FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Trip to Iceland - Advice Sought

Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:11 pm

Hello,

Wife and I have been going back and forth on where to go in September for 3-4 days. We have interest in going to Iceland on the new Nonstop Service from DFW.

Being world-travelers most of you are and those of you who have been there, would you recommend going for 3 or 4 days?

It really seems like one of those 'once-in-a-lifetime' experiences to say you've gone to Iceland.

Simply put: Do you recommend going?

Thank you!
Whatever

mbmbos

Re: Trip to Iceland - Advice Sought

Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:28 pm

Two years ago I went with a group of friends to Iceland and enjoyed every moment of the 5 days we stayed. The usual sites and activities that are listed are just fine, so feel free to go to the Blue Lagoon (a tad commercial/touristy, but still fun) and do all the other stuff and know you will enjoy it. On our trip, we rented a car for the days we were there - an SUV that was rated to travel on their tertiary - and tricky - roads. It was very expensive to rent and fuel costs are very high. But it was a great decision. We trekked at our own pace to places that aren't ordinarily traveled by tourist buses and had a great time acquainting ourselves with less visited villages on the northwest area of the island where there are beautiful fjords. Also, I particularly enjoyed spelunking through lava tubes on a tour conducted just northwest of Reykjavik. We had a great guide who told us colorful stories.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:02 pm

mbmbos wrote:
Two years ago I went with a group of friends to Iceland and enjoyed every moment of the 5 days we stayed. The usual sites and activities that are listed are just fine, so feel free to go to the Blue Lagoon (a tad commercial/touristy, but still fun) and do all the other stuff and know you will enjoy it. On our trip, we rented a car for the days we were there - an SUV that was rated to travel on their tertiary - and tricky - roads. It was very expensive to rent and fuel costs are very high. But it was a great decision. We trekked at our own pace to places that aren't ordinarily traveled by tourist buses and had a great time acquainting ourselves with less visited villages on the northwest area of the island where there are beautiful fjords. Also, I particularly enjoyed spelunking through lava tubes on a tour conducted just northwest of Reykjavik. We had a great guide who told us colorful stories.

Thanks for the info. If we were to rent a car, are there some neat little towns/villages to visit within 2-3 hours drive of KEF where we could take advantage of a day trip?
Whatever

anyong

Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:29 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
Hello,

Wife and I have been going back and forth on where to go in September for 3-4 days. We have interest in going to Iceland on the new Nonstop Service from DFW.

Being world-travelers most of you are and those of you who have been there, would you recommend going for 3 or 4 days?

It really seems like one of those 'once-in-a-lifetime' experiences to say you've gone to Iceland.

Simply put: Do you recommend going?

Thank you!

It's really expensive. Like $40 for a burger expensive. If you are into nature, it's one of the most beautiful places on earth. If I were to do Iceland again, I would do 1 or 2 days there and take a cheap flight to Europe and spend more time there. More bang for the buck.

Dahlgardo

Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:15 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
Thanks for the info. If we were to rent a car, are there some neat little towns/villages to visit within 2-3 hours drive of KEF where we could take advantage of a day trip?

Forget nice little towns.
You go to Iceland to experience the nature.
It is an absolutely amazing place which is unlike anything you have seen before.

I've been to Iceland twice, in april and september.
If you go before the winter is over (it was still winterly in april) you can get close to the glaciers and drive many places which is not possible in the summer due to water from the melting glaciers.
Go for the adventure on the small roads.
leave your nines at home and bring your skills to the battle

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:58 pm

Dahlgardo wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:

Forget nice little towns.
You go to Iceland to experience the nature.
It is an absolutely amazing place which is unlike anything you have seen before.

I've been to Iceland twice, in april and september.
If you go before the winter is over (it was still winterly in april) you can get close to the glaciers and drive many places which is not possible in the summer due to water from the melting glaciers.
Go for the adventure on the small roads.

Thank you, sir.

If we go, we'd be going the first few days of September.
Whatever

DIRECTFLT

Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:10 pm

Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:45 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:

Wow. That looks extremely neat!

Thanks for that!
Whatever

stl07

Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:35 pm

my two cents
3 days if you want to hangout in the reykjavik metro area
4 days if you would like to tour other areas
What airline are you flying? Im pretty sure WW and FI have 4 day packages that visit many natural attractions either self drive or tour bus as a road trip from Keflavik or Reykjavik.

scbriml

Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:35 pm

My wife and I spent 10 days there in August a few years back. We took our teenage daughter and her friend and much to our surprise, they both absolutely loved it. We drove what I think is called the golden circle (basically a drive round most of the perimeter).

I would echo others' comments, most people go to Iceland for the nature, although there is a very lively (young) nightlife in Reykjavik. Yes, it can be eye-wateringly expensive.

Despite going in August, in ten days we experienced just about every type of weather imaginable from t-shirt and shorts hot, to bitter cold with horizontal rain. As they say in Iceland: "If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes."

One other thing to look out for - waterfalls. Iceland is endowed with some of the most amazing waterfalls in the World. I know it was a few years ago now, but we would arrive at a stunning waterfall and there would be six other people there (that isn't an exaggeration). Put that same waterfall anywhere else in mainland Europe and you wouldn't be able to move for people in August.

Ever since we went, I've highly recommended Iceland to anyone that ever asks me where would be a good place to visit. We tend not to go back to places as there's always somewhere we haven't been that we'd rather go, but Iceland is top of my "Go back list".
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:33 pm

scbriml wrote:
My wife and I spent 10 days there in August a few years back. We took our teenage daughter and her friend and much to our surprise, they both absolutely loved it. We drove what I think is called the golden circle (basically a drive round most of the perimeter).

I would echo others' comments, most people go to Iceland for the nature, although there is a very lively (young) nightlife in Reykjavik. Yes, it can be eye-wateringly expensive.

Despite going in August, in ten days we experienced just about every type of weather imaginable from t-shirt and shorts hot, to bitter cold with horizontal rain. As they say in Iceland: "If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes."

One other thing to look out for - waterfalls. Iceland is endowed with some of the most amazing waterfalls in the World. I know it was a few years ago now, but we would arrive at a stunning waterfall and there would be six other people there (that isn't an exaggeration). Put that same waterfall anywhere else in mainland Europe and you wouldn't be able to move for people in August.

Ever since we went, I've highly recommended Iceland to anyone that ever asks me where would be a good place to visit. We tend not to go back to places as there's always somewhere we haven't been that we'd rather go, but Iceland is top of my "Go back list".

scbriml -

Thank you very much for that insight. As soon as my wife's vacation time gets approved, I'll be booking this trip for a few days. We won't have time to venture everywhere, but hopefully a few of the main sites within a few hours of KEF.
Whatever