User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 16662
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:51 am

Siren wrote:
I punched and kicked back enough to make a hasty escape. And I immediately ran to report it to the staff. Wherein I was punished for being inside the building during lunch period... and Gary never faced any disciplinary action that I know of.

Thanks for sharing the difficult stories. I'm wondering why you think the staff didn't do anything about this. Do you think it was along the lines of "boys will be boys" or do you think it was that the staff just didn't want to deal with what would obviously be a controversial situation, or something else?
The gun is NOT a precious symbol of freedom
It is a deadly cancer on American society
Those who believe otherwise are consumed by an ideology
That is impervious to evidence
 
User avatar
SheikhDjibouti
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:59 pm

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:14 pm

Siren wrote:
I'm going to offer the perspective from someone who has actually been sexually assaulted.

The first assault happened when I was 13. ... his name was Gary, He was 6 inches, 17 years old, and about 100 pounds heavier.

At the risk of it being bad taste, PLEASE can I make the obvious joke here.... :lol:

Ok, joke over.
Having read both of your posts, and finding them most illuminating, I'm not sure how best to offer my sympathy. As usual, Revelation covered the bases far better than I could myself. Clearly you were badly treated in both cases, although when it comes to school, many of us can also cite instances where teachers have clearly dropped the ball. I found that out to myself at a very young age, and it was a profound shock to me that being in the right was no guarantee that you would get justice. I too suffered punishment when in fact I was the victim. I hasten to add that the circumstances were quite trivial compared to yours, but especially these days school is rarely the safe environment it pretends to be.

Porn is another (very) grey area.
I have a copy of a very old magazine featuring a young lady, in all her glory, who when she eventually reached the age of 18, made the whole event public whilst laughing her socks off. When the US President of the day demanded that something be done about the publishers who failed to check her age, it turned out she had hoodwinked them by supplying a California Drivers Licence as proof of age. So it was the state of California who had facilitated naked pictures of a 15 year old girl. FWIW I don't believe she was coerced; she knew exactly what she was doing.
Meanwhile, I now find myself in possession of an illegal magazine - child pornography in fact.

More recently, on a Greek island popular as a tourist destination, I wandered around a standard village supermarket, and between the halloumi cabinet, and the bottles of Retsina, I found a stack of DVDs on a low shelf, accessible to small children. They were ridiculously cheap - typically €3 or similar, and at first glance I thought they were Disney cartoons for young children to purchase with their pocket money. Amongst them I found several that seemed to be animal documentaries. I selected one of them (Alice besucht einen Bauernhof/Alice visits a farm) and without any facility to view it either at the shop, or back at my hotel room, packed it in my luggage to watch with my children back in the UK.
Some of you are probably ahead of me on this already; whilst the DVD cover showed a respectable young lady (Alice) stroking a horse, it turned out that in the video itself Alice, now stark naked, was stroking a horse. Thankfully my children were not in the room when I made this discovery. Assuming that this DVD was perfectly acceptable and legal in Greece (which frankly is shocking), I could have legally watched this DVD (on holiday, in Greece) but as soon as I brought it back to the UK, I put myself seriously at risk of a prison sentence.
Once again I have accidentally found myself in possession of illegal porn.
:white:
There are two things that happen when you get old.
1. You start to lose your memory.
2. What was I saying again?
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 4065
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:55 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Siren wrote:
I'm going to offer the perspective from someone who has actually been sexually assaulted.

The first assault happened when I was 13. ... his name was Gary, He was 6 inches, 17 years old, and about 100 pounds heavier.

At the risk of it being bad taste, PLEASE can I make the obvious joke here.... :lol:


Risk? It is far worse than bad taste. What if that is true? Do you know what kind of hardship lies with that? Com'on how tasteless is your statement.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
seb146
Posts: 15692
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:30 am

So, for every "but Clinton!!!" post, there needs to be a "Clarence Thomas" rebuttal. All the righties crying and screaming about how awful Bill was, let's not forget how Clarence Thomas was and that he refused to recuse himself from specific cases.
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 905
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:41 am

seb146 wrote:
I wonder if someone comes out and apologizes, like Al Frankin, but makes the announcement before anyone can accuse them? So, what if male celebrity X holds a press conference stating something like "Yes, I did this stupid thing, I have contacted the victim and apologized personally for this stupid thing I did...." What then? How would our reactions be?


I guess it depends on how many victims there are to apologize to.

If there's only one, then I'd say that's getting out in front of it.

