User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 4058
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: 5.1 magnitude Earthquake hits US State of Pennsylvania

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:09 pm

Pennsylvania? Is that near a fault?
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
User avatar
OA260
Topic Author
Posts: 22260
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

5.1 magnitude Earthquake hits US State of Pennsylvania

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:09 pm

Sky News reporting a 5.1 has hit the state of Pennsylvania.

news.sky.com
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 5929
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: 5.1 magnitude Earthquake hits US State of Pennsylvania

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:14 pm

Inner plate earthquakes are extremely rare, especially in areas that don't have any reason for quakes. Geology points to buried fault lines. It was pretty shallow so I'd say it's just some rock layers readjusting.

Oklahoma quakes, on the other hand...
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 7051
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: 5.1 magnitude Earthquake hits US State of Pennsylvania

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:54 pm

There is a lot of Fracking in Pennsylvania. I am wondering if it is one of those regions.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner
 
User avatar
BobPatterson
Posts: 3381
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 am

Re: 5.1 magnitude Earthquake hits US State of Pennsylvania

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:00 pm

I felt it. I was sitting on the commode when the plumbing pipes shook for about 5 seconds, just at the time reported. I wondered if it could have been an earthquake. This makes the second quake I have noticed while sitting on that commode. The real third quake happened while I was in bed. It was much more severe, caused damage to the Washington Monument and National Cathedral.

The quake is rated at about 4.4 with a center below Dover, Delaware. Map shown in this article:

https://patch.com/pennsylvania/philadel ... nnsylvania

There are many ancient faults in the eastern USA. Most of them rarely call attention to themselves. We don't have the clashing of tectonic plates that are so well known on the west coast.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 5929
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: 5.1 magnitude Earthquake hits US State of Pennsylvania

Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:34 pm

Tugger wrote:
There is a lot of Fracking in Pennsylvania. I am wondering if it is one of those regions.

Tugg

Epicenter was in central-north Delaware so the title is a bit misleading. I'm not aware of fracking around Delaware though.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
dmg626
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:47 pm

Re: 5.1 magnitude Earthquake hits US State of Pennsylvania

Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:16 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
I felt it. I was sitting on the commode when the plumbing pipes shook for about 5 seconds, just at the time reported. I wondered if it could have been an earthquake. This makes the second quake I have noticed while sitting on that commode. The real third quake happened while I was in bed. It was much more severe, caused damage to the Washington Monument and National Cathedral.

The quake is rated at about 4.4 with a center below Dover, Delaware. Map shown in this article:

https://patch.com/pennsylvania/philadel ... nnsylvania

There are many ancient faults in the eastern USA. Most of them rarely call attention to themselves. We don't have the clashing of tectonic plates that are so well known on the west coast.



Gee Bob, what did you have to eat for dinner :)
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 7051
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: 5.1 magnitude Earthquake hits US State of Pennsylvania

Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:09 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Tugger wrote:
There is a lot of Fracking in Pennsylvania. I am wondering if it is one of those regions.

Tugg

Epicenter was in central-north Delaware so the title is a bit misleading. I'm not aware of fracking around Delaware though.

Yes, I saw that later in the news about it after I'd posted. NOT a fracking region that I am aware of but who knows. I suspect it is just one of those few earthquakes the area does get from time to time even though the east coast is not known for it like the west is.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner
 
PHLBOS
Posts: 6511
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:38 am

Re: 4.1 magnitude Earthquake hits US State of Delaware

Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:06 pm

The latest news report from a Philadelphia news station stated that the rating was adjusted/downgraded to a 4.1; the last time a quake of that magnitude occurred in Delaware was in 1871.

I was working in Philly at the time it hit. I didn't feel a thing although a couple of co-workers mentioned that they did feel something. OTOH, I did feel the 5.8 quake located north of Richmond, VA on Aug. 23, 2011 while in Philly. Many buildings were evacuated for about 1/2 hour following that one.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981
 
prebennorholm
Posts: 6642
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2000 6:25 am

Re: 4.1 magnitude Earthquake hits US State of Delaware

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:56 am

PHLBOS wrote:
The latest news report from a Philadelphia news station stated that the rating was adjusted/downgraded to a 4.1; the last time a quake of that magnitude occurred in Delaware was in 1871.

I was working in Philly at the time it hit. I didn't feel a thing although a couple of co-workers mentioned that they did feel something. OTOH, I did feel the 5.8 quake located north of Richmond, VA on Aug. 23, 2011 while in Philly. Many buildings were evacuated for about 1/2 hour following that one.

4.1 and 5.8 are two entirely different things. 5.8 has about 50 times greater amplitude, and energy released is about 300 times greater.

Early morning 16 December 2008 I woke up to a five seconds long Richter 4.7 quake almost on top of the epicenter. I figured there might have been a nearby car crash, and ten seconds later I slept again as before.

Only in the evening did I learn from the news that this had been an earth quake, the worst earth quake here in Denmark for 150 years, and a cat and a turtle had been killed due to heavy stuff falling from shelves. The turtle had forgotten to pull in its head, and obviously the cat must have spent its previous 8 lives already. :o

Richter 5.8 is nothing to joke about, while 4.1 is hardly noticeable unless you are totally relaxed at a very quiet place. People living next to a railway experience what is worse dozens of times every day.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 787Driver, Doona, Dutchy, fr8mech, Redd, scbriml and 44 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos