User avatar
DDR
Topic Author
Posts: 1137
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:09 pm

Egypt mosque attack

Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:43 pm

Why has there not been a thread on this subject? 300 people killed. Anytime there is a chance to bash the United Stated a new thread pops up, but nothing on this sad attack.
 
seb146
Posts: 15685
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Egypt mosque attack

Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:59 pm

My theory is two reasons:

1. It was not in the United States or a very close ally.
2. It was Muslim on Muslim violence.

Look at all the time given to the evacuation of a Tube Station in London the same day with the words "possible terror attack" along with that and it turned out to be nothing. But, Muslim on Muslim violence in a Muslim country? meh... There was also a bombing in Pakistan. Four killed at least 19 injured. Pakistani Taliban claims responsibility.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2017 ... e-say.html
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter
 
User avatar
BobPatterson
Posts: 3381
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 am

Re: Egypt mosque attack

Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:03 pm

DDR wrote:
Why has there not been a thread on this subject? 300 people killed. Anytime there is a chance to bash the United Stated a new thread pops up, but nothing on this sad attack.

Fairly low participation in the forum over the long holiday weekend.

Might you have started the thread sooner? And with a link to a competent news source?
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.
 
User avatar
WarRI1
Posts: 10393
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:51 am

Re: Egypt mosque attack

Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:46 am

As these atrocities continue, one suffers from over exposure and fatigue. I am at this point now.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.
 
User avatar
MrHMSH
Posts: 2011
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: Egypt mosque attack

Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:02 am

seb146 wrote:
My theory is two reasons:

1. It was not in the United States or a very close ally.
2. It was Muslim on Muslim violence.

Look at all the time given to the evacuation of a Tube Station in London the same day with the words "possible terror attack" along with that and it turned out to be nothing. But, Muslim on Muslim violence in a Muslim country? meh... There was also a bombing in Pakistan. Four killed at least 19 injured. Pakistani Taliban claims responsibility.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2017 ... e-say.html


Now seems like a good time to ask why atrocities like these, and they happen very often, don't inspire any change. I realise this would require criticism of Islam so you'll just change the subject to the same thing as usual, but I make known my humble opinion that the Islamic world should really be reacting to these events, asking questions of themselves and their beliefs, whether they are doing enough to stop terrorists and how they could do more. Alas, nothing will change and we just wait for the next one.
 
frmrCapCadet
Posts: 1672
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: Egypt mosque attack

Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:31 pm

Juan Cole, of Informed Comment, is a good source for analyzing these sorts of events. In this case he points out that it was a Sufi mosque, and the attackers consider such to be a polytheistic heresy. But most Muslims often go to the nearest or favorite mosque so it was likely not just Sufis who died. A second factor is how this relates to Egypt, the suppression of the Muslim Brotherhood, and Isis which likely is opposed to both. And there are after effects of the treaty Israeli/Egyptian treaty which returned the Sinai peninsula to Egypt.

His strength is identifying the players, probable players, and interactions amongst them and various governments. He is not shy about his own opinions but identifies those opinions, and often comments on their uncertainty.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 9403
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Egypt mosque attack

Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:25 pm

Extricating religion from politics is a political process, not a religious one.

I'm not saying Islam (the many variations of Islam, really) doesn't need to evolve, I'm saying that as long as using Islam to cement political power is common, you can't expect much progress.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
User avatar
bgm
Posts: 1358
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:37 am

Re: Egypt mosque attack

Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:44 pm

If this attack was on a church, you'd have endless threads and Trumpy Pumpy would be all over it on Twitter calling for more travel bans etc.

But because the victims were Muslim.... meh.... nothing to see, move on.
"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." -George Carlin
 
seb146
Posts: 15685
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Egypt mosque attack

Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:19 pm

MrHMSH wrote:
seb146 wrote:
My theory is two reasons:

1. It was not in the United States or a very close ally.
2. It was Muslim on Muslim violence.

Look at all the time given to the evacuation of a Tube Station in London the same day with the words "possible terror attack" along with that and it turned out to be nothing. But, Muslim on Muslim violence in a Muslim country? meh... There was also a bombing in Pakistan. Four killed at least 19 injured. Pakistani Taliban claims responsibility.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2017 ... e-say.html


Now seems like a good time to ask why atrocities like these, and they happen very often, don't inspire any change. I realise this would require criticism of Islam so you'll just change the subject to the same thing as usual, but I make known my humble opinion that the Islamic world should really be reacting to these events, asking questions of themselves and their beliefs, whether they are doing enough to stop terrorists and how they could do more. Alas, nothing will change and we just wait for the next one.


Why be critical of Islam? It is the followers who are to blame, not Islam. As the right says: guns don't kill people, people kill people. So, let's extend that to Islam. People use Islam to manipulate people. Islam itself kills zero people every year. It is how people use Islam that kills people.

The terror attack at the mosque in Egypt was sectarian. In other words: one group of Muslims believe that another group of Muslims are infidels and need to be punished by death. They base that on their interpretation of Islam.
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter
 
User avatar
Dahlgardo
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:46 am

Re: Egypt mosque attack

Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:17 pm

seb146 wrote:
Why be critical of Nazism? It is the followers who are to blame, not Nazism. As the right says: guns don't kill people, people kill people. So, let's extend that to Nazism. People use Nazism to manipulate people. Nazism itself kills zero people every year. It is how people use Nazism that kills people.

The holocaust was sectarian. In other words: one group of Germans believe that another group of Germans infidels and need to be punished by death. They base that on their interpretation of Nazism


Yeah!
leave your nines at home and bring your skills to the battle
 
User avatar
MrHMSH
Posts: 2011
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: Egypt mosque attack

Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:19 pm

seb146 wrote:

Why be critical of Islam?



Shall I start with the homophobia, subjugation of women, sectarianism, terrorism or the whole setup and how hard it is to challenge/change?


It is the followers who are to blame, not Islam. As the right says: guns don't kill people, people kill people. So, let's extend that to Islam. People use Islam to manipulate people. Islam itself kills zero people every year. It is how people use Islam that kills people.


As I don't subscribe to right-wing ideologies you'll have to rethink your argument, preferably without mentioning the United States, because I fear you simply cannot argue anything without reference to things you're comfortable criticising. Try again, but with the information that I don't really give a flying fig about what the right in the USA thinks and don't care to hear about them. Remember, in some Islamic countries being gay, a woman, the wrong type of Islam or the wrong religion is a guarantee of subjugation, misery or death. How you don't feel angry beyond belief at it is beyond my understanding. You're being overly picky with words, Islam is a figment of people's imagination, like all religions. You think the followers are to blame? Then get criticising them. And tell Muslims themselves to start as well, change happens much faster when it comes from within.

The terror attack at the mosque in Egypt was sectarian. In other words: one group of Muslims believe that another group of Muslims are infidels and need to be punished by death. They base that on their interpretation of Islam.


The fact that there can be that interpretation and neither can be wrong is troublesome. So why not change it? Oh right, we can't be criticising Islam, can we?
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 10928
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Egypt mosque attack

Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:35 pm

DDR wrote:
Why has there not been a thread on this subject? 300 people killed. Anytime there is a chance to bash the United Stated a new thread pops up, but nothing on this sad attack.


It's been all over the news here but frankly I'm not that interested. Apart from my granddad being there in WW2 I have no affinity towards Egypt, it's not a country I'm interested in visiting, I'm sure they (Egyptians) aren't interested in events that happen in Norway or New Zealand either.

bgm wrote:
If this attack was on a church, you'd have endless threads and Trumpy Pumpy would be all over it on Twitter calling for more travel bans etc.

But because the victims were Muslim.... meh.... nothing to see, move on.


If it was 300 dead in a church in Egypt my reaction would have been the same meh, who cares.

I'm pretty sure I'm now like most people, I'm immune to violent news, fatigue set in a long time ago, I'm only interested if its someplace I can relate to.
 
User avatar
DDR
Topic Author
Posts: 1137
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:09 pm

Re: Egypt mosque attack

Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:57 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
DDR wrote:
Why has there not been a thread on this subject? 300 people killed. Anytime there is a chance to bash the United Stated a new thread pops up, but nothing on this sad attack.

Fairly low participation in the forum over the long holiday weekend.

Might you have started the thread sooner? And with a link to a competent news source?


It's all over the news Bob. I think you can locate a "competent news source" on your own. If you are unable to do that, send me a PM and I will help you out. Pretty sure everyone else on this forum was able to find information about this attack. Why the snarky response?
 
User avatar
BobPatterson
Posts: 3381
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 am

Re: Egypt mosque attack

Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:10 am

DDR wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:
DDR wrote:
Why has there not been a thread on this subject? 300 people killed. Anytime there is a chance to bash the United Stated a new thread pops up, but nothing on this sad attack.

Fairly low participation in the forum over the long holiday weekend.

Might you have started the thread sooner? And with a link to a competent news source?


It's all over the news Bob. I think you can locate a "competent news source" on your own. If you are unable to do that, send me a PM and I will help you out. Pretty sure everyone else on this forum was able to find information about this attack. Why the snarky response?

Nothing snarky about it. Those who start threads should provide information. After all, YOU got your information somewhere.

Why would you not help others by posting a link?
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.
 
seb146
Posts: 15685
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Egypt mosque attack

Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:35 am

MrHMSH wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Why be critical of Islam?



Shall I start with the homophobia, subjugation of women, sectarianism, terrorism or the whole setup and how hard it is to challenge/change?


It is the followers who are to blame, not Islam. As the right says: guns don't kill people, people kill people. So, let's extend that to Islam. People use Islam to manipulate people. Islam itself kills zero people every year. It is how people use Islam that kills people.


As I don't subscribe to right-wing ideologies you'll have to rethink your argument, preferably without mentioning the United States, because I fear you simply cannot argue anything without reference to things you're comfortable criticising. Try again, but with the information that I don't really give a flying fig about what the right in the USA thinks and don't care to hear about them. Remember, in some Islamic countries being gay, a woman, the wrong type of Islam or the wrong religion is a guarantee of subjugation, misery or death. How you don't feel angry beyond belief at it is beyond my understanding. You're being overly picky with words, Islam is a figment of people's imagination, like all religions. You think the followers are to blame? Then get criticising them. And tell Muslims themselves to start as well, change happens much faster when it comes from within.

The terror attack at the mosque in Egypt was sectarian. In other words: one group of Muslims believe that another group of Muslims are infidels and need to be punished by death. They base that on their interpretation of Islam.


The fact that there can be that interpretation and neither can be wrong is troublesome. So why not change it? Oh right, we can't be criticising Islam, can we?


At it's core, Christianity is homophobic, subjugates women and other races, and is sexist. Look at the terrorist attacks in Ireland based on Christianity. Look at the missions in the American West and how the Christian churches treated Natives. However, it is not Christianity itself that is not the problem. It is the people and how they interpret it. If Islam were as violent as you think it is, why are there not more bombings of mosques in the United States and Canada by Muslims? Why is it only lone wolf attacks by Muslims recently? Why is it only attacks on Muslims trying to live their lives?
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter
 
User avatar
MrHMSH
Posts: 2011
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: Egypt mosque attack

Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:15 am

Remember when I said 'without mentioning the United States'. I think I may even have said it twice. You mentioned the United States. Again. You cannot argue without reference to it. Now, I request respectfully that when you make a defence for Islam: Don't mention the United States unless it's really revevant. Actually defend what you mean to defend, we've done this so many times before and yet you still do not EVER make a defence for what you're defending, just change the subject to something you're comfortable criticising. Yes, I agree, the USA has loads of problems and I agree with you on many of them. But FFS you don't have to mention them EVERY SINGLE TIME.

seb146 wrote:

At it's core, Christianity is homophobic, subjugates women and other races, and is sexist. Look at the terrorist attacks in Ireland based on Christianity. Look at the missions in the American West and how the Christian churches treated Natives.


I agree 100%, I'm not sure why you don't remember that. I think all religion is near-total drivel and that there is so much to criticise is honestly quite disturbing. I look at all the stuff done by Christians and I don't want to be associated with that. So I don't.

However, it is not Christianity itself that is not the problem. It is the people and how they interpret it.


Christianity is purely a figment of imagination, OK, 'Christianity isn't the problem', people are the problem. OK then, people, get your arse into gear and get it sorted! The fact that you can interpret differently and not be wrong is quite alarming.

If Islam were as violent as you think it is, why are there not more bombings of mosques in the United States and Canada by Muslims? Why is it only lone wolf attacks by Muslims recently? Why is it only attacks on Muslims trying to live their lives?


Getting into the USA and Canada is relatively hard, and planning an attack without getting caught even harder. But let's pretend that there is an entire world outside the United States and Canada, you see atrocities like this all the time, and nothing is done about it. I think something should be done, starting with challenging the ideology that inspires these attacks. If you honestly don't think that should be done, then you're little more than a sympathiser for all these atrocities. Something like Islam should be near the top of your hit list but you'd still rather just discuss America even when America is completely irrelevant to the discussion. For shame.
 
seb146
Posts: 15685
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Egypt mosque attack

Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:32 am

MrHMSH wrote:
Remember when I said 'without mentioning the United States'. I think I may even have said it twice. You mentioned the United States. Again. You cannot argue without reference to it. Now, I request respectfully that when you make a defence for Islam: Don't mention the United States unless it's really revevant. Actually defend what you mean to defend, we've done this so many times before and yet you still do not EVER make a defence for what you're defending, just change the subject to something you're comfortable criticising. Yes, I agree, the USA has loads of problems and I agree with you on many of them. But FFS you don't have to mention them EVERY SINGLE TIME.

seb146 wrote:

At it's core, Christianity is homophobic, subjugates women and other races, and is sexist. Look at the terrorist attacks in Ireland based on Christianity. Look at the missions in the American West and how the Christian churches treated Natives.


I agree 100%, I'm not sure why you don't remember that. I think all religion is near-total drivel and that there is so much to criticise is honestly quite disturbing. I look at all the stuff done by Christians and I don't want to be associated with that. So I don't.

However, it is not Christianity itself that is not the problem. It is the people and how they interpret it.


Christianity is purely a figment of imagination, OK, 'Christianity isn't the problem', people are the problem. OK then, people, get your arse into gear and get it sorted! The fact that you can interpret differently and not be wrong is quite alarming.

If Islam were as violent as you think it is, why are there not more bombings of mosques in the United States and Canada by Muslims? Why is it only lone wolf attacks by Muslims recently? Why is it only attacks on Muslims trying to live their lives?


Getting into the USA and Canada is relatively hard, and planning an attack without getting caught even harder. But let's pretend that there is an entire world outside the United States and Canada, you see atrocities like this all the time, and nothing is done about it. I think something should be done, starting with challenging the ideology that inspires these attacks. If you honestly don't think that should be done, then you're little more than a sympathiser for all these atrocities. Something like Islam should be near the top of your hit list but you'd still rather just discuss America even when America is completely irrelevant to the discussion. For shame.


So the point of all of your rants is to try to shake my faith as a Christian and get me to be atheist.

We are done here.
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter
 
User avatar
MrHMSH
Posts: 2011
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: Egypt mosque attack

Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:39 am

seb146 wrote:
MrHMSH wrote:
Remember when I said 'without mentioning the United States'. I think I may even have said it twice. You mentioned the United States. Again. You cannot argue without reference to it. Now, I request respectfully that when you make a defence for Islam: Don't mention the United States unless it's really revevant. Actually defend what you mean to defend, we've done this so many times before and yet you still do not EVER make a defence for what you're defending, just change the subject to something you're comfortable criticising. Yes, I agree, the USA has loads of problems and I agree with you on many of them. But FFS you don't have to mention them EVERY SINGLE TIME.

seb146 wrote:

At it's core, Christianity is homophobic, subjugates women and other races, and is sexist. Look at the terrorist attacks in Ireland based on Christianity. Look at the missions in the American West and how the Christian churches treated Natives.


I agree 100%, I'm not sure why you don't remember that. I think all religion is near-total drivel and that there is so much to criticise is honestly quite disturbing. I look at all the stuff done by Christians and I don't want to be associated with that. So I don't.

However, it is not Christianity itself that is not the problem. It is the people and how they interpret it.


Christianity is purely a figment of imagination, OK, 'Christianity isn't the problem', people are the problem. OK then, people, get your arse into gear and get it sorted! The fact that you can interpret differently and not be wrong is quite alarming.

If Islam were as violent as you think it is, why are there not more bombings of mosques in the United States and Canada by Muslims? Why is it only lone wolf attacks by Muslims recently? Why is it only attacks on Muslims trying to live their lives?


Getting into the USA and Canada is relatively hard, and planning an attack without getting caught even harder. But let's pretend that there is an entire world outside the United States and Canada, you see atrocities like this all the time, and nothing is done about it. I think something should be done, starting with challenging the ideology that inspires these attacks. If you honestly don't think that should be done, then you're little more than a sympathiser for all these atrocities. Something like Islam should be near the top of your hit list but you'd still rather just discuss America even when America is completely irrelevant to the discussion. For shame.


So the point of all of your rants is to try to shake my faith as a Christian and get me to be atheist.

We are done here.


No, just trying to get you to be more critical. Being critical is a good way to make things better. If you want to be faithful, all power to you, but you're quite open to accusations of hypocrisy. Not sure how anyone who claims to be in favour of more LGBT rights could be religious, at least not for ones that are quite openly homophobic to some extent.
 
seb146
Posts: 15685
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Egypt mosque attack

Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:52 pm

MrHMSH wrote:
seb146 wrote:
MrHMSH wrote:
Remember when I said 'without mentioning the United States'. I think I may even have said it twice. You mentioned the United States. Again. You cannot argue without reference to it. Now, I request respectfully that when you make a defence for Islam: Don't mention the United States unless it's really revevant. Actually defend what you mean to defend, we've done this so many times before and yet you still do not EVER make a defence for what you're defending, just change the subject to something you're comfortable criticising. Yes, I agree, the USA has loads of problems and I agree with you on many of them. But FFS you don't have to mention them EVERY SINGLE TIME.



I agree 100%, I'm not sure why you don't remember that. I think all religion is near-total drivel and that there is so much to criticise is honestly quite disturbing. I look at all the stuff done by Christians and I don't want to be associated with that. So I don't.



Christianity is purely a figment of imagination, OK, 'Christianity isn't the problem', people are the problem. OK then, people, get your arse into gear and get it sorted! The fact that you can interpret differently and not be wrong is quite alarming.



Getting into the USA and Canada is relatively hard, and planning an attack without getting caught even harder. But let's pretend that there is an entire world outside the United States and Canada, you see atrocities like this all the time, and nothing is done about it. I think something should be done, starting with challenging the ideology that inspires these attacks. If you honestly don't think that should be done, then you're little more than a sympathiser for all these atrocities. Something like Islam should be near the top of your hit list but you'd still rather just discuss America even when America is completely irrelevant to the discussion. For shame.


So the point of all of your rants is to try to shake my faith as a Christian and get me to be atheist.

We are done here.


No, just trying to get you to be more critical. Being critical is a good way to make things better. If you want to be faithful, all power to you, but you're quite open to accusations of hypocrisy. Not sure how anyone who claims to be in favour of more LGBT rights could be religious, at least not for ones that are quite openly homophobic to some extent.


Islam, like Christianity, has it's bad points. In both, there are people and sects who hate and do everything in their power to make life miserable for those they hate. You bring up LGBTQ rights. Because of Christianity, people think we deserve no rights at all. In fact, some "Christians" believe that all us LGBTQ should be rounded up and exiled to some island somewhere to die. Some "Muslims" are not as subtle as that but feel the same way.

What is so wrong with looking at Islam the same as Christianity? That there are a-holes and there are those who simply want to practice their religion?
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter
 
User avatar
MrHMSH
Posts: 2011
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: Egypt mosque attack

Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:00 pm

seb146 wrote:
Islam, like Christianity, has it's bad points. In both, there are people and sects who hate and do everything in their power to make life miserable for those they hate. You bring up LGBTQ rights. Because of Christianity, people think we deserve no rights at all. In fact, some "Christians" believe that all us LGBTQ should be rounded up and exiled to some island somewhere to die. Some "Muslims" are not as subtle as that but feel the same way.

What is so wrong with looking at Islam the same as Christianity? That there are a-holes and there are those who simply want to practice their religion?


Nothing at all, in fact it's what I've been asking you to do. You don't give Islam the same deal as you do Christianity, if you like one you should like the other, if you dislike one you should dislike the other. If you're able to criticise one for being a touch on the oppressive side, the other should be no issue. an LGBT person should have no issues criticising given how they are treated by religions sometimes. And yet, you don't seem that willing to criticise Islam when I think you should, because you instead prefer to change the subject to something you're comfortable discussing, you seem like criticising Islam makes you like the American Right and so you're hesitant to do it. Criticism isn't and should never be illegal.
 
PayaLebar
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:28 am

Re: Egypt mosque attack

Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:04 am

seb146 wrote:
2. It was Muslim on Muslim violence.


Islam is a very sick religion and it is on its death throes.
 
User avatar
SheikhDjibouti
Posts: 471
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:59 pm

Re: Egypt mosque attack

Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:04 pm

seb146 wrote:
At it's core, Christianity is homophobic, subjugates women and other races, and is sexist. Look at the terrorist attacks in Ireland based on Christianity.


At it's core, Christianity was homophobic (as was society all around it). But both Christianity and society as a whole have been changing, and are still changing, for the better. And some branches of Christianity are changing faster than others.

At it's core, Christianity subjugates women and other races, and is sexist (just like society all around it). But both Christianity and society as a whole have been changing, and are still changing, for the better. And some branches of Christianity are changing faster than others.

"Look at the terrorist attacks in Ireland based on Christianity". No! Look at the terrorist attacks in Ireland, that were based on politics; religion was just a side issue. But this situation changed on 10th April 1998, very much for the better.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Friday_Agreement

No doubt, apologists for Islam will offer a counter-argument that Islam is changing too. This is desperately needed, but it is happening too slowly.
In our depraved western world, society changes without reference to religion, and Christianity is then forced to play catch-up, often lagging behind by 20 or 30 years (some might argue more)
Where Islam holds sway, society isn't allowed to change, and Islam can take it's own time changing oh-so-slowly, if at all.
Why should Islam take the lead role in acknowledging women's rights, when the Saudi Gov't (heavily influenced by Islam) denies women basic rights? This was the situation in Western society two hundred years ago, with governments and Christianity backing each other up, to maintain the status quo. But for us, all that has changed.

The same now needs to happen for Islam and the countries it has a choke-hold on. It means giving up power, and nobody likes doing that.
There are two things that happen when you get old.
1. You start to lose your memory.
2. What was I saying again?
 
seb146
Posts: 15685
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Egypt mosque attack

Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:15 pm

MrHMSH wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Islam, like Christianity, has it's bad points. In both, there are people and sects who hate and do everything in their power to make life miserable for those they hate. You bring up LGBTQ rights. Because of Christianity, people think we deserve no rights at all. In fact, some "Christians" believe that all us LGBTQ should be rounded up and exiled to some island somewhere to die. Some "Muslims" are not as subtle as that but feel the same way.

What is so wrong with looking at Islam the same as Christianity? That there are a-holes and there are those who simply want to practice their religion?


Nothing at all, in fact it's what I've been asking you to do. You don't give Islam the same deal as you do Christianity, if you like one you should like the other, if you dislike one you should dislike the other. If you're able to criticise one for being a touch on the oppressive side, the other should be no issue. an LGBT person should have no issues criticising given how they are treated by religions sometimes. And yet, you don't seem that willing to criticise Islam when I think you should, because you instead prefer to change the subject to something you're comfortable discussing, you seem like criticising Islam makes you like the American Right and so you're hesitant to do it. Criticism isn't and should never be illegal.


wow... you don't know me at all, do you? Go back and read the exchanges between me and Dreadnought or me and.... whats-his-name.... The other poster who was farther to the right than Dreadnought. I am constantly under attack (not the right term) on this site for being too liberal.

I do have problems with Islam as much as I have problems with Christianity. Islam is changing, especially in progressive nations like Canada and Spain and Germany and, to a lesser extent, United States. The problem is, as you point out, nations like Saudia Arabia and Iran and Iraq where they still follow very strict forms of Islam. My interactions with Muslims in the United States and Canada finds that they are much more accepting of LGBTQ and other races and women. Christians in United States, however, are LESS accepting of other races, women and LGBTQ. How is pointing that out, that both religions have bad points and good points, the same as being soft of only Islam?
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter
 
PayaLebar
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:28 am

Re: Egypt mosque attack

Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:58 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Where Islam holds sway, society isn't allowed to change, and Islam can take it's own time changing oh-so-slowly, if at all.
Why should Islam take the lead role in acknowledging women's rights, when the Saudi Gov't (heavily influenced by Islam) denies women basic rights? This was the situation in Western society two hundred years ago, with governments and Christianity backing each other up, to maintain the status quo. But for us, all that has changed. The same now needs to happen for Islam and the countries it has a choke-hold on. It means giving up power, and nobody likes doing that.


The late PM of Singapore foresees that Islam will only change when the oil runs out. Watch this clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KDjjXUx9bY
 
User avatar
readytotaxi
Posts: 4752
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 am

Re: Egypt mosque attack

Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:50 pm

From a European perspective I think Spain will benefit greatly during the next year in terms of tourism, mainland and islands. Attacks in Turkey and Egypt filter down to this market. Tunisia is still struggling to recover in a UK P.O.V.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
 
PayaLebar
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:28 am

Re: Egypt mosque attack

Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:30 am

readytotaxi wrote:
From a European perspective I think Spain will benefit greatly during the next year in terms of tourism, mainland and islands. Attacks in Turkey and Egypt filter down to this market. Tunisia is still struggling to recover in a UK P.O.V.


Spain has been benefiting since the release of the movie - Innocence of Muslims in September 2012, which triggered rioting throughout the Muslim World.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 787Driver, Doona, Dutchy, fr8mech, Redd, scbriml and 42 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos