Mortyman
Topic Author

Trump plans to replace Secretary of State Rex Tillerson

Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:07 pm

Trump plans to replace Secretary of State Rex Tillerson

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The White House has developed a plan to oust Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, who has had an increasingly tense relationship with President Donald Trump, and replace him with CIA director Mike Pompeo within weeks, senior administration officials said on Thursday.

Under the plan, Republican Senator Tom Cotton would be tapped to replace Pompeo at the Central Intelligence Agency, the New York Times reported, citing senior officials.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/white-house- ... 44859.html

TWA772LR

Re: Trump plans to replace Secretary of State Rex Tillerson

Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:41 pm

I better get in shape for when the draft comes around for the invasion of North Korea...

At least we know now that Tillerson was still trying to pursue diplomatic avenues for the NK situation, instead of the presumed good cop/bad cop tactic with Trump. Tillerson and Mattis are on the same page on the big issues, I wonder if he's next on the chopping block.
"It's not getting to the land of the nonrev that's the problem, it's getting back." ~~Captain Hector Barbossa
The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and don't necessarily reflect those of my employer.

MaverickM11

Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:59 pm

Rex probably didn’t hate the mooselambs enough for the predator in chief.
E pur si muove -Galileo

einsteinboricua

Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:36 pm

I thought this administration was working like a "fine-tuned machine". Has Trump and Co never heard of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

johns624

Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:59 pm

The more good people you fire, the harder it is to get anyone competent to replace them.

Dutchy

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:11 pm

Rex Tillerson must be relieved it is almost over.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

BobPatterson

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:16 pm

I wish Mr.Tillerson well. He tried to serve in a tough spot under an unstable master.

History will not treat him well, because of his decimation of the foreign service staff. This may be the most difficult of all the repairs to be made to government after Mr. Trump is ousted.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

MaverickM11

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:58 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
I thought this administration was working like a "fine-tuned machine". Has Trump and Co never heard of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

Trump’s main talent is breaking things, walking away, and claiming victory.
E pur si muove -Galileo

Francoflier

Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:45 am

BobPatterson wrote:
This may be the most difficult of all the repairs to be made to government after Mr. Trump is ousted.

I have no confidence that there is any intention to restore the State Department to what it once was if Tillerson is replaced.
The dismantling of the SD seems to follow a trend of methodical destruction of government agencies that Trump or his rich buddies (including Putin) don't really like.

Any replacement nominated by Trump will necessarily be a Trump apologist and disciplined pawn. Pompeo, rumoured to be the chosen one, indeed seems to fit the bill, as he has already gladly lied about findings of the very agency he directs to protect Trump's dealings with Russia.

The WH denies that they are looking to oust Tillerson:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42188872

Given this administration's track record, this might as well be confirmation that he is indeed being fired...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

dtw2hyd

Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:15 am

Looks like we are going to have an unconfirmed cabinet. I thought Kelly, Mattis, and Tillerson had a pact to quit if one of those three is fired.

WIederling

Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:58 am

So Trump is assembling a war cabinet of former military "Le May and Lemnitzer clone" types ?
Murphy is an optimist

keesje

Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:23 am

Apparently he did all the direct contacts with most of the world leaders.
Listening and taking to everybody & taking everything into account probably didn't land well with DT.
Tillerson can do perfectly without Trump, but the other way around..

According to the Center for Responsive Politics, Tillerson has made tens of thousands of dollars of political donations to Republican groups and candidates.[147] According to FEC records, he gave a total of $468,970 in contributions to Republican candidates and committees from 2000 to 2016.[148]

He has contributed to the political campaigns of George W. Bush,[147] as well as Mitt Romney in 2012, and Mitch McConnell.[149] He did not donate to Donald Trump's campaign.[147] He donated to Jeb Bush's campaign during the 2016 Republican primaries.[147][150]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rex_Tillerson

I don't like family dynasties in politics at all, but if just Jeb (or any other decent smart guy) had been elected.. Jeb has a nice Mexican wife. Probably no wall discussions.

DT is so full of it, nobody is even paying attention anymore.

In-cre-di-ble for a POTUS.
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

einsteinboricua

Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:27 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Looks like we are going to have an unconfirmed cabinet. I thought Kelly, Mattis, and Tillerson had a pact to quit if one of those three is fired.

But remember, it's Democrats who are obstructing his nominees...you know, the ones he still hasn't formally named.

I assume Pompeo must go through confirmation hearings again if he's selected to head the State Department?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

dtw2hyd

Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:01 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

But remember, it's Democrats who are obstructing his nominees...you know, the ones he still hasn't formally named.

I assume Pompeo must go through confirmation hearings again if he's selected to head the State Department?

I don't think Trump minds as long as second-in-command running those departments and the entire Executive branch is a one-man-show.

Republicans are already in trouble with Senate majority, not sure why are they plucking more Senators for cabinet positions.