TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author

Roadgeeking Section

Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:49 pm

Why I created this thread

For those of you who like roads in addition to aviation and couldn't get forum membership on AARoads, this is the place for you. :)

Start roadgeeking away.

Oh and a question. Kind of my ulterior motive for creating this thread as well :P

For those of you in America and Canada, I'm considering a road trip up to Sudbury from Chicago, but I want to know a few things:

A: What is there to see in Sudbury, regarding both the city, and nature nearby it?
B: Is it worthwhile? (I've been to Toronto and Sault Ste Marie already). If not where is a better place in Northern Ontario to go?
C: What's the best route to the Sudbury area?

Google tells me I-94 to I-196 to US-131 to M-55 to US-127 to I-75 to Sault Ste Marie region; then the Trans-Canada Highway. (Been down this route up to Sault Ste Marie, both Michigan and Canada sides)

But I was thinking I-94 to I-69 to Port Huron, Michigan; then ON-402 to ON-401 to Toronto, and ON-400 up to Sudbury. (Is this option better? I'm more familiar with this route, at least up til Toronto.)

Thanks!

Enjoy the new roadgeeking section of airliners.net
Hi, I'm TryToFlySomeday. A guy who likes to analyze airlines, and loves road trips & airplane trips. Founder of the Roadgeeking Section and Pakistan Aviation Threads.

American-born Pakistani based in ORD. Favorite cities: ORD / GRR / DTW

LittleFokker

Re: Roadgeeking Section

Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:16 pm

I don't have much advice to offer you on your intended roadtrip (I did Detroit to Chicago once and I don't remember much about it). But I would like to piggyback onto your thread for some advice for an upcoming road trip myself.

My mom is doing the snowbird thing for the first time in my life, and she wants to drive from Chicago to Las Vegas starting on New Year's Day. I've made it to the Iowa border before but not much past that, so most of the journey will be new for me (though I have done Vegas-Texas mulitiple times in the past). Ideally, if the weather cooperates along the route, I'd like to go I-80 to Des Moines, then through Central Nebraska and down to Denver, west to Grand Junction, then pick up I-15 to turn south (it's the fastest way per the maps), but I'm also aware that Colorado has had higher than normal snowfall so far this winter, and if that impacts the freeways, may have to another way. There's an alternate routing through Kansas City that still goes through Denver, but the longer way that will avoid potential weather is going through Tulsa, OKC, Amarillo, and ABQ on I-40 (would be boring since I've done much of this drive already). Anyone have any thoughts about your preferred way to go and how much weather would it take to cause me to go further south?
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author

Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:05 am

LittleFokker wrote:
I don't have much advice to offer you on your intended roadtrip (I did Detroit to Chicago once and I don't remember much about it). But I would like to piggyback onto your thread for some advice for an upcoming road trip myself.

My mom is doing the snowbird thing for the first time in my life, and she wants to drive from Chicago to Las Vegas starting on New Year's Day. I've made it to the Iowa border before but not much past that, so most of the journey will be new for me (though I have done Vegas-Texas mulitiple times in the past). Ideally, if the weather cooperates along the route, I'd like to go I-80 to Des Moines, then through Central Nebraska and down to Denver, west to Grand Junction, then pick up I-15 to turn south (it's the fastest way per the maps), but I'm also aware that Colorado has had higher than normal snowfall so far this winter, and if that impacts the freeways, may have to another way. There's an alternate routing through Kansas City that still goes through Denver, but the longer way that will avoid potential weather is going through Tulsa, OKC, Amarillo, and ABQ on I-40 (would be boring since I've done much of this drive already). Anyone have any thoughts about your preferred way to go and how much weather would it take to cause me to go further south?

Hmmmm maybe try I-80 to SLC then I-15 down to Vegas? It’s longer but it’s easier to remember and there is an 80 mph limit in Wyoming and Utah. (The fastest route would take you through I-76 and I-70 which is predominantly 75 mph zones, and has the weather issues of Colorado snowfall as you stated.)

If you like the route through Kansas City, you can try it, but may I advise if you go through I-72 and US-36 across Missouri and not I-55 down to I-70. If you must go to I-70 from Saint Louis, use I-270 via Troy, Illinois rather than picking up I-70 in downtown since you'll save gas.
Hi, I'm TryToFlySomeday. A guy who likes to analyze airlines, and loves road trips & airplane trips. Founder of the Roadgeeking Section and Pakistan Aviation Threads.

LittleFokker

Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:40 am

TryToFlySomeday wrote:
Hmmmm maybe try I-80 to SLC then I-15 down to Vegas? It’s longer but it’s easier to remember and there is an 80 mph limit in Wyoming and Utah. (The fastest route would take you through I-76 and I-70 which is predominantly 75 mph zones, and has the weather issues of Colorado snowfall as you stated.)

If you like the route through Kansas City, you can try it, but may I advise if you go through I-72 and US-36 across Missouri and not I-55 down to I-70. If you must go to I-70 from Saint Louis, use I-270 via Troy, Illinois rather than picking up I-70 in downtown since you'll save gas.

I think going through Salt Lake adds quite a bit of time to journey. Granted, the plan was to spread the drive out over 3 days, but going through Salt Lake looks like it adds about 3-4 hours (and my personal experience has taught me to keep my time in Utah to a minimum).

If I do need to head towards Kansas City, I would stay north of STL per your suggestion. If necessary to go to Tulsa, I do have a cousin who lives there and might stay the night. I'll wait until the middle of next week to start looking at the weather forecasts for points along the way to see which way is most viable.

TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author

Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:59 am

LittleFokker wrote:
TryToFlySomeday wrote:

I think going through Salt Lake adds quite a bit of time to journey. Granted, the plan was to spread the drive out over 3 days, but going through Salt Lake looks like it adds about 3-4 hours (and my personal experience has taught me to keep my time in Utah to a minimum).

If I do need to head towards Kansas City, I would stay north of STL per your suggestion. If necessary to go to Tulsa, I do have a cousin who lives there and might stay the night. I'll wait until the middle of next week to start looking at the weather forecasts for points along the way to see which way is most viable.

If you need to go to Tulsa, I prefer taking I-55 south to I-255 south (Exit 10 in Illinois) to I-270 north to I-44 west. I wouldn’t advise I-55 south to I-270 west or I-55 south straight to I-44, as those are prone to traffic once you get south/west of I-64.

jetwet1

Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:49 am

LittleFokker wrote:

I wouldn't worry so much about Colorado, the one thing they know how to deal with on the highways is snow. Are you traveling by car or RV ?

Here is the beauty of trying this trip nowadays, if there is weather issues, you will know a couple of days before and can plan accordingly, just be prepared for a diversion and you will be fine. If there is storm action, I would actually prefer to go the Colorado route, as I said before, they know how to deal with snow and IMHO are far better at dealing with it than Utah.

I would actually head down to Kansas City, then across to Denver, it take the risk out of the north plains and is more scenic.

TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author

Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:19 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
LittleFokker wrote:

I wouldn't worry so much about Colorado, the one thing they know how to deal with on the highways is snow. Are you traveling by car or RV ?

Here is the beauty of trying this trip nowadays, if there is weather issues, you will know a couple of days before and can plan accordingly, just be prepared for a diversion and you will be fine. If there is storm action, I would actually prefer to go the Colorado route, as I said before, they know how to deal with snow and IMHO are far better at dealing with it than Utah.

I would actually head down to Kansas City, then across to Denver, it take the risk out of the north plains and is more scenic.

Thanks for your contributions to this thread! Just a question if you dont mind me asking, whats the better route to take to reach Sudbury, Canada?

Do I go through Sault Ste Marie via I-75 or go through ON-401 and ON-400 in Toronto?

johns624

Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:04 pm

What's in Sudbury besides an open pit nickel mine and smelter. Never been there but it's not supposed to be especially scenic.

WildcatYXU

Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:31 pm

TryToFlySomeday wrote:
Thanks for your contributions to this thread! Just a question if you dont mind me asking, whats the better route to take to reach Sudbury, Canada?

Do I go through Sault Ste Marie via I-75 or go through ON-401 and ON-400 in Toronto?

I'd take the I-75 and then HWY 17 (TCH) just because getting through the GTA may be a major pain.
310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

LittleFokker

Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:41 pm

jetwet1 wrote:

Will be travelling by car, and while I'm confident Colorado knows how to plow it's roads, I'm just concerned about a potential blizzard hitting during the drive before the plow trucks have an opportunity to do their thing.

I have a hard time fathoming that the drive across Kansas is more scenic than Nebraska (I kind figured they were about equally as boring). And though I have never spent any time in Kansas City (would like to sometime), I don't think there will be any time for any significant sightseeing. I've estimated about 11 hours, 9 hours, and 9 hours each day of driving (was planning on doing more driving on day 1 before we get road weary and getting through the areas of not much to look at).

TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author

Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:00 pm

johns624 wrote:
What's in Sudbury besides an open pit nickel mine and smelter. Never been there but it's not supposed to be especially scenic.

Any better suggestions for Northern Canada around the same distance? I’ve already done Toronto and Sault Ste Marie. My preferred way into Canada is the crossing via I-69/I-94 in Port Huron.

TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author

Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:14 pm

WildcatYXU wrote:
TryToFlySomeday wrote:

I'd take the I-75 and then HWY 17 (TCH) just because getting through the GTA may be a major pain.

Though I prefer crossing in from Michigan to Canada via the Port Huron crossing on I-69/I-94, some of the other Northern Canada areas I might see instead of Sudbury (as my friend isn’t interested in Sudbury), are closer to the I-75 crossing over the I-69 crossing, so unless I take a carferry, I will probably use I-94 to I-69 from Chicago to Lansing then US-127 to I-75 up to Canada. Thanks.

WildcatYXU

Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:37 pm

TryToFlySomeday wrote:
johns624 wrote:

Any better suggestions for Northern Canada around the same distance? I’ve already done Toronto and Sault Ste Marie. My preferred way into Canada is the crossing via I-69/I-94 in Port Huron.

If you prefer crossing the border at Port Huron, how about going east instead of north? Ottawa is about the same distance from Sarnia as Sudbury. And Montreal is only about 100km further.
310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author

Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:48 am

WildcatYXU wrote:
TryToFlySomeday wrote:
johns624 wrote:

If you prefer crossing the border at Port Huron, how about going east instead of north? Ottawa is about the same distance from Sarnia as Sudbury. And Montreal is only about 100km further.

Hmmm...would consider. Is there anything worth seeing in Ottawa that makes it a good place to go? I imagine Montreal's been done to death, and I like the more underrated gems :)

WarRI1

Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:08 am

I will not go into great detail about Ottawa, but I found it a good place to visit. I have been there twice, once in Winter and once in warmer weather. If you stay downtown, easy walking, good food. I recomend the Fairmont Chateau Laurier. Very convienent, well placed .
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author

Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:13 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
I will not go into great detail about Ottawa, but I found it a good place to visit. I have been there twice, once in Winter and once in warmer weather. If you stay downtown, easy walking, good food. I recomend the Fairmont Chateau Laurier. Very convienent, well placed .

Okay thanks for the info! Will think about Ottawa, but if I find anything else interesting on Google Maps I'll ask here again.

Continue the roadgeeking!

seb146

Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:08 am

For Chicago to Toronto, why not go through Cleveland and Buffalo?

For Chicago to Las Vegas, why not go to Kansas City, down the Kansas Turnpike to OKC then straight across on (I think) I-40 to Kingman, AZ?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Kiwirob

Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:20 pm

You would be much better off joining skyscrapercity.com there’s a global section on highway and regional section dedicated to roads and highways in the us.

jetwet1

Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:30 pm

LittleFokker wrote:

I have a hard time fathoming that the drive across Kansas is more scenic than Nebraska (I kind figured they were about equally as boring). And though I have never spent any time in Kansas City (would like to sometime), I don't think there will be any time for any significant sightseeing. I've estimated about 11 hours, 9 hours, and 9 hours each day of driving (was planning on doing more driving on day 1 before we get road weary and getting through the areas of not much to look at).

It isn't any better than Nebraska, it's just quicker into the more scenic areas, either way will have long vast stretches of boring nothing.

TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author

Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:14 am

seb146 wrote:

For Chicago to Las Vegas, why not go to Kansas City, down the Kansas Turnpike to OKC then straight across on (I think) I-40 to Kingman, AZ?

Chicago-Toronto is tolled through Cleveland/Buffalo, and me and my family are just accustom to going through Michigan. Usually it's quicker through Michigan than Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York State.

seb146

Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:40 am

TryToFlySomeday wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Chicago-Toronto is tolled through Cleveland/Buffalo, and me and my family are just accustom to going through Michigan. Usually it's quicker through Michigan than Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York State.

I did not know they were toll roads. I have lived my whole life on the West Coast and we have very few toll roads. If I ever make it east, I will remember that!
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author

Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:33 am

seb146 wrote:
TryToFlySomeday wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I did not know they were toll roads. I have lived my whole life on the West Coast and we have very few toll roads. If I ever make it east, I will remember that!

To be exact, the section from Portage, Indiana, to Cleveland, Ohio, is tolled. Then the section from the Pennsylvania-New York line to Buffalo is also tolled

TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author

Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:48 am

Due to my finding of a different destination, there’s been a major change of plan.

In spring break, I’m headed to the historic town of Saint Augustine, Florida.

My route will be I-57 across Illinois, I-24 across the Illinois-Kentucky border to Tennessee, then I-75 to Florida via Georgia.

I’m going via I-57 for family reasons, rather than taking my preferred route of US-41 across Indiana. (I hate taking I-65)

Roadgeeks, how bad will I-57 be in comparison to US-41?

northstardc4m

Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:35 pm

TryToFlySomeday wrote:
Due to my finding of a different destination, there’s been a major change of plan.

Good call, I was about to post you a list of why Sudbury isn't a great destination....
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author

Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:21 pm

northstardc4m wrote:
TryToFlySomeday wrote:

Good call, I was about to post you a list of why Sudbury isn't a great destination....

Why the need for a list? I mean maybe it’s not the most enjoyable place to go, but I’m sure writing a list isn’t worth time.

Besides, there are positives to every place...

Sudbury is a good stopover point for people going to Northern Canada, it’s an alternate stopover point to Toronto (since the fastest way in there is via Sault Ste Marie), etc

But anyways back to my question - is I-57 typically very traffic-y across Illinois?

My concerns are mainly I-80 to I-74 (college traffic from Chicago), and I-64 to I-24 (traffic from STL to Nashville)

Jshank83

Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:55 pm

TryToFlySomeday wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:
TryToFlySomeday wrote:

Why the need for a list? I mean maybe it’s not the most enjoyable place to go, but I’m sure writing a list isn’t worth time.

Sudbury is a good stopover point for people going to Northern Canada, it’s an alternate stopover point to Toronto (since the fastest way in there is via Sault Ste Marie), etc

But anyways back to my question - is I-57 typically very traffic-y across Illinois?

My concerns are mainly I-80 to I-74 (college traffic from Chicago), and I-64 to I-24 (traffic from STL to Nashville)

I live in St. Louis but grew up on the Illinois side. I-57 isn't bad. I sometimes take I-57 from STL to Chicago instead of I-55 because even though it is longer it can be faster due to much less traffic. It will have a lot less traffic than I-55. I did long distance with my now wife from STL to Nashville for 18 months. I drove I-64 to I-57 to I-24. It didn't ever have much traffic on the route between the 2 cities. Traffic in Nashville can get bad if you hit rush hour, but if you avoid that you should be good.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask me.
Last edited by Jshank83 on Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cledaybuck

Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:56 pm

seb146 wrote:

Lake effect snows can be awful this time of year along I-90 from Cleveland to Buffalo (although with how cold it is, the lakes are going to be freezing much sooner this year).

TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author

Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:36 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
TryToFlySomeday wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:

I live in St. Louis but grew up on the Illinois side. I-57 isn't bad. I sometimes take I-57 from STL to Chicago instead of I-55 because even though it is longer it can be faster due to much less traffic. It will have a lot less traffic than I-55. I did long distance with my now wife from STL to Nashville for 18 months. I drove I-64 to I-57 to I-24. It didn't ever have much traffic on the route between the 2 cities. Traffic in Nashville can get bad if you hit rush hour, but if you avoid that you should be good.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask me.

So pretty much good? That’s great! I was wondering if I-57 was worth doing all the way down to I-24, or to cut over on I-74 to IN-63 to US-41 (which I would do if I-57 was bad). Guess I have my answer now. Thanks!

TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author

Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:37 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Lake effect snows can be awful this time of year along I-90 from Cleveland to Buffalo (although with how cold it is, the lakes are going to be freezing much sooner this year).

Yeah, another reason I recommend I-94 to I-69 through Michigan to reach Canada

Jshank83

Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:03 pm

TryToFlySomeday wrote:
So pretty much good? That’s great! I was wondering if I-57 was worth doing all the way down to I-24, or to cut over on I-74 to IN-63 to US-41 (which I would do if I-57 was bad). Guess I have my answer now. Thanks!

Yea, you should be good once you on 57. Especially once you get south of Champaign. It will just be less and less traffic as you go south. 24 is pretty open until Nashville also. The only time I ever had an issue is if there was a wreck blocking lanes.

You can even make a stop at the quilting museum in Paducah...... haha.