sevenair

Re: Brexit EU position Phase 2

Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:16 am

Flip, flop, flip, flop. If the Marxists say we should stay in the SM then it's probably a good idea to leave.

https://news.sky.com/story/live-corbyn-faces-fresh-brexit-calls-11266891
Diversity is our strength. Unless it's diversity of opinion, then anything is fair game.

rutankrd

Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:57 am

Severnair do you even know was Marxism is you bigoted Northern Irish Orangemen follower of. DUTCH KIng .

No disrespect to true Dutchmen.

par13del

Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:33 pm

So now the Labour Party wants to cherry pick, saying that after Brexit they want to negotiate a customs union agreement with the UK, how is this any different than what the current government and Brexit supporters have been saying?
However, I am certain a difference will be touted, since it is from the opposition and can be used by other remain supporters to kill bills and even bring down the government.
All should be careful of the vote, all the old leave voters have not died out as yet, the education system has not progressed where the education level has come up to an acceptable level for understanding the vote, Project Fear has put major assets in the media houses - not needed since most media houses supported remain any way -, Boris bus is dead and Nigel is done, so maybe this time the odds are once again in their favour, just have to get past the actual vote. So far the re-vote has a 100% perfect record so the UK should be no different.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-43186005

JJJ

Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:31 pm

Olddog wrote:
You seem confused. I, for one, am totally agree for a wto/Ceta solution. I am totally against your cherry picking attempts.

In any case, not even them believe it will get somewhere.

This is just one step in the blame game so that they can eventually say it's the EU fault because they want to punish us and stay electable.

sevenair

Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:43 pm

Labour wants new customs union treaty after Brexit - Starmer

Have cake and eat it anyone? It's hillarious that the Marxists demanded to know Day by day what Brexit is and what it will look like yet it's taken them 612 days to come up with a collective idea as to what they want. They're in, they're out, they're for Brexit, they're anti Brexit. Rinse. Repeat.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43186005
Diversity is our strength. Unless it's diversity of opinion, then anything is fair game.

JJJ

Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:58 pm

sevenair wrote:

Have cake and eat it anyone? It's hillarious that the Marxists demanded to know Day by day what Brexit is and what it will look like yet it's taken them 612 days to come up with a collective idea as to what they want. They're in, they're out, they're for Brexit, they're anti Brexit. Rinse. Repeat.

Irrelevant. Labour aren't in power so the whole the marxists are coming schtick is, at best, losing time.

May is the one who needs a vision, and 2 years on they still don't have one.

Arion640

Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:13 pm

JJJ wrote:
sevenair wrote:

Irrelevant. Labour aren't in power so the whole the marxists are coming schtick is, at best, losing time.

May is the one who needs a vision, and 2 years on they still don't have one.

Sadly both parties are useless. Although one is more useless than the other.
319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 738 744 752 753 763 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75.

Brexit - It’s time to take back control

frmrCapCadet

Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:05 pm

Should GB choose to remain in the customs union they would be expected to pay their share of all the regulatory agencies (which would probably be cheaper than doing it on their own). In that sense some picking and choosing would happen.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

JJJ

Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:47 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
Should GB choose to remain in the customs union they would be expected to pay their share of all the regulatory agencies (which would probably be cheaper than doing it on their own). In that sense some picking and choosing would happen.

Norway or Switzerland model, but those come with freedom of movement, which May is on record saying is a red line.

Arion640

Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:14 pm

JJJ wrote:
frmrCapCadet wrote:

Norway or Switzerland model, but those come with freedom of movement, which May is on record saying is a red line.

If free movement comes with it, we may as well have stayed in the EU. Free movement is pretty much the reason for an EU exit...
319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 738 744 752 753 763 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75.

Olddog
Topic Author

Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:18 pm

Yes but you should remember that if the EU added all theses new states, it is mainly due to the UK push. It was probably an attempt to force the EU to stay just a convenient market but the result is that one.

mmo

Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:24 pm

Arion640 wrote:
mmo wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc. ... s-36616028

Please see the news article and scroll down to a 1975/2016 comparison.

All of the southwest is blue, a lot of the South east and apart from London and a few other pockets of Remain pretty much whole of the England is blue. Wales is also blue.

I'm not sure where you are getting your info, but it isn't quite right.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng ... ll-results

Here is where I am getting my info. Your info is the results of the election and somewhat dated. If you look at just about every survey taken since the referendum, you will see the gradual change in opinions as the issues keep rising to the surface on Brexit. So as I said before, I am not sure where you are getting your info but it isn't quite right and terribly out of date.

Funny thing is I haven't spoken with anyone who will admit to voting to leave.

Because you couldn't find evidence to support your claims, you quickly had to come up with something.

I would rather go on an official referendum poll conducted by the government than one conducted by the left wing guardian with an extremely small sample size.

Oh so you've never spoken to a leave voter? I guess because you've never spoken to one, it didn't happen!

You asked, I provided. I'd rather have up to date data than a 2 year old NON BINDING REFERENDUM. If you have more recent evidence please provide it, but stop childish remarks. All you do is look like a spoiled brat who is having a hissy fit. Grow up.!!

Oh and by the way, it took about 2 seconds to do a search in Google. Something you should try.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

Arion640

Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:37 pm

mmo wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
mmo wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng ... ll-results

Here is where I am getting my info. Your info is the results of the election and somewhat dated. If you look at just about every survey taken since the referendum, you will see the gradual change in opinions as the issues keep rising to the surface on Brexit. So as I said before, I am not sure where you are getting your info but it isn't quite right and terribly out of date.

Funny thing is I haven't spoken with anyone who will admit to voting to leave.

Because you couldn't find evidence to support your claims, you quickly had to come up with something.

I would rather go on an official referendum poll conducted by the government than one conducted by the left wing guardian with an extremely small sample size.

Oh so you've never spoken to a leave voter? I guess because you've never spoken to one, it didn't happen!

You asked, I provided. I'd rather have up to date data than a 2 year old NON BINDING REFERENDUM. If you have more recent evidence please provide it, but stop childish remarks. All you do is look like a spoiled brat who is having a hissy fit. Grow up.!!

Oh and by the way, it took about 2 seconds to do a search in Google. Something you should try.

I am in no way having a hissy fit, I just like to be accurate and point out facts. I'm sitting im my arm chair, quite calm, laughing at you putting things in caps and adding lots of !!!! I think you seem to be the one getting wound up here.

Ahh right. So you think a poll conducted by the guardian gives an accurate representation of what the country should be doing, but yet an official nationwide poll doesn't in your opinion. Well if you think the guardian poll is more accurate, then i'm very very sorry.

Ahh yes, I do use google a lot funny enough, it's a great tool. Certainly good at bringing up maps of the UK painted a lovley "leave" blue.

JJJ

Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:44 pm

Arion640 wrote:
JJJ wrote:
frmrCapCadet wrote:

If free movement comes with it, we may as well have stayed in the EU. Free movement is pretty much the reason for an EU exit...

Hence: Canada model.

Free movement is one of the four pillars, and they're called the four pillars for a reason.

sevenair

Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:56 pm

Brexit deal with US 'close to dead on arrival' if UK sticks to EU rules

We must free ourselves of our EU shackles to make Brexit work. Norway, Switzerland and Turkey models all mean no freedom and no opportunity to make a success of Brexit.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/02/26/brexit-deal-us-close-dead-arrival-uk-sticks-eu-rules/

Dutchy

Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:57 pm

sevenair wrote:

We must free ourselves of our EU shackles to make Brexit work. Norway, Switzerland and Turkey models all mean no freedom and no opportunity to make a success of Brexit.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/02/26/brexit-deal-us-close-dead-arrival-uk-sticks-eu-rules/

That's fine, but get on with it, make it clear for everyone so everyone can adapt. Good luck with others and hopefully Brittian will have all the success with negotiating a better deal with the US, China or India.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

sevenair

Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:16 pm

Dutchy wrote:
sevenair wrote:

That's fine, but get on with it, make it clear for everyone so everyone can adapt. Good luck with others and hopefully Brittian will have all the success with negotiating a better deal with the US, China or India.

I'm glad you agree. It's time we simply leave now. No bad deal. In fact, no deal and that's means no divorce bill.

We all know there's not going to be a deal. May's desires aren't compatible with the EU. Labour's current desires (well, this week's view on Brexit anyway) aren't Brexit. It's rather indignifying watching May right now but she simply needs to be seen to have tried.
Last edited by sevenair on Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Olddog
Topic Author

Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:18 pm

sevenair wrote:
No bad deal. In fact, no deal and that's means no divorce bill.

You still don't get it , I see :)

Dutchy

Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:26 pm

sevenair wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
sevenair wrote:

I'm glad you agree. It's time we simply leave now. No bad deal. In fact, no deal and that's means no divorce bill.

We all know there's not going to be a deal. May's desires aren't compatible with the EU. Labour's current desires (well, this week's view on Brexit anyway) aren't Brexit. It's rather indignifying watching May right now but she simply needs to be seen to have tried.

The divorce bill will be there, I am afraid. Those deal with commitments the UK already has.

Arion640

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:16 pm

Dutchy wrote:
sevenair wrote:

Yes that's what exactly what is needed.

While I fully understand we cannot cherry pick our way along, it would be a shame if both parties couldn't come to some sensible agreement that works for everyone.

Dutchy

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:23 pm

Arion640 wrote:
While I fully understand we cannot cherry pick our way along, it would be a shame if both parties couldn't come to some sensible agreement that works for everyone.

Pick the level the UK is content with and be done with it. Not that difficult, plenty to choose from, but don't except any special exemptions.

Arion640

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:29 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

Pick the level the UK is content with and be done with it. Not that difficult, plenty to choose from, but don't except any special exemptions.

https://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/5a ... f2154.jpeg

I think they could potentially try to negotiate the Turkey style deal if not Canada.

Canada has a free trade deal with the EU, so I couldn't see no reason why the UK couldn't. It wouldn't overly bother me if we had to pay something for a free trade deal if it helped sort the mess out.

Dutchy

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:29 pm

Arion640 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

I think they could potentially try to negotiate the Turkey style deal if not Canada.

Canada has a free trade deal with the EU, so I couldn't see no reason why the UK couldn't. It wouldn't overly bother me if we had to pay something for a free trade deal if it helped sort the mess out.

According to the route map, a Turkey style deal is out and a Canadian like deal is more than possible, but not in combination with an open border between Ireland and North-Ireland.

Arion640

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:48 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

According to the route map, a Turkey style deal is out and a Canadian like deal is more than possible, but not in combination with an open border between Ireland and North-Ireland.

Yes that may be the stumbling block. I guess we will see what happens.

Northern Ireland will remain in the UK there's no doubt about it. We'll just have to see what happens with the border situation.

tommy1808

Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:13 am

Arion640 wrote:
Northern Ireland will remain in the UK there's no doubt about it. We'll just have to see what happens with the border situation.

The Republic of Ireland is required to make EU outside borders hard.
The UK will have to set one up between NI and the rest of the UK.

We won't compromise our borders so you can have full control of yours back what ever accommodation will be reached, the UK will have to compromise.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

sevenair

Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:03 am

I do chuckle somewhat when EU fanatics get touchy about how much they value their borders and won't accept them being 'compromised' yet the entire southern border of the entire EU is unprotected.

JJJ

Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:19 am

sevenair wrote:
I do chuckle somewhat when EU fanatics get touchy about how much they value their borders and won't accept them being 'compromised' yet the entire southern border of the entire EU is unprotected.

Tell us more about that. Because the southern border of the EU looks like this:

Spain - Morocco

Hungary - Serbia

Greece - Turkey

And so on.

Maybe your idea of protecting the border is to sink refugee boats on sight?

tommy1808

Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:23 am

sevenair wrote:
yet the entire southern border of the entire EU is unprotected.

The southern border is perfectly well protected, the only way to protect it better would be gunning those people down and sink their boats. You´d be fine with that?

best regards
Thomas

Arion640

Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:55 am

tommy1808 wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

The Republic of Ireland is required to make EU outside borders hard.
The UK will have to set one up between NI and the rest of the UK.

We won't compromise our borders so you can have full control of yours back what ever accommodation will be reached, the UK will have to compromise.

Best regards
Thomas

Yes that's right the only way to stop free movement of people.

tommy1808

Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:05 am

Arion640 wrote:

Well, since refugees can legally cross any border they want without punishment or repercussions that is pretty much the only way to stop them from coming.

best regards
Thomas

Arion640

Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:15 am

tommy1808 wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

Well, since refugees can legally cross any border they want without punishment or repercussions that is pretty much the only way to stop them from coming.

best regards
Thomas

I can't see many refugees coming over the Irish border into Britain.

tommy1808

Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:32 am

Arion640 wrote:

Haha. We couldn´t care less about that direction of movement. We don´t want that border to be a beachhead for Human and other trafficking via the UK.

Again, why would we accept a soft border so you can have a hard border? It is your mess alone after all.

best regards
Thomas

JJJ

Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:39 am

tommy1808 wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

Haha. We couldn´t care less about that direction of movement. We don´t want that border to be a beachhead for Human and other trafficking via the UK.

Again, why would we accept a soft border so you can have a hard border? It is your mess alone after all.

Let's round up all refugees in the EU to a massive camp just outside Pettigo. No fence on the side facing the border.

Let's see how the UK likes that soft border again.

Arion640

Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:56 am

I was reading a great article this morning: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.expr ... -video/amp

Please read the comments by Tom Enders, CEO of Airbus.

Olddog
Topic Author

Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:05 am

express and great article ? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

JJJ

Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:17 am

Olddog wrote:

The express just reports on Tom Enders saying that Airbus, the company that the UK government let take over BAE in exchange for a share will continue to manufacture in Britain.

Next piece of news will be that Cheddar will continue making Cheddar cheese.

Arion640

Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:26 am

[threeid][/threeid]
Olddog wrote:

If it was an article bashing the UK people on here would have no hesitation to share it...

sevenair

Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:28 am

#becauseofbrexit

Ryanair to slash Scottish routes

They couldn't make it work out of state subsidised PIK, the can't make it work from a real airport. Is this the 'pivoting away' that they promised. We will know at 10:00. What will be interesting is to see the amount of job losses. It's imaging how one plane brings in 100,000 jobs, a trillion pounds of investment (I exaggerate) etc but closing a base or moving a plane means a couple of jobs.

How tragically ironic how EU fanatical Scotland is being hit hardest by the EU fanatic airline Ryanair whilst they've added planes to England, increased frequencies and added routes.

Let's see how many times they blame Brexit despite similar cuts in other locations too. Oh deary me.

https://news.sky.com/story/ryanair-to-slash-scottish-routes-11269451

sevenair

Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:30 am

Arion640 wrote:
[threeid][/threeid]
Olddog wrote:

If it was an article bashing the UK people on here would have no hesitation to share it...

Yup. I've seen the Express used in an anti Brexit sense by the hard remain faction on here but when you do it you get insulted. Funny.

Arion640

Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:41 pm

sevenair wrote:
#becauseofbrexit

They couldn't make it work out of state subsidised PIK, the can't make it work from a real airport. Is this the 'pivoting away' that they promised. We will know at 10:00. What will be interesting is to see the amount of job losses. It's imaging how one plane brings in 100,000 jobs, a trillion pounds of investment (I exaggerate) etc but closing a base or moving a plane means a couple of jobs.

How tragically ironic how EU fanatical Scotland is being hit hardest by the EU fanatic airline Ryanair whilst they've added planes to England, increased frequencies and added routes.

Let's see how many times they blame Brexit despite similar cuts in other locations too. Oh deary me.

Nice of sky news to say it's brexit. 9 route moving and 11 being created at EDI.

ElPistolero

Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:24 pm

sevenair wrote:
#becauseofbrexit

Yes, this is clearly the biggest Brexit-related issue today. Far more important than:

- the former permanent secretary for International Trade calling post-Brexit trade deals the equivalent of a packet of crisps compared to the three course meal offered by the single market. Diplomats and bureaucrats around the world can smell the desperation behind the exxagerared, possibly forced optimism coming from the Brexit crowd.

- The EU apparently taking a very hard line on NI. And Boris apparently happy to institute a hard border of some sort.

- Barnier calling for urgent talks to break the negotiation logjam.

Says a lot about the Brexit mindset. Pick some random issue to bask in the satisfaction of scoring utterly irrelevant points, while the real issues pass you by. Or maybe "experts" are the problem. Talking about things the much smarter majority can't quite understand.

sevenair

Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:50 am

ElPistolero wrote:
sevenair wrote:
#becauseofbrexit

Yes, this is clearly the biggest Brexit-related issue today. Far more important than:

- the former permanent secretary for International Trade calling post-Brexit trade deals the equivalent of a packet of crisps compared to the three course meal offered by the single market. Diplomats and bureaucrats around the world can smell the desperation behind the exxagerared, possibly forced optimism coming from the Brexit crowd.

- The EU apparently taking a very hard line on NI. And Boris apparently happy to institute a hard border of some sort.

Says a lot about the Brexit mindset. Pick some random issue to bask in the satisfaction of scoring utterly irrelevant points, while the real issues pass you by. Or maybe "experts" are the problem. Talking about things the much smarter majority can't quite understand.

A bit like remoaners and ‘chlorine chicken’ you mean?

JJJ

Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:13 am

sevenair wrote:
ElPistolero wrote:
sevenair wrote:
#becauseofbrexit

Chlorine chicken is just a simple example of what a race to the bottom in standards means. Hormone and antibiotic-laced beef are also on the pipeline.

And remember, the US is on record saying that in order to get a trade agreement with them the UK will have to take their food safety standards (sovereignty be damned)

Britain must scrap EU rules and allow chlorine-washed chicken if it wants post-Brexit trade deal with US, Trump adviser says
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 40571.html

Arion640

Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:51 am

Barclays CEO has said Brexit won't be a problem for the city of London.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/92288 ... nion-video

JJJ

Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:11 am

Arion640 wrote:
Barclays CEO has said Brexit won't be a problem for the city of London.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/92288 ... nion-video

Meanwhile Credit Suisse is moving staff.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/cred ... -xwxxwwlcg

And, from your own article:

According to think-tank Bruegel, the UK could lose 10,000 banking jobs and 20,000 roles in financial services as companies move out of the UK following Brexit.

The most important thing about this is that Brexit hasn't actually happened. Until the deal is shaped and stamped everything is just speculation, Barclays has a stake in keeping London a financial center (it's their home turf after all) so job losses there will be minimal. It's the international players that will bleed jobs elsewhere.

bananaboy

Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:23 am

sevenair wrote:
Flip, flop, flip, flop. .....

Boris Johnson in November: A hard border in Ireland would be economic madness
https://www.irishnews.com/news/brexit/2 ... r-1193396/

Boris Johnson now: No significant impact if a harder border is introduced
https://www.ft.com/content/778e66f6-1c0 ... 74d7dabfb6

An about-turn in just 12 weeks or so. No doubt his supporters will claim he was right both times. Talk about the emperors new clothes.... :roll:

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

ElPistolero

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:04 pm

sevenair wrote:
ElPistolero wrote:
sevenair wrote:
#becauseofbrexit

As others have pointed out, the chlorinated chicken issue is about being forced to adopt weaker regulatory standards to satisfy larger trade partners in the hope of getting a deal. Post-Brexit deals will require accepting US standards instead of EU policy, and if you think America First DC is going to give a damn about London's concerns, good luck to you. I'd personally be more worried about the hormone-filled beef and milk, than about unhygienically processed chicken.

How does that compare to FR moving from GLA to EDI anyway? All we can gather is that the weaker pound (weaker than it was against the Euro a year ago) is affecting travel patterns in the UK, causing consolidation. Spin it however you want, 20 routes being cut with 5 moving and 11 being added to EDI still amounts to a 20% reduction in destinations from Scotland. "Global" Britain indeed.

Hardly complicated stuff.

sevenair

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:56 pm

ElPistolero wrote:
sevenair wrote:
ElPistolero wrote:

As others have pointed out, the chlorinated chicken issue is about being forced to adopt weaker regulatory standards to satisfy larger trade partners in the hope of getting a deal. Post-Brexit deals will require accepting US standards instead of EU policy, and if you think America First DC is going to give a damn about London's concerns, good luck to you. I'd personally be more worried about the hormone-filled beef and milk, than about unhygienically processed chicken.

How does that compare to FR moving from GLA to EDI anyway? All we can gather is that the weaker pound (weaker than it was against the Euro a year ago) is affecting travel patterns in the UK, causing consolidation. Spin it however you want, 20 routes being cut with 5 moving and 11 being added to EDI still amounts to a 20% reduction in destinations from Scotland. "Global" Britain indeed.

Everything is possible. The consumer will choose which products it uses and which it avoids. We will wait and see.

Airlines seem to be doing a roaring trade. I don't know of any significant change in travel patterns. Let's have a quick look at what's been going on over the last year:

Yes, terminally I'll Monarch finally bit the dust, but airport and airlines are doing very well. Doesn't EDI use the pound? Is it not strange how the 'weak' pound impacts GLA but not EDI?

According to a quick glance at FR's press page, they've released what look like dozens of new UK routes since Brexit.

Ryanair's biggest base remains in STN, which is in the U.K., uses the pound and is leaving the EU too

Does easyJet not get hit by the 'weak' pound as they've added frames to MAN, EDI, GLA, LGW and BRS all of use the pound. MAN and LTN were their two biggest growing bases. They've added SOU as a new destination

I notice you neglect to mention that EDI is now overflowing with passengers including new routes from many airlines. Several transatlantic and MEB3 airlines (in addition to GLA's double daily 777 to DBX service).

EDI his passenger records last year, despite Brexit of course

UK-Iceland hit 1 million passengers for the first time ever

Jet2/Dart just released a very healthy set of results, despite Brexit.

Look to booming MAN with new TATL links, strong MEB3 links, new links to China and beyond.

WIZZAIR have added a new base with new routes from LTN including TLV and KEF so it's not just a matter of them Brexit proofing themselves.

Blue Air seem to be doing ok out of their relatively new LPL base.

EK has added STN flights.

BA has added new routes from London, returned to Bristol and offer a programme from MAN

Norwegian is expanding in the UK (a mature market) unlike ANY of the many countries they serve.

Air India had added a new Amritsar link.

China Southern have added Quindao to Brexit Britain.

Jet2 added 23 new routes to their UK network last year, with 2 new bases and leasing in A330s to cope with demand.

Last August the UK was the biggest market IN THE WORLD in terms of international seat capacity

Europe to Asia Far East and dominated by the UK and China, a market which grew 6% last year

UK-Spain market grew at highest rate in 20 years delivering Spain's biggest amount of tourists by far

Oman Air added its second UK service last year

Two of three new long haul bases for Primera Air are in England

Ryanair have added a new UK route to Rimini

Lyviv has been added by WIZZAIR

Qantas will start a new PER-LHR service this year. What was it you said about global Britain? Doesn't get much global than that's does it?

British Airways added its longest non-stop flight to Santiago. Again, global much?

It seems we have many more global links for a new global Britain. But yes. Ryanair moving to EDI is the end of world.

JJJ

Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:49 pm

bananaboy wrote:
sevenair wrote:
Flip, flop, flip, flop. .....

Boris Johnson in November: A hard border in Ireland would be economic madness
https://www.irishnews.com/news/brexit/2 ... r-1193396/

Boris Johnson now: No significant impact if a harder border is introduced
https://www.ft.com/content/778e66f6-1c0 ... 74d7dabfb6

An about-turn in just 12 weeks or so. No doubt his supporters will claim he was right both times. Talk about the emperors new clothes.... :roll:

Mark

Speaking about flip-flops. May in December agrees to something. And now: "no UK prime minister could ever agree to it"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 32631.html

You can fault May for many things but at least the entertainment value is top-notch.

ElPistolero

Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:58 pm

sevenair wrote:
ElPistolero wrote:
sevenair wrote:

Everything is possible. The consumer will choose which products it uses and which it avoids. We will wait and see.

Airlines seem to be doing a roaring trade. I don't know of any significant change in travel patterns. Let's have a quick look at what's been going on over the last year:

Yes, terminally I'll Monarch finally bit the dust, but airport and airlines are doing very well. Doesn't EDI use the pound? Is it not strange how the 'weak' pound impacts GLA but not EDI?

According to a quick glance at FR's press page, they've released what look like dozens of new UK routes since Brexit.

Ryanair's biggest base remains in STN, which is in the U.K., uses the pound and is leaving the EU too

Does easyJet not get hit by the 'weak' pound as they've added frames to MAN, EDI, GLA, LGW and BRS all of use the pound. MAN and LTN were their two biggest growing bases. They've added SOU as a new destination

I notice you neglect to mention that EDI is now overflowing with passengers including new routes from many airlines. Several transatlantic and MEB3 airlines (in addition to GLA's double daily 777 to DBX service).

EDI his passenger records last year, despite Brexit of course

UK-Iceland hit 1 million passengers for the first time ever

Jet2/Dart just released a very healthy set of results, despite Brexit.

Look to booming MAN with new TATL links, strong MEB3 links, new links to China and beyond.

WIZZAIR have added a new base with new routes from LTN including TLV and KEF so it's not just a matter of them Brexit proofing themselves.

Blue Air seem to be doing ok out of their relatively new LPL base.

EK has added STN flights.

BA has added new routes from London, returned to Bristol and offer a programme from MAN

Norwegian is expanding in the UK (a mature market) unlike ANY of the many countries they serve.

Air India had added a new Amritsar link.

China Southern have added Quindao to Brexit Britain.

Jet2 added 23 new routes to their UK network last year, with 2 new bases and leasing in A330s to cope with demand.

Last August the UK was the biggest market IN THE WORLD in terms of international seat capacity

Europe to Asia Far East and dominated by the UK and China, a market which grew 6% last year

UK-Spain market grew at highest rate in 20 years delivering Spain's biggest amount of tourists by far

Oman Air added its second UK service last year

Two of three new long haul bases for Primera Air are in England

Ryanair have added a new UK route to Rimini

Lyviv has been added by WIZZAIR

Qantas will start a new PER-LHR service this year. What was it you said about global Britain? Doesn't get much global than that's does it?

British Airways added its longest non-stop flight to Santiago. Again, global much?

It seems we have many more global links for a new global Britain. But yes. Ryanair moving to EDI is the end of world.

Impressive list, but it still doesn't address a couple of the core issues.

How many of those routes are driven by inbound traffic? How many are driven by outbound traffic? GLA suggests that routes that rely on Brits going abroad are taking a hit on account of weaker British purchasing power. EDI is more attractive to foreign-based traffic, so it's benefitting from inflows of foreign visitors.

If it's not clear, the bottom line is that some airports will be affected because locals can't afford to travel abroad. I suppose you could argue that inbound tourism increases exposure to the world, but that's not really the same as travelling abroad, is it? I mean, you don't really expect anyone here to believe that Brits are visiting Qingdao in droves, do you? Not saying there's a decrease in ex-UK traffic, but as GLA shows us, it's probably less than it could have been.

That aside, Air India has been adding and subtracting that Amritsar route for years. One of its more creative iterations was YYZ-BHX-ATQ in 2005. Hardly a Brexit boon.