Airstud
Topic Author

OK, I'll ask it: What'd you get?

Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:27 pm

Let's hear about it...Post pics of your Christmas swag!!
Pancakes are delicious.

WarRI1

Re: OK, I'll ask it: What'd you get?

Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:12 am

It is better to give ? I gave and happy I can.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

L0VE2FLY

Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:17 am

Nothing! In my household gifts are for kids only, it was toys from Santa as usual. I absolutely love it this way, makes the holiday season a lot less stressful.

Merry Christmas and happy new year! :santahat:

Ken777

Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:55 am

Typical Grandpa stuff: sox, house shoes, a puzzle and some books. Best gift was spending Christmas Dy with the kids and grandkids. The grandkids are teenagers now, but their excitement is just as great this time a year a always and they share that excitement and fun freely with the grandparents. Best gift ever.

WarRI1

Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:01 am

Ken777 wrote:
Typical Grandpa stuff: sox, house shoes, a puzzle and some books. Best gift was spending Christmas Dy with the kids and grandkids. The grandkids are teenagers now, but their excitement is just as great this time a year a always and they share that excitement and fun freely with the grandparents. Best gift ever.

Absolutely, nothing better than that. Same here, teenagers.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

DLFREEBIRD

Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:18 am

certificate for a massage, give cards to eat out, and large Instant pot. very nice gifts. i feel very lucky.

TWA772LR

Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:40 am

GoPro Session, Amazon gift cards, Houston Astros World Series champs bat, scratch off world map, and an official tag made from a scrapped UA 744!

We had a light Christmas on the 25th and we'll have real Christmas when my brother comes home from overseas.

I'm 25 and I'm stoked about the presents I got, but I also like giving more than receiving. In addition to getting presents for my family, I got the team I worked with during my internship booze as a parting/xmas gift; and my best friend Bath & Body Works stuff, Southwest Shamu poster, and a pooping moose keychain from Mall of America, as well as gift cards for her mom and sister.
"It's not getting to the land of the nonrev that's the problem, it's getting back." ~~Captain Hector Barbossa
The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and don't necessarily reflect those of my employer.

seb146

Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:50 am

Gift cards, a new man purse, car care stuff.... There are a few other major things I will post in the next few days. We are kinda busy right now with stuff but stay tuned. I can't wait to see some of the comments....
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter

fr8mech

Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:14 am

Well, since we're putting in a new kitchen, the wife and I kept it simple and cheap. I got a couple of shirts, a hoodie & a pair of jeans. The boy bought me a multi-tool & the girl bought me gun-range bag.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

Dutchy

Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:38 am

Gits at Christmas? Strange tradition, give it properly with the real St. Nicolas at the eve of his day of death: December 5th :white:
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

mad99

Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:47 am

Kings are underway and scheduled to arrive on the 6th

Read a book people

Signed
Spain

flipdewaf

Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:19 am

Enough vouchers at the flying school to make my ppl current (haven't flown for 4years, my wife found my log book and took it to the flying school so they could work out what we needed).
A dyson v8 (I'm now of an age where I find this extremely exciting).

My brother got me a load of dodgy cigars from Indonesia, I'll have to wait till the wind is blowing away from the prudish neighbours before I give them a try.
I was disappointed that I got no socks or underwear this year as it means for the first time in many years I'll actually have to buy some.

My 20month old had a good Christmas though, including a rocking horse and a miniature wheelbarrow, shovel and yard brush so she can help mum with her horses ( she tries to lift a wheel barrow full of horse muck already and funny as it is to watch it's not very productive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bgm

Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:20 am

Dutchy wrote:
Strange tradition

Strange tradition? Coming from a Dutchman? :rotfl:
Lest you forget Santa's little slave 'helper'. Nothing like putting on blackface to get into the festive spirit.... :duck:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwarte_Piet
Last edited by bgm on Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." -George Carlin

Dutchy

Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:25 am

bgm wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Gits at Christmas? Strange tradition, give it properly with the real St. Nicolas at the eve of his day of death: December 5th :white:

And don't forget Santa's little slave 'helper'. Nothing like putting on blackface to get into the festive spirit.... :duck:

Funny story about Zwarte Piet though, only introduced in 1850 by an Amsterdam-based primary school teacher Jan Schenkman. He is known anti-slave activist. But personally, I think it is a good thing that Black Piet is changing into Piet, even though 90+% of the Dutch don't perceive it as racist.

787Driver

Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:24 am

Dutchy wrote:

Yes cuz it makes so much sense to celebrate someone’s death by handing out gifts.... said no one ever.

Dutchy

Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:41 am

787Driver wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Yes cuz it makes so much sense to celebrate someone’s death by handing out gifts.... said no one ever.

Honoring him by doing the same as what he did :D

787Driver

Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:07 am

Dutchy wrote:
787Driver wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Which would have made way more sense on the date of his birth ;-)

fr8mech

Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:23 am

fr8mech wrote:
Well, since we're putting in a new kitchen, the wife and I kept it simple and cheap. I got a couple of shirts, a hoodie & a pair of jeans. The boy bought me a multi-tool & the girl bought me gun-range bag.

Oh yeah, I forgot...the mother-in-law got me a $69.99 coupon/gift certificate/groupon thing to Omaha Steaks. Never bought from them. Looking forward to some dinners.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

bunumuring

Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:28 am

Hey guys,
I prefer to give rather than receive.... And was stoked to see my eldest son's reaction to a rare and expensive Pink Floyd art book that I have had hidden for months! He is a Pink Floyd tragic and didn't even know that the book existed.
Me? Most of my presents remain wrapped and under the Christmas tree until my youngest son returns from overseas in a couple of weeks. But so far I have received the 'super deluxe' box set of the new U2 album (blue vinyl!) plus some books from my parents, a 1/400 model of a HiFly A340-300 from my best mate to add to my collection plus some gift vouchers and movie tickets from various relatives, neighbours and work colleagues.
The best gift however, is time with family ... What a great Christmas Day we had albeit without my youngest being in Australia.
Cheers,
Bunumuring
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

Dutchy

Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:59 pm

787Driver wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
787Driver wrote:

Which would have made way more sense on the date of his birth ;-)

I guess so, but traditions right and this is a Catholic one :lol:

BobPatterson

Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:59 pm

The original Saint Nicholas, also called Nikolaos of Myra or Nicholas of Bari, was Bishop of Myra, in Asia Minor, and is a historic Christian saint. He was probably Greek. b. 15-Mar-270, d. 6-Dec-343.

I imagine your 5-December date it too close to be coincidence.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

Dutchy

Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:23 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
The original Saint Nicholas, also called Nikolaos of Myra or Nicholas of Bari, was Bishop of Myra, in Asia Minor, and is a historic Christian saint. He was probably Greek. b. 15-Mar-270, d. 6-Dec-343.

I imagine your 5-December date it too close to be coincidence.

It is one and the same indeed, Bob. He was indeed Bishop in what is now Turkey. That is the origin of Sinterklaas lies in the middle ages, so a pretty old tradition.
Like with all Christian feast date, it has some elements of Christianity and some elements of Pagan/Roman/Greek religions. Sinterklaas has probably some elements of the of the old feast of Wild Hunt of the pagan God Wodan, the northern part of The Netherlands wasn't under Roman rule.

CitizenJustin

Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:37 pm

seb146 wrote:
Gift cards, a new man purse, car care stuff.... There are a few other major things I will post in the next few days. We are kinda busy right now with stuff but stay tuned. I can't wait to see some of the comments....

I love a good man purse, or “murse” as we sometimes say in fashion retail.

Airstud
Topic Author

Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:25 am

787Driver wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

I celebrated the _____ out of Fred Phelps's death, a few years ago...
Pancakes are delicious.

flyingturtle

Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:33 am

I have a bunch of female friends, but we communicate only over WhatsApp due to the distance. Nurses, teachers, shop employees, cooks... once a year we meet, children and significant others included.

Once, one of them joked about something, and I believed it was only a joke.

But then I got a crocheted sweater for my private parts.

David
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.

An767

Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:04 pm

Recieved nothing, Gave time to a chef who works for me who recently became a dad to his 1st born son . So i covered his shift feeding 150 on a mine site so he had time with his wife and baby. I do not do "christmas" with all the gift giving etc. But I made this guys day, not that his son had any idea
AN767
If its got wings put me on it. If it floats on water take it away

Aesma

Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:34 pm

I got a mug.
Concert tickets to go with my brother and sister : Arch Enemy and Shaka Ponk.
A 3-day pass for a rock festival next summer (I went to same last summer and had an incredible time).
A quizz game about the 80's (I was born in those, looking at the questions this will be very difficult to win for me).
Chocolate from an artisan

I came into some money this year so I spent more than usual, in particular I got a new smartphone to my mother, she was very surprised.

I have still some gifts to make : money towards several humanitarian NGOs.

Thinking back on that night though I feel like gifts didn't really matter, probably because there were no kids the right age, only adults and babies. We had a great time, time flew by.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

SheikhDjibouti

Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:07 pm

What did I get for Xmas? Indigestion

What did I give; a free driving lesson for my kids. Meh; the roads are always quiet on Xmas day so there's no better time to start them off.
There are two things that happen when you get old.
1. You start to lose your memory.
2. What was I saying again?

QueenoftheSkies

Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:29 am

CitizenJustin wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I love a good man purse, or “murse” as we sometimes say in fashion retail.

Agreed! My kinda guy

AR385

Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:35 am

I got cash. Then I can go and buy what I want.

mdonato545

Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:34 pm

This year we gifted our family with the best gas grill ever, can't wait to put it to use during our annual Super Bowl party!

Revelation

Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:38 am

flyingturtle wrote:
I have a bunch of female friends, but we communicate only over WhatsApp due to the distance. Nurses, teachers, shop employees, cooks... once a year we meet, children and significant others included.

Once, one of them joked about something, and I believed it was only a joke.

But then I got a crocheted sweater for my private parts.

Comes in handy this time of year!

$8.99 at Amazon and you're good to go!

A little bit awkward at the urinal, though...
The gun is NOT a precious symbol of freedom
It is a deadly cancer on American society
Those who believe otherwise are consumed by an ideology
That is impervious to evidence

flyingturtle

Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:22 pm

Revelation wrote:

Well, yes. And well... one person in that crazy group of friends actually wished a snow globe. But I didn't find an appropriate one...

David
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.

Revelation

Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:01 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
Revelation wrote:

Well, yes.

I hope they used yarn that stretches as needs warrant, otherwise a sudden arousal could become quite painful!
The gun is NOT a precious symbol of freedom
It is a deadly cancer on American society
Those who believe otherwise are consumed by an ideology
That is impervious to evidence