WIederling

Re: The Last Jedi. Spoiler thread. BEWARE!

Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:52 pm

ER757 wrote:
.... I know lots of people would disagree with that, and that's fine.

TFA had something of an ecological documentary. Disney: The Living Desert.
Just like Disney some antropomorphisms added. .-)

In a reveal of Snoke I had expected that they would show him to be about Yoda's size.
Small guy needing a hyperspace bulge for his ego.

What i missed was some backstory on Snoke.
Sith: 1 Master 1 apprentice. apprentice dies ( master continues ) or rises ( master "removed" ).
an unbroken linked chain.
Murphy is an optimist

bmacleod

Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:38 pm

Maybe just me but I miss the Coruscant setting - hope to see a return to Coruscant in IX or in next trilogy - assuming it goes ahead.
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

WIederling

Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:26 am

bmacleod wrote:
Maybe just me but I miss the Coruscant setting - hope to see a return to Coruscant in IX or in next trilogy - assuming it goes ahead.

Coruscant like Rome (the town) was done. The (evil) Emperor was a traveling Emperor.
( more like the Holy Roman Empire https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Roman_Empire )

A poor mans empire if you, as prime boss, have to rush all over the universe to quench fires of conflict all over your domain.
Murphy is an optimist

Classa64

Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:52 am

I got into the movie with SCENE points so it cost me nothing, I would have been disappointed if I would have had to pay. I really liked all the Movies up till this one, I thought it was super dragged out and several times was screaming in my head " Get on with it "! I was really disappointed, and I am not even sure why, it might have been Leia floating in space, some of the attempts at humor in the weirdest spots, should have left the Humor to C3-PO and R2-D2, BB-8 etc. The out of body projection with Luke... Leave that to the Avengers movies. Its just my opinion but I left confused and felt that it just was not done right. My wife on the other hand loved it... looking forward to the Sub plot movies.
"Freedom is the miles i'm rolling on"

Ozair

Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:14 am

I saw it last weekend and have to say was bitterly dissapopointed.

Arion640 wrote:
Best scene was ramming snokes ship at lightspeed, the look of shock on Hux's face and just the effects of this were great.

Besides all the other poor points mentioned this one for me makes no sense at all. How is this even possible and if it is, why is this the first time it happened... We have had countless space battles and no one decided it was possible to kill a ship, or space station..., by flying lightspeed at it? Why would she not have turned the ship into the path of the incoming star destroyer blasts and used her ship to block them, having the ship destroyed in the process.

Some other points that annoyed me.

- That stupid bomber scene at the start, where apparently the bombers are massive slow moving targets that have to fly straight and level only to deploy a whole bunch of little black bombs that are dropped vertically from a launcher in an environment where there is no gravity?
- The stupendous miracle of the rebel fleet dropping out of lightspeed and then being able to fly on their non lightspeed engines to a local abandoned Rebel base? That base was not their destination, if so why would they have stopped so far away from it. Are there really that many around that they can stop randomly somewhere in the galaxy and find one to help them out?
- Why didn’t the First order fly a couple of star destroyers, via lightspeed, forward of the fleeing Rebel fleet and put a decent blockade on them, or forced the rebels to not concentrate their shields on the rear.
- Why can the Rebels on the salt planet be attacked when their shield is apparently still up? In EP V the Empire had the destroy the shield on Hoth before they could land and attack the base, hence the purpose of the probe droids. Yet the Rebels on the salt planet had a shield they said was up and protected them from bombardment but the First Order just lands and drags a big gun without ever worrying about the shield.
- How about the land speeders on the salt planet that are so old tech they cannot fly in three dimensions except having a hook into the ground below? We saw Luke's speeder in EP IV, or pod racers in EP I that could do better than that...
- I hated every time the First Order shows up anywhere, they always have a big gun... Seriously, why do they need to keep building big guns that seem to be the only way to stop something.

What I did like was Rey and Kylo, I found their characters engaging and would happily watch more of their interaction… but I won’t be going to the cinemas to see EP IX.

neutrino
Topic Author

Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:04 am

Ozair wrote:
- That stupid bomber scene at the start, where apparently the bombers are massive slow moving targets that have to fly straight and level only to deploy a whole bunch of little black bombs that are dropped vertically from a launcher in an environment where there is no gravity?

The MG-100 StarFortress B/SF-17's intended purpose was to deliver a payload of 1,048 proton bombs on top of a target. The modular bombing magazine, called the "clip" by the bomber's crew, would drop the bombs through sequenced electromagnetic plates in the clip, which propelled the bombs to "drop" in microgravity environments. The bombs would then be drawn magnetically to their targets.
Source: http://starwars.wikia.com

You're welcome.

Ozair wrote:
What I did like was Rey and Kylo, I found their characters engaging and would happily watch more of their interaction… but I won’t be going to the cinemas to see EP IX.

Unlike you, I'll be watching Ep IX multiples times but ultimately both you & I's patronage or otherwise doesn't make any dint of a difference, and who cares.
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

cjg225

Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:15 pm

Ozair wrote:
- Why can the Rebels on the salt planet be attacked when their shield is apparently still up? In EP V the Empire had the destroy the shield on Hoth before they could land and attack the base, hence the purpose of the probe droids. Yet the Rebels on the salt planet had a shield they said was up and protected them from bombardment but the First Order just lands and drags a big gun without ever worrying about the shield.

Actually, the Probe Droid just located the base. The Empire landed beyond the cover of the shield and moved to contact. The AT-ATs destroyed the shield generator so that the base could be bombarded if necessary but really to be able to land assault troops directly adjacent the base.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

bmacleod

Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:49 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
bmacleod wrote:
Yes I too liked "The Force Awakens" much better - Last Jedi seemed to "cut and paste" from previous episodes.

Big question for Ep. IX - who are Rey's parents?

The more I reflect on TLJ, the more I like it. Elements from ESB and ROTJ, reversed in some ways, and bringing in the Emperor's leitmotif while Snoke tortures Rey was a nice touch.

The question about her parents, I believe, was answered. They were truly no one (although it still doesn't explain the flashback of her watching a ship fly away), and knowing that the Force doesn't necessarily need a rare bloodline to be harnessed, and that even nobodies can wield it in many cases, opens up all new opportunities for the franchise.

Well that does open up new possibilities for storywriters in IX:

Rey like Anakin was conceived through meticlorians and just has one parent?

Or Rey is Ben/Kylo's sister

Or as posted above her parents aren't Han Leia but unknown but had strong Force 'genetics/meticlorians'
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus