Ken777
Topic Author

Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:36 pm

Another Seconds Amendment Event

A shooter (who has now been "taken down") has been shooting in a small town Church - a popular target in the US.

At least 15 injured and multiple deaths.

Time for the NRA to go quiet while they work on a response that sounds reasonable.

Covered by CNN and MSNBC.

KLDC10

Re: Mass Shooting in Southerland Springs TX

Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:43 pm

You could just cover the facts for now as the situation unfolds, rather than jumping to conclusions and rushing to make uninformed statements (and yes, your statements are uninformed because we barely have any information about what has happened). "Another Seconds Amendment" doesn't even make sense as a statement.

The only information at the time of writing is as follows:
- There are multiple casualties, number unconfirmed.
- The gunman is dead
- The police are in control of the scene

We do not know anything about motivation, which you have for some reason chosen to link immediately to the Second Amendment.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/744/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/E175/E190

Mir

Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:47 pm

Hey, the God of Guns has to get his sacrifices somehow, right?

Anyway, the Giants are really sucking today. I mean, the season is over already, but they're just embarrassing themselves. Who would have ever thought that the Jets would be the best NFL team in NYC, and that it wouldn't be particularly close?
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

DLFREEBIRD

Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:25 pm

i am on gun overload, or shooter's overload. i can't bare to watch this on the news anymore. Not saying anything political. i just can't stand to hear about these incidents anymore. I cannot understand why people just don't shut off the news when these incidents happens. Congress will do nothing about it, we can't do anything about it. It's best to ignore these situations.

NoTime

Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:32 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
i am on gun overload, or shooter's overload. i can't bare to watch this on the news anymore. Not saying anything political. i just can't stand to hear about these incidents anymore. I cannot understand why people just don't shut off the news when these incidents happens. Congress will do nothing about it, we can't do anything about it. It's best to ignore these situations.

There's too much political hay to be made. The DNC will fund raise by vowing to fight the NRA. The NRA will fund raise by vowing to fight the gun grabbers.

Kiwirob

Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:39 pm

Woohoo Texas, surely there’s were plenty of right wing bible thumping Baptists packing heat in that church to have taken this sob out before he slaughtered 27 people.

As the NRA mantra goes citizens with guns are the best defence against citizens with guns, being a Baptist church it was surely full of second admendment types armed to the teeth?

scbriml

Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:11 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
Woohoo Texas, surely there’s were plenty of right wing bible thumping Baptists packing heat in that church to have taken this sob out before he slaughtered 27 people.

Yeah, damn that good guy with a gun, he’s never there when you need him.

Not to worry, the Governor of Texas has offered his “Thoughts and prayers” for the victims. :banghead:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

kasimir

Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:13 pm

Another one... Let's see how the right wing media and gun lovers will spin this one ... I guess first of all its too early to talk politics *shakingmyhead*

It's funny to see, how half the US doesn't want to talk about the big elephant in the room that is called gun control or some form of stricter regulations!

After Las Vegas, nothing has been done to regulate bump-stocks.

Anyway... I guess, this is just the price for your freedom...

Kiwirob

Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:38 pm

scbriml wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Not to worry, the Governor of Texas has offered his “Thoughts and prayers” for the victims. :banghead:

And Trump is monitoring the situation, can’t forget about him!!

maortega15

Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:50 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
scbriml wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

And Trump is monitoring the situation, can’t forget about him!!

I thought he was playing golf and exchanging hats with Abe while the wife was looking at pearls?! :duck:

So the terrorist from Uzbekistan kills 8 in New York, while the local terrorist kills 20+ in a church in Texas. Reactions are very different.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Time to implement a travel warning on the United States. :stirthepot:

Tugger

Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:01 pm

Most importantly, you must remember this is all part of God's plan! He has a purpose, he wants people to die in church for the purpose of... the purpose of... well it's a higher purpose and you cannot think that you could know God's min. Just know that He is good, and this had a purpose, and is part of His plan.

My thoughts and condolences to the victims in this attack and their families.

Tugg
Last edited by Tugger on Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

maortega15

Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:01 pm

kasimir wrote:
Another one... Let's see how the right wing media and gun lovers will spin this one ... I guess first of all its too early to talk politics *shakingmyhead*

It's funny to see, how half the US doesn't want to talk about the big elephant in the room that is called gun control or some form of stricter regulations!

After Las Vegas, nothing has been done to regulate bump-stocks.

Anyway... I guess, this is just the price for your freedom...

Freedom ain't free.

BobPatterson

Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:08 pm

Tugger wrote:
Most importantly, you must remember this is all part of God's plan! He has a purpose, he wants people to die in church for the purpose of... the purpose of... well it's a higher purpose and you cannot think that you could know God's min. Just know that He is good, and this had a purpose, and is part of His plan.

Forgive me for thinking that your second paragraph is just as much tongue-in-cheek as is your first paragraph.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

wingman

Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:23 pm

The body count is lame. Texas should be embarrassed.

socalgeo

Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:43 pm

Tugger wrote:

Tugg

You are a vile human being. You and others here are making light of the fact that these victims are christians. You would not have tolerated this kind of gleeful sarcasm after the Pulse nightclub shooting, yet it's ok just because you despise the beliefs of the victims.

Disgusting

DDR

Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:44 pm

Sorry but after all those innocent children were killed at Sandy Hook Elementary, nothing will change. If regulations weren’t changed then...

Mir

Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:50 pm

socalgeo wrote:
You would not have tolerated this kind of gleeful sarcasm after the Pulse nightclub shooting

It's not gleeful. It's factual. We, as a country, do not give a crap about people killed by guns. That has been proven again, and again, and again. It's time to stop lying about it.

salttee

Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:53 pm

We're getting closer to gun control. When the sun goes down tonight, there will certainly be fewer NRA members than when the day started.

ltbewr

Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:57 pm

I know my comment may be seen as difficult to consider, but its far past time if you know of a family member, friend, co-worker, even a neighbor who expresses wanting to kill people, is acquiring guns or other weapons, going to radical extremist organization websites including political and religious one or participating in one, then you have an obligation to society to get them help or report them to the police. In other words, if you see something, say something. It may be the only way to reduce such mass murders like this one today or the one with a truck last week in NYC, recognizing practical reality and the near-impossibility to more strongly regulate access and possession of guns.

socalgeo

Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:58 pm

Mir wrote:
socalgeo wrote:
You would not have tolerated this kind of gleeful sarcasm after the Pulse nightclub shooting

It's not gleeful. It's factual. We, as a country, do not give a crap about people killed by guns. That has been proven again, and again, and again. It's time to stop lying about it.

Bu}}$hit

Calling it "Gods plan" as a sarcastic way to make fun of the victims is anything but factual. It's vile.

scbriml

Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:59 pm

socalgeo wrote:
You and others here are making light of the fact that these victims are christians.

Personally, I'm making light of the fact that nothing is ever done about it. It seems all the "thoughts and prayers" are not working. Maybe they need to think and pray even harder?

The classic definition of insanity applies here.

socalgeo wrote:
You would not have tolerated this kind of gleeful sarcasm after the Pulse nightclub shooting, yet it's ok just because you despise the beliefs of the victims.

Disgusting

I'm pretty sure there were people who gleefully claimed the Pulse shooting was "god's will". :sarcastic:

First Google hit -
https://thoughtcatalog.com/jacob-geers/ ... b-shooter/
Last edited by scbriml on Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

maortega15

Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:01 pm

scbriml wrote:
I'm pretty sure there were people who gleefully claimed the Pulse shooting was "god's will". :sarcastic:

...against the "infidels".

SOBHI51

Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:05 pm

Devin Patrick Kelley seems to be the name of the shooter, so not a Muslim, just a crazy guy.
Last edited by SOBHI51 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

scbriml

Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:06 pm

SOBHI51 wrote:
Devin Patrick Kelley seems to the name of the shooter, so not a Muslim, just a crazy guy.

Ah, so mental illness, not terrorism. That's OK, then. :sarcastic:

maortega15

Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:17 pm

scbriml wrote:
SOBHI51 wrote:
Devin Patrick Kelley seems to the name of the shooter, so not a Muslim, just a crazy guy.

Hence Trump's subtle "outrage"

socalgeo

Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:19 pm

scbriml wrote:
socalgeo wrote:
You and others here are making light of the fact that these victims are christians.

