Tugger
Topic Author

Curious: What is this place? - Unusual structures/places found on Google maps satellite view

Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:41 pm

Click to satellite view: (Looks like you have to cut-n-paste to full link below to get to it)
https://www.google.com/maps/place/8°51'54.6"N+112°49'48.8"E/@8.865193,112.8304141,18z

or try this link
https://www.google.com/maps/search/8.865167,+112.830222

Or here are the coordinates: 8.865167, 112.830222

I found this while looking at another island in the Spratly's. I kinda assume it is Chinese but don't really have any idea. Looks like it could be a prison or an armory but it appears to have Doppler radars and a light house and a main building etc., in addition to what looks like a garbage scow churning away in the dredged harbor space.

Heck of a lot of built up structures in the Spratly's as well as other remote island chains. Just curious if anyone knows what this one is in particular.

And if you know of any other interesting constructions in a remote location that can bee seen by satellite view please post it here. I do enjoy being a "Google tourist" to see places no one normally gets to see.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

cjg225

Re: Curious: What is this place? - Unusual structures/places found on Google maps satellite view

Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:58 pm

If you search for these coordinates: 9°7'25"S 160°14'15"E you'll find the wreck of the IJN Kikuzuki, a Mutsuki-class destroyer that was re-floated by the US Navy during the Solomon Islands campaign for intelligence purposes and then towed to this location where she now resides rusting and mostly submerged.

Or you can try this link.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

Dutchy

Re: Curious: What is this place? - Unusual structures/places found on Google maps satellite view

Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:59 pm

The Spratly's are one of the most contested areas in the world. So probably some military installation to claim the island for themselves. The Chinese are also building artificial islands in the area to claim the territorial sea's around it and more important the EEZ.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

LittleFokker

Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:47 pm

cjg225 wrote:
If you search for these coordinates: 9°7'25"S 160°14'15"E you'll find the wreck of the IJN Kikuzuki, a Mutsuki-class destroyer that was re-floated by the US Navy during the Solomon Islands campaign for intelligence purposes and then towed to this location where she now resides rusting and mostly submerged.

Or you can try this link.

Similary, Google's satellite image provider captured the Costa Concordia in it's capsized state:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.364894, ... a=!3m1!1e3
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

Tugger
Topic Author

Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:54 pm

Dutchy wrote:
The Spratly's are one of the most contested areas in the world. So probably some military installation to claim the island for themselves. The Chinese are also building artificial islands in the area to claim the territorial sea's around it and more important the EEZ.

Oh yes, I am very aware of how contested it is! China is definitely pushing its weight around there but there is so much history that the many countries that have claims are not likely to give them up. It is a serious hot spot in the world.

This article shows just how contested it is:
https://thediplomat.com/2016/05/south-c ... -spratlys/

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

Dutchy

Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:09 pm

Tugger wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Oh yes, I am very aware of how contested it is! China is definitely pushing its weight around there but there is so much history that the many countries that have claims are not likely to give them up. It is a serious hot spot in the world.

This article shows just how contested it is:
https://thediplomat.com/2016/05/south-c ... -spratlys/

Tugg

During my student years, I made a simulation about this conflict, two men team each: representing each country with its own set of objective coupled to point if reached. Very interesting to watch indeed ;)
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

salttee

Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:29 pm

Its name is Cuarteron Reef
Wiki has a writeup om it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuarteron_Reef