Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

einsteinboricua

Re: TV-series that went on for too long?

Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:35 pm

The Big Bang Theory has lost its appeal.

Charmed went from three sisters getting used to a new lifestyle to fighting evil to eventually finding love. They stretched it too much.

As a kid, I watched Pokemon...that one needs to die already. There's nothing different. Early on it's was cool...but the show was over for me when the trio (Ash, Misty, and Brock) parted ways after the Johto league (we're talking Pokemon Gold and Silver).

Teen Wolf was a show that promised a lot; I stopped watching at the middle of season 3. That show was all over the place; no clear plot.

Family Matters...when the main focus became Steve and Laura, and Jo Marie Payton leaving...the show went on a downward spiral and fast. It had decent and memorable episodes. Such a shame it was never given a proper ending (the series was canceled and filming halted before they finished the last few episodes, but Steve and Laura were to be married).

I may be in the minority, but House of Cards needs rescuing. Season 5 left a lot to be desired. If Kevin Spacey's character is killed off and Robin Wright's character is expanded, it may still have one or two seasons in it.

stlgph

Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:06 pm

btw, let's add America's Funniest Home Videos and Dancing with the Stars to the list.

moo

Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:24 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
I may be in the minority, but House of Cards needs rescuing. Season 5 left a lot to be desired. If Kevin Spacey's character is killed off and Robin Wright's character is expanded, it may still have one or two seasons in it.

Well, Netflix has already killed it in the wake of the allegations around Spacey... no more House of Cards.

ER757

Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:10 am

DaveFly wrote:
Whatever anyone’s opinion of Roseanne Barr, the first years of her show were very novel, well-written, and well-performed. Her show was unlike any other we’d seen. The last season was beyond the pale. Are you aware that her show is returning with the original cast, including John Goodman? Apparently, he didn’t die after all!!

All in the Family, for those old enough to remember, was also groundbreaking. But in later seasons, it became formulaic, and Jean Stapleton actually asked the writers to kill off her character. Carroll O’Connor continued on in Archie’s Place, but it was a pale imitation of the former show.

A similar thing happened to the Golden Girls when Bea Arthur decided to leave the show. The other ‘girls’ continued in the Golden Palace, but it didn’t last like long.

For those of you as old as I am, perhaps you remember Bewitched and Lost in Space. Both were quite novel in their first few seasons. But Bewitched lost its first Darrin, and they should’ve stopped there. Lost in Space simply became a parody of a sci-fi series, what with a prancing Dr Smith and a singing robot!

Yeah, Bewitched with Darren #2 lost a lot, no doubt. As for Lost in Space, I thought it was pretty silly right from the get-go, but it was campy fun and worth watching.
Agree with your assessment of All in the Family - good the first few seasons but dragged on far too long

maortega15

Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:16 am

stlgph wrote:
btw, let's add America's Funniest Home Videos and Dancing with the Stars to the list.

Enjoyed it when Bob Saget was the host. Never liked it afterwards.

A host can really make a difference if you like a TV show or not.

bmacleod

Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:40 pm

CSI: 2000-2015 After CSI Miami debuted in 2002 I stopped watching but was still surprised after Miami and NY were cancelled it was still on (original LasVegas).

I still find Simpsons funny thought many may feel it should have been cancelled years ago.

Dallas CBS 1978-1991 - Best season was right after JR was shot. (1980) After Bobby's supposed death in 1985 many viewers were never sold on the "dream season" (1985-1986) and how Bobby was brought back to life - thus many felt it should have been cancelled.

par13del

Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:10 pm

Peyton Place.

moo

Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:15 pm

To throw an odd one into the mix, how about a show which I initially thought should have been cancelled but then was glad it wasn't?

QI, with Stephen Fry - it was getting old and Fry was playing too much on his gay position, as such it was getting stale.

But then Fry quit and was replaced by Sandi Toksvig, a regular panellist on the show, and the show took on a much needed resurgence. Now it's better than it ever was under Fry.

seb146

Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:17 am

Guiding Light. I lost track of Wonder Years. I heard they had a big finish to that show, but no one I know who watched it ever saw the end. Did Kevin marry Winnie? I was shocked that the actor who played the older sister (Olivia D'Abo, I think) is British and faked an American accent.

AAlaxfan

Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:44 am

Saturday Night Live. Was funny when it was a sketch comedy show in it’s early years.

bmacleod

Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:35 pm

Where are daytime soaps in this list?

As the World Turns
General Hospital
Young and Restless
Days of our Lives
One Life to Live

Five listed but at least 6-10 more.....

bmacleod

Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:37 pm

seb146 wrote:
Guiding Light. I lost track of Wonder Years. I heard they had a big finish to that show, but no one I know who watched it ever saw the end. Did Kevin marry Winnie? I was shocked that the actor who played the older sister (Olivia D'Abo, I think) is British and faked an American accent.

Final episode of Wonder Years...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wonder_Years#Final_episode_and_epilogue

seb146

Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:18 pm

bmacleod wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Final episode of Wonder Years...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wonder_Years#Final_episode_and_epilogue

wow. Cool. Thank you!

727LOVER

Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:33 pm

bmacleod wrote:
Where are daytime soaps in this list?

As the World Turns
General Hospital
Young and Restless
Days of our Lives
One Life to Live

Five listed but at least 6-10 more.....

You do realize that there are only 4 daytime soaps left, right?

General Hospital
Days Of Our Lives
The Young & The Restless
The Bold & The Beautiful

I think these shows are different...bring in a new EX P and new writers....a show that is crap, 2 years later can be gold. More interesting than Housewives of wherever/Kardashians.

sevenair

Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:46 am

For me it has to be Benidorm. For me the first 2 series I thought were funny and all I could think was ‘my word, it really IS like Benidorm’ but now it’s just tired and stale. It was hillarious at the start but now I can’t watch it.

Modern family and the Simpsons. Breaking Bad also. Not that many series but they seemed to last a long time. I’ve not seen the simpsons in years.

AbFab is also a bit tired and keeps coming back now and again for the odd one-off. I’m sure the ‘last shout’ was over 15 years ago.

24 - again first few were amazing. Then they became tedious and predictable.

Poirot - I struggle to imagine how the writer had enough years in her life to write them all. Again, tired and predictable.

Bongodog1964

Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:42 pm

Anything with Simon Cowell

ER757

Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:32 am

seb146 wrote:

No, Kevin and Winnie did not get married - in the final voice over the narrator talks about it, mentioning his wife (another woman) and kids. I felt that made the show seem realistic, very few of us end up marrying our first sweetheart. We usually go through break-ups, dating others, drifting apart when we go away to college etc.

Cunard

Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:01 pm

For the United Kingdom it has to be Eastenders a terrible show to watch and has been one from day one.

Quite a few good suggestions of those already mentioned and The Big Bang Theory is a great example but I will go for American Dad its not funny!

910A

Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:36 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
Designated Survivor is moving in this direction IMHO. Other than Kifer Sutherland everyone else on the show is a poor actor.

I have to second this..
Another one is The Last Ship, should have ended after season two.
Law and Order: SUV - Only a shell of what it once was.
Any series on TLC/Bravo etc - should have been dropped after the first week.

Kudos; to TNT for realizing that Major Crimes was starting to lose it spark, and allowing it to go out in style this season.

falstaff

Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:27 pm

The Simpsons has been on way too long. I used to be a huge fan, but since 2000 I haven't watched it much. When show first came on I was slightly older than Bart and my dad was slightly older than homer. Today I'm older than Homer. I knew Homer as guy who went to high school in the 1970s and Bart was a child of the 1980s. Today they are no longer the same characters.

Friends was great until the last season and even there it was still pretty good. I didn't like the introduction of Phoebe's boyfriend; I felt he took away from the other characters. I would have like to seen her and Joey hook up.

M*A*S*H was good to the end, but the show changed dramatically over its run and not everyone liked that.

DaveFly wrote:
. But Bewitched lost its first Darrin, and they should’ve stopped there.

Yes, the show wasn't as good with the second Darrin

notaxonrotax wrote:
"Cheers" went on a little too long, indeed.

After Shelly Long left it was never as good.

bmacleod

Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:39 pm

I haven't watched Grey's Anatomy a while - how's it doing? Must be on Season 14 or 15?

ojjunior

Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:17 am

BartSimpson wrote:
The Simpsons - I stopped watching after the 19th season. Did I miss something?

About 10 seasons now, and still counting...
Afaik the longest living series still on air.
Btw what do you guys think about The XFiles new season starting Jan 18? I loved it!

ojjunior

Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:18 am

910A wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:
Designated Survivor is moving in this direction IMHO. Other than Kifer Sutherland everyone else on the show is a poor actor.

I have to second this..
Another one is The Last Ship, should have ended after season two.
Law and Order: SUV - Only a shell of what it once was.
Any series on TLC/Bravo etc - should have been dropped after the first week.

Kudos; to TNT for realizing that Major Crimes was starting to lose it spark, and allowing it to go out in style this season.

Is major crimes ending after season 6?

seemyseems

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:56 pm

Bongodog1964 wrote:

I agree! Also from the UK, Big Brother and I’m a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here, too long.

Also Lost went on for too long, I found the first series to be pretty good, but I stopped watching shortly after.

moo

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:27 pm

seemyseems wrote:
Bongodog1964 wrote:

I agree! Also from the UK, Big Brother and I’m a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here, too long.

Also Lost went on for too long, I found the first series to be pretty good, but I stopped watching shortly after.

Losts issue was that it never answered many of the burning questions and mysteries it continually created all the way through, and then wrapped the whole thing up in a season on the basis of a single thing introduced in the last episode of the penultimate season. They basically changed the story direction for the last season and ignored most things that went before.

If Lost had stayed on track, and delivered the amazing story we were all told was coming, then it would have gone down in history as one of those shows that ended too early. Instead, it blubbed and died as a show no network wants to do reruns of...

petertenthije

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:37 pm

Stargate SG1, seasons 9 and 10 are completely optional. The main story lines where resolved in season 8. A lot of the main cast had left as well by then.

Babylon 5, this one is a bit hard for me to admit. I love this series. The problem was, this show was designed for 5 seasons. But midway the 4th season it looked highly likely the show would not get a 5th season, because their TV station went bust. So the storyline got condensed, making season 4 very fast moving and action packed. At the very last moment another TV station picked up season 5, but by then the show had resolved the main storylines. It took them half of season 5 to pick up steam again, but the 2nd half of season 5 was quite good again.

The BBC show Spooks (in some markets called "MI5"). It started as a spy show with mostly bottle episodes. Really good stuff. But after a few seasons they went to serialized season-spanning stories, and these stories just went sillier and sillier with each new season.

DarkSnowyNight

Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:19 am

par13del wrote:
Peyton Place.

Trouble in the Suez.

Channex757

Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:48 pm

Bongodog1964 wrote:

Agreed.

Here, The X Factor is dying on the bones of its arse. It costs ITV millions to fund making it and every series shows declining numbers to the point where Strictly Come Dancing often has twice the viewership.

Put it and Cowell out of our misery and for the love of God look for something original!

LMP737

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:04 pm

falstaff wrote:
The Simpsons has been on way too long. I used to be a huge fan, but since 2000 I haven't watched it much. When show first came on I was slightly older than Bart and my dad was slightly older than homer. Today I'm older than Homer. I knew Homer as guy who went to high school in the 1970s and Bart was a child of the 1980s. Today they are no longer the same characters.

I stopped watching them about five years ago. IMO I think Fox keeps them around because they were around at the beginning of the network. I'll still watch the Halloween episodes though.

11725Flyer

Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:45 pm

The Drew Carey Show
West Wing
The Office (After Michael left, it went downhill quickly)

ojjunior

Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:45 pm

Hey folks, what about The X-Files coming back next month?
I loved it! It was one of my first series ever about 20 yrs ago.
Loved they returning with same cast...
Thoughts?

ojjunior

Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:59 pm

LMP737 wrote:
I stopped watching them about five years ago. IMO I think Fox keeps them around because they were around at the beginning of the network. I'll still watch the Halloween episodes though.

True... also believe it's more related to the classical feelings than anything else. Same with The XFiles, it simply don't fit watching Simpsons or The XFiles in another network.

sw733

Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:03 pm

The Walking Dead is perhaps the single best example of this in recent times for me. As echoed before (but I must put in another vote because it's just so bad) - the show used to be phenomenal, but holy cow it is just the same crap over and over and over and over. At least that's what I hear - once they re-did the same plot for the fifth time about three years ago, I just flat out stopped, but my friends who still watch it seem to agree that the same plot has now been re-done for the 18th time.

NIKV69

Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:47 pm

As a huge Curb fan I really hate the new season. I think it was forced and not nearly as good as the previous years.

ER757

Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:35 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
As a huge Curb fan I really hate the new season. I think it was forced and not nearly as good as the previous years.

Yeah, they lost me when Judge Judy was on - a bridge too far. I think HBO threw a load of money at Larry David to do another season and he couldn't so no to that much cash. I agree with you that it looked like his heart wasn't in it this time around.

NIKV69

Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:06 pm

ER757 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Yeah, they lost me when Judge Judy was on - a bridge too far. I think HBO threw a load of money at Larry David to do another season and he couldn't so no to that much cash. I agree with you that it looked like his heart wasn't in it this time around.

Yea it obvious. You just don't get that spontaneity you got with the earlier seasons. It's a shame. Guy is a genius.

TryToFlySomeday

Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:29 am

Spongebob. Can't stand the show, never liked it. For a more unbiased view on why it went on too long. Point: My friends love Season 1 but hate the new seasons.

readytotaxi

Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:37 pm

seb146 wrote:

Her father was Mike D'Abo, singer in the English pop band Manfred Mann late 1960's

WIederling

Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:01 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Her father was Mike D'Abo, singer in the English pop band Manfred Mann late 1960's

Her job is actor. those are paid for faking others in all aspects :-)

envy? Show me some US actors that can fake a good British or other non US accent?

ER757

Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:53 pm

WIederling wrote:
readytotaxi wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Her job is actor. those are paid for faking others in all aspects :-)

envy? Show me some US actors that can fake a good British or other non US accent?

There are quite a few. Meryl Streep for starters. Heck even Mike Meyers can sound Scottish.

WIederling

Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:43 pm

ER757 wrote:
There are quite a few. Meryl Streep for starters. Heck even Mike Meyers can sound Scottish.

Mike Meyers is Canada born to Brit parents. ( CAN, UK and US Citizenships )

What I find interesting is that with US stars ( actors, music ) afaics
Army Brats ( or comparable ) are over represented.

Classa64

Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:10 pm

I stopped watching Big Bang after season 7 or so, I just did not find it funny anymore and there stretching it. I started to watch Rules of Engagement one day and found 7 seasons was enough and it ended well. I still watch All In the Family but not Archie's place, that was a bad idea I think, and the After MASH spin off..Well that was just a stupid idea. Anyone remember The River 1 season with its open ending or Alcatraz, again 1 season and they killed it with no explanation.

ER757

Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:43 am

WIederling wrote:
ER757 wrote:

Mike Meyers is Canada born to Brit parents. ( CAN, UK and US Citizenships )

What I find interesting is that with US stars ( actors, music ) afaics
Army Brats ( or comparable ) are over represented.

Ah yes, you are right, he's Canadian - how silly of me to have forgotten - too much of the holiday egg nog perhaps. :spin:

WIederling

Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:27 am

ER757 wrote:
too much of the holiday egg nog perhaps. :spin:

Have some more. This is fun.

That Canadian Richard "MacGyver" Anderson guy in StarGate was quite the nice counter
to those head in ass military and political bigwigs performing in the show.

Runway28L

Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:23 pm

Walking Dead. Not only with the same storylines, but you can tell that the show's budget gets lower and lower every season. The gunfights and standoffs are so fake and unrealistic it's almost hilarious to watch.

notaxonrotax
Topic Author

Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:58 am

Classa64 wrote:
I started to watch Rules of Engagement one day and found 7 seasons was enough and it ended well. .

Agreed!
Loved that show, but it ran its course.....
Good timing, ending it like they did.

No Tax On Rotax

WarRI1

Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:20 am

As has been mentioned Days of our lives aired in 1965. I have been exposed to this since about 1967-68. I listen to this every night as my wife watch's this faithfully in my reading and computing area.. I vote this as the Champ in the US. I am brain damaged from the exposure. I pray for its demise. :crossfingers:

mdonato545

Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:17 pm

moo wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

Well, Netflix has already killed it in the wake of the allegations around Spacey... no more House of Cards.

I actually would still watch if they expanded Robin Wright's character... Didn't know they were ever considering that. She is so underrated a an actress in my opinion. Sadly I think the show is gone for good.

727LOVER

Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:26 pm

bmacleod wrote:
I haven't watched Grey's Anatomy a while - how's it doing? Must be on Season 14 or 15?

Still going...it's in season 14.....just passed episode 300 plus one more..so now at 301

einsteinboricua

Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:07 pm

727LOVER wrote:
bmacleod wrote:

Still going...it's in season 14.....just passed episode 300 plus one more..so now at 301

I began watching it over the holidays.

MAN! That is a great show, though I know most of the original cast is gone in latter seasons so I hope they make good transitions and bring in decent actors to fill the void. Character and actor reshuffling almost always dooms a series.

mdonato545 wrote:
I actually would still watch if they expanded Robin Wright's character... Didn't know they were ever considering that. She is so underrated a an actress in my opinion. Sadly I think the show is gone for good.
Let's see how Season 6 fares and ends. If Robin Wright truly delivers, there may be a chance that fans may clamor for continued production. I know I would.