User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 14622
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:54 am

727LOVER wrote:
Roy Moore is NOT conceding


Poor form. But then again I suppose he thinks he's got nothing to lose except his dignity, and let's face it, that was gone a long time ago.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
jpetekyxmd80
Posts: 4187
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:16 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:58 am

NIKV69 wrote:

"We have to pass the bill to see what is in it"



Holy fuck. You are serious?

By that token you must have major reservations on the attempted processes in congress lately, particularly on health care, but also the tax bill.

They make the Obamacare process feel like reading Moby Dick in comparison, not to mention all the republican derived initiatives within Obamacare,and that some Republicans probably would have voted for it if it had been necessary.

That is pure bullshit, which is unsurprisingly coming from you.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009
 
N867DA
Posts: 1046
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 12:53 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:00 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Jetty wrote:
Don't trust people that make uninformed statements. Never.


Unless they are in your party right?

"We have to pass the bill to see what is in it"

"Conyers is an icon"

I get it.


I'm happy you're learning. Here is Speaker Pelosi's full speech:

Imagine an economy where people could follow their aspirations, where they could be entrepreneurial, where they could take risks professionally because personally their families [sic] health care needs are being met. Where they could be self-employed or start a business, not be job-locked in a job because they have health care there, and if they went out on their own it would be unaffordable to them, but especially true, if someone has a child with a pre-existing condition. So when we pass our bill, never again will people be denied coverage because they have a pre-existing condition.

We have to do this in partnership, and I wanted to bring [you] up to date on where we see it from here. The final health care legislation that will soon be passed by Congress will deliver successful reform at the local level. It will offer paid for investments that will improve health care services and coverage for millions more Americans. It will make significant investments in innovation, prevention, wellness and offer robust support for public health infrastructure. It will dramatically expand investments into community health centers. That means a dramatic expansion in the number of patients community health centers can see and ultimately healthier communities. Our bill will significantly reduce uncompensated care for hospitals.

You’ve heard about the controversies within the bill, the process about the bill, one or the other. But I don’t know if you have heard that it is legislation for the future, not just about health care for America, but about a healthier America, where preventive care is not something that you have to pay a deductible for or out of pocket. Prevention, prevention, prevention–it’s about diet, not diabetes. It’s going to be very, very exciting.

But we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.


Was she right? That's a different question entirely, and one that I really can't answer without throwing a few complains her way. But it sounds like with context what she said makes sense.

John Conyers will soon leave the House.

Al Franken is no longer in the Senate.

There are of course countless examples of crappy Democratic politicians who do very crappy things, and it'd be wrong of a Democrat to not accept that. Seems like Alabama recognizes sometimes, country over party. The senate can hold a few murderers (howdy Ted Kennedy! /s) but no pedos. What's your deal?
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you
 
Jetty
Posts: 521
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:27 pm

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:01 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
You CLEARLY didn't read the whole post or else you would have seen the disclaimer at the top before the fake Tweet. :roll:

I should have included that indeed. Your predication was way off nonetheless.
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:02 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
Moore claims there are still ballots coming in from military members. Fair enough. However, unless there are over 20,000 ballots coming in all for Moore and none for Jones, their claims are unsubstantiated.

This may be farfetched, but I wouldn't be surprised if they delay certifying the election until February because ballots are still arriving (even though every state has a "postmark by" date) or there are claims of irregularities in counties that ended going for Jones.


After all votes are counted, then, if the difference is close enough, the state law mandates a recount.

And here's the guy the SOS will appoint to do the recount...

Image
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
skyservice_330
Posts: 1334
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2000 6:50 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:05 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Charles Barkley just said Alabama has rednecks and ignorant people. How rich.


Some people actually pay attention to, or care about, what Charles Barkley has to say about politics. How sad.
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 7637
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:07 am

I'm sorry but this the greatest stupidest thing I have seen today:
http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017 ... r-lead.cnn

I can't get that some people are this lacking of knowledge. It just stuns me.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner
 
Ken777
Posts: 9547
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:39 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:12 am

There is an urgent need in the GOP to delay Jones being sworn in so he is not in the Senate (where he now belongs) when they have the Tax handout to the wealthy. McConnell has already said that the winner cannot be sworn in before the new year. He assumes he has the authority, but Chuck Schumer might just do it on his own. Or a Judge in Alabama who respects the Constitution.

This will probably be more high drama for a little while.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 10359
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:22 am

BURN!

Roy Moore refuses to concede to GDouglasJones?
Gee, it's like Moore doesn't realize that "no means no"

https://twitter.com/ImmortalSynn/status ... 7370833920
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
jpetekyxmd80
Posts: 4187
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:16 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:23 am

@ImmortalSynn
Horses, Aviation, and Politics!

Los Angeles, CA

I wonder who that is !!
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009
 
NIKV69
Posts: 11694
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:27 am

N867DA wrote:

Al Franken is no longer in the Senate.


Actually he is. He hasn't left yet.
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!
 
jubguy3
Posts: 495
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:18 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:29 am

Tugger wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
I suspect even more Democratic seats will be lost to sexual scandals. It's going around, and it's coming around. :lol:

That depends on it is they are gay sexual scandals... those seem to mostly involve Republican's (apologies to all my gay friends and family).

Tugg


You get a pass... the amount of mormon dads I see on grindr in Utah seems to verify your claims....
 
seb146
Posts: 16663
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:35 am

NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

For the love of...

Just because someone has a (D) behind their name does not make them "liberal." To you all, the only thing that makes someone "liberal" is not agreeing with Fox or Breitbart or tRump or McConnell or the GOP as a whole. He is just a touch to the left of McCain. That does not make him "liberal" by any means.


I didn't say he was Liberal I said how Liberal he votes. Meaning the next two years. Read my posts before you respond. He has to run again in 2020 and his voting record will be scrutinized. If he lets Schumer bully him into towing the line then he will be a liberal.


Like McConnell never bullied anyone? Party before country, you know.

Remember you righties were all crying and full of hatred over McCain when he talked about being "liberal"? Because he is so very "liberal" right? Think of Doug Jones as John McCain with a (D) behind his name.

EDIT:

Here is just one recent example of McConnell "not bullying" anyone:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/se ... mg00000063
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter
 
User avatar
seahawk
Posts: 6539
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:00 am

Lilienthal wrote:
seahawk wrote:

If you want my viewpoint on internal politics in the USA, sorry I do not have an opinion because I do not care, except from being fascinated by some stand points that seem so 17th century.


You flood this forum day in and day out with posts concerning US-topics, including US politics, most of the time showing strong support for even the most extreme of Trump's positions. And now you all of a sudden don't care and are fascinated by the backwardness of some of it? You gotta admit there's some pretty ridiculous irony in that...


I find it an interesting mental practice to debate while defending a standpoint that differs from my own. It helps to understand the motivation behind those standpoints.
 
User avatar
Goodyear
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:25 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:09 am

So much winning your head will spin.
 
User avatar
seahawk
Posts: 6539
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:16 am

Surprising but positive outcome. Maybe it will help to turn the Republican party away from the fringe candidates and extreme right influence.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 7708
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:20 am

Well.. this was good news to wake up to. Support for Rape in Alabama seems to be lower than expected.

So much winning!

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
salttee
Posts: 2331
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:26 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:20 am

seahawk wrote:
I find it an interesting mental practice to debate while defending a standpoint that differs from my own. It helps to understand the motivation behind those standpoints.
In other words, you like to troll internet forums.

I've always wondered what was up with you and your weird posts.
Last edited by salttee on Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 14622
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:24 am

Just in; Nick Saban got 19,000 write-in votes in this Senate race, and the margin of victory appears to be about 20,000 votes.

Seriously!

Roll Tide, I guess...
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
User avatar
seahawk
Posts: 6539
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:24 am

salttee wrote:
seahawk wrote:
I find it an interesting mental practice to debate while defending a standpoint that differs from my own. It helps to understand the motivation behind those standpoints.
In other words, you like to troll internet forums.

I've always wondered what was up with you and your weird posts.


Trolling is imho posting something false or attacking other posters and not simply taking a different viewpoint. But I can make it clearer in the future and will open with something like "A Moore voter might think...."
Last edited by seahawk on Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 7708
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:44 am

EA CO AS wrote:
727LOVER wrote:
Roy Moore is NOT conceding


Poor form. But then again I suppose he thinks he's got nothing to lose except his dignity, and let's face it, that was gone a long time ago.


Well, he has to come to grips with the fact that the voice in his head telling him to run, win and make America God´s no kingdom wasn´t god, but simple insanity.

So now he has to decide weather a) he is insane or b) his god is powerless. Hard choice.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
NIKV69
Posts: 11694
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:06 am

seahawk wrote:
Surprising but positive outcome. Maybe it will help to turn the Republican party away from the fringe candidates and extreme right influence.


I don't understand why Trump even got involved with Bannon. I knew the moment he didn't hire Newt to be Chief of staff he would be in trouble,
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!
 
KLDC10
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:07 am

As a conservative, I'll say this is a well-deserved loss. Not just for Moore, but for the entire, utterly incompetent Alabama GOP. The story of the special election is truly laughable - from former Governor Bentley's propensity for, shall we say, "overstepping boundaries" to the party's continued support of Moore.

The Republicans, if they field a half-decent candidate, have more than just a chance at winning the seat back in 2020. In many ways, for the national party, Moore's defeat is a blessing. Can you imagine the attack ads during the mid-terms had he won? He'd have been a total liability. The state party just comes out of this unnecessary election looking incredibly stupid. Whether they'll be wise enough to learn their lesson is up to them.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/744/748/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/A346/E170/E175/E190
 
tommy1808
Posts: 7708
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:09 am

KLDC10 wrote:
Can you imagine the attack ads during the mid-terms had he won? He'd have been a total liability. .


i´d assume the GOP is somewhere between "oh sh*t" and a sigh of relieve ....

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
KLDC10
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:13 am

tommy1808 wrote:
KLDC10 wrote:
Can you imagine the attack ads during the mid-terms had he won? He'd have been a total liability. .


i´d assume the GOP is somewhere between "oh sh*t" and a sigh of relieve ....

best regards
Thomas


I would imagine closer to the latter. It's certainly a blow, and a reminder that they cannot just field any old candidate in a deep red state and expect to win, but in the long-term it's probably better for them. Both in Alabama, with its strong conservative leanings, and also in the mid-terms. Mitch McConnell was clear that he didn't want Moore in the Senate - and for good reason. And it probably wouldn't have been long before he tried to erect a pair of giant tablets bearing the 10 Commandments on the National Mall in place of the Washington Monument :duck:
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/744/748/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/A346/E170/E175/E190
 
salttee
Posts: 2331
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:26 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:22 am

seahawk wrote:
Trolling is imho posting something false or attacking other posters and not simply taking a different viewpoint.

A more accurate definition: to make deliberately misleading or provocative posts for the purpose of upsetting someone, or to sidetrack a conversation.

To me, a dead indicator is when someone posts something they don't believe in order to churn the conversation.

In any event, you're far from being the worst here IMO, so please don't take offense.
 
User avatar
seahawk
Posts: 6539
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:27 am

NIKV69 wrote:
seahawk wrote:
Surprising but positive outcome. Maybe it will help to turn the Republican party away from the fringe candidates and extreme right influence.


I don't understand why Trump even got involved with Bannon. I knew the moment he didn't hire Newt to be Chief of staff he would be in trouble,


Yes, the party must move back to the middle. If anything left of Breitbart becomes fake news you are moving in the wrong direction. If a guy who wants to remove the rights of women and coloured people runs for a senate position you have lost it and your party is no longer the protector of the constitution but a danger to it.

salttee wrote:
A more accurate definition: to make deliberately misleading or provocative posts for the purpose of upsetting someone, or to sidetrack a conversation.

To me, a dead indicator is when someone posts something they don't believe in order to churn the conversation.
In any event, you're far from being the worst here IMO, so please don't take offense.


No offence taken. I value such feedback and will try to make my posts more clear. I guess something that is obviously ironic here might not be so in the US, where the opinion might be much more common. I´ll try to remember that.
 
User avatar
Goodyear
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:25 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:01 am

KLDC10 wrote:
Can you imagine the attack ads during the mid-terms had he won? He'd have been a total liability. The state party just comes out of this unnecessary election looking incredibly stupid. Whether they'll be wise enough to learn their lesson is up to them.


The Republican Party is dying a slow, painful death. This is another nail in the coffin. The attack ads will come anyway. The entire GOP threw its full weight and credit behind Moore. This isn't over yet; all of them will be tarred and feathered for having supported this man, and I look forward to the blue wave that's coming in 2018. I also hope the likes of Flake, Collins, etc. all dump the GOP brand and all run as independents in their states and caucus with the Democrats.
 
Ken777
Posts: 9547
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:39 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:10 am

seahawk wrote:

Yes, the party must move back to the middle. If anything left of Breitbart becomes fake news you are moving in the wrong direction. If a guy who wants to remove the rights of women and coloured people runs for a senate position you have lost it and your party is no longer the protector of the constitution but a danger to it.




By 2020 the average American will be fully aware of just how bad the GOP screwed them with tax cuts. Might even swing the vote enough to shift power in 2018.

In addition, mothers with children under 18 in the home voted for Jones - 66% to 32%. That should scare moderate Republicans because Trump is just as bad, or worse. He called his bus tape as Locker Room Talk but those mothers know if was Locker Room Bragging.

Blacks also now know that they can start winning when they get organized.

All kinds of changes today and it will take a while to go through the data, but I believe the Democrats will be feeling pretty good about future elections.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 11694
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:24 am

Goodyear wrote:
The Republican Party is dying a slow, painful death. This is another nail in the coffin. The attack ads will come anyway. The entire GOP threw its full weight and credit behind Moore. This isn't over yet; all of them will be tarred and feathered for having supported this man, and I look forward to the blue wave that's coming in 2018. I also hope the likes of Flake, Collins, etc. all dump the GOP brand and all run as independents in their states and caucus with the Democrats.


They can't caucus with Dems or they will lose when they have to run for re-election. Collins crosses party lines on certain things but will never go full blown Dem because the far left whacks run the show. If she does that they will primary her and put someone else in.
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!
 
tommy1808
Posts: 7708
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:47 am

NIKV69 wrote:
the far left


how far to the right someone is, is readily apparent when people think there is such a thing as a "far left" in the country, at least somewhere in the political infrastructure..

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
NIKV69
Posts: 11694
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:14 am

tommy1808 wrote:
how far to the right someone is, is readily apparent when people think there is such a thing as a "far left" in the country, at least somewhere in the political infrastructure..

best regards
Thomas


Yes I know I voted for a Dem Governor, am socially liberal but I am far right. :footinmouth:

Keep thinking the way you do, It's why Trump won and probably how he will retain the majority and win a second term.
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!
 
tommy1808
Posts: 7708
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:19 am

NIKV69 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
how far to the right someone is, is readily apparent when people think there is such a thing as a "far left" in the country, at least somewhere in the political infrastructure..

best regards
Thomas


Yes I know I voted for a Dem Governor, am socially liberal but I am far right. :footinmouth: .


not because of who you vote for, your social liberalism is plain obvious by the way you trash the give it to the rich "thank you for bribing me, please keep doing that" tax bill all the freaking time.

Sanders is about as far left as democrats can go, and by standards outside the US that means you can only vote right, since he wouldn´t count as left of center in many places.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 10041
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:23 am

NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
For the love of...

Just because someone has a (D) behind their name does not make them "liberal." To you all, the only thing that makes someone "liberal" is not agreeing with Fox or Breitbart or tRump or McConnell or the GOP as a whole. He is just a touch to the left of McCain. That does not make him "liberal" by any means.


I didn't say he was Liberal I said how Liberal he votes. Meaning the next two years. Read my posts before you respond. He has to run again in 2020 and his voting record will be scrutinized. If he lets Schumer bully him into towing the line then he will be a liberal.


Well there won't be any "liberal" laws to vote on, so he will just have to say yes or no to GOP proposals. GOP proposals that even many in the GOP disagree with.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Topic Author
Posts: 6326
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:11 am

Jetty wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
You CLEARLY didn't read the whole post or else you would have seen the disclaimer at the top before the fake Tweet. :roll:

I should have included that indeed. Your predication was way off nonetheless.

And you think I was actually pining for him to have that as a first Tweet? That I was waiting on Twitter for his first Tweet after the election? You need to get a life and learn to joke every now and then.

