I saw it last weekend and have to say was bitterly dissapopointed.
Best scene was ramming snokes ship at lightspeed, the look of shock on Hux's face and just the effects of this were great.
Besides all the other poor points mentioned this one for me makes no sense at all. How is this even possible and if it is, why is this the first time it happened... We have had countless space battles and no one decided it was possible to kill a ship, or space station..., by flying lightspeed at it? Why would she not have turned the ship into the path of the incoming star destroyer blasts and used her ship to block them, having the ship destroyed in the process.
Some other points that annoyed me.
- That stupid bomber scene at the start, where apparently the bombers are massive slow moving targets that have to fly straight and level only to deploy a whole bunch of little black bombs that are dropped vertically from a launcher in an environment where there is no gravity?
- The stupendous miracle of the rebel fleet dropping out of lightspeed and then being able to fly on their non lightspeed engines to a local abandoned Rebel base? That base was not their destination, if so why would they have stopped so far away from it. Are there really that many around that they can stop randomly somewhere in the galaxy and find one to help them out?
- Why didn’t the First order fly a couple of star destroyers, via lightspeed, forward of the fleeing Rebel fleet and put a decent blockade on them, or forced the rebels to not concentrate their shields on the rear.
- Why can the Rebels on the salt planet be attacked when their shield is apparently still up? In EP V the Empire had the destroy the shield on Hoth before they could land and attack the base, hence the purpose of the probe droids. Yet the Rebels on the salt planet had a shield they said was up and protected them from bombardment but the First Order just lands and drags a big gun without ever worrying about the shield.
- How about the land speeders on the salt planet that are so old tech they cannot fly in three dimensions except having a hook into the ground below? We saw Luke's speeder in EP IV, or pod racers in EP I that could do better than that...
- I hated every time the First Order shows up anywhere, they always have a big gun... Seriously, why do they need to keep building big guns that seem to be the only way to stop something.
What I did like was Rey and Kylo, I found their characters engaging and would happily watch more of their interaction… but I won’t be going to the cinemas to see EP IX.