bmacleod
Posts: 2962
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2001 3:10 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:13 pm

bmacleod wrote:
Anyone who thinks Alabama's 'Red State' status is locked in for foreseeable future is in for big surprise.

Not saying it will follow what happened in MA in 2010 but many thought MA was a reliably safe blue state for both Congress and POTUS.

It still is...but anything can happen. Like Scott Brown in 2010 don't count out Doug Jones on Dec 12.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_special_election_in_Massachusetts,_2010


I said it could happen and it did. And Doug Jones seems a better candidate than Scott Brown and have a better chance at re-election in 2020.
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus
 
jetero
Posts: 2745
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:21 pm

bmacleod wrote:
I said it could happen and it did. And Doug Jones seems a better candidate than Scott Brown and have a better chance at re-election in 2020.


I would have to concede that that is, unfortunately, probably a bridge too far. But if he remains very active back home, perhaps it's marginally possible.

(Maybe Ol' Roy will run again?) GO GET 'EM, ROY!!!!!

Image
 
bmacleod
Posts: 2962
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2001 3:10 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:03 pm

jetero wrote:
bmacleod wrote:
I said it could happen and it did. And Doug Jones seems a better candidate than Scott Brown and have a better chance at re-election in 2020.


I would have to concede that that is, unfortunately, probably a bridge too far. But if he remains very active back home, perhaps it's marginally possible.

(Maybe Ol' Roy will run again?) GO GET 'EM, ROY!!!!!

Image


:rotfl: A Dog for US Senate? Could happen.... a dog ran for mayor in St John's NF...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/dog-runs-for-mayor-1.4284381
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 7610
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:14 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Roy Moore was monolithically attacked attacked every day in every MSM news cycle and late nite and daytime shows for what seemed like months.

It most certainly was not media or anything like that that defeated Moore. It wasn't a liberal attack (or Republican), it was God! Moore himself stated
"We also know that God is always in control."

https://www.christianpost.com/news/demo ... ol-209995/

So it was God who did not want Moore to win, it was God that conspired against Moore to deny him a seat in the Senate.

God does not like Roy Moore. (I wonder if he actually understands that?)

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner
 
User avatar
flyingturtle
Posts: 5366
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:57 pm

Tugger wrote:
So it was God who did not want Moore to win, it was God that conspired against Moore to deny him a seat in the Senate.

God does not like Roy Moore. (I wonder if he actually understands that?)

Tugg



But God works in ways mere humans cannot understand!

Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps, possibly, maybe, God will reward Moore in the very long run..

To the steadfast believer, every failure is a victory in disguise, every punishment a honor.


David
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.
 
seb146
Posts: 16623
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:06 pm

Why all the crying from the right about how they were wronged and it is everyone else's fault and the system is rigged and MSM is out to get them, etc? Maybe the people of Alabama know Roy Moore much better than the rest of us and the people of Alabama voted for the lesser of two evils? Maybe, when all is said and done, the people of Alabama did what is right for the people of Alabama?
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter
 
bagoldex
Posts: 631
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:33 pm

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:10 pm

bmacleod wrote:
bmacleod wrote:
Anyone who thinks Alabama's 'Red State' status is locked in for foreseeable future is in for big surprise.

Not saying it will follow what happened in MA in 2010 but many thought MA was a reliably safe blue state for both Congress and POTUS.

It still is...but anything can happen. Like Scott Brown in 2010 don't count out Doug Jones on Dec 12.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_special_election_in_Massachusetts,_2010


I said it could happen and it did. And Doug Jones seems a better candidate than Scott Brown and have a better chance at re-election in 2020.


I lived in Boston at the time and followed the race closely. Martha Coakley was probably the least enticing candidate I've ever voted for. She had been an excellent DA and AG but she had no personality nor any interest in pressing the flesh in person.
 
petertenthije
Posts: 3532
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2001 10:00 pm

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:17 pm

Tugger wrote:
So it was God who did not want Moore to win, it was God that conspired against Moore to deny him a seat in the senate

It makes sense for God to work against republicans.

I mean, the USA always claims to be God’s country.
Christ is apparantly due to return, presumably to the USA since it is God’s country.
Christ will apparantly return through immaculate reception.
Therefor, there will have to be some virgins left in the USA in order for Christ to return.

Ergo: God has to limit the power of republicans.

;)
Attamottamotta!
 
seb146
Posts: 16623
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:23 pm

Here comes the drum beat of "We Republicans know what is best for America!"

http://verifiedpolitics.com/mitch-mccon ... -tax-vote/
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 2936
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:44 pm

this senate seat went to the Dems for one reason and the GOP voters need only to look in the mirror for whom to blame - they themselves chose this despicable man over another candidate in the primary. Had they come to their senses sooner, there is no way in the world they'd have lost this seat to a Democrat. Here's hoping Moore fades into obscurity quickly.
 
LMP737
Posts: 5425
Joined: Wed May 08, 2002 4:06 pm

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:47 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
I'm looking forward to the speeches in the Senate from Alabama Senator, Roy Moore !!

I wonder what his first bill will be to introduce on the floor of the US Senate ???


I know you were just trying to be funny and get a reaction out of people. However I have to ask, what exactly did you agree with him on? Was it his claim that the founding fathers only had Christians in mind when it came to the first amendment? His stance on women's rights or that of gay people? Or was it simply because he was a republican?

Not that I'm expecting an honest answer.

P.S. Egg meet face.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 11691
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:03 pm

bmacleod wrote:

I said it could happen and it did. And Doug Jones seems a better candidate than Scott Brown and have a better chance at re-election in 2020.


How can you say that till you see his voting record? He would have lost this election if a ham sandwich ran against him. If he votes with Schumer and Pelosi he will lose in 2020.
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!
 
wingman
Posts: 3335
Joined: Thu May 27, 1999 4:25 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:04 pm

bagoldex wrote:
Martha Coakley was probably the least enticing candidate I've ever voted for. She had been an excellent DA and AG but she had no personality nor any interest in pressing the flesh in person.


It's an interesting comment and a topic I've been discussing a lot recently. It harkens back to GOP voter sentiments about Bush Jr and how he was a guy they'd want to have at their BBQ. Me too, just not in the White House. Same goes for Clinton vs Trump, or any other like decision and whether it's for POTUS, CEO or Mars Expedition Commander. We need to get away from criteria that puts so much emphasis on personality in such critical leadership roles. Cool, affable and slap stick dudes don't run aircraft carriers or Apple, why should we insist on these qualities in government? Trump's not even cool on Reality TV but people keep saying they like him because he says whatever's on his mind. But when what's on his mind is despicable ignorance and emotional retardation, what is there to respect about it?

In a CEO I want return on my equity and in government I want deal-makers, consensus-builders and people I respect as representing the United States in front of our allies and adversaries. If you get 2 out 3 you're lucky. Trump is batting .000. He's just an epic POS.
 
bennett123
Posts: 8065
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:06 pm

As an outsider, just one question;

Why did the Republicans select this guy as their candidate?.

Were there no other contenders?.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 11691
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:13 pm

bennett123 wrote:
As an outsider, just one question;

Why did the Republicans select this guy as their candidate?.

Were there no other contenders?.


They didn't pick him. The primary consisted of Alabama Republicans pulled right by Bannon. In a general things are much different. The GOP wanted Luther Strange who would have won the general handily.
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!
 
727LOVER
Posts: 7686
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2001 12:22 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:16 pm

Wonder how these folks are feeling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjLMAoejW-A
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
 
apodino
Posts: 3260
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:11 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:23 pm

apodino wrote:
7. This is yet another political race in this country where there are no good choices. In the presidential Election Hillary and Trump were the nominees and neither one deserved the job. In this race, you have a guy that imo would not represent the same values of AL voters, and a guy who is not qualified for the job. In the 1994 VA senate race, you had a Dem in a scandal over an affair with a beauty pageant contestant taking on a republican who lied a senate Committee under oath and was seeking election to that very body. You get candidates like these because good selfless people wont run because of the emotional abuse they would take from all the negative ads and publicity that comes with the Job. So you get races with no one qualified for the office and no other choices. IMO this is why, as WarRIi put it earlier in this thread, we have a 20 percent voter turnout. And both political parties designed it that way intentionally IMO.

I kinda take issue with this. What is it about Jones that makes him "unqualified" for the office other than being a Democrat in a ruby-red state or a bad candidate? If he had been his own brand of Democrat (pro-life, Christian, heterosexual marriage), there would still be complaints on how he doesn't fit the national mold or he doesn't fit the AL brand of politicians.

Unlike the presidential primaries, this primary was as straightforward as could be. Round one: if no ones reaches 50%, a run-off round happens with the top two. Moore won fair and square. Same on the Democrats' side. The whole thing about politics is that you'll seldom get the perfect candidate so you either go with the 70-90% you can get or you lose. It's likely the reason why Republicans hold a tight grip on a lot of seats: GOP voters know that even though their preferred candidate lost in the primary, they can get around the winner who will get them more than 50% of what the want as opposed to Democrats who if their preferred candidate loses, they'll sit out or vote against the winner.[/quote]
I didn't say that Jones was not qualified to serve as a senator. Of the two candidates he was by far the more qualified person to serve. What I simply said was that because Alabama is a very conservative state, and Jones is by all indications very liberal on a lot of issues, Jones would have a difficult time representing the interests of Alabama in the senate as well as the values of most AL voters. This is why a lot of GOP voters either stayed at home or cast write in votes in this election. All things being considered though, I still believe that the voters of AL did the right thing. I don't agree with Jones at all politically, but Moore has no business in public office, and if you follow these threads I said this after he got the nomination even before the allegations came out.

One thing I am sick of though is what you alluded to, cookie cutter politicians, who have to check every box on their parties platform or else the party doesn't welcome them. This attitude has actually kept the Democrats from making inroads into the south. I know a lot of people personally who would pull the lever for Democrats if they were pro life on the abortion issue. These people share a lot of other political views with the democrats, but the life issue is big with them, and these are votes the Democrats are leaving on the table. But if they compromised on these candidates, the party insiders from the Northeast and California would scream murder. Look what happened in one mayors race in Nebraska? Likewise, there are plenty of fiscally conservative republicans who are very sympathetic to LGBT issues and are very libertarian in their thinking, and could probably do well in Blue areas like New Hampshire or Maine, or some other blue state. Some of these guys do win and are popular. Look at the people who have served as Governor of Massachusetts. In the past 25 years, only one democrat, Deval Patrick, has held this office. And the republican governors who get elected often enjoy the highest approval ratings of any governor. Look at Bill Weld during his time as Governor. (The libertarian party really screwed up by putting Johnson and not him at the top of the ticket) Look at Charlie Baker now. That said, often if these guys run for office they get tagged as RINOs and get no support.

You are right though....Moore did win the nomination fair and square. I get why it happened. The GOP base is sick of the DC Establishment and Mitch McConnell and they thought that in a deep red state the GOP primary was the default general election. They wanted to stick it to these people. However, because of their blind emotional hatred, they didn't take as close a look at Moore as they should have and nominated him out of emotion rather than Logic. If they had been familiar with history, they would have seen Sharon Angle, Christine O'Donnell, Todd Akin, and Richard Mourduck. These were all very similar nominations by GOP parties, and in every case by nominating a whacko, they gave away seats they had no business losing. (In O'Donnell's case, Michael Castle was about as much a slam dunk for Republicans as you get) I agree with the thinking about McConnell and the establishment. But you address that by running smart, quality candidates for these offices. In this case, a Whacko was run.
 
apodino
Posts: 3260
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:11 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:43 pm

Some thoughts on last night.

1. Although the Republicans lost the seat last night, this is going to benefit them more long term than it hurts them. Having a guy like Moore in your caucus is just asking for trouble, and Moore would have been a big distraction. No one will say it publicly but I am sure that just about every member of the Senate GOP caucus was secretly thrilled with what happened last night.

2. It will be interesting to see what approach Jones takes in the senate. He is known as a liberal, but he knows he is up for reelection in three years, and he knows that AL is a conservative state. Will he become a moderate in the Senate and work across the aisle as he campaigned he would do or will he be a lock step in line vote with Schumer?

3. Bannon is now irrelevant and should no longer have any influence in the republican party. Breitbart is going to lose a lot as a result. I think Andrew is spinning in his grave right now.

4. Republicans are going to have to figure out a way to reach Black and Hispanic voters going forward and also Women. If I were the republican party, I would be giving a more prominent role to people like Tim Scott, Mia Love, and Shelly Moore Caputo. I would also be trying my darndest to make sure Marsha Blackburn gets the GOP nomination for the TN senate seat, and I would try to find women and Blacks to run for a lot of the contested senate seats.

5. Likewise, the Democratic party cannot continue to take the Black Vote for granted. Yes Trump in the White House helps mobilize them, but at some point results need to happen. We cannot continue to have thousands of blacks killed every year, whether by civilians or police. (Despite the protests, this happened under Obama way before Trump got elected.) We need to rebuild the family in the black community. They need access to better education. (Which is why many people are pitching vouchers). A lot of Blacks are sick of their vote being taken for granted only to have the Democratic party do nothing for them when in office. I feel Obama did more harm than good to the black community. In Chicago, Rahm has been no help to them. At some point people need to go into these areas and try to figure out solutions to problems.

6. Regardless of if a state is Red or Blue, if you nominate a bad candidate you will lose. Look at Martha Coakley, Wendy Davis, and the republicans I mentioned before. for proof.
 
luckyone
Posts: 2482
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:50 pm

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:52 pm

apodino wrote:
You are right though....Moore did win the nomination fair and square. I get why it happened. The GOP base is sick of the DC Establishment and Mitch McConnell and they thought that in a deep red state the GOP primary was the default general election. They wanted to stick it to these people.

You're half right. The GOP base had been beaten to a froth by conservative media for eight years, who made bank on the ugly reality that there are lot of people, particularly in the South, whose already small minds simply exploded at the fact that a black man resided in the White House. Period--any other shortcomings he had was just gravy. These people wanted blood, and they were fed it for eight years. I know because I'm related to quite a few of them, unfortunately. The problem with such tactics is once you've riled up and incited a mob, you can't just douse the flame. They are still baying for blood, and now with Obama out of the picture it's being directed again at the people in charge, lest it consume those who started it.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 7684
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:12 pm

seb146 wrote:
Here comes the drum beat of "We Republicans know what is best for America!"

http://verifiedpolitics.com/mitch-mccon ... -tax-vote/


What a nice way of saying "Alabama electorate, we don't care what your democratic will is".

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 1315
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:19 pm

LMP737 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
I'm looking forward to the speeches in the Senate from Alabama Senator, Roy Moore !!

I wonder what his first bill will be to introduce on the floor of the US Senate ???


I know you were just trying to be funny and get a reaction out of people. However I have to ask, what exactly did you agree with him on? Was it his claim that the founding fathers only had Christians in mind when it came to the first amendment? His stance on women's rights or that of gay people? Or was it simply because he was a republican?

Not that I'm expecting an honest answer.

P.S. Egg meet face.


Excuse me, but I'll wait until all of the votes are counted AND certified, before admitting defeat, for a candidate that would have voted pro-life, and for conservative Supreme Court Nominees.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
727LOVER
Posts: 7686
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2001 12:22 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:43 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
:spin: No just thinking Jones can over come a 40 thousand vote deficit is inane enough. Only thing now is how long CNN will drag this out and not call it. .



CNN called it about 10:30....ya know, when it was over
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
 
LMP737
Posts: 5425
Joined: Wed May 08, 2002 4:06 pm

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:56 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

Excuse me, but I'll wait until all of the votes are counted AND certified, before admitting defeat, for a candidate that would have voted pro-life, and for conservative Supreme Court Nominees.


In other words you're a single issue voter. So you would be perfectly willing to vote for a person who would deny others their rights.

News flash, the republicans are not pro-life. They're pro-birth.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.
 
apodino
Posts: 3260
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:11 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:18 pm

luckyone wrote:
apodino wrote:
You are right though....Moore did win the nomination fair and square. I get why it happened. The GOP base is sick of the DC Establishment and Mitch McConnell and they thought that in a deep red state the GOP primary was the default general election. They wanted to stick it to these people.

You're half right. The GOP base had been beaten to a froth by conservative media for eight years, who made bank on the ugly reality that there are lot of people, particularly in the South, whose already small minds simply exploded at the fact that a black man resided in the White House. Period--any other shortcomings he had was just gravy. These people wanted blood, and they were fed it for eight years. I know because I'm related to quite a few of them, unfortunately. The problem with such tactics is once you've riled up and incited a mob, you can't just douse the flame. They are still baying for blood, and now with Obama out of the picture it's being directed again at the people in charge, lest it consume those who started it.

Truthfully, I don't think Obama being black has anything to do with the anger of these people. If these people hate black people so much, why do they nominate a Black man as the GOP candidate for senate in SC, or why did Carson get so many primary votes in the Election? That being said, the voters that I was talking about don't want the government in charge of healthcare, they are sick of Washington spending more than they take in, they are sick of a 10,000 page tax code with more holes in it than swiss cheese that no one understands, they are sick of porous borders to our country, and they are sick of a perceived threat to 1st amendment freedom of religion. They are sick of GOP politicians who run on trying to fix all these things, then get to Washington and stop representing their people and instead start representing the 11,000 registered lobbyists in DC. They are sick of power being consolidated in Washington in the hands of a few and not residing with the people, and want more power returned to the states as provided in the tenth amendment. They are mad because they perceive the GOP establishment as having no guts and being more eager to keep their jobs than do their jobs.

Scott Rasmussen put out an interesting piece this week on DC Lobbyists. This is the swamp that I think both Democrats and Republicans are sick of, and would like to do away with. This is the biggest reason why so many of us are angry with Washington.
https://www.newsmax.com/us/congress-pharmaceuticals-reform/2017/12/12/id/831387/
 
jetero
Posts: 2745
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:26 pm

LMP737 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

Excuse me, but I'll wait until all of the votes are counted AND certified, before admitting defeat, for a candidate that would have voted pro-life, and for conservative Supreme Court Nominees.


In other words you're a single issue voter. So you would be perfectly willing to vote for a person who would deny others their rights.

News flash, the republicans are not pro-life. They're pro-birth.


You missed something . . .

Pro-white birth.
 
User avatar
cpd
Posts: 5358
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:46 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:35 pm

Is this the same Roy Moore:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... peechless/

I've never seen someone die so badly on TV - the man was absolutely speechless. Surely he must have known the law?

The guy looked so smug and confident as well... I know, I know, the law is an alternative fact or fake news...
 
727LOVER
Posts: 7686
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2001 12:22 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:55 pm

cpd wrote:
Is this the same Roy Moore:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... peechless/

I've never seen someone die so badly on TV - the man was absolutely speechless. Surely he must have known the law?

The guy looked so smug and confident as well... I know, I know, the law is an alternative fact or fake news...


HAHAHA :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I heard about this earlier today. What do you think Jake Tapper meant when he said "Good luck, tonight"
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 10031
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:02 pm

You call yourself pro-life but have no problem with the death penalty, or killer cops.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Topic Author
Posts: 6312
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:09 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Excuse me, but I'll wait until all of the votes are counted AND certified, before admitting defeat, for a candidate that would have voted pro-life, and for conservative Supreme Court Nominees.

Why does this sound so familiar? Could it be because it sounds like "the electors of the Electoral College can still vote against Trump so Clinton can still win"?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
NIKV69
Posts: 11691
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:13 pm

Very interesting that during his presser today Jones was in no rush to be seated. Probably because a no vote on the tax bill would not be so favorable. Going to be an interesting 3 years. He also spoke like a moderate but I doubt he will defy Schumer.
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!
 
jetero
Posts: 2745
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:21 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Very interesting that during his presser today Jones was in no rush to be seated. Probably because a no vote on the tax bill would not be so favorable. Going to be an interesting 3 years. He also spoke like a moderate but I doubt he will defy Schumer.


2 years.

Thankfully Ol' Roy will be spouting his mouth off about his direct line to God for weeks on end, how the whole country is going to hell, and Satan has now taken up residence in Alabama because he didn't win. I wouldn't be surprised if he shows up to take the oath of office because God told him to. If that isn't the true definition of arrogance, a man claiming that he alone can know the way of God and damn everyone else in the process, I'm not sure what is.

Anyway, the contrast to the sensible, thoughtful, well-spoken, and genuine Doug Jones couldn't be more stark. Keep it up, Ol 'Roy!

Image
 
User avatar
flyingturtle
Posts: 5366
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:27 pm

Aesma wrote:
You call yourself pro-life but have no problem with the death penalty, or killer cops.


Because protecting lives after birth doesn't infringe on women's rights. That's why.


David
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Topic Author
Posts: 6312
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:01 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Very interesting that during his presser today Jones was in no rush to be seated. Probably because a no vote on the tax bill would not be so favorable. Going to be an interesting 3 years. He also spoke like a moderate but I doubt he will defy Schumer.

Manchin, Heitkamp, Donnelly, Tester, and McCaskill have at times defied Reid AND Schumer. What makes you think Jones won't?

If I were in the Democratic Senate leadership, I'd welcome Jones to the caucus and let him be his own Senator (which means voting for what he thinks is best). That being said (again, being in leadership), I'll get Durbin to get him to vote in line with Democrats when we need it.

I found Cory Gardner quite hilarious by asking Jones to vote with the Republican majority (i.e. you hail from Alabama so no matter what you HAVE to vote the way a Republican would). Jones knows he would face a VERY tough reelection and I don't think he's gonna put much of a fight to keep the seat unless he delivers for Alabamians (and even then, without the (R), he's nothing), so he loses nothing by remaining loyal to Schumer or openly defying him.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
User avatar
cpd
Posts: 5358
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:46 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:24 am

727LOVER wrote:
cpd wrote:
Is this the same Roy Moore:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... peechless/

I've never seen someone die so badly on TV - the man was absolutely speechless. Surely he must have known the law?

The guy looked so smug and confident as well... I know, I know, the law is an alternative fact or fake news...


HAHAHA :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I heard about this earlier today. What do you think Jake Tapper meant when he said "Good luck, tonight"


Actually, I do remember someone that comes close - it was the Western Sydney conservative candidate for Greenway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrQPXXHUilU

Jaymes Diaz is quizzed about the Coalition's 6 point plan - and dies spectacularly when quizzed aggressively by Channel Ten's reporter. Watch Diaz's minders in the background looking increasing nervous. And then the "heavy" finally pulls the pin on the trainwreck interview.
 
Ken777
Posts: 9545
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:39 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:05 am

Jones will probably be considered a Liberal in Alabama even if he is a Moderate - Alabama doesn't know what a Moderate is, just like the red necks in other Southern states.

Abortion is one of those knee jerk issues for both sides of the aisle. Personally I hate it, but understand that there sill be a lot of women need to have one for health issues. My wife met one on one of those Light The Night fund raisers. She was thrilled to discover that she was pregnant - as was her husband. When. she was ar her fist OB visit they drew blood and she got a call the next morn ing for her to come in that morning and bring her husband.

This lady had an ACUTE blood cancer and needed to stop the pregnancy that day and get onto chemo. My wife had Acute Leukemia (ALL like the kids have) and from the moment the first white turned abnormal she had 4 months to get it into remission. The problem is that there is no way of knowing if you are in month 1 or 4 so everything is immediate.

This lady went through chemo and beat the cancer. At the time she talked to my wife she had already had another child and was looking to the second. I guess the anti-abortionists would prefer that both died.

Hopefully Senator Jones will ensure the lives of these women continue to be protected.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 7684
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:00 am

jetero wrote:
If that isn't the true definition of arrogance, a man claiming that he alone can know the way of God and damn everyone else in the process, I'm not sure what is.


not arrogance, it is a simple mental health issue.

flyingturtle wrote:
Aesma wrote:
You call yourself pro-life but have no problem with the death penalty, or killer cops.


Because protecting lives after birth doesn't infringe on women's rights. That's why.

David


nailed it. It is just and only to get women back under men´s thumb. "Poor people are wasting their money on booze and women", only makes sense if women aren´t people. For today´s republicans they are just sex toys, bearing machines, and if they do have the right to vote, then please be voting cattle and vote as your husband tells you to.

best regars
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
seb146
Posts: 16623
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:12 am

tommy1808 wrote:
nailed it. It is just and only to get women back under men´s thumb. "Poor people are wasting their money on booze and women", only makes sense if women aren´t people. For today´s republicans they are just sex toys, bearing machines, and if they do have the right to vote, then please be voting cattle and vote as your husband tells you to.

best regars
Thomas


You forget that some Republicans don't even want women to vote. They must submit completely to their husbands like the Bible says.
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter
 
User avatar
seahawk
Posts: 6517
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:28 am

The good old times when the US still had slavery and women could not vote - just like Moore said.
 
User avatar
Goodyear
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:25 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:30 am

CNN just aired a video from Roy Moore, who is still refusing to concede the election since absentee and "military ballots" have not been counted yet. By the way, "military ballots" are in fact absentee ballots and these absentee ballots were the first ones counted, as per the AL secretary of state. The result is also outside of the automatic threshold for a recount.

Roy Moore is a classless blowhard. I'm glad he lost.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 7684
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:30 am

seb146 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
nailed it. It is just and only to get women back under men´s thumb. "Poor people are wasting their money on booze and women", only makes sense if women aren´t people. For today´s republicans they are just sex toys, bearing machines, and if they do have the right to vote, then please be voting cattle and vote as your husband tells you to.

best regars
Thomas


You forget that some Republicans don't even want women to vote. They must submit completely to their husbands like the Bible says.


that is why i put "and if they do have the right to vote," .... IF may have been better......

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
User avatar
BobPatterson
Posts: 3416
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:25 am

NIKV69 wrote:
The race is over. Moore has over 50% of the vote with just about half the votes in. Jones can't overcome that. McConnell has 10am meeting tomorrow so they can get this guy removed. At least the seat stays Republican. That is the important thing.

You made Tommy's day (month? year?) with this. And you are obviously showing yourself as a person of good humor.

The Washington Post had an election app running, and updating every minute as precinct results were being reported. When the precincts reporting had reached 50% I noticed that for each increase of 1.0% in precincts the Moore margin increased by about 0.1%. It continued like this until 2/3 of the precincts had reported and Moore was ahead by about 6.5%. That's when I knew that Jones would lose the election and I got ready to go to bed

But first, I got a cup of coffee and, while doing so, I remembered that the last time I did this I woke up in the morning to find Mr. Trump as President-elect.

So, I went back to turn off the computer and discovered that a few percent more precincts had reported and Moore's lead had shrunk to a little over 4%. Looked like the heavily black, 90% dem. precincts were now going into the tally. I watched in awe over the next hour as, slowly, Jones gained the lead.

How I enjoyed that cup of coffee!

We must remember that Mr. Jones 23,000+ margin of victory was enhanced or made possible by the 24,000+ republicans who could not morally support Moore and also could not bring themselves to vote for a democrat. They cast their votes for a meaningless write-in.

They will no doubt be in the democratic column in the next election.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 11691
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:29 am

jetero wrote:
2 years.

Thankfully Ol' Roy will be spouting his mouth off about his direct line to God for weeks on end, how the whole country is going to hell, and Satan has now taken up residence in Alabama because he didn't win. I wouldn't be surprised if he shows up to take the oath of office because God told him to. If that isn't the true definition of arrogance, a man claiming that he alone can know the way of God and damn everyone else in the process, I'm not sure what is.

Anyway, the contrast to the sensible, thoughtful, well-spoken, and genuine Doug Jones couldn't be more stark. Keep it up, Ol 'Roy!


Oh yea 2 years thanks. I have to admit Jones seems like another Joe Manchin and I like him but will he defy Schumer and Murray? Doubtful but time will tell.
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!
 
tommy1808
Posts: 7684
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:51 am

BobPatterson wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
The race is over. Moore has over 50% of the vote with just about half the votes in. Jones can't overcome that. McConnell has 10am meeting tomorrow so they can get this guy removed. At least the seat stays Republican. That is the important thing.

You made Tommy's day (month? year?) with this. And you are obviously showing yourself as a person of good humor.


Day, maybe week. We all get predictions wrong, probably more often than not, but such an absolute statement just took the price. He does in deed take it in good humor.

We must remember that Mr. Jones 23,000+ margin of victory was enhanced or made possible by the 24,000+ republicans who could not morally support Moore and also could not bring themselves to vote for a democrat. They cast their votes for a meaningless write-in..


plus the ones that stayed home instead of voting for Moore. It is good that at least some human decency is still alive.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Topic Author
Posts: 6312
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:45 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
We must remember that Mr. Jones 23,000+ margin of victory was enhanced or made possible by the 24,000+ republicans who could not morally support Moore and also could not bring themselves to vote for a democrat. They cast their votes for a meaningless write-in..


plus the ones that stayed home instead of voting for Moore. It is good that at least some human decency is still alive.

THIS is the main reason Jones won. Black turnout only does so much; college towns swinging to Democrats only go so far. It was overall White turnout that decided the election.

No matter what people think of MSNBC, you can't deny that their election coverage was on point, with Steve Kornacki showing us the different regions of Alabama and how a Jones map would look like. The Black Belt needed boosted turnout and numbers showed the turnout was exactly what was expected: higher than when Obama first ran in 2008. The northern part of the state was solid GOP country (except Huntsville). Moore crushed Jones in many areas with margins as lopsided as 80-20...except turnout was in the 40-50% of 2016 numbers. Suburban counties' margins were far lower than Trump's margins in the state. As such, Jones was able to make up the difference. Coupled with increased Democrat turnout in the Black Belt and college towns swinging wildly to the Democrats, it's not wonder why AP and NYT called the election when the last conservative county in the state reported with city counties still outstanding.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
cledaybuck
Posts: 700
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:07 pm

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:14 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
jetero wrote:
2 years.

Thankfully Ol' Roy will be spouting his mouth off about his direct line to God for weeks on end, how the whole country is going to hell, and Satan has now taken up residence in Alabama because he didn't win. I wouldn't be surprised if he shows up to take the oath of office because God told him to. If that isn't the true definition of arrogance, a man claiming that he alone can know the way of God and damn everyone else in the process, I'm not sure what is.

Anyway, the contrast to the sensible, thoughtful, well-spoken, and genuine Doug Jones couldn't be more stark. Keep it up, Ol 'Roy!


Oh yea 2 years thanks. I have to admit Jones seems like another Joe Manchin and I like him but will he defy Schumer and Murray? Doubtful but time will tell.
No you were right the first time, 3 years. He should be seated in early 2018 with whomever wins the election in 2020 being seated in early 2021.
 
User avatar
zkojq
Posts: 3157
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:19 pm

Credit where credit is due; decent tweet concession from Trump.

seahawk wrote:
Lilienthal wrote:
seahawk wrote:

If you want my viewpoint on internal politics in the USA, sorry I do not have an opinion because I do not care, except from being fascinated by some stand points that seem so 17th century.


You flood this forum day in and day out with posts concerning US-topics, including US politics, most of the time showing strong support for even the most extreme of Trump's positions. And now you all of a sudden don't care and are fascinated by the backwardness of some of it? You gotta admit there's some pretty ridiculous irony in that...


I find it an interesting mental practice to debate while defending a standpoint that differs from my own. It helps to understand the motivation behind those standpoints.


Aaaaah! See I knew that you were much better/smarter than the viewpoints you often argue would suggest.
Most recent planes I've been in: A318 F-GUGQ, A319 F-GRHR, A320ceo D-AIZH, A320neo D-AINE, A330-300 VH-QPD, A350-900 B-LRA, A380-800 D-AIMH, B737-600 LN-RPA, B737-700 OY-JTY, B737-800 LN-NGA, B767-300 ZK-NCI, B777-300 ZK-OKN, B787-9 VH-ZNA, CS100 HB-JBG
 
jetero
Posts: 2745
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:47 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
jetero wrote:
2 years.

Thankfully Ol' Roy will be spouting his mouth off about his direct line to God for weeks on end, how the whole country is going to hell, and Satan has now taken up residence in Alabama because he didn't win. I wouldn't be surprised if he shows up to take the oath of office because God told him to. If that isn't the true definition of arrogance, a man claiming that he alone can know the way of God and damn everyone else in the process, I'm not sure what is.

Anyway, the contrast to the sensible, thoughtful, well-spoken, and genuine Doug Jones couldn't be more stark. Keep it up, Ol 'Roy!


Oh yea 2 years thanks. I have to admit Jones seems like another Joe Manchin and I like him but will he defy Schumer and Murray? Doubtful but time will tell.
No you were right the first time, 3 years. He should be seated in early 2018 with whomever wins the election in 2020 being seated in early 2021.


Basic math skills fail me again!
 
stratosphere
Posts: 1425
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:59 pm

Ken777 wrote:
Jones will probably be considered a Liberal in Alabama even if he is a Moderate - Alabama doesn't know what a Moderate is, just like the red necks in other Southern states.

Abortion is one of those knee jerk issues for both sides of the aisle. Personally I hate it, but understand that there sill be a lot of women need to have one for health issues. My wife met one on one of those Light The Night fund raisers. She was thrilled to discover that she was pregnant - as was her husband. When. she was ar her fist OB visit they drew blood and she got a call the next morn ing for her to come in that morning and bring her husband.

This lady had an ACUTE blood cancer and needed to stop the pregnancy that day and get onto chemo. My wife had Acute Leukemia (ALL like the kids have) and from the moment the first white turned abnormal she had 4 months to get it into remission. The problem is that there is no way of knowing if you are in month 1 or 4 so everything is immediate.

This lady went through chemo and beat the cancer. At the time she talked to my wife she had already had another child and was looking to the second. I guess the anti-abortionists would prefer that both died.

Hopefully Senator Jones will ensure the lives of these women continue to be protected.


That' s my side of the abortion issue as well. I don't like it but there are exceptions especially the health of the mother and rape are two that I can think of. But abortion as a use for birth control or matter of convenience I have an issue with as well as late term abortions unless again mother's life is in danger. But in regards to Jones he is probably a one time thing I doubt he will win any kind of reelection. The only reason he won the seat is because Moore was such a disaster and even then Jones just squeezed by. It is not likely to happen again. I know you liberals think you're on some kind of roll here. I am here to tell you that you are not. Moore is a perv in my opinion especially after some of the statements he made but the timing of all this quite interesting I mean 40 years later? Umm pretty convenient for the democrats I have to say. But still and all I do think he is probably guilty just like I think OJ is guilty. It is what it is. I find it ironic that democrats are taking a moral high ground all of a sudden in regards to sexual harassment but yet champion letting men into women's bathrooms. SMH.
 
jetero
Posts: 2745
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:13 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
jetero wrote:
If that isn't the true definition of arrogance, a man claiming that he alone can know the way of God and damn everyone else in the process, I'm not sure what is.


not arrogance, it is a simple mental health issue.


Does that include the close to 50% of people who believe similarly and voted for him? Well maybe 50% is being generous as being equally delusional. But certainly 50% of the 50%.
 
jetero
Posts: 2745
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: Moore wins in AL runoff. What next?

Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:15 pm

stratosphere wrote:
I find it ironic that democrats are taking a moral high ground all of a sudden in regards to sexual harassment but yet champion letting men into women's bathrooms. SMH.


Boy do you have a great issue on the policy issues of the day.

How about not projecting what you obviously want to do, Stratosphere? I can only imply that if we let you into a women's restrooms you'd go an a rape spree with your line of thinking. Sadly, typical male:

"Women are temptresses, so let's make them cover themselves from head to toe and not go anywhere unescorted."

"Women are whores so of course they'd use abortion for birth control."

When will you men realize you're really talking about yourselves?

In any case, Strato, what exactly would you do if a Caitlin Jenner entered the men's bathroom? I can only guess. You'd be OK with that, I'm sure.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: casinterest, Gemuser, HELyes, jetero, jpetekyxmd80, ltbewr, WildcatYXU and 12 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos