Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wingman
Topic Author

Melania Stands for Womens' RIghts

Mon May 22, 2017 5:35 pm

An act of both beauty and bravery. Bravo Melania!

http://www.yahoo.com/news/watch-melania ... 08408.html

wingman
Topic Author

Re: Melania Stands for Womens' RIghts

Mon May 22, 2017 5:44 pm

Not even all that dosh and posh can help her overlook what a disgusting pig her husband is. I wonder if she can hold out or files before his term his up.

The other thing that gets me is what exactly he's reaching for? You don't think..nah, it couldn't be be. But then...it could be couldn't it?

salttee

Mon May 22, 2017 5:46 pm

Donald is doing the only thing he knows: exploiting people for financial profit.

Dutchy

Mon May 22, 2017 7:18 pm

Really? Yes, her marriage sucks, that is public knowledge.

But the title is a bit misleading, she also did this:

https://twitter.com/FLOTUS/status/86626 ... 28/photo/1

Enjoyed talking to the incredible women working hard @GE_Saudi service center. Great strides being made towards the empowerment of women.

Really, Melania? Empowerment of women in Saudi Arabia? The land where women are inferior to men by law? By law, they have no real say divorce, marriage, custody of children and inheritance. Have no access to higher education. The land where they have to wear a nicap? They may not drive, no participating in sports, not travel abroad by themselves. They have to ask for permission for their male guardian for almost anything. Since 2015, women have voting rights in the country, but the chosen women must be in a separate room during the city council and can only participate through video.

Yeah, Melania, great strides have been made.

TheFlyingDisk

Tue May 23, 2017 1:23 am

Dutchy wrote:

Enjoyed talking to the incredible women working hard @GE_Saudi service center. Great strides being made towards the empowerment of women.

Really, Melania? Empowerment of women in Saudi Arabia? The land where women are inferior to men by law? By law, they have no real say divorce, marriage, custody of children and inheritance. Have no access to higher education. The land where they have to wear a nicap? They may not drive, no participating in sports, not travel abroad by themselves. They have to ask for permission for their male guardian for almost anything. Since 2015, women have voting rights in the country, but the chosen women must be in a separate room during the city council and can only participate through video.

Slowly but surely the Arabs are moving there. It took the West years before women were fully emancipated, so why do you think the Arabs can do it any faster?

http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/07/women-in- ... n-6621239/

salttee

Tue May 23, 2017 1:36 am

wingman wrote:

I apologize for my earlier post, I thought the OP was a congratulation for Ivanka's PR stunt in Saudi Arabia. I had them mixed up.

I have sympathy for Melania's plight. I understand why she is staying in NY until school is out, and I believe it's a good bet that she will leave him in June instead of moving to the White House.

BobPatterson

Tue May 23, 2017 2:48 am

salttee wrote:
wingman wrote:

I apologize for my earlier post, I thought the OP was a congratulation for Ivanka's PR stunt in Saudi Arabia. I had them mixed up.

I have sympathy for Melania's plight. I understand why she is staying in NY until school is out, and I believe it's a good bet that she will leave him in June instead of moving to the White House.

Good thing you are not a marriage counselor. Let's check back after the 4th of July.

einsteinboricua

Tue May 23, 2017 2:58 am

salttee wrote:
I thought the OP was a congratulation for Ivanka's PR stunt in Saudi Arabia.

Wait...you mean the one that was formerly known as "Pay for Play" by Hillary Clinton? The one that dealt with taking money from countries that kill gays and mistreat women? That stunt?!

RoySFlying

Tue May 23, 2017 3:11 am

Dutchy wrote:
. Have no access to higher education.

Though the position of women in Saudi Arabia is not one of equality, it is untrue to say that women do not have access to higher education. In fact, women enroll in universities at a higher rate than men. Some universities accept both male and female students, though usually divided, while other universities are women only.

Some Saudi women are able to travel overseas to further their education. Of course, education alone does not remove the other impediments to progress that women face yet we are seeing the growth of businesses established by women. Over time we may see greater incorporation of women in a wider range of roles. We have already witnessed that in countries like the UAE.

tommy1808

Tue May 23, 2017 10:09 am

salttee wrote:
Donald is doing the only thing he knows: exploiting people for financial profit.

Since they don't advertise being fair trade, we can be reasonable sure she has women and kids making her stuff in the usual sweat shops.

Best regards
Thomas

Kiwirob

Tue May 23, 2017 2:53 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
salttee wrote:

Since they don't advertise being fair trade, we can be reasonable sure she has women and kids making her stuff in the usual sweat shops.

Best regards
Thomas

Ok so sweat shops are banned and production
moves back to proper countries the sweat shop employees are out of a job and you end up paying significantly more for everything, fucking brilliant idea.

I don't like like the idea of sweat shops personally but they serve a purpose, they make a lot of everyday items affordable and they provide employment for people who would otherwise be unemployed.

tommy1808

Tue May 23, 2017 3:08 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
moves back to proper countries the sweat shop employees are out of a job and you end up paying significantly more for everything, fucking brilliant idea.

I don't like like the idea of sweat shops personally but they serve a purpose, they make a lot of everyday items affordable and they provide employment for people who would otherwise be unemployed.

You are trying to tell me that there are countries out there that have laws against wages that pay for a living at 40 hours a week and other minor things?
Otherwise should could just pay them more.

A very common misconception about clothing is that there is a significant share of labor in it. Unless you buy the cheapest cheap stuff, labor is insignificant.A full man dressshirt is about 2 minutes total work time....

best regards
Thomas

BobPatterson

Tue May 23, 2017 7:12 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
A very common misconception about clothing is that there is a significant share of labor in it. Unless you buy the cheapest cheap stuff, labor is insignificant.

A full man dress shirt is about 2 minutes total work time....

I thought you were trained as an economist? I'm something of an "efficiency of operations" type.

Come visit and I'll arrange a trip to a clothing factory (we still have a few). I'll bring my stop watch.

You can verify as the minutes scroll by.

Kiwirob

Tue May 23, 2017 8:28 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

You are trying to tell me that there are countries out there that have laws against wages that pay for a living at 40 hours a week and other minor things?
Otherwise should could just pay them more.

A very common misconception about clothing is that there is a significant share of labor in it. Unless you buy the cheapest cheap stuff, labor is insignificant.A full man dressshirt is about 2 minutes total work time....

best regards
Thomas

It's not just clothing made in sweatshops its shoes, sports equipment, electronics, components for all sorts of things, sweat shops are a necessary evil.

wingman
Topic Author

Tue May 23, 2017 8:31 pm

And again! She definitely looks repulsed. Go girl!
http://gizmodo.com/president-trump-land ... 1795472694

Had to edit after watching the video, some jackwagon in a silly sideways hat photobombed the Presi after he got to the bottom of the stairs, and he even had time to do a salute. Italians are awesome!

SOBHI51

Tue May 23, 2017 9:31 pm

Dutchy wrote:

Please get your facts right.

Women education

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... d-resource

Yet women outnumber men in higher education: Some 59,948 women received postsecondary degrees in 2009 compared with 55,842 men, according to the Education Ministry.

Women are now free to travel without taking permission from no one.

Women in politics

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/vocativ/s ... 12762.html

Saudi Arabia’s Version Of Parliament Has More Women Than U.S. Congress

They do not attend from another room but they have a side of the room for them

Sports
Melania met with Princess Reema bint Bandar, she is the deputy minister in charge of women sports.

Again old habit dies hard and slow, give it time.

tommy1808

Wed May 24, 2017 5:12 am

BobPatterson wrote:
I thought you were trained as an economist? I'm something of an "efficiency of operations" type.

Come visit and I'll arrange a trip to a clothing factory (we still have a few). I'll bring my stop watch.

You can verify as the minutes scroll by.

Two minutes was in the 80´s, My aunt was running her own contract sewing "sweat" shop until she retired in the early 90s.
If your clothing companies need longer 30 years later, it is not that hard to guess why US products are not competitive on globalized markets.

best regards
Thomas

Kiwirob

Wed May 24, 2017 1:36 pm

So that two minutes includes cutting the cloth, sewing the shirt and putting on the buttons then folding and packaging, somehow I doubt that's all done in two minutes.!

tommy1808

Wed May 24, 2017 2:09 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
So that two minutes includes cutting the cloth, sewing the shirt and putting on the buttons then folding and packaging, somehow I doubt that's all done in two minutes.!

Minus packing. Button sewing in semiautomatic mode takes about 2 seconds per button. That is done at more the 1000 stitches per Minute, without super-slow-mo you don´t even see it, that is how fast it is done....the time is basically just needed for button positioning. At a 2.5mm/10th inch sewing density, you get between 5 and 10 meters of seam out of a Maschine - per minute. I said man dress shirt for a reason, no decorative seams to add....

best regards
Thomas

BobPatterson

Wed May 24, 2017 5:24 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Minus packing. Button sewing in semiautomatic mode takes about 2 seconds per button. That is done at more the 1000 stitches per Minute, without super-slow-mo you don´t even see it, that is how fast it is done....the time is basically just needed for button positioning. At a 2.5mm/10th inch sewing density, you get between 5 and 10 meters of seam out of a Maschine - per minute. I said man dress shirt for a reason, no decorative seams to add....

best regards
Thomas

Count the number of operations (Discrete steps) involved in the production of one shirt.

Start with receiving a roll or bolt of fabric at the receiving dock. End up with loading a carton of shirts onto an outbound vehicle.

There are several steps in the buttoning operation. Count all of them.

Does your final count exceed 50 steps/operations?

No? Go back and count again.

salttee

Fri May 26, 2017 6:15 pm

I toured a couple of textile plants in the Kowloon side of Hong Kong in the late 80s and everything was fully automated, it was a sight to behold. The giant spools of material were loaded via forklift and spewed material at something like 20 mph where it was turned into stacks of material at least two feet high of appropriate size. From there the base pattern was cut on what I assume was a couple of thousand pieces of cloth at one time. The stacks of cut material were then moved to numerically controlled machinery where individual pieces were pulled off the top and fed into a pathway that sewed a seam, then to a second machine that automatically positioned the cloth and sewed the second seam etc, on and on. The buttons were sewn in automatically by a button machine. Individual pieces were seldom or never handled by workers.

Two minutes per piece sounds about right to me.

I don't know what they do in North Carolina.