csavel
Topic Author

Times you actually agreed with a politician you hate.

Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:49 pm

Your favorite politician isn't ALWAYS right and the person you hate isn't ALWAYS a total idiot. so let's be honest, I am curious about the times when a politician you hate, can't stomach, would never vote for, think he or she is an idiot but this one time, you say to yourself, "you know, so-and-so is actually right!" So if you are a hardcore Bernie bro, tell me about a time you actually agreed with Trump. If you are a MAGA Trumpie, tell is about when you agreed with Obama, or even Hillary.

I am from the US, but by no means should this be confined to the US, it is just the place, obviously, I know best. Same goes for labourites in Britain who actually agreed with Theresa May in something, or a leftie Israeli in Tel Aviv that said, (in Hebrew) Damn! I agree with Netanyahu on something! Hope this is lively and interesting, but also respectful.

Here is one for me.

1. I agree with Trump on his tweets about Pakistan. Pakistan's ISI is too close to the Taliban and it is time to not throw good money after bad. In general I *disagree* with him about foreign aid (I work for an NGO so have a dog in that fight, full disclosure) but on this one, he is right. It hasn't given us leverage, and for us to not even be able to interview any terrorists they might have caught, well, then time to part ways.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

Dutchy

Re: Times you actually agreed with a politician you hate.

Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:06 pm

Nice topic! Always good to see some nuances brought to the table.

I sometimes find myself agreeing with Wilders, shocking but true, although his politics are just about everything which I disgust.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

NIKV69

Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:18 pm

Schumer when he said Airlines have to disclose hidden bag fees! :duck:
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!

WIederling

Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:46 pm

Merkel, her stance that taking in refugees was "Alternativlos".
( I'd never vote for Ms. Merkel or her party ever.)
Murphy is an optimist

casinterest

Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:44 pm

A broken clock is correct twice a day, and by that adage, Trump gets some things correct even if he lies an average of 5 times or more per day.

I agree with his old stance that the Rich should pay more taxes. However he has amended this statement many times.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

mdonato545

Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:24 pm

Obama on Net Neutrality. I don't hate him whatsoever, but there were a few things I disagreed with during his presidency. The Open Internet Order was actually a great idea though

ER757

Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:17 pm

I agree with Trump on the need to address the dire need for infrastruture improvements in the US. Long overdue and long put on the back burner. The chickens are coming home to roost and it's going to get a lot worse if it does not become a top priority.

I also agree with him in theory about needing better control of immigration, but don't think his policies to address this issue are viable

BobPatterson

Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:05 pm

Mr. Trump was correct in reversing some of Mr. Obama's policies and executive orders. Some, less than two hands full.

But his rampage against regulations, and in wanting to roll them back to the 1960s, is sheer lunacy.

He, and his ilk in Congress, have driven me from the party I joined in 1964. I can not remain in any way connected to this immoral and hateful group.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

WIederling

Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:07 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
He, and his ilk in Congress, have driven me from the party I joined in 1964. I can not remain in any way connected to this immoral and hateful group.

Found any good stand in?
Murphy is an optimist

DIRECTFLT

Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:16 pm

I don't hate the Democrat Joe Biden, but he was right, against the brain trust in the GW Bush Administration, when he was for dividing Iraq, (whose boundaries were only recently drawn after WWI, by the brain trust in the UK), in to three zones: Sunni, Shia, and Kurdish.

Bush, who I agreed with on many things, was totally wrong with his Administration's Policy of the Reconstruction and Democratization of Iraq. The Iraqi people have actually suffered more, as a whole, since the toppling of the Dictator Saddam Hussein and his Govt.

Bush, in his 2010 book, Decision Points, as far as I can tell, did not even bring up, or address the Sunni/Shia sectarian violence that occurred after the toppling of Saddam.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

TWA772LR

Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:46 pm

I agree with Trump that China should be more responsible with NK as well as his stance on the current Pakistan situation. I also love that he wants to lower the minimum hours to attain an ATPL.
"It's not getting to the land of the nonrev that's the problem, it's getting back." ~~Captain Hector Barbossa
The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and don't necessarily reflect those of my employer.

910A

Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:48 am

I wouldn't use hate, but I've known Jeff Flake since 1999, the only two things I agree with him is DACA and normalization of relations with Cuba.

WarRI1

Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:52 am

Many tines I have agreed with politicians who I would not vote for on both sides. I agreed with tRump on bringing jobs back. What a joke that turned out to be.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

B0pp0

Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:53 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Schumer when he said Airlines have to disclose hidden bag fees! :duck:

And yet he never has acted on the ATM fees that got him voted in nearly two decades ago.

910A wrote:
I wouldn't use hate, but I've known Jeff Flake since 1999, the only two things I agree with him is DACA and normalization of relations with Cuba.

Outside of Menendez, Rubio, and perhaps Cruz (an exile, a child of exiles, and someone whose dad left pre-Castros), is there anyone in the Senate who is against Cuba? Even Nelson wasn't happy with the end-run on the Cuban Thaw given that he realizes that a representative of Florida should be of all Floridians, not just a hyper minority that gamed the system to be a perpetual swing vote by being geographically selective.

In fact, I bet that a hypothetical repeal of Helms-Burton (one of Clinton's most impulsive and stupid moves) would easily get 218 in the House and 51 in the Senate. Most Democrats are against it and most Republicans wouldn't care less if having to choose a vote. With Raul retiring in April it will be interesting to see if we backpedal on the backpedal or if we just stay bitter for bitter's sake even considering how it isn't the third rail in South Florida it once was.