Personally, I'm making light of the fact that nothing is ever done about it. It seems all the "thoughts and prayers" are not working. Maybe they need to think and pray even harder?

The classic definition of insanity applies here.

socalgeo wrote:
You would not have tolerated this kind of gleeful sarcasm after the Pulse nightclub shooting, yet it's ok just because you despise the beliefs of the victims.

Disgusting

First Google hit -
https://thoughtcatalog.com/jacob-geers/ ... b-shooter/

So what? The fact that you would justify your own boorishness with an example of someone else's boorishness just proves that all of your your self rightous and self superior posts here are just the work of a small minded troll.

Own it

Thunderboltdrgn

Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:32 pm

scbriml wrote:
SOBHI51 wrote:

He ia an ex-military airforce personell, so another case of PTSD?

"The shooting suspect has been identified as Devin Patrick Kelley, CBS News has learned from federal law enforcement sources.

Kelley is a former U.S. Air Force member who served from 2010 to 2014. He received a dishonorable discharge and was court martialed in May 2014, CBS News has learned."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-chur ... m-updates/
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

Dutchy

Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:35 pm

and another one.....
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

bgm

Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:35 pm

How about a little less 'thoughts and prayers' and a little more 'gun control'?

The former clearly isn't working, perhaps, maybe, the latter will (of course, we have no idea because gun control is a totally new concept that has never been tried anywhere else in the world...)
"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." -George Carlin

Super80Fan

Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:41 pm

I'm about as Libertarian as they come, and I definitely think something needs to change in regards to guns. The US has really become the "Wild West" again. I'm all for you having your pistol and your rifle for hunting but we really don't need semi-automatic weapons for the general public.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

na

Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:48 pm

Here we go (so soon) again.

Wild West gun laws = Wild West results.

Wonder how long the US can still afford to stay back in 19th century Dodge City.

Tugger

Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:04 am

Sarcastic? Horrible? An awful human being?

How about someone who just had a discussion with a friend after services about how this is, how this must be part of God's plan? Seriously, how do you feel about that conversation with something like this? I don't care what you imagine I am meaning or what kind of person I must be. I have friends, family, people I love and care deeply about that accept this as "God's will". I have a hard time with that but they believe it and annoyingly have argued with me before against "gun control" whatever that may be. And today I don't mention that at all. I commiserate that this was hobble and unacceptable and try to honor their beliefs and claims. Because that moment is not the time to tell people that I think they are wrong to say this is "God's plan", it is instead a time to reflect with them that this is awful and that I feel powerless and hate that sh!t like this happens in the USA. But everyday 30 die in a gun related homicide and there is apparently nothing that can be done.

So think what you want, take what I say however you want to, quite honestly it is likely more a reflection of how you think and feel (the old adage: we hate most in others what we dislike about ourselves) than anything else. My friends and family, religious and not, know I care, that I really give a sh!t and hold them and their values personally. Even if I don't agree or follow them.

But I do not understand how this is God's plan. I do not like God when He does this. I do not know why people love God when He allows this.

But I am the disgusting one. And I haven't killed anyone.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

scbriml

Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:07 am

socalgeo wrote:
The fact that you would justify your own boorishness with an example of someone else's boorishness just proves that all of your your self rightous and self superior posts here are just the work of a small minded troll.

:rotfl:

What are you so angry about? Are you angry at your impotence in the face of another mass shooting? Are you angry that this happened in the reddest of red states? Are you angry that this wasn't islamic terrorism?

Thoughts and prayers (tm).

Eyad89

Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:13 am

I find it entertaining how Trump and different members of the senate/congress reacted to this incident/Vegas incident than the way they reacted to the Uzbek guy in Manhattan.

If racism isn't treating people based on their background, then what is it?

salttee

Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:14 am

Here's a gift for you Scbriml ™ save it for when you need it the next time.

I only use it along with the word Holocaust.
But that's just me.
Last edited by salttee on Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

socalgeo

Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:15 am

Tugger wrote:
Sarcastic? Horrible? An awful human being?

How about someone who just had a discussion with a friend after services about how this is, how this must be part of God's plan? Seriously, how do you feel about that conversation with something like this? I don't care what you imagine I am meaning or what kind of person I must be. I have friends, family, people I love and care deeply about that accept this as "God's will". I have a hard time with that but they believe it and annoyingly have argued with me before against "gun control" whatever that may be. And today I don't mention that at all. I commiserate that this was hobble and unacceptable and try to honor their beliefs and claims. Because that moment is not the time to tell people that I think they are wrong to say this is "God's plan", it is instead a time to reflect with them that this is awful and that I feel powerless and hate that sh!t like this happens in the USA. But everyday 30 die in a gun related homicide and there is apparently nothing that can be done.

So think what you want, take what I say however you want to, quite honestly it is likely more a reflection of how you think and feel (the old adage: we hate most in others what we dislike about ourselves) than anything else. My friends and family, religious and not, know I care, that I really give a sh!t and hold them and their values personally. Even if I don't agree or follow them.

But I do not understand how this is God's plan. I do not like God when He does this. I do not know why people love God when He allows this.

But I am the disgusting one. And I haven't killed anyone.

Tugg

Wow - you actually wrote that how I have taken what you have said is

"likely more a reflection of how you think and feel (the old adage: we hate most in others what we dislike about ourselves) than anything else. "

So you are saying that my reaction is because I hate Christians? How friggin ridiculous is that? WTF

What a vile human being you are.

What happened to just being a decent person?

maortega15

Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:16 am

Eyad89 wrote:
I find it entertaining how Trump and different members of the senate/congress reacted to this incident/Vegas incident than the way they reacted to the Uzbek guy in Manhattan.

If racism isn't treating people based on their background, then what is it?

All he basically said was, "Thoughts and prayers."

Nothing along the lines of "WE HAVE TO BE TOUGHER" or "Extreme vetting"

socalgeo

Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:18 am

scbriml wrote:
socalgeo wrote:
The fact that you would justify your own boorishness with an example of someone else's boorishness just proves that all of your your self rightous and self superior posts here are just the work of a small minded troll.

:rotfl:

What are you so angry about? Are you angry at your impotence in the face of another mass shooting? Are you angry that this happened in the reddest of red states? Are you angry that this wasn't islamic terrorism?

Thoughts and prayers (tm).

Whatever - you know exactly who you are. Only a small minded troll like you would enjoy a mass shooting and use the rotfl emoji.

Mir

Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:34 am

socalgeo wrote:

Calling it "Gods plan" as a sarcastic way to make fun of the victims is anything but factual. It's vile.

It's the same logic the GOP has been using for more than a decade when they offer 'thoughts and prayers' and nothing else. Are they making fun of them?

Let's not lie to ourselves: the system is functioning as it was designed. You get to have ever-loosening gun laws, and every so often a bunch of people get sacrificed on the altar of the NRA. That's the way we've decided things should go. And lo and behold, they do. Even calling them 'victims' is kind of dishonest - their deaths are features, not bugs. Just a cost of doing business.

Thunderboltdrgn wrote:
Kelley is a former U.S. Air Force member who served from 2010 to 2014. He received a dishonorable discharge and was court martialed in May 2014, CBS News has learned."

I'm pretty sure a dishonorable discharge is disqualifying from purchasing a gun. I'm curious to know how he got his.

NoTime

Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:38 am

Kiwirob wrote:
As the NRA mantra goes citizens with guns are the best defence against citizens with guns, being a Baptist church it was surely full of second admendment types armed to the teeth?

Initial reports indicate that an armed citizen engaged the killer and helped end the rampage. Not that I would expect that to stop you from bathing in the blood of the dead in an attempt to score political points.

Mir

Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:49 am

NoTime wrote:
Initial reports indicate that an armed citizen engaged the killer and helped end the rampage.

Not really. The killer was only engaged after he was leaving the church. Damage was done at that point.

Aesma

Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:50 am

People bringing up religion, offering prayers, talking about god's plan, that's to be expected.

Politicians doing same, instead of you know, doing something about it, when it's their responsibility, that's another matter.

A politician that would try that here would be in trouble.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

einsteinboricua

Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:57 am

Three arguments died today:

1. Open carry states don't experience gun shooting. You'd think Texas, a state where guns are second to none, would not see this kind of incident...well, we wouldn't if the argument that "Good guys with guns stop bad guys with guns" were anywhere close to being true. I wonder how many of the worshippers carried guns to church.

2. The ever powerful and loving being known as God is neither all powerful nor all loving and caring. A supreme being, which loves and protects his followers, would not have allowed such a thing to happen and such a being, with the capability to control how events unfold (his Divine Plan) would have made it so that the gunman was never able to fire a single shot. But still, the gunman killed people. So that leads me to conclude the following:

God is not all powerful or merciful; if he is either one, this even would have not happened. If he is neither, he does not deserve the title of "God"...and if he is both (and this is just part of the Divine Plan), then he is a sadistic being who enjoys torturing his worshippers.

3. Christian conservatives work harder than the liberal atheist. However, they must not be thinking and praying hard enough or correctly; otherwise these events would never even happen...I mean, that's what happens when you ask someone else to do the job for you.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

scbriml

Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:02 am

socalgeo wrote:
Whatever - you know exactly who you are. Only a small minded troll like you would enjoy a mass shooting and use the rotfl emoji.

Swing and a miss, champ. The :rotfl: was aimed at you, not the shooting or the victims (for whom I have nothing but sympathy).

My ire and sarcasm is aimed at those that jump up to offer "thoughts and prayers"™(thanks, salttee), yet do nothing about the insanity.

So, what do you want to do to fix this insanity? Assuming you think it needs fixing.

NoTime

Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:12 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
2. The ever powerful and loving being known as God is neither all powerful nor all loving and caring. A supreme being, which loves and protects his followers, would not have allowed such a thing to happen and such a being, with the capability to control how events unfold (his Divine Plan) would have made it so that the gunman was never able to fire a single shot. But still, the gunman killed people. So that leads me to conclude the following:

God is not all powerful or merciful; if he is either one, this even would have not happened. If he is neither, he does not deserve the title of "God"...and if he is both (and this is just part of the Divine Plan), then he is a sadistic being who enjoys torturing his worshippers.

3. Christian conservatives work harder than the liberal atheist. However, they must not be thinking and praying hard enough or correctly; otherwise these events would never even happen...I mean, that's what happens when you ask someone else to do the job for you.

For someone with such a limited understanding of the Christian faith to attempt to make this type of argument would be laughable if it wasn't so sad. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that Christians, however devout, will be spared suffering and/or death. If anything, suffering, persecution and death are to be expected.

MaverickM11

Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:25 am

socalgeo wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

You are a vile human being. You and others here are making light of the fact that these victims are christians. You would not have tolerated this kind of gleeful sarcasm after the Pulse nightclub shooting, yet it's ok just because you despise the beliefs of the victims.

Disgusting

Oh yawn. Please, Ken Paxton literally that morning posted something to the effect of "you reap what you sew". Well kids, Ken and NRA puppets everywhere are reaping today for sure.
E pur si muove -Galileo

CanadaFair

Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:38 am

Mir wrote:
NoTime wrote:
Initial reports indicate that an armed citizen engaged the killer and helped end the rampage.

Not really. The killer was only engaged after he was leaving the church. Damage was done at that point.

Even at the Walmart shooting in Colorado, people took out their guns afer it was all over, three Latinos were the innocent vicims, wouldnt be surpriced if it was racially motivated.

seb146

Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:41 am

A white Christian guy with a gun, so we can not politicize this and we can not make laws or have executive orders. Go back to normal, everyone. Nothing to see here. Move along.
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter

seb146

Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:43 am

NoTime wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

For someone with such a limited understanding of the Christian faith to attempt to make this type of argument would be laughable if it wasn't so sad. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that Christians, however devout, will be spared suffering and/or death. If anything, suffering, persecution and death are to be expected.

Just like Muslims in the United States. They are persecuted daily.
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter

Mir

Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:44 am

CanadaFair wrote:
Mir wrote:
NoTime wrote:

Even at the Walmart shooting in Colorado, people took out their guns afer it was all over, three Latinos were the innocent vicims, wouldnt be surpriced if it was racially motivated.

And everyone having their guns out made it difficult for the police to tell who the shooter was vs who was a bystander.