I'm sorry seb146, I missed out on the whole Pizzagate affair. I've got nothing to backtrack on there... But talking about Pizza late at night is making me hungry for pizza. :frown:
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
seb146
Posts: 15692
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:47 pm

THIS DOES NOT EXCUSE AL FRANKEN BUT:

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/1 ... themselves

She cries foul and gropes another man on stage. Where is her apology to him? Why was he not degraded and used and felt shame? Because he wanted it? Because he should not have been wearing his jeans that tight? C'mon, now....
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter
 
User avatar
BobPatterson
Posts: 3381
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 am

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:26 pm

seb146 wrote:
So, for every "but Clinton!!!" post, there needs to be a "Clarence Thomas" rebuttal. All the righties crying and screaming about how awful Bill was, let's not forget how Clarence Thomas was and that he refused to recuse himself from specific cases.

Is it really necessary to continue slander against Justice Thomas?

If he had reason to recuse himself he would have done so.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.
 
seb146
Posts: 15692
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:00 am

BobPatterson wrote:
seb146 wrote:
So, for every "but Clinton!!!" post, there needs to be a "Clarence Thomas" rebuttal. All the righties crying and screaming about how awful Bill was, let's not forget how Clarence Thomas was and that he refused to recuse himself from specific cases.

Is it really necessary to continue slander against Justice Thomas?

If he had reason to recuse himself he would have done so.


He did have a good reason. His wife works in the health care industry.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... eform-case

There were all kinds of calls for Elena Kagen to recuse herself from various cases because it would have been conflict of interest. This was the same. Thomas' wife was making money in the health care industry and that was a conflict of interest.

Not to mention the sexual harassment of Anita Hill.
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter
 
User avatar
BobPatterson
Posts: 3381
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 am

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:18 am

seb146 wrote:
He did have a good reason. His wife works in the health care industry.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... eform-case

There were all kinds of calls for Elena Kagen to recuse herself from various cases because it would have been conflict of interest. This was the same. Thomas' wife was making money in the health care industry and that was a conflict of interest.

Not to mention the sexual harassment of Anita Hill.

At the time the politicians made demands for Justice Thomas to recuse himself, there was no case before the court in which recusal might be required. From the article you cited:

"A group of 73 House Democrats on Wednesday demanded U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas recuse himself from any case examining the constitutionality of healthcare reform." Anthony Weiner? 2011?

There could be several or many cases. Some might seem to require recusal while others might not. Let's wait for such cases to arrive on the court's docket.

If you believed the "cunt hair on a coke can" testimony of Anita Hill, I feel sorry for you. Why did you not instead believe the 10-20 dignified and mature women who testified in support of him?
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.
 
seb146
Posts: 15692
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:05 am

BobPatterson wrote:
seb146 wrote:
He did have a good reason. His wife works in the health care industry.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... eform-case

There were all kinds of calls for Elena Kagen to recuse herself from various cases because it would have been conflict of interest. This was the same. Thomas' wife was making money in the health care industry and that was a conflict of interest.

Not to mention the sexual harassment of Anita Hill.

At the time the politicians made demands for Justice Thomas to recuse himself, there was no case before the court in which recusal might be required. From the article you cited:

"A group of 73 House Democrats on Wednesday demanded U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas recuse himself from any case examining the constitutionality of healthcare reform." Anthony Weiner? 2011?

There could be several or many cases. Some might seem to require recusal while others might not. Let's wait for such cases to arrive on the court's docket.

If you believed the "cunt hair on a coke can" testimony of Anita Hill, I feel sorry for you. Why did you not instead believe the 10-20 dignified and mature women who testified in support of him?


So we are not to believe one woman because other women claim nothing happened to them? My mom lived in Oregon while Bob Packwood was senator. He never sexually harassed her, so I guess he is innocent of all charges. Using your logic, Bob.

And, yes, it is a huge deal that a Supreme Court justice is married to someone in the health care industry. She has a great deal of interest and could influence his opinion on health care cases. Would you want oil executives ruling on oil spill cases or child molesters to rule on child molestation cases?
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 905
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:36 am

Terry Crews reveals he was groped in front of his wife, by Adam Venit

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/adam-v ... 202605857/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/peo ... 846549001/

Terry Crews Exclusive Interview with ABC's Michael Strahan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xF0r8D-OmA
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 5929
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:05 pm

Dutchy wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Siren wrote:
I'm going to offer the perspective from someone who has actually been sexually assaulted.

The first assault happened when I was 13. ... his name was Gary, He was 6 inches, 17 years old, and about 100 pounds heavier.

At the risk of it being bad taste, PLEASE can I make the obvious joke here.... :lol:


Risk? It is far worse than bad taste. What if that is true? Do you know what kind of hardship lies with that? Com'on how tasteless is your statement.

Reread the quote and focus on the bold/underlined part.

We assume she meant 6 inches taller or 6 feet, but at first glance a 6-inch 17 year old is quite humorous to think about.

Unless 6 inches was the size of his manhood, in which case it would imply that she had time to examine it (I mean, really...do sexually assaulted women recall with precision how big their assaulter's manhood was?)
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 4065
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:17 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:
At the risk of it being bad taste, PLEASE can I make the obvious joke here.... :lol:


Risk? It is far worse than bad taste. What if that is true? Do you know what kind of hardship lies with that? Com'on how tasteless is your statement.

Reread the quote and focus on the bold/underlined part.

We assume she meant 6 inches taller or 6 feet, but at first glance a 6-inch 17 year old is quite humorous to think about.

Unless 6 inches was the size of his manhood, in which case it would imply that she had time to examine it (I mean, really...do sexually assaulted women recall with precision how big their assaulter's manhood was?)


Don't feel comfortable to talk about it and drag it further.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 16662
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:26 pm

seb146 wrote:
So, for every "but Clinton!!!" post, there needs to be a "Clarence Thomas" rebuttal. All the righties crying and screaming about how awful Bill was, let's not forget how Clarence Thomas was and that he refused to recuse himself from specific cases.

Only if we insist that each new opportunity to deal with situations in our lives gets dragged back into the same old political points scoring bullshit.
The gun is NOT a precious symbol of freedom
It is a deadly cancer on American society
Those who believe otherwise are consumed by an ideology
That is impervious to evidence
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 905
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:40 pm

seb146 wrote:
So, for every "but Clinton!!!" post, there needs to be a "Clarence Thomas" rebuttal. All the righties crying and screaming about how awful Bill was, let's not forget how Clarence Thomas was and that he refused to recuse himself from specific cases.


No, F*** That ! !

The comparison needs to be how many infractions there were while holding office. I'll bet Clinton's "numbers" are considerably higher than one Mr. Clarence Thomas.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 16662
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:49 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
seb146 wrote:
So, for every "but Clinton!!!" post, there needs to be a "Clarence Thomas" rebuttal. All the righties crying and screaming about how awful Bill was, let's not forget how Clarence Thomas was and that he refused to recuse himself from specific cases.


No, F*** That ! !

The comparison needs to be how many infractions there were while holding office. I'll bet Clinton's "numbers" are considerably higher than one Mr. Clarence Thomas.

Any time the two of you gonna leave the 1990s behind and get on with the current era? Last time I looked, Mr Thomas is pushing up daisies and Mr Clinton might as well be.
The gun is NOT a precious symbol of freedom
It is a deadly cancer on American society
Those who believe otherwise are consumed by an ideology
That is impervious to evidence
 
User avatar
mbmbos
Posts: 2685
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 4:16 am

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:09 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
Do you actually know any women?



What do you think? Do I actually know any women? Don't insult me.

So you pull out a couple of anecdotes to support a misogynistic world view, that women use their sex and specifically threaten claims of sexual assault to advance themselves?

This is how violence toward women is justified.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke
 
stratosphere
Posts: 1289
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:20 pm

mbmbos wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
I still wouldn't be surprised if a lot of women who did use what they've got to get ahead are now jumping on the he made me do it bandwagon, how else does one explain the stellar careers of some very pedestrian and no talent actresses.


Wow. Just wow. Did you actually say this? You have no evidence that women use their sex to get ahead but you will go ahead and speculate anyway.

This is precisely what women face after being sexually assaulted; the veracity of their story is immediately questioned and they are routinely demonized. Their entire careers are examined for anything that can remotely be construed as sexual manipulation. Their manner and dress is critiqued. All because some men have a narrative in their head of the femme fatale, the woman who manipulates them with their bodies.

There are plenty of no talent actors. Male actors. Did they use their sex to get to the top too? Has it dawned on you the media often hires brain dead actors and spokespeople because of their looks? That doesn't mean they sleep their way to the top.

This type of narrative feeds into the misogyny.


Not that this case was a sex to get ahead story but shows that women lie occasionally about being assaulted as well and this one has a racial component to it. She should have done jail time for what she put those Duke Lacrosse players through.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_lacrosse_case
 
seb146
Posts: 15692
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:12 pm

Revelation wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
seb146 wrote:
So, for every "but Clinton!!!" post, there needs to be a "Clarence Thomas" rebuttal. All the righties crying and screaming about how awful Bill was, let's not forget how Clarence Thomas was and that he refused to recuse himself from specific cases.


No, F*** That ! !

The comparison needs to be how many infractions there were while holding office. I'll bet Clinton's "numbers" are considerably higher than one Mr. Clarence Thomas.

Any time the two of you gonna leave the 1990s behind and get on with the current era? Last time I looked, Mr Thomas is pushing up daisies and Mr Clinton might as well be.


I would love to, but for every Republican accused of sexual misconduct, the stock response from the right is "but Bill Clinton is as bad or worse!!" so talk to them.
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter
 
User avatar
BobPatterson
Posts: 3381
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 am

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:56 pm

Revelation wrote:
Last time I looked, Mr Thomas is pushing up daisies.......

Huh? Pushing up daisies as in "dead"?
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.
 
apodino
Posts: 3176
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:11 am

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:49 pm

seb146 wrote:
Revelation wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

No, F*** That ! !

The comparison needs to be how many infractions there were while holding office. I'll bet Clinton's "numbers" are considerably higher than one Mr. Clarence Thomas.

Any time the two of you gonna leave the 1990s behind and get on with the current era? Last time I looked, Mr Thomas is pushing up daisies and Mr Clinton might as well be.


I would love to, but for every Republican accused of sexual misconduct, the stock response from the right is "but Bill Clinton is as bad or worse!!" so talk to them.

This is somewhat true and it makes me sick, because its the classic case of justifying bad behavior with bad behavior and it happens in politics on both sides so often these days.

I believe sexual assault is way more prevalent than we realize and what has happened recently is the Weinstein case has opened Pandora's box and you are going to see a lot more women empower to come forward. In the case of Moore, the timing of the allegations made me a bit suspicious initially but I personally believe that these women are telling the truth and Moore should step down, or be rejected by the voters of Alabama. In the case of Franken, a smoking gun exists, and while to his credit he has apologized for his actions you have to wonder what kind of message it sends for him to keep his office after doing what he did.

But these are just symptoms of a larger problem, and that is when Men accumulate money and power, they are in a position to affect the lives and careers of vulnerable young women looking to get a start in life and they abuse this power to prey on these young women, and until now have largely gotten away with it. At a certain point these men feel invincible and that makes the problem worse and worse. I believe this is also one of the unwritten reasons for income inequality, is because if the women are making what the men make, that is one less carrot that these men can dangle in front of women to get their way. This is awful and needs to be addressed, and sadly likely wont because too many members of congress are likely guilty themselves of this.

I have another thought on this as well, but that post is going to be very controversial so I will save it for later when I can better word it.
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 10928
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:23 pm

mbmbos wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
Do you actually know any women?



What do you think? Do I actually know any women? Don't insult me.

So you pull out a couple of anecdotes to support a misogynistic world view, that women use their sex and specifically threaten claims of sexual assault to advance themselves?

This is how violence toward women is justified.


Then the only woman you know is your mother. A lot of women use there attractiveness and sometimes sex to get what they want, if you think otherwise you’re either not attracted to females or led an incredibly sheltered existance.
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 16662
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:28 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
Revelation wrote:
Last time I looked, Mr Thomas is pushing up daisies.......

Huh? Pushing up daisies as in "dead"?

IDK, maybe I confused him with Charles Manson...
The gun is NOT a precious symbol of freedom
It is a deadly cancer on American society
Those who believe otherwise are consumed by an ideology
That is impervious to evidence
 
User avatar
BobPatterson
Posts: 3381
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 am

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:57 pm

seb146 wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:
If you believed the "cunt hair on a coke can" testimony of Anita Hill, I feel sorry for you. Why did you not instead believe the 10-20 dignified and mature women who testified in support of him?


So we are not to believe one woman because other women claim nothing happened to them? My mom lived in Oregon while Bob Packwood was senator. He never sexually harassed her, so I guess he is innocent of all charges. Using your logic, Bob.

No, you are not using my logic. You are creating a fantasy to support your bias.

The 10-20 women did not testify that "nothing happened to them". They testified as to Judge Thomas's character as a gentleman and decent man.

Those 10-20 women were capable of comparing Anita Hill and Clarence Thomas. They knew both from close association over a period of time. Those women knew that Mr. Thomas was telling the truth and that Anita Hill was not.

I do not think (and did not think at the time) that Judge Thomas was the "best qualified" person that could have been nominated as claimed by the President.

But I could not bring myself to participate in the race-based public lynching of a decent man. Anita Hill was a participant in that lynching.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.
 
User avatar
SheikhDjibouti
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:59 pm

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:41 pm

mbmbos wrote:
So you pull out a couple of anecdotes to support a misogynistic world view, that women use their sex and specifically threaten claims of sexual assault to advance themselves?

Kiwirob wrote:
A lot of women use their attractiveness and sometimes sex to get what they want.
"A lot of women..." and "sometimes" seems pretty much correct IMO. Hence...
+1 (my own experience)
+2 (my sister's candid comments, strictly for private consumption)
+3 (my wife's strongly held convictions, and she doesn't even mind repeating them in public)
+4 (my eldest daughter; she knows it's true and I know all her grubby little secrets :rotfl: )
That's more than a couple of anecdotes, and you won't find any of them interested in supporting mysogynism. Why don't you try coming up with a real argument for why such a chorus of voices are so wrong.

mbmbos wrote:
This is how violence toward women is justified

I can't even begin to understand how you twisted this conclusion out of what went before. Are you reading from a feminist handbook?

Cognitive inertia refers to the tendency for beliefs or sets of beliefs to endure once formed. In particular, cognitive inertia describes the human inclination to rely on familiar assumptions and exhibit a reluctance and/or inability to revise those assumptions, even when the evidence supporting them no longer exists or when other evidence would question their accuracy.

And as for the question somebody else asked you;
Do you know any women?
Based on your previous comments, I thought that was a fair question too.

By repeating the same old fallacies you are doing a huge dis-service to all the genuine victims who deserve our sympathy and support. And BTW, when you next use the "M" word as a cheap device to discredit somebody else's argument, take a look in the mirror first.
There are two things that happen when you get old.
1. You start to lose your memory.
2. What was I saying again?
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 16662
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:04 am

BobPatterson wrote:
seb146 wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:
If you believed the "cunt hair on a coke can" testimony of Anita Hill, I feel sorry for you. Why did you not instead believe the 10-20 dignified and mature women who testified in support of him?


So we are not to believe one woman because other women claim nothing happened to them? My mom lived in Oregon while Bob Packwood was senator. He never sexually harassed her, so I guess he is innocent of all charges. Using your logic, Bob.


Amazing people can froth from the mouth over events from 1991.

Here we have a dialog about actual current events and you two want to stay stuck in events of 26 years ago.

Heck, why not spend your time arguing about Charlie Rose suspended by CBS after 8 women accuse him of sexual harassment instead?

You might see a familiar face if you follow that link...

Et tu, Charlie?
The gun is NOT a precious symbol of freedom
It is a deadly cancer on American society
Those who believe otherwise are consumed by an ideology
That is impervious to evidence
 
seb146
Posts: 15692
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:08 am

Revelation wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:
seb146 wrote:

So we are not to believe one woman because other women claim nothing happened to them? My mom lived in Oregon while Bob Packwood was senator. He never sexually harassed her, so I guess he is innocent of all charges. Using your logic, Bob.


Amazing people can froth from the mouth over events from 1991.

Here we have a dialog about actual current events and you two want to stay stuck in events of 26 years ago.

Heck, why not spend your time arguing about Charlie Rose suspended by CBS after 8 women accuse him of sexual harassment instead?

You might see a familiar face if you follow that link...

Et tu, Charlie?


Again, people rush to defend Republicans by crying "BILL CLINTON!" so why not have my own blast from the past?

Shame about Charlie Rose, though. I always saw him as just a guy sitting behind a table talking with people.
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 905
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:47 am

Revelation wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:
seb146 wrote:

So we are not to believe one woman because other women claim nothing happened to them? My mom lived in Oregon while Bob Packwood was senator. He never sexually harassed her, so I guess he is innocent of all charges. Using your logic, Bob.


Amazing people can froth from the mouth over events from 1991.

Here we have a dialog about actual current events and you two want to stay stuck in events of 26 years ago.

Heck, why not spend your time arguing about Charlie Rose suspended by CBS after 8 women accuse him of sexual harassment instead?

You might see a familiar face if you follow that link...

Et tu, Charlie?


https://www.washingtonpost.com/investig ... story.html

And Surprise! Charlie Rose’s longtime executive producer, Yvette Vega, was an enabler of many years the abuse. It's all the rage now to talk about guys who looked the other way. The gals did it too, and some were Executives.

“I should have stood up for them (the girls she knew that were being taken advantage of),” said Vega, 52, who has worked with Charlie Rose since the show was created in 1991. “I failed. It is crushing. I deeply regret not helping them.”

Godfrey-Ryan said that when Charlie Rose learned she had confided to a mutual friend about his conduct, he fired her.


Oh, don't worry Vega, you'll likely get a pass, and won't be demonized because you're a girl.

However, if you had been a man, then you'd be lumped in as a co-conspiriter with Charlie.

But your apology sound so sincere.... so all is forgiven.

Double Standards are nice when they work in your favor, aren't they Yvette.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 16662
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:47 am

seb146 wrote:
Again, people rush to defend Republicans by crying "BILL CLINTON!" so why not have my own blast from the past?

Seems absurd to me to rehash events of the GHWB/Clinton eras.
The gun is NOT a precious symbol of freedom
It is a deadly cancer on American society
Those who believe otherwise are consumed by an ideology
That is impervious to evidence
 
stlgph
Posts: 9759
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:36 pm

It's not a laughing matter, but, still, I am LOVING the downfall of Charlie Rose. Granted, he was always nice to me, because he "kind of had to be," but Rose, as a person, was a real son of a bitch. Why people put him up on a damn pedestal, I will never know. He also can't write anything to save his life.

Yvette Vega is just an equal sleazebag.

Needless to say, I'm having a lot of fun with their christmas cards this year.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport
 
seb146
Posts: 15692
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:17 pm

I think a lot of us defend Charlie Rose because all we ever knew of him was what we saw on TV. We never really heard much of his life off camera. I started watching him long ago when he had a half hour on late night public television. The format and questions were very good, I thought. I never knew him off camera, just what I saw on camera. On camera, he always seemed very level headed and reserved.
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 905
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:50 pm

Talk show host and journalist Charlie Rose was fired Tuesday by CBS News, PBS and Bloomberg in the wake of eight women accusing him of sexual harassment and unwanted advances in a report in The Washington Post.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/harve ... ns-n822691

"A short time ago we terminated Charlie Rose's employment with CBS News, effective immediately," said a statement posted to Twitter from CBS News President David Rhodes. "This followed the revelation yesterday of extremely disturbing and intolerable behavior said to have revolved around his PBS program."

In a statement, PBS also announced it had ended its relationship with Rose, whose self-titled interview show began airing in 1991.

"In light of yesterday’s revelations, PBS has terminated its relationship with Charlie Rose and cancelled distribution of his programs. PBS expects all the producers we work with to provide a workplace where people feel safe and are treated with dignity and respect," PBS said.

Bloomberg TV confirmed it had severed ties with Rose, but had no further comment as of Tuesday afternoon.

-------------------------------------------

Just think of it.... Charlie could resurrect on an online show.

He could enthusiastically interview all of the accused, and the list is long.

The accused could give "their side of their story".

"This is Charlie Rose, and tonight we begin with misunderstood Hollywood genius Harvey Weinstein...."
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
User avatar
Siren
Posts: 713
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:50 am

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:06 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:
At the risk of it being bad taste, PLEASE can I make the obvious joke here.... :lol:


Risk? It is far worse than bad taste. What if that is true? Do you know what kind of hardship lies with that? Com'on how tasteless is your statement.

Reread the quote and focus on the bold/underlined part.

We assume she meant 6 inches taller or 6 feet, but at first glance a 6-inch 17 year old is quite humorous to think about.

Unless 6 inches was the size of his manhood, in which case it would imply that she had time to examine it (I mean, really...do sexually assaulted women recall with precision how big their assaulter's manhood was?)



I've been out of the loop for a few days here, but... um... his misquote of my typo. was quite funny. He was 6 inches taller. For the record. But... no, not crass. Amusing. Quite amusing,
Siren: 32 year old single white female based @ KLAX. Aviation nerd, political wonk, disability rights activist, German car enthusiast, Californian Independence leader & evangelist
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 15965
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:37 pm

Revelation wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Again, people rush to defend Republicans by crying "BILL CLINTON!" so why not have my own blast from the past?

Seems absurd to me to rehash events of the GHWB/Clinton eras.

Even the left is starting to re-litigate Bill Clinton at this point, which is a curious use of resources, no matter how deserved, when the right is more than happy to put a pedophile into office *today*.
E pur si muove -Galileo
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Posts: 4262
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:56 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
Even the left is starting to re-litigate Bill Clinton at this point, which is a curious use of resources, no matter how deserved, when the right is more than happy to put a pedophile into office *today*.


Giving the rich a tax cut is more important than any moral value or societal issue, see...

It's all about priorities.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.
 
stratosphere
Posts: 1289
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:52 am

Francoflier wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
Even the left is starting to re-litigate Bill Clinton at this point, which is a curious use of resources, no matter how deserved, when the right is more than happy to put a pedophile into office *today*.


Giving the rich a tax cut is more important than any moral value or societal issue, see...

It's all about priorities.


So as long as she is not under age sexual assault and abuse of power over women is ok with you liberals right? Look both parties in congress have abused their power over women. The women coming to the surface is growing by the day and apparently hush money paid for by us the taxpayer has been used to silence women in the past. I say call everyone out but I want you liberals to call for your people to resign if they are found guilty or have credible evidence just like I will demand it if they are republicans none of this double standard. These politicians are supposed to work for US the people lets start holding them all accountable. I also have forever been for term limits too many of these fossils have been in office way too long.
Last edited by stratosphere on Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 15965
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:54 am

stratosphere wrote:
So as long as she is not under age sexual assault and abuse of power over women is ok with you liberals right?

Literally no one is saying that. That is just in your tiny imagination. By all means let's start the impeachment proceedings now for the head pussy grabber...you won't find any argument from me.
E pur si muove -Galileo
 
stratosphere
Posts: 1289
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:57 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
stratosphere wrote:
So as long as she is not under age sexual assault and abuse of power over women is ok with you liberals right?

Literally no one is saying that. That is just in your tiny imagination. By all means let's start the impeachment proceedings now for the head pussy grabber...you won't find any argument from me.


Im ok with that and I hope you won't support creepy uncle Joe Biden to replace Trump. I am sure there are women lying under the surface just waiting to come out on him
 
User avatar
BobPatterson
Posts: 3381
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 am

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:38 am

stratosphere wrote:
Im ok with that and I hope you won't support creepy uncle Joe Biden to replace Trump. I am sure there are women lying under the surface just waiting to come out on him

How are you sure of that?
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 14259
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:43 am

af773atmsp wrote:
Hearing these stories makes me want to just not talk to anyone at work; just go in, do work, and get out.


Use your best judgment, but err on the side of not "dipping your pen in company ink," so to speak. I learned the hard way, and when I was in my early 20s, entered into a consensual physical relationship with a co-worker who said she and her husband were separated.

Turned out, they weren't. And her friends at work found out about us.

Once that happened and she was confronted by them, she suddenly claimed she was the victim of harassment by me to save face, and even though I had evidence that proved most of what she said was fabricated, I was suspended without pay for two weeks.

From that moment forward, I learned to not show even the slightest interest in co-workers other than being professional. I'd look at the floor whenever women were nearby, just to avoid any potential confusion. I'd avoid off-site company celebrations like the plague. It got to the point where female members of the management team would ask, "Why won't you look me in the eye when we talk?"

It wasn't until several years later, once I was engaged to a girl I'd met outside of work, that I was eventually promoted and joined the ranks of management. And now, being on the other side of the desk giving "that talk" to guys who foolishly pursued romance and/or made inappropriate comments at work, I share my story with them so they can learn from it.

Thankfully, I've also been able to stop unwarranted career destruction from happening to one man at the hands of a female co-worker who accused him of harassment, he and I had "the talk," and then a day later she started trying to engage him afterward and ran to me claiming he was the aggressor - even though I'd seen firsthand that she tried to engage him.

I've gotta admit, it felt good to give her the "zero tolerance" and "no retaliation" directive while warning that in this case, she was actually guilty of creating a hostile work environment for him.

But had I not seen it firsthand? His career would have been over, all because she was exercising her power as a female to make accusations to get attention. Now, do all women do this? NO! But does it happen? ABSOLUTELY.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
ltbewr
Posts: 13010
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:57 am

Pres. Trump has...well not endorsed Moore, but made it clear not to vote for the 'liberal Democrat' opponent. I don't think he cares about anyone, especially women, just his own selfish self and the power of being President. Sadly too for every Moore, the right finds a Sen. Franken to bash and try to say that the 'other' side is worse. Who is next on the hit list of sexual abusive men ? At what point will someone be falsely accused and ruined, so then shutting down the outing that is still needed.
 
seb146
Posts: 15692
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:51 am

ltbewr wrote:
Pres. Trump has...well not endorsed Moore, but made it clear not to vote for the 'liberal Democrat' opponent. I don't think he cares about anyone, especially women,


Of course he cares about women. Just not the liars who accused him and Roy Moore. Didn't you hear the press conference? Roy Moore is the victim in all of this, not those girls. Trump himself said so and you know he can be trusted, okay?
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter
 
stratosphere
Posts: 1289
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:13 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
stratosphere wrote:
Im ok with that and I hope you won't support creepy uncle Joe Biden to replace Trump. I am sure there are women lying under the surface just waiting to come out on him

How are you sure of that?


Jeez Bob just look at any picture taken with that guy his hands are everywhere but in his pockets. He always trying to hug women or kiss them you can see in some pics that women are uncomfortable with it. That's how some people started calling him creepy uncle Joe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy07yHAgM4E
 
seb146
Posts: 15692
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:44 pm

stratosphere wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:
stratosphere wrote:
Im ok with that and I hope you won't support creepy uncle Joe Biden to replace Trump. I am sure there are women lying under the surface just waiting to come out on him

How are you sure of that?


Jeez Bob just look at any picture taken with that guy his hands are everywhere but in his pockets. He always trying to hug women or kiss them you can see in some pics that women are uncomfortable with it. That's how some people started calling him creepy uncle Joe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy07yHAgM4E


Merciful heavens! He was touching.... THEIR SHOULDERS!!! Oh, the horror of it all!!! NOOOOO!!!!! Not the upper arm!!! Oh, Joe, how could you???
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter
 
User avatar
BobPatterson
Posts: 3381
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 am

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:47 pm

stratosphere wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:
stratosphere wrote:
Im ok with that and I hope you won't support creepy uncle Joe Biden to replace Trump. I am sure there are women lying under the surface just waiting to come out on him

How are you sure of that?


Jeez Bob just look at any picture taken with that guy his hands are everywhere but in his pockets. He always trying to hug women or kiss them you can see in some pics that women are uncomfortable with it. That's how some people started calling him creepy uncle Joe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy07yHAgM4E

Oh. I thought maybe you knew of actual women who were prepared to come forward and charge Mr. Biden with lewd, lascivious or sexually offensive conduct.

"Some people" call Mr. Biden a true blue Irish politician. Everyone gets touched. Even with his wife standing by.

Do you rely on Breitbart for most of your news?
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 905
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:36 am

Harvey Weinstein, TWC Accused of Sex Trafficking at 2014 Cannes Film Festival

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/ ... -festival/
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 5929
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:13 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Pres. Trump has...well not endorsed Moore, but made it clear not to vote for the 'liberal Democrat' opponent.

Talk about fuzzy logic. Thankfully, even fuzzy logic falls victim to circumstantial evidence.

Had Trump kept silence, true fuzzy logic would be at play (he hasn't endorsed Moore but hasn't disavowed him either). By asking people to not vote for the Democrat, he's tacitly endorsed Moore (even if the actual words haven't been uttered yet).

But of course, if regular logic is too hard for him to understand, fuzzy logic would be the equivalent of grad school.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 5014
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:30 pm

seb146 wrote:
...Again, people rush to defend Republicans by crying "BILL CLINTON!" so why not have my own blast from the past?.


I am of the opinion while in the process of digging dirt on Trump, this issue reached a tipping point. Good for the society.

Not long ago Rolling Stone got schooled for attempting to cover an alleged sexual assault story.
 
apodino
Posts: 3176
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:11 am

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:33 pm

Back in the 1960's this type of story would have been unheard of, as sex was something that just wasn't talked about period and I do believe we suffered for it. At the time two men saw this as a problem and dedicated much of their lives to turning this around. One of those men was the late Hugh Hefner, who founded Playboy. The other man was named Karol Wojtyla. Wojtyla would later become John Paul II, and was so dedicated to this issue he once gave a papal audience on simultaneous climax. The two men took radically different approaches to this topic, and while Hefner's approach is more mainstream, John Paul II's teaching on this has become very popular among millennial catholics.

I mention the 1960's because it was during this time that Pope Paul VI came out with Humane Vitae. It was also during this time that birth control and contraception became much more mainstream as well. Pope Paul VI said to much criticism that the widespread availability of these items would cause rising infidelity, less respect for women by men in general, an increase in the divorce rate, and men and women who see each other as objects for gratification rather than individuals to love. If you look at the statistics on these issues since the 1960's, I would say these predictions have all rang true. The Moore allegations go back to the 70s, and unless you have been under a rock you have seen tons of famous men cheating on their women, or otherwise abusing women, not to mention women using their own sex to prey on vulnerable men. If we want to trace the origins of this culture, this is one area I would look into.

The issue is far bigger than this though. We as a society have forgotten how to love. Guys see beautiful women, and instead of seeing them as good people and treating them with respect, all they see is a home for their manhood to park itself in. And if the man is powerful, he sees an entitlement to that regardless of what she feels. Tiger Woods even said his status as the best golfer in the world made him feel entitled to these women, and thus he lost his wife Elin in this thought. Beautiful women realize they have assets that men want and they use these to get guys thinking with the wrong brain so that they can get what they want. Less than attractive women are jealous of these women and thus suffer depression and body image issues because of this. I could go on and on, but there are a lot of things that have contributed to this problem, and like a lot of issue in this country I am not sure we can solve these issues politically. Despite what my post implies, I don't think Birth Control should be banned, and there are many cases where women do need such medicine to regulate their cycles. The way we are going to solve this issues is to learn how to love again, and learn how to treat people with respect. Insulting people you don't agree with because of politics is not going to solve the problem. Voting for politicians or supporting politicians who have a questionable history on this regard (Trump, Franken, Conyers, Moore, etc.) is not going to solve the problem. The way we are going to solve this is to start treating people with respect.
 
seb146
Posts: 15692
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Sexual Assault - all of it

Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:06 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
seb146 wrote:
...Again, people rush to defend Republicans by crying "BILL CLINTON!" so why not have my own blast from the past?.


I am of the opinion while in the process of digging dirt on Trump, this issue reached a tipping point. Good for the society.

Not long ago Rolling Stone got schooled for attempting to cover an alleged sexual assault story.


That just proves there are shady journalists. Most of them end up on Fox, but they still get to reputable outlets, too.
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos