overtaking.

And that's the problem with the faster cars. It's great how they look, how much speed they can carry into the corners etc, but all of this eventually results in them outgrowing the tracks. Monaco and Baku will be even worse thanks to those massive rear tires.

CollegeAviator wrote:
Ferrari confirming their pace from Barcelona testing after having come close to pole position in Australia, and trumping Mercedes' strategy to snatch the win away from Hamilton!

The most important is that the Mercedes' achilles heel (being terrible in dirty air) is really starting to hurt them now that Ferrari seem to be able to get cars ahead.

CollegeAviator
Topic Author

Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:34 pm

The Mercedes is a mediocre car if its in 2nd place. Very interesting indeed.

Nice pics from Albert Park! I am so glad the race you went for was a Ferrari win after long! :D