AR385
Topic Author

What is your menu for Christmas?

Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:00 am

For the past few years, I ask this question. In a few hours it would be Christmas Eve here. On Monday it would be Chirstmas Day. We in México have the big feast as a dinner on Christmas Eve. When do you have it? And what are you eating this year? I would love to hear the traditional meal for different countries.

Regards.

B777LRF

Re: What is your menu for Christmas?

Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:03 am

Pork roast & duck.

The duck went in the oven an hour ago, we long-term cook it for 6 hours, stuffed with apples and prunes, producing a skin that's perfectly crisp and meat that's tender and moist. Weight of the duck should be between 3200 and 3500 grams.

The pork roast is first boiled shortly on the skin side, then in the oven skin side up for around 1 hour whilst frequently 'watering' the skin. This creates perfect crackling, tender and moist meat.

There will also be two sauces; one based on the juices of the pork, the other on the juices of the duck, topped with large amounts of cream. Both are absolutely to die for, albeit a dietician might actually physically die if she did a calorie count.

Served with 'brown' potatoes, which are small potatoes that's been boiled first then fried on a pan in liquified sugar, and warm red cabbage.

An estimated 90% of the population, who celebrate Christmas, will be having this for dinner tonight.

After the dinner comes the presents. There won't be any toddlers our young kids at our party tonight, so it'll be a pretty laid-back affair. But when there's kids involved, it's a couple of hours of absolute mayhem whilst they unwrap the presents.

After the presents it's coffee, snacks and drinks. Around midnight the men will go to the kitchen, carve up the remaining pork roast, spread the now cold duck fat on rye bread, slices of pork on top of that, top it off with red cabbage and serve as a midnight snack. At this point everyone will look like they're having a food baby.
From receips and radials over straight pipes to big fans - been there, done that, got the hearing defects to prove

bananaboy

Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:05 am

We're out for Christmas Day lunch this year as I didn't want to cook twice. Off to a pub and it's nice that I can decide what I want when I get there...none of this pre-ordering.

Boxing Day is when my family descends and I'll be cooking (our) traditional Turkey, various bacon and sausage accompaniments, roast potato, parsnips, sprouts with bacon and chestnuts and loads of other vegetables.

Given that, I may be a rebel and have fish and chips or something else entirely unfestive tomorrow.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

Kiwirob

Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:41 am

This, it's called pinnekjot, it's cured salted lamb, which is then reconstituted, steamed or boiled then baked in the oven, it served with swede, potatoes and red cabbage.

Channex757

Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:17 pm

Turkey stuffed with my own home-made stuffing, two types of sprouts (red and green), cinnamon glazed carrots, honey roast parsnips, Maris Piper (essential to use them) roast potatoes and turkey juice gravy finished with a dash of brandy.

Pretty Dickensian traditional really. With obligatory Christmas pud and brandy sauce afterwards. Followed by a food coma and all quiet on pain of death for the Dr Who Christmas episode.

einsteinboricua

Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:45 pm

I grilled some steaks yesterday so if I don't attend any parties, I'll probably pair one up with sweet potato or something.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

NoTime

Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:11 pm

Wow, the meals listed so far sound great.

We typically do a Christmas day (early) dinner of Turkey and all the fixings. But, this year, we're doing a Christmas Eve dinner of: Ham (with a brown sugar glaze), mashed potatoes, green beans, sweet corn, rolls and a few other items. That will likely be followed up by a Scotch or two (and a Vodka-Cran for the missus.)

WildcatYXU

Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:20 pm

As we came to Canada only 16 years ago, our habits are a mix of Central European and Canadian. Therefore we have two Christmas dinners. The first is on Christmas Eve. The menu is what people usually have in eastern Slovakia. The two large items on the menu are mushroom-sauerkraut soup with smoked sausages (we are not religious, therefore the sausages) and fried fish with potato salad. And then on Christmas day we have stuffed roasted turkey with mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce and salad.
310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

jetwet1

Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:37 pm

Oh boy, like a few in this thread we celebrate a few times over the coming days due to countries of origin and religious beliefs (or lack there of)

Christmas eve " American, Prime rib with all the fixings
Christmas Lunch : Traditional British Christmas roast
Christmas Dinner : Traditional Jewish Christmas food...Chinese with friends.
Boxing Day : Recovering

WIederling

Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:57 pm

Road Kill, chopped, red cabbage, mushrooms, potatoes :-)
Murphy is an optimist

DLFREEBIRD

Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:21 pm

i mix it up every year. this year we are having salmon that my father and brother caught in Alaska this past summer. I will make strawberry and almond salad , scallop potatoes, and p0ur wine that my father made from his grape vines, also this past summer. My mother bringing her famous 7 layer dessert, my sister bringing her homemade rolls. so yummy. can't wait.

tommy1808

Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:00 pm

Potato salad, selfmade including the mayonnaise, and smoked salmon, done yesterday down the street.
Some nice white wine to go with it.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

NIKV69

Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:07 pm

Italians have better food on Xmas eve. Fried fish and stuff!
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!

Dano1977

Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:27 pm

Christmas menu in the Dano1977 household will consist of feeding 10 people.

Homemade Lobster Bisque soup
"
Orange and Mango Sorbet
"

Roast Fore Rib of Beef or Roast Turkey Breast
3 times cooked roast Potatoes
Sprouts
Fresh Lincolnshire Brocolli (From the farmer behind us)
Carrots
Cauliflower

"

Christmas Pudding with Brandy Butter
Homemade Chocolate and Hazlenut Merangue

Selection of English and European Cheeses

Coffee or Tea

Wines - Chateau Deyrem Valentin Margaux
Cloudy Bay Savignon Blanc
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.

bombayduck

Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:22 am

Slow cooked leg of lamb, roast potatoes, and red cabbage. Home made gravy from the juices of the lamb, and home made stock. Christmas pudding with ice cream, followed by three different good cheeses.

Steve

Cadet985

Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:08 am

Tonight was Chinese food, tomorrow night is Denny's.

What can I say? I'm a Jew on Christmas.

Merry Christmas to all who are celebrating!

Marc

jetblueguy22

Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:35 am

My job requires me to stick around for Christmas, so dinner is usually pretty lame, but I decided this year to do something a little nicer. Going with lamb chops, roasted asparagus, and a sweet potato. Plan was to grill the first two originally, but we're supposed to get -45F windchills tomorrow and tomorrow night, so I think the oven will be the tool of choice. Even bought an extra chop so the dog can celebrate with me.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

NIKV69

Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:02 am

Cadet985 wrote:

Merry Christmas to all who are celebrating!

Marc

I love that!

We had lobster tail, fried flounder, calzone. Epicness.
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!

LJ

Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:11 am

Cadet985 wrote:

Don't need to be a Jew. We'll be probably going to the McDonald's or make a home made pizza (and I'm a Catholic). The kids prefer it and ensures you have a lot less hassle. No stress buying everyhting and no stress preparing, just enjoying a relaxing day.

In The Netherlands "gourmetten" is the thing to do. What Raclette is for the Swiss, Gourmetten is it for the Dutch. You have to prepare your own food and can do it the way you want to do it. Next to "gourmetten"we now have the pizza off spin called "Pizzarette" whereby you have to prepare your own mini pizza....

http://emergencybunny.blogspot.nl/2009/02/gourmetten-or-raclette.html/

Bostrom

Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:39 pm

As always, a traditional Swedish Julbord.

This year I only celebrated Christmas with my closest family, so it wasn't a big julbord, but the 2017 edition was:

Christmas ham, as always.
Gravlax, dill cured salmon.
Six kinds of pickled herring
Eggs
Skagenröra, a bound prawn salad
Prinskorv, small pork sausages
Potato sausage, a christmas staple in my family
Two kinds of elk meatballs
Beetroot salad
Herring salad
Red cabbage salad
Brussel sprouts

Served with potatoes, six kinds of bread, a selection of cheeses and different condiments like mustard and sauces.

(Might have forgotten some dish, but I believe that was everything this year.)

Aesma

Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:02 pm

Last night I was invited at my parents', with my brother and sister, their other half and baby, a cousin with her s/o and baby, and an uncle with his s/o.

We ate various appetizers while drinking Champagne, then :
Foie gras with Sauternes wine
Two salmon charlotte
Stuffed pork tenderloin en croûte with Pomerol and St Emilion wines
Cheese plate with French classics : Roquefort, Brie, etc. Green salad to go with
Tarte Tatin with vanilla and salted caramel ice cream and more Champagne

At the end of the week I'm off to Italy for several more dinners with family there.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

zrs70

Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:11 am

A little history on the connection of Jews and Chinese food on Christmas...

In the early 20 Century, with so many Jewish and Chinese immigrants in NYC, the only places that were open for food on Christmas were the Chinese restaurants.

THe big question is ... What did Jews eat BEFORE than on Christmas!
18 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2018

bunumuring

Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:39 am

Hey guys,
Despite being summer here in Australia, Christmas Day was cold and wet this year.
For Christmas lunch, we had a mixture of salads, cheese platters, cold meats like ham and turkey, hot meats like chicken and roast lamb strips plus potato bakes and various breads.
Dessert consisted of traditional Christmas cakes, pavlovas (a mango one and a berry one), home made shortbreads plus some Arabic sweet treats.
For Christmas dinner we had McDonalds, as it was the only open food establishment we could find during our three hour drive home on Christmas night!
Cheers,
Bunumuring
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

AR385
Topic Author

Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:49 am

Thank you very much to all of you who took the time to share your Christmas menu. It may seem frivolous but to me is a great way to learn about distant countries. My menu was:

Oven roasted Turkey
Pork Tamales with green sauce (Green tomatoes and Serrano chiles)
Lasagna Bolognese
Pan fried Shrimp
Potatoes, beets, carrot and mayonnaise salad
Tres leches cake for dessert.

Again thank you all for sharing!

vrbarreto

Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:14 am

Christmas eve was Slovak dinner with Russian salad and fried breaded carp. Lots of slivovica. Christmas lunch was traditional goan with pork vindaloo.. The real one, chicken xacuti which is a mild chicken curry with coconut, rechad which is mackerel stuffed with a spice paste and then fried and pilau rice.

Christmas dinner was roast goose with roast potatoes accompanied by Brussel sprouts cooked with Lardons and chestnuts

cledaybuck

Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:21 pm

Christmas Eve was pork tenderloin, roasted potatoes and carrots, salad, and cookies later. Christmas Day was antipasto to start, followed by lasagna with meatballs and garlic bread. Apple pie a la mode later for dessert.

mdonato545

Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:24 pm

Christmas day was broiled steak with cinnamon sugar glazed carrots, garlic mashed potatoes, crispy bread rolls, and cherry pie with ice-cream later! Now I'm feeling hungry..

WIederling

Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:39 pm

mdonato545 wrote:
Christmas day was broiled steak with cinnamon sugar glazed carrots, garlic mashed potatoes, crispy bread rolls, and cherry pie with ice-cream later! Now I'm feeling hungry..

Me: either hungry or overeaten.

I'll have to try doing those "cinnamon sugar glazed carrots". cooked before glazing?
Murphy is an optimist

vrbarreto

Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:58 pm

WildcatYXU wrote:
As we came to Canada only 16 years ago, our habits are a mix of Central European and Canadian. Therefore we have two Christmas dinners. The first is on Christmas Eve. The menu is what people usually have in eastern Slovakia. The two large items on the menu are mushroom-sauerkraut soup with smoked sausages (we are not religious, therefore the sausages) and fried fish with potato salad. And then on Christmas day we have stuffed roasted turkey with mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce and salad.

Slovak Christmas!!. I remember going to the Tesco in Nitra and buying a live carp from the instore pool.. Transported in a bucket to the house and put in the bath tub ready for 'despatch'...which the FIL did.

Also the tradition of St Nicolas and getting hammered in the village pub!

sbworcs

Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:09 pm

Christmas Eve - Chinese Meal with the family that have moved in for a few days!
Christmas Day - Sister did different starters for people (mine was Balsamic Onions with Italian Ham and Pecorino), Main course - Turkey with all the trimmings
Boxing Day - Roast beef, yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes, champ
Day After Boxing Day - Cold left over meat, cooked ham, bubble & squeak with a fried egg and various different pickles and chutneys - lots of friends round for this one to use up any left over food
The best way forwards is upwards!

WildcatYXU

Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:23 am

vrbarreto wrote:

Slovak Christmas!!. I remember going to the Tesco in Nitra and buying a live carp from the instore pool.. Transported in a bucket to the house and put in the bath tub ready for 'despatch'...which the FIL did.

Lucky you! My FIL wouldn't touch fish with a 10 foot stick. So we had carp only until our neighbour who was taking care of the carp for us went to his in-laws for Christmas one year and I had to "despatch" and process the carp myself. After this experience gave in to Mrs. Wildcat's pressure and from the next Christmas we switched to frozen cod...

BTW, did you spend the Christmas in Slovakia? References to lot of Slivovica suggest you did. I hope you had some good domestic stuff.
310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

vrbarreto

Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:00 pm

WildcatYXU wrote:
vrbarreto wrote:

Lucky you! My FIL wouldn't touch fish with a 10 foot stick. So we had carp only until our neighbour who was taking care of the carp for us went to his in-laws for Christmas one year and I had to "despatch" and process the carp myself. After this experience gave in to Mrs. Wildcat's pressure and from the next Christmas we switched to frozen cod...

BTW, did you spend the Christmas in Slovakia? References to lot of Slivovica suggest you did. I hope you had some good domestic stuff.

Unfortunately not this Christmas in Slovakia but the FIL flew over a few days ago with a supply of slivovica but no homemade stuff this time. We drive to Slovakia every year and stock up bit finished it all in a few weeks although we did have some homemade Feni which had more than a kick..

Having ham and kapustnica for new year. Not sure if it is traditional or not.

WildcatYXU

Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:26 pm

vrbarreto wrote:

Unfortunately not this Christmas in Slovakia but the FIL flew over a few days ago with a supply of slivovica but no homemade stuff this time. We drive to Slovakia every year and stock up bit finished it all in a few weeks although we did have some homemade Feni which had more than a kick..

Nice FIL :)

I don't know how traditional your menu is, but ours is the same :)

vrbarreto

Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:26 pm

WildcatYXU wrote:
vrbarreto wrote:

Nice FIL :)

I don't know how traditional your menu is, but ours is the same :)

Enjoy and have a great new year...

P. S the kapustnica was vyborne

mdonato545

Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:45 pm

WIederling wrote:
mdonato545 wrote:

Me: either hungry or overeaten.

I'll have to try doing those "cinnamon sugar glazed carrots". cooked before glazing?

So you put them in a slow cooker with butter for a few hours first, and then toss them in the glaze before serving. Makes eating vegetables bearable ;)

WildcatYXU

Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:31 am

vrbarreto wrote:
Enjoy and have a great new year...

P. S the kapustnica was vyborne

Thank You. You have a great New Year too.

PS: The kapustnica is always vyborna.