Dutchy

Re: 5.1 magnitude Earthquake hits US State of Pennsylvania

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:09 pm

Pennsylvania? Is that near a fault?
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

OA260
Topic Author

5.1 magnitude Earthquake hits US State of Pennsylvania

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:09 pm

Sky News reporting a 5.1 has hit the state of Pennsylvania.

news.sky.com

einsteinboricua

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:14 pm

Inner plate earthquakes are extremely rare, especially in areas that don't have any reason for quakes. Geology points to buried fault lines. It was pretty shallow so I'd say it's just some rock layers readjusting.

Oklahoma quakes, on the other hand...
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Tugger

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:54 pm

There is a lot of Fracking in Pennsylvania. I am wondering if it is one of those regions.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

BobPatterson

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:00 pm

I felt it. I was sitting on the commode when the plumbing pipes shook for about 5 seconds, just at the time reported. I wondered if it could have been an earthquake. This makes the second quake I have noticed while sitting on that commode. The real third quake happened while I was in bed. It was much more severe, caused damage to the Washington Monument and National Cathedral.

The quake is rated at about 4.4 with a center below Dover, Delaware. Map shown in this article:

https://patch.com/pennsylvania/philadel ... nnsylvania

There are many ancient faults in the eastern USA. Most of them rarely call attention to themselves. We don't have the clashing of tectonic plates that are so well known on the west coast.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

einsteinboricua

Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:34 pm

Tugger wrote:
There is a lot of Fracking in Pennsylvania. I am wondering if it is one of those regions.

Tugg

Epicenter was in central-north Delaware so the title is a bit misleading. I'm not aware of fracking around Delaware though.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

dmg626

Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:16 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
I felt it. I was sitting on the commode when the plumbing pipes shook for about 5 seconds, just at the time reported. I wondered if it could have been an earthquake. This makes the second quake I have noticed while sitting on that commode. The real third quake happened while I was in bed. It was much more severe, caused damage to the Washington Monument and National Cathedral.

The quake is rated at about 4.4 with a center below Dover, Delaware. Map shown in this article:

https://patch.com/pennsylvania/philadel ... nnsylvania

There are many ancient faults in the eastern USA. Most of them rarely call attention to themselves. We don't have the clashing of tectonic plates that are so well known on the west coast.

Gee Bob, what did you have to eat for dinner :)

Tugger

Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:09 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

Epicenter was in central-north Delaware so the title is a bit misleading. I'm not aware of fracking around Delaware though.

Yes, I saw that later in the news about it after I'd posted. NOT a fracking region that I am aware of but who knows. I suspect it is just one of those few earthquakes the area does get from time to time even though the east coast is not known for it like the west is.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

PHLBOS

Re: 4.1 magnitude Earthquake hits US State of Delaware

Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:06 pm

The latest news report from a Philadelphia news station stated that the rating was adjusted/downgraded to a 4.1; the last time a quake of that magnitude occurred in Delaware was in 1871.

I was working in Philly at the time it hit. I didn't feel a thing although a couple of co-workers mentioned that they did feel something. OTOH, I did feel the 5.8 quake located north of Richmond, VA on Aug. 23, 2011 while in Philly. Many buildings were evacuated for about 1/2 hour following that one.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

prebennorholm

Re: 4.1 magnitude Earthquake hits US State of Delaware

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:56 am

PHLBOS wrote:
The latest news report from a Philadelphia news station stated that the rating was adjusted/downgraded to a 4.1; the last time a quake of that magnitude occurred in Delaware was in 1871.

I was working in Philly at the time it hit. I didn't feel a thing although a couple of co-workers mentioned that they did feel something. OTOH, I did feel the 5.8 quake located north of Richmond, VA on Aug. 23, 2011 while in Philly. Many buildings were evacuated for about 1/2 hour following that one.

4.1 and 5.8 are two entirely different things. 5.8 has about 50 times greater amplitude, and energy released is about 300 times greater.

Early morning 16 December 2008 I woke up to a five seconds long Richter 4.7 quake almost on top of the epicenter. I figured there might have been a nearby car crash, and ten seconds later I slept again as before.

Only in the evening did I learn from the news that this had been an earth quake, the worst earth quake here in Denmark for 150 years, and a cat and a turtle had been killed due to heavy stuff falling from shelves. The turtle had forgotten to pull in its head, and obviously the cat must have spent its previous 8 lives already. :o

Richter 5.8 is nothing to joke about, while 4.1 is hardly noticeable unless you are totally relaxed at a very quiet place. People living next to a railway experience what is worse dozens of times every day.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs