1337Delta764
Topic Author

Van Hool to build U.S. factory

Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:34 pm

http://www.masstransitmag.com/press_rel ... ted-states

Van Hool will be building a factory in the U.S., expected to be operational by 2020. This will enable Van Hool to meet FTA Buy America rules for federally funded procurements.

Interestingly, it appears this factory will only build transit buses. I'm surprised they won't be building both transit buses and motorcoaches, considering the motorcoach market is a duopoly between MCI and Prevost as far as Buy America compliance goes, while the heavy-duty transit bus market has three major manufacturers (New Flyer, Gillig, and Nova Bus) and three smaller manufacturers (ElDorado National, BYD, and Proterra).
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.

casinterest

Re: Van Hool to build U.S. factory

Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:42 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:
http://www.masstransitmag.com/press_release/12393329/van-hool-will-build-a-giant-factory-in-the-united-states

Van Hool will be building a factory in the U.S., expected to be operational by 2020. This will enable Van Hool to meet FTA Buy America rules for federally funded procurements.

Interestingly, it appears this factory will only build transit buses. I'm surprised they won't be building both transit buses and motorcoaches, considering the motorcoach market is a duopoly between MCI and Prevost as far as Buy America compliance goes, while the heavy-duty transit bus market has three major manufacturers (New Flyer, Gillig, and Nova Bus) and three smaller manufacturers (ElDorado National, BYD, and Proterra).

The article and your writeup state that they are going after FTA funds. They only need to build the transit buses here. It is also a much larger market and will naturally be their prime focus to get sales to regional and town based transit authorities.

Eventually they may go after private sales, but that is small potatoes in the US.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:53 pm

casinterest wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:
http://www.masstransitmag.com/press_release/12393329/van-hool-will-build-a-giant-factory-in-the-united-states

The article and your writeup state that they are going after FTA funds. They only need to build the transit buses here. It is also a much larger market and will naturally be their prime focus to get sales to regional and town based transit authorities.

Eventually they may go after private sales, but that is small potatoes in the US.

Note that motorcoaches are not exclusively relegated to private operators. Some larger transit agencies operate motorcoaches for longer distance express routes, and because of the Buy America rules, they are limited either to MCI or Prevost for motorcoach options if they want to receive federal funding. Building motorcoaches in the U.S. would give these transit agencies a third option.

910A

Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:07 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:
Some larger transit agencies operate motorcoaches for longer distance express routes

I would be interested in where public transit agencies are using motor coaches for what you described. I hear of this before, but I not aware where they are.

Scorpio

Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:27 pm

What's been announced now is the initial phase of the plant, with a capacity of about 400 buses per year. Those will be transit buses, but the long-term plan is for the plant to be expanded to a capacity of about 1,000 buses per year. At that point, one can expect that they will probably also build the CX35/45 there for public transit agencies. In fact, here in the press in Belgium (Van Hool HQ) their CEO Filip Van Hool has already hinted at exactly that. However, expect production of motorcoaches for private operators to remain where it is, due mainly to cost.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:05 pm

910A wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:
Some larger transit agencies operate motorcoaches for longer distance express routes

I would be interested in where public transit agencies are using motor coaches for what you described. I hear of this before, but I not aware where they are.

The NYC MTA (under both its NYCT and MTA Bus subsidiaries) operates a lot of MCI and Prevost motorcoaches for its express fleet. New Jersey Transit also operates several MCI coaches.

cranberrysaus

Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:49 pm

910A wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:

The GRTA Express down here uses them for commuting from the farther parts of the Atlanta metro.

SL1200MK2

Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:53 pm

In the SF Bay Area we have the Golden Gate Transit that uses motor coaches to the North Bay.

ltbewr

Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:01 pm

NJ Transit is has been one of the largest public transit operators of 'coach' type buses for decades, with 100's currently on order and being made by MCI, and well over 1000 in their fleet serving mainly from NYC and Philadelphia based routes throughout the state. Van Hool coming in may mean them as an option and maybe hold down pricing due to competition.
I would expect their factory to be in a non-union friendly, low cost of living state, as well as get the best bribes....um tax breaks, but pressure could be put on them to have a plant in a major city area by a major customer as part of a deal to provide jobs.

Scorpio

Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:29 pm

ltbewr wrote:
NJ Transit is has been one of the largest public transit operators of 'coach' type buses for decades, with 100's currently on order and being made by MCI, and well over 1000 in their fleet serving mainly from NYC and Philadelphia based routes throughout the state. Van Hool coming in may mean them as an option and maybe hold down pricing due to competition.
I would expect their factory to be in a non-union friendly, low cost of living state, as well as get the best bribes....um tax breaks, but pressure could be put on them to have a plant in a major city area by a major customer as part of a deal to provide jobs.

The plant will be in Tennessee.

dtw2hyd

Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:20 am

So the $$$Milllion question. How many $$$Millions TN is giving in subsidies?

falstaff

Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:42 pm

910A wrote:

Visit New York City and spend some time stuck in traffic, in New Jersey. You will see plenty.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

af773atmsp

Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:18 pm

In Minneapolis/St. Paul the suburban transit operators Southwest Transit, Minnesota Valley Transit Authority, and Maple Grove Transit operate coach buses on some express runs. Metro Transit also operates around 16 of them on the longer express runs. There is also the Northstar Link, which are coach buses operating between St. Cloud and Big Lake (passengers can transfer onto the Northstar Rail at Big Lake for the rest of the way to Minneapolis).

The University of Minnesota-Twin Cities has a large fleet of Van Hool buses. Rider comfort is average.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK
Too many airports to fit in signature.

Channex757

Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:28 pm

BYD in California must be in the lead for a lot of recent bids. Made in the USA, and fully electric. Same with Proterra.

Cities struggling with pollution and wanting to save operating dollars will be watching them closely.

william

Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:00 am

So this means mega bus motor coach bilevel buses will still come from Europe.