ual747den
Topic Author

Missile Fired at Riyadh Airport

Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:04 pm

It is amazing to me that no one is talking about this. The US built Patriot Defense System worked and shot it down but this seems like a very big deal to me.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/mi ... 344706ef85
/// UNITED AIRLINES

salttee

Re: Missile Fired at Riyadh Airport

Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:34 pm

And who would believe anything the Saudi's say?

salttee

Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:38 pm

An example of why the Saudi's are not to be believed comes from today's story out of Riyadh. The Saudi's have conducted multiple airstrikes — "starting overnight and continuing until noon the next day — on the rebel-held capital of Yemen, Sanaa".

When the Saudi news agencies say "rebel-held capital of Yemen, Sanaa" they actually mean the Yemeni-held capital of Yemen, Sanaa. To be sure Saudi Arabia is just continuing the hundreds of years old tribal warfare of Saudi tribes against the tribes (now the nation of) Yemen.

This story which originates from AP in Riyadh, but is datelined Sanna, is headlined and primarily about a Houthis raid against Saudi forces in Aden, the port city that Saudi Arabia invaded from the sea last year with American help.
https://www.usnews.com/news/world/artic ... 5-soldiers
AP relays the supposed ISIS claim that they are behind the raid without any background behind the claim. If AP provided some background it would be easy to see that it is very unlikely that ISIS would be behind an attack on Saudis, because Saudi Arabia is the world's largest source of funds and promoter of Salafist jihadism, which forms the ideological basis of terrorist groups such as ISIS. Why would they bite the hand that feeds them? The attackers in Aden can be none other than the native Yemeni resistance to the Saudi meddling and invasion: the Houthis, the non Salafist Yemenis who are independent of, but accept material help from Iran. The ISIS claim for the attack probably came from the mouth of a Saudi public relations officer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houthis

I doubt that there ever was a missile launched from Yemen at Riyadh, but the story is the excuse for the bombing of Sanaa.

SheikhDjibouti

Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:51 am

ual747den wrote:
It is amazing to me that no one is talking about this. The US built Patriot Defense System worked and shot it down but this seems like a very big deal to me.

Riyadh is around 620 miles (1,000 kilometers) north of the border with Yemen.
News outlet Al-Masirah said the missile launched Saturday evening was made in Yemen.

Excuse my ignorance, but I wasn't aware Yemen had any aerospace industry.
Or was this missile put together from a DIY kit purchased on eBay?
There are two things that happen when you get old.
1. You start to lose your memory.
2. What was I saying again?

SOBHI51

Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:22 am

salttee wrote:
And who would believe anything the Saudi's say?

I have family and friends in Riyadh, they saw and heard the missile and the interception with the Patriots, so it is a true story. BTW there are videos around showing the action.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYl2iKXuQCE
Last edited by SOBHI51 on Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

SOBHI51

Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:23 am

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
ual747den wrote:

Riyadh is around 620 miles (1,000 kilometers) north of the border with Yemen.
News outlet Al-Masirah said the missile launched Saturday evening was made in Yemen.

Excuse my ignorance, but I wasn't aware Yemen had any aerospace industry.
Or was this missile put together from a DIY kit purchased on eBay?

There is a shop in Yemen called Iran, now they do have an aerospace industry.

salttee

Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:41 am

SOBHI51 wrote:
I have family and friends in Riyadh, they saw and heard the missile and the interception with the Patriots, so it is a true story.

If a Patriot missile intercepted an IRBM nobody would hear anything except maybe the Patriot launch. But I'm sure that any Patriot battery is located far enough from civilians that they wouldn't hear it. And something like a patriot missile or an IRBM would be invisible to the eye at burst altitude.

If there was a Patriot firing, I'm sure it would be because some Saudi Prince wanted to see one go off after paying all that money for them.

And Iran is not in Yemen, Iran is busy enough shipping things like small arms as well as food and medicine to the Houthis; shipping a functional IRBM would be out of the question. Shipping from Iran has to go through Hudaydah because the Saudi's hold Aden.

SOBHI51

Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:46 am

salttee wrote:
SOBHI51 wrote:
I have family and friends in Riyadh, they saw and heard the missile and the interception with the Patriots, so it is a true story.

If a Patriot missile intercepted an IRBM nobody would hear anything except maybe the Patriot launch. But I'm sure that any Patriot battery is located far enough from civilians that they wouldn't hear it. And something like a patriot missile or an IRBM would be invisible to the eye at burst altitude.

If there was a Patriot firing, I'm sure it would be because some Saudi Prince wanted to see one go off after paying all that money for them.

And Iran is not in Yemen, Iran is busy enough shipping things like small arms as well as food and medicine to the Houthis; shipping a functional IRBM would be out of the question.

There were 4 booms, and patriots do make noises, Saudi army is not a joke so they shoot one for fun.
The Houthis admitted firing the missile, but you as an expert don't believe both sides.
BTW, passengers landing in Riyadh can see patriot missile bases around both airports.
Of course Iran doesn't ship IRBM to Yemen, and of course they don't ship them to Hezbollah either, so now Israel also is lying and only you know the truth.

salttee

Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:59 am

Israel is always lying; the only people who know the truth in the region are those who keep themselves informed and use their own consul.

SOBHI51

Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:17 am

salttee wrote:
Israel is always lying; the only people who know the truth in the region are those who keep themselves informed and use their own consul.

So everybody is lying? Who do you suggest we can believe? You maybe?

PayaLebar

Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:17 am

salttee wrote:
Israel is always lying;

And what exactly is Israel lying about? Just curious.

PayaLebar

Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:24 am

[/quote]BTW, passengers landing in Riyadh can see patriot missile bases around both airports.[/quote]

And this is why I have been saying to family and friends for the last two years that they should avoid the ME3 + SV and completely avoid going through the Gulf.

salttee

Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:30 am

PayaLebar wrote:
salttee wrote:
Israel is always lying;

About wanting peace, the myriad of lies spring from that fact.

Israel is in continuous expansion mode as the Zionist program has been for more than a hundred years.
The leadership of Israel wants more land and wants a turbulent ME in order to keep nipping off more and more land.
They are willing to pay with a few settlers lives every now and then along with a few IDF losses or maybe a random terrorist act on their territory.
These are people living in the Tanakh just as our Christian nut cases live in the Old Testament.
All of life is war to them.

SOBHI51

Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:38 am

salttee wrote:
PayaLebar wrote:
salttee wrote:
Israel is always lying;

About wanting peace, the myriad of lies spring from that fact.

Israel is in continuous expansion mode as the Zionist program has been for more than a hundred years.
The leadership of Israel wants more land and wants a turbulent ME in order to keep nipping off more and more land.
They are willing to pay with a few settlers lives every now and then along with a few IDF losses or maybe a random terrorist act on their territory.
These are people living in the Tanakh just as our Christian nut cases live in the Old Testament.
All of life is war to them.

I will agree on some of what you are saying here, but, we are not discussing the Palestinian Israeli conflict here.
What i was referring to is that Yemeni's have not the know how to build a long range missile, the only other country in the area supplying them with arms is Iran who had in the past supplied Hezbollah with similar weapons.

SOBHI51

Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:41 am

PayaLebar wrote:
BTW, passengers landing in Riyadh can see patriot missile bases around both airports.[/quote]

And this is why I have been saying to family and friends for the last two years that they should avoid the ME3 + SV and completely avoid going through the Gulf.[/quote]

They are defensive weapons, every country has the right to defend itself. Why should that worry you.BTW those weapons where there since the second Gulf war.

salttee

Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:46 am

Iran has never given Hezbollah IRBMs and that is what is claimed to have been fired at Riydah.
Getting military supplies into Yemen is not an easy task.

One missile? That's absurd. Especially if it's main function would be to highlite SA's Patriot batteries.

zkojq

Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:34 am

salttee wrote:
To be sure Saudi Arabia is just continuing the hundreds of years old tribal warfare of Saudi tribes against the tribes (now the nation of) Yemen.

And considering the differences in terms of weapons available to each side, the Saudis are getting properly embarrassed.

salttee wrote:
And Iran is not in Yemen, Iran is busy enough shipping things like small arms as well as food and medicine to the Houthis; shipping a functional IRBM would be out of the question. Shipping from Iran has to go through Hudaydah because the Saudi's hold Aden.

:checkmark: and anyway, you can be sure that if there was any hint of Iranian involvement with the missile, Israel, Saudi Arabia, The GOP, their lobbyists and everyone else who wants to torpedo the Iran Deal would be screaming about it at the top of their voices.
Most recent planes I've been in: A318 F-GUGQ, A319 F-GRHR, A320ceo D-AIZH, A320neo D-AINE, A330-300 VH-QPD, A350-900 B-LRA, A380-800 D-AIMH, B737-600 LN-RPA, B737-700 OY-JTY, B737-800 LN-NGA, B767-300 ZK-NCI, B777-300 ZK-OKN, B787-9 VH-ZNA, CS100 HB-JBG

mad99

Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:57 am

zkojq wrote:
salttee wrote:

And considering the differences in terms of weapons available to each side, the Saudis are getting properly embarrassed.

big time. SA have all the latest kit yet the locals are smoking them!

WIederling

Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:12 pm

mad99 wrote:
zkojq wrote:
salttee wrote:

False Flag?
SA is desperate for sticking it to Iran.

( and IMU SA culture/religion makes them unsuitable for the position of local power in the region.)
Murphy is an optimist

Tugger

Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:50 pm

mad99 wrote:
zkojq wrote:
salttee wrote:

This is normal and nothing unusual. "Locals" have always outdone "invaders" unless the invaders pursue complete scorched earth tactics. The British colony's did it 200 years ago, the North Vietnamese did it 50 years ago, IS did it just a few years ago (until "scorched earth" came into play).

Are you wanting to see scorched earth happen in Yemen? (And then likely in more of the region?) "Civilized war" is very difficult, I can only hope SA is able to continue it but I fear it may soon be moving to the direction you appear to support.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

salttee

Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:53 pm

WIederling wrote:
SA is desperate for sticking it to Iran.

The new Crown Prince, Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz is all buddy buddy with Trump and Kushner, who have obviously egged him on towards dreams of Sunni war against the Shias and the glory that such a war can bring him. The Saudis are currently even cooperating with Israel against Lebanon if some recent news reports are to be believed.

Between Iran, Iraq, Syria, Lebanon and Yemen he's looking at wars with nations comprising about 150 million people - and SA has only a population of about 32 million with about 5 million of those being Shia, and malcontent Shia at that

How do you spell Waterloo in Saudi? Yemen.

Pellegrine

Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:47 pm

Everything strange is going on in Saudi right now. Mohammed bin Salman has conducted a huge power grab - the likes of which hasn't been seen in KSA since 1953, changing the economics of the region and possibly the world. I'm not sure that the current Saudi government is to be believed right now on many issues. Regarding Yemen, what they are doing is causing a humanitarian disaster, and they are therefore potentially guilty of international war crimes.
oh boy, here we go!!!

moo

Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:52 am

zkojq wrote:
:checkmark: and anyway, you can be sure that if there was any hint of Iranian involvement with the missile, Israel, Saudi Arabia, The GOP, their lobbyists and everyone else who wants to torpedo the Iran Deal would be screaming about it at the top of their voices.

Why can't Iran supply weapons to the Yemeni opposition? Saudi Arabia are using US supplied F-15s, UK supplied Tornadoes and UK supplied Eurofighters. The west has also supplied Syrian rebel forces. Whats the issue with Iran getting involved in Yemen? Simple double standards?

zkojq

Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:34 am

moo wrote:
zkojq wrote:

Why can't Iran supply weapons to the Yemeni opposition? Saudi Arabia are using US supplied F-15s, UK supplied Tornadoes and UK supplied Eurofighters. The west has also supplied Syrian rebel forces. Whats the issue with Iran getting involved in Yemen? Simple double standards?

I honestly don't care if Iran gives support to the Yemenis. But I have no doubt that if Iran supplies them missiles, all the parties I mentioned earlier will try to twist the narrative towards the missiles being part of Persian Expansionism. They'll then say that it is critically important that this Persian Expansionism is contained.

moo wrote:
Simple double standards?

For sure. There's a lot of parties who desperately want the Iran Deal to be stopped at any cost.
Most recent planes I've been in: A318 F-GUGQ, A319 F-GRHR, A320ceo D-AIZH, A320neo D-AINE, A330-300 VH-QPD, A350-900 B-LRA, A380-800 D-AIMH, B737-600 LN-RPA, B737-700 OY-JTY, B737-800 LN-NGA, B767-300 ZK-NCI, B777-300 ZK-OKN, B787-9 VH-ZNA, CS100 HB-JBG

mad99

Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:58 am

Tugger wrote:
mad99 wrote:
zkojq wrote:

This is normal and nothing unusual. "Locals" have always outdone "invaders" unless the invaders pursue complete scorched earth tactics. The British colony's did it 200 years ago, the North Vietnamese did it 50 years ago, IS did it just a few years ago (until "scorched earth" came into play).

Are you wanting to see scorched earth happen in Yemen? (And then likely in more of the region?) "Civilized war" is very difficult, I can only hope SA is able to continue it but I fear it may soon be moving to the direction you appear to support.

Tugg

i don't know much about this conflict but i think the SA/USA team are applying the scorched earth method...
most of the close range fighting results in Houthi wins.

70% of the population is in need of aid now

WIederling

Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:01 am

zkojq wrote:
For sure. There's a lot of parties who desperately want the Iran Deal to be stopped at any cost.

They are also working on the next Syria. this time to heckle China.
Murphy is an optimist

atcsundevil

Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:17 pm

Keep the thread on topic. This isn't a debate over religion. Racist comments and accusations are not tolerated on this site.

✈️ atcsundevil

salttee

Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:31 am

It turns out that the Patriot system didn't do any better in Riyadh than it did in Israel in 1991.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... fense.html

This doesn't provide much reassurance for the THADD system being able to protect Guam from the rocket man.