DIRECTFLT wrote:
After all votes are counted, then, if the difference is close enough, the state law mandates a recount.
The law dictates that a recount be enacted when the margin in 0.5% or less. The current margin is 1.5%, so it'll be tough for Moore to argue the final numbers. Interesting thing is that if the situation had been reversed, Moore and Republicans would be telling Jones to give it up, and have the SoS certify the results without delay.

skyservice_330 wrote:
Some people actually pay attention to, or care about, what Charles Barkley has to say about politics. How sad.
Well, they elected a NY celebrity president so anything goes.

Tugger wrote:
I can't get that some people are this lacking of knowledge. It just stuns me.
I LOVED his face. He was flabbergasted. "I know Donald Trump did it"...and as they're signing off it's almost like he did a suicide bombing mission by saying "Merry Christmas, Jake", though you could tell he wasn't sincere in his holiday wishes.

tommy1808 wrote:
Well, he has to come to grips with the fact that the voice in his head telling him to run, win and make America God´s no kingdom wasn´t god, but simple insanity.

So now he has to decide weather a) he is insane or b) his god is powerless. Hard choice.
#TheLordWorksInMysteriousWays

You would think losing the election would be God saying "no"...but notice how Christians always turn it around and wait for another message because God ALWAYS says "yes" one way or another, never "no".

KLDC10 wrote:
Can you imagine the attack ads during the mid-terms had he won? He'd have been a total liability.
The fact that a lot of high-profile candidates will be aligned with Bannon and Trump is liability enough. Having both of them (and the RNC) get behind Moore for the sake of a vote means that a lot of Republicans running with Trump's support will have a hard time during the campaigns.

NIKV69 wrote:
They can't caucus with Dems or they will lose when they have to run for re-election. Collins crosses party lines on certain things but will never go full blown Dem because the far left whacks run the show. If she does that they will primary her and put someone else in.
I REALLY don't think Mainers will mind if Collins joins the Democrats in their caucus but as a Republican. The reason both she and Snowe won Senate elections in a region that trended strongly towards Democrats is their willingness to be moderates and vote against their party. It's for the same reason that as recent as 2010, AR had two Democrat senators in a region that has trended strongly towards Republicans (they were their own kind of Senators).

Flake is retiring and unless he's hoping for a bigger office (like POTUS in 2020 or 2024) he stands to lose nothing by joining the Democrats' caucus. And IF he is planning higher office, having crossed over helps him with moderate/independent voters and may help him in a state that is projected to become a battleground over the next decade or so.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
User avatar
flyingturtle
Posts: 5380
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:22 am

salttee wrote:
seahawk wrote:
I find it an interesting mental practice to debate while defending a standpoint that differs from my own. It helps to understand the motivation behind those standpoints.
In other words, you like to troll internet forums.

I've always wondered what was up with you and your weird posts.


I do the same as seahawk. But alone. All for myself. As preparation for the actual debate.


In other news:

I am 1000% sure GOD will reveal his true choice in time! He will intercede! A narrow margin can't be the end! That's why I'm not conceding to this lawyerly upstart!


David
Last edited by flyingturtle on Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.
 
User avatar
flyingturtle
Posts: 5380
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:24 am

PLZ deleeet, I mad sum sirius mistek


David
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 7708
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:37 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
but notice how Christians always turn it around and wait for another message because God ALWAYS says "yes" one way or another, never "no".


Of course, plenty of "Christians" like should-be-stoned-to-death-according-to-the-book-she-claims-to-follow serial adulterer Kim Davis.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Posts: 4410
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:52 am

KLDC10 wrote:
I would imagine closer to the latter. It's certainly a blow, and a reminder that they cannot just field any old candidate in a deep red state and expect to win, but in the long-term it's probably better for them.


That's true for Alabama for sure, where any other half-decent GOP candidate would have easily won, but probably not at the national level. The GOP has been playing this dangerous game since they sided with Trump last year. They rode the populist wave as they eventually found out it was the only way they could win. In their defense, it has worked as after 1 year of Trump as President, nothing seems too outrageous or ridiculously contemptible to defend and they keep getting away with it. Their most important goal is to push the agenda of those who fund them at any cost.

McConnell might have hated the guy viscerally, and he might have said that he would work to kick him out if he was elected, but at the end of the day, when Trump sounded the charge, he and the rest of the GOP all fell in line and more or less discreetly, or at least tacitly, endorsed Moore, because guaranteeing their tax cut for the rich is far more important to them than any moral issue.

Playing the game of lining up behind the candidates who scream the loudest, regardless of how horrifying their message is, might not turn out to be a very sustainable strategy for them in the longer term. They might have benefited from a guy who managed to bamboozle half the nation combined with the overall public's distaste for Hillary Clinton, but actions speak louder than words, and the true nature of this government is becoming clear. The Republicans losing AL was unthinkable just a year ago, and it is a clear sign that the part of the nation that is not passionate at all about Trump and the new direction this government is taking (i.e. the majority of the country) is starting to mobilize against him. I'd put this defeat squarely in the hands of Trump himself... It's the second losing AL senatorial candidate he endorsed in a row.

I think the message is that the GOP is going to have to distance itself from candidates like Moore and the like and go back towards being more mainstream. The problem with this is that this would also mean distancing themselves from Trump and his cohort of detestable sidekicks, and reverting back towards all of the bland and tasteless candidates the like of whom never really made it anywhere in the primaries.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.
 
User avatar
flyingturtle
Posts: 5380
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:01 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Of course, plenty of "Christians" like should-be-stoned-to-death-according-to-the-book-she-claims-to-follow serial adulterer Kim Davis.


The German theologian Bonhoeffer would put all those cheap "born again Christians" to shame. He refused escaping the concentration camp, because it would have endangered others. He was executed days before WW 2 ended.

https://relevantmagazine.com/culture/bo ... fer-quotes

I do not dare to call myself a Christian; I'm a compassionate atheist. But he defined what being a Christian means. When Christ calls you, he begs you to die. To give up your petty life, and change it.

Take that, Roy S. Moore and your followers.


David
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 16370
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:04 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
KLDC10 wrote:
Can you imagine the attack ads during the mid-terms had he won? He'd have been a total liability. .


i´d assume the GOP is somewhere between "oh sh*t" and a sigh of relieve ....

best regards
Thomas

I was kinda looking forward to Ryan & McConnell choking on Moore's christian valuez, but sending Moore to crawl back into his rat hole is good too. Plus the republian and evangelical endorsement of a child molester whose bigoted views would have stuck out like a sore thumb in the 50s is a stain that won't wash off for a long time.

NIKV69 wrote:
Charles Barkley just said Alabama has rednecks and ignorant people. How rich.

Also: water wet. The revelation would be Alabama having intelligent life.
E pur si muove -Galileo
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 5684
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:28 pm

Glad Alabama voters settled this for once. I suppose they are wiser than what others thought.

GOP lost one Senate seat and CNN lost 1000s of hours of coverage
 
tommy1808
Posts: 7708
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:30 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
KLDC10 wrote:
Can you imagine the attack ads during the mid-terms had he won? He'd have been a total liability. .


i´d assume the GOP is somewhere between "oh sh*t" and a sigh of relieve ....

best regards
Thomas

I was kinda looking forward to Ryan & McConnell choking on Moore's christian valuez, but sending Moore to crawl back into his rat hole is good too. Plus the republian and evangelical endorsement of a child molester whose bigoted views would have stuck out like a sore thumb in the 50s is a stain that won't wash off for a long time..


I do wonder if that means that more republicans will opt to stay home when Trump is up for reelection. If they find one set of accusations plausible, why not another one and stay home.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
User avatar
flyingturtle
Posts: 5380
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:52 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
Also: water wet. The revelation would be Alabama having intelligent life.


I disagree. I'm pretty sure there are at least some cats and dogs in Alabama.


David
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:25 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
I´d assume the GOP is somewhere between "oh sh*t" and a sigh of relief ....

I do wonder if that means that more republicans will opt to stay home when Trump is up for reelection. If they find one set of accusations plausible, why not another one and stay home.

best regards
Thomas


Roy Moore was monolithically attacked attacked every day in every MSM news cycle and late nite and daytime shows for what seemed like months.

That will be impossible to do to a host of 'R' candidates and incumbents for the upcoming 2018 elections.

President Trump did not put his *full* weight behind Roy Moore, to the point of having rallies for him in Alabama.

For the 2018 elections, you can be sure that the President will in attendance at many rallies for key elections.

But... the MSM will be having a massive echo chamber circle jerk today, about not only about the defeat of Roy Moore, but about the presumed fall of the entire Republican Party.... But that's simply not going to happen. To base those predictions on this highly unusual Senate race is absurd. But... the Dems will party like it's 1999.....

I feel like I'm Chevy Chase and the Liberals are Jane Curtin on the set of Weekend Update.

They go first, predicting the gloom and doom for all things Republican, and their irrational exuberance for the 'return' of the Democratic Party.

Then I respond, "Jane, you ignorant slut!!...."
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:25 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
I´d assume the GOP is somewhere between "oh sh*t" and a sigh of relief ....

I do wonder if that means that more republicans will opt to stay home when Trump is up for reelection. If they find one set of accusations plausible, why not another one and stay home.

best regards
Thomas


Roy Moore was monolithically attacked attacked every day in every MSM news cycle and late nite and daytime shows for what seemed like months.

That will be impossible to do to a host of 'R' candidates and incumbents for the upcoming 2018 elections.

President Trump did not put his *full* weight behind Roy Moore, to the point of having rallies for him in Alabama.

For the 2018 elections, you can be sure that the President will in attendance at many rallies for key elections.

But... the MSM will be having a massive echo chamber circle jerk today, about not only the defeat of Roy Moore, but about the presumed fall of the entire Republican Party.... But that's simply not going to happen. To base those predictions on this highly unusual Senate race is absurd. But... the Dems will party like it's 1999.....

I feel like I'm Chevy Chase and the Liberals are Jane Curtin on the set of Weekend Update.

They go first, predicting the gloom and doom for all things Republican, and their irrational exuberance for the 'return' of the Democratic Party.

Then I respond: "Jane, you ignorant slut!!...."
Last edited by DIRECTFLT on Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
tommy1808
Posts: 7708
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:31 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Roy Moore was monolithically attacked attacked every day in every MSM news cycle and late nite and daytime shows for what seemed like months.


as long as Breitbart and Fox don´t chime in, i don´t see how it is relevant.

On top of that it is a bit like complaining Osama Bin Ladin was as monolithically attacked attacked every day in every MSM news cycle and late nite and daytime shows for what seemed like years.

A rapist does only deserve to be left alone by media after he served his time. The rapist can still sue his accusers for libel and clear his name, as he said he would do iirc, and just as reliably won´t, since it is true word for word.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:51 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
Roy Moore was monolithically attacked attacked every day in every MSM news cycle and late nite and daytime shows for what seemed like months.


as long as Breitbart and Fox don´t chime in, i don´t see how it is relevant.

On top of that it is a bit like complaining Osama Bin Ladin was as monolithically attacked attacked every day in every MSM news cycle and late nite and daytime shows for what seemed like years.

A rapist does only deserve to be left alone by media after he served his time. The rapist can still sue his accusers for libel and clear his name, as he said he would do iirc, and just as reliably won´t, since it is true word for word.

best regards
Thomas


Fixated much ??
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
jetero
Posts: 2813
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:00 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
After all votes are counted, then, if the difference is close enough, the state law mandates a recount.
The law dictates that a recount be enacted when the margin in 0.5% or less. The current margin is 1.5%, so it'll be tough for Moore to argue the final numbers. Interesting thing is that if the situation had been reversed, Moore and Republicans would be telling Jones to give it up, and have the SoS certify the results without delay.


DF still expects them to find a way SOMEHOW, as is evidenced by his vote counter. Can't win elections without outright, party-sanctioned lying, race-baiting, and religion-baiting, and when that doesn't work you have to advocate for a recount by Grandpa KKK McAlzheimer's.

You're absolutely disgusting. You don't give two sh*ts about democracy, simply a stooge from Bannon's "Faux Victims / Lie, Cheat, Steal / At Any Cost" Republican brownshirts.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 7708
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:03 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Fixated much ??


not everybody is as Downy Ultrasoft on crime like you. Or is just rape ok for you?

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aerlingus747, afcjets, bagoldex, Cerecl, dragon6172, fr8mech, Freakysh, Pellegrine, phatfarmlines and 38 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos