einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Experience with the Nest thermostat

Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:24 am

I went ahead and bout a Nest thermostat on Black Friday for $50 off. Will probably set it up later in the week.

Anyone have stories to share about it (good or bad)?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

sccutler

Re: Experience with the Nest thermostat

Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:47 pm

It's cool-looking, does what it says it will. Not terribly reliable, but for most people, a fine choice.

I prefer the less-costly but equally capable units from Honeywell, but that's just my preference.

Also, cool thing you can do (with Nest and a number of other remote t-stats): use a remote sensor from WirelessTag.net to control the stat from a room with no thermostat/thermostat wiring.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:55 pm

sccutler wrote:
It's cool-looking, does what it says it will. Not terribly reliable, but for most people, a fine choice.

I prefer the less-costly but equally capable units from Honeywell, but that's just my preference.

That's actually the one I currently have installed. I guess I just thought adding WiFi to a sensor would be a move to save a bit more money.

DLFREEBIRD

Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:11 pm

yeah, make sure your installation goes perfect. we had someone install it on a angle so the charger was bent and we didn't get a full charge. I finally bought a new one.

we put in motion detectors and google voice activated, water sensors for the bathroom and kitchen we installed camera at every entry
what it does is make it a smart home, smart homes saves on energy it also helps mitigates any water damage, or smoke alerts. Since it sends alerts to my phone when i'm not at home. With the motion detector it shuts everything down, when you leave, so you save on electricity, gas. All these gadgets pays for themselves in about 18 months is what we found.

STT757

Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:50 pm

I just installed two Nest thermostats, I have dual zone, and the installation and set up was easy. When you take the cover off your existing thermostat take a picture of the wiring set up, and make sure you use the labels. So far it seems to be turning down the heat when I'm not home, which will save on my gas bill. I think the big savings will be during the Summer when it moderates the AC when I'm not home. I think it will take a little while before I can tell whether it has had an effect on the bills.

I just started getting into the home automation. I purchased the Nest protect smoke detectors but I haven't had time to install them yet, I installed the Phillips Hue lights in my bedroom which I love. I also ordered the Ring floodlight cams. My next purchase is the Ring doorbell cam, the Nest home security system, Lutron light switches and then a hub to link it all together.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

dtw2hyd

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:07 pm

Nest is the most popular, but not the smartest thermostat. Bought ecobee3 with 3 remote sensors for $169 from Costco. It can monitor presence and temperature from three more locations in the house and heat/cool accordingly.

Sensi WiFi thermostats are a good alternative if you have an old furnace, but they are not super cheap compared to Nest or ecobee.

All smart thermostats(IoT devices) are vulnerable to participate in a DDoS attack.

Revelation

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:49 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Nest is the most popular, but not the smartest thermostat. Bought ecobee3 with 3 remote sensors for $169 from Costco. It can monitor presence and temperature from three more locations in the house and heat/cool accordingly.

Sensi WiFi thermostats are a good alternative if you have an old furnace, but they are not super cheap compared to Nest or ecobee.

All smart thermostats(IoT devices) are vulnerable to participate in a DDoS attack.

They're also reliant on back-end services to support the various apps on iPhone, Android, etc.

Many people are finding "smart" devices quickly become "dead" devices if the vendor fails or withdraws support.

That's the unspoken truth about the IoT: you lose some degree of control to an outside entity.

Just had a lawn irrigation system installed and went with the "dumb" version of the controller since I didn't want to be beholden to some outside entity to do something as basic as watering my lawn.
The gun is NOT a precious symbol of freedom
It is a deadly cancer on American society
Those who believe otherwise are consumed by an ideology
That is impervious to evidence

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:53 pm

STT757 wrote:
I also ordered the Ring floodlight cams. My next purchase is the Ring doorbell cam, the Nest home security system, Lutron light switches and then a hub to link it all together.

I thought about turning in the Nest and getting a Ring instead. The doorbell I have is only audible on the main level of my townhome. If I'm in the den or in my bedroom, I run the risk of not hearing it. Not that I get a lot of visitors, but not good either.

I DO want the Phillips Hue. I figured I'd start with the living room since it's the only room that doesn't have any lighting fixtures. I can bring in 3 lamps and set each one with a Hue lightbulb.

LAX772LR

Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:00 am

Have one, like it, does what it says.

It's supposed to "learn" your preferences, but in my experience, really never does.

So I finally just buckled down, and spent the 15min required to manually set a weekly profile for it... and it's worked great in that way ever since.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

vrbarreto

Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:28 pm

Interesting.. Was considering a nest as it allows control from Google Now and Alexa.. In the end I've just today had a Hive installed as I want to be able to get the sensors as well as the cameras... British Gas had it on a Black Friday deal..

DiamondFlyer

Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:22 pm

I've got an Ecobee, just seemed like a better piece of equipment when I bought it. And it is, only thing to be care of is, there was a batch of the remote sensors that were improperly assembled. Basically they didn't put the motion sensor over the motion sensing window, so if you get them, take a look to see if yours is in that range.
From my cold, dead hands

DLFREEBIRD

Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:49 am

STT757 wrote:
My next purchase is the Ring doorbell cam, the Nest home security system, Lutron light switches and then a hub to link it all together.

i have that as well. i have a video of a very good looking woman walking to my door taking one look at my ring doorbell and leaving, she then when to my next door neighbor
because my camera caught that, and she robbed him. We pieced that together from my camera which people think is a floodlight. Unfortunately, last March i also had someone come to my house see my camera in my front and backyard and i have them on camera removing both cameras. They drove up in a u haul and to this day i don't know how they got inside, My smart home, says that they did not use the door code to get in, but i have them on camera opening my door. anyway all they took was my outdoor camera/s. I got home within 10 minutes of seeing them on camera. they could of taken a lot of items in 10 minutes with the uhaul but they didn't . i can only assume, that they didn't like my taste in furniture.