DocLightning

Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:48 am

Recently a number of GOP Senators voiced outrage at Sen. Franken's handling over a flimsy accusation of sexual harassment. I agreed with their objections to a lack of any sort of due process.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

DLFREEBIRD

Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:01 am

I totally agree with Mitt Romney, assessment of Trump personality traits, bullying, greedy, show off, misogyny, the absurd third grade theatrics.

jetwet1

Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:04 pm

I actually have to agree with the stance that Trump is taking with Palestine, if they want US cash, they need to sit at the table and try and work out a peace deal, all sides do.

cledaybuck

Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:06 pm

Holy s***! I actually agree with Steve Bannon about something!

"The three senior guys in the campaign thought it was a good idea to meet with a foreign government inside Trump Tower in the conference room on the 25th floor -- with no lawyers. They didn't have any lawyers," Bannon continued, according to the Guardian. "Even if you thought that this was not treasonous, or unpatriotic, or bad s***, and I happen to think it's all of that, you should have called the FBI immediately."

alberchico

Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:10 pm

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... mpt-status

Its never going to happen but I agree 100% with Trump on this.Scientology is basically a for profit corporation that masquerades like a religion and acts more like a cult.
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

LAH1

Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:44 pm

I was trying to find something I agreed with that Boris Johnson said - still trying.

910A

Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:07 pm

LAH1 wrote:
I was trying to find something I agreed with that Boris Johnson said - still trying.

Now that's funny :lol:

Regarding Helms-Burton, until the House Leadership shows some spine against the Freedom Caucus, I doubt Speaker Ryan would allow a repeal come up for a vote.

B0pp0

Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:18 am

910A wrote:
LAH1 wrote:

Now that's funny :lol:

Regarding Helms-Burton, until the House Leadership shows some spine against the Freedom Caucus, I doubt Speaker Ryan would allow a repeal come up for a vote.

What does the Freedom Caucus specifically have against Cuba? Even discounting their members it would be a pretty easy road to 218.

fr8mech

Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:24 pm

csavel wrote:
hate

Interesting and illuminating verb you use there. Instead of saying "disagree with" or "opposed to" or "against" or other similar words, you chose "hate". A pretty strong word that imparts a lot of emotion. Tell me, these politicians you "hate", have you met them? Interacted with them?

Reminds me of a politician that called the opposition party the "enemy" of the group he was addressing. Enemy implies violent intent. It implies "hate".

I can truthfully say, the people I hate can be counted on one hand, and none of them are politicians, of any ilk. Love? Maybe 2 hands, and a foot, but again none are politicians.

I have a few friends, close friends, who are diametrically opposed to me in their political views (and sports), yet I consider them friends. I'm opposed to their positions, but the person I like.

Politicians hold positions we are either aligned with or opposed to. We may hate, or love, or any verb in between, those positions, but the politician? Someone we haven't met?

I don't know, maybe I just believe words have meaning and we dilute the meaning when we throw words around just to get a reaction.

Just my 2 cents.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

flyingturtle

Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:10 pm

"No enemy bomber can reach the Ruhr. If one reaches the Ruhr, my name is not Göring. You may call me Meyer."

Wait, did you mean the quest seriously? :white:

Well, Trump said things I fully agree with. For example, the stuff about making America great again... but it turned out he only meant it ironically. Or not at all.

David
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.

PhilBy

Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:07 pm

I can't think of any politician I take seriously enough to hate! Some I mildly dislike, some I pity. (Almost) Any politician of any party occasionally has a good idea.

csavel
Topic Author

Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:21 pm

alberchico wrote:
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/359730-trump-thinks-scientology-should-lose-its-tax-exempt-status

Its never going to happen but I agree 100% with Trump on this.Scientology is basically a for profit corporation that masquerades like a religion and acts more like a cult.

I'd have to agree to but then again, one person's religion is another person's cult. Therein lies the problem, perhaps all religious orgs should lose their tax exempt status. After all, to me Joel Osteen's church and a lot of similar ones are money making schemes.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

fr8mech

Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:04 pm

csavel wrote:
I'd have to agree to but then again, one person's religion is another person's cult. Therein lies the problem, perhaps all religious orgs should lose their tax exempt status. After all, to me Joel Osteen's church and a lot of similar ones are money making schemes.

While, in general, I agree with you, I more fully agree with the statement:

The power to tax is the power to destroy.

That is why we don’t tax religious organizations and why the bar to be considered a religious organization is so low.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

bagoldex

Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:22 pm

fr8mech wrote:
That is why we don’t tax religious organizations and why the bar to be considered a religious organization is so low.

If one person talks/sings/kneels/bows to their imaginary friend they're crazy, if many people talk/sing/kneel/bow to the same imaginary friend it's religion. In other words, it's an illness.

As for agreeing with people I hate, gotta say Bannon for obvious reasons. Hillary Clinton is rather vile too.

StarAC17

Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:14 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
I totally agree with Mitt Romney, assessment of Trump personality traits, bullying, greedy, show off, misogyny, the absurd third grade theatrics.

That is an insult......

... To third graders.

DocLightning wrote:
Recently a number of GOP Senators voiced outrage at Sen. Franken's handling over a flimsy accusation of sexual harassment. I agreed with their objections to a lack of any sort of due process.

Franken probably should have resigned as he is in a blue state and a democrat will replace him.

I would have also liked to have him say I am not going anywhere because the man sitting in the White House has been accused of the same thing and even bragged about it.

If he goes I will go.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

stl07

Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:49 am

I agreed with Sean Spicer when he said the RADICAL Muslims must go

Also, great question OP.