BerenErchamion

Re: Trump has given the Pentagon marching orders: He demands a giant millitary parade ...

Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:13 am

Tugger wrote:
BerenErchamion wrote:
Why? Killing people is wrong; we shouldn't support those who do it.

As a blanket statement that doesn't work.

Yes, it does. Killing another one of God's children--killing another bearer of the inner light, of God Godself--can never be justified, for any reason, under any circumstances. It is far, far, far, better to be killed than to kill. Jesus wasn't kidding when he said "love your enemies" and "offer the other cheek" and "bless those who curse you" and "do good to those who harm you."
It's OK to be rude to fascists.

MaverickM11

Re: Trump has given the Pentagon marching orders: He demands a giant millitary parade ...

Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:37 am

BerenErchamion wrote:
Tugger wrote:
BerenErchamion wrote:

Yes, it does. Killing another one of God's children--killing another bearer of the inner light, of God Godself--can never be justified, for any reason, under any circumstances. It is far, far, far, better to be killed than to kill. Jesus wasn't kidding when he said "love your enemies" and "offer the other cheek" and "bless those who curse you" and "do good to those who harm you."

Have you met America? What are you smoking and can you share?
E pur si muove -Galileo

salttee

Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:23 am

BerenErchamion wrote:
Jesus wasn't kidding when he said "love your enemies" and "offer the other cheek" and "bless those who curse you" and "do good to those who harm you."

How do you know Jesus said any of that? Jesus never wrote anything down and none of those who did write about him ever actually met him.
Besides, maybe you got it wrong, Jesus wasn't a Christian, he was a Jew.

seb146

Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:47 am

salttee wrote:
BerenErchamion wrote:
Jesus wasn't kidding when he said "love your enemies" and "offer the other cheek" and "bless those who curse you" and "do good to those who harm you."

How do you know Jesus said any of that? Jesus never wrote anything down and none of those who did write about him ever actually met him.

It is one of the biggest selling books of all time. Even if it was written by a lot of different guys.

I know it has been pointed out before, but isn't it funny that those who cried about the last president not being Christian because he went to a Christian church, had zero side chicks, only two children are the same people who are screaming the loudest over how "great" this current "president" is?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

chimborazo

Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:40 am

A huge military parade, the biggest and best military parade.

I'm genuinely surprised at most of the comments above. This would be a better use of the military's time and effort than starting yet another unnecessary war half way around the world.

There wouldn't be so many "hero" vets if there weren't so many unnecessary wars.

There is no reason for the US military to be so large: the purpose is to protect the country (not attack others as has been the norm for decades) - "Secretary of Defence". You have nukes and many, many people are armed to the teeth. No one will ever invade the US.

Kiwirob

Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:49 am

seb146 wrote:
salttee wrote:
BerenErchamion wrote:

It is one of the biggest selling books of all time. Even if it was written by a lot of different guys.

I know it has been pointed out before, but isn't it funny that those who cried about the last president not being Christian because he went to a Christian church, had zero side chicks, only two children are the same people who are screaming the loudest over how "great" this current "president" is?

Who actually buys a bible, it might be the most printed book of all time but I doubt many people have ever bought one, you borrow them from the church or hotel room. It's also all made up and a sop to the simple minded fools who believe in that shit.

My last hotel room had a good news bible, a quran and a buddhist book in the bedside drawer.

seb146

Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:11 am

chimborazo wrote:
A huge military parade, the biggest and best military parade.

I'm genuinely surprised at most of the comments above. This would be a better use of the military's time and effort than starting yet another unnecessary war half way around the world.

There wouldn't be so many "hero" vets if there weren't so many unnecessary wars.

There is no reason for the US military to be so large: the purpose is to protect the country (not attack others as has been the norm for decades) - "Secretary of Defence". You have nukes and many, many people are armed to the teeth. No one will ever invade the US.

It would be a better use of military dollars to treat those who have lost limbs and sight and hearing and their minds in wars and not stroking the ego of a simpleton. Unfortunately:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... sides.html
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... -2018-plan

Yes, in addition to him demanding we worship him and parade our military in front of him for his amusement, he wants another 9/11 to hold onto power.

seb146

Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:14 am

Kiwirob wrote:
seb146 wrote:
salttee wrote:

Who actually buys a bible, it might be the most printed book of all time but I doubt many people have ever bought one, you borrow them from the church or hotel room. It's also all made up and a sop to the simple minded fools who believe in that shit.

My last hotel room had a good news bible, a quran and a buddhist book in the bedside drawer.

If people want to believe in Quran or Bible or nothing at all, to call us all "simple minded fools" really makes me angry. There are those who use holy texts to manipulate others or those who use holy texts to justify their own behavior. Then, there are a lot of us who just us holy texts for guidance and support in our own personal lives and want to be left alone and not be told how people like you think we are "simple minded fools."

bgm

Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:45 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Everyone loves a parade!

No they don't. Where did you get that idea from?
When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Kiwirob

Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:17 am

seb146 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
seb146 wrote:

If people want to believe in Quran or Bible or nothing at all, to call us all "simple minded fools" really makes me angry. There are those who use holy texts to manipulate others or those who use holy texts to justify their own behavior. Then, there are a lot of us who just us holy texts for guidance and support in our own personal lives and want to be left alone and not be told how people like you think we are "simple minded fools."

Bullshit they are holy texts, especially the bible, it was made up by literally hundreds of people over hundreds of years, not a jot of it can be confirmed as factual, the entire christian religion is made up from bits and bobs stolen from other religions. Only a complete and utter simple minded fool would believe in it and live there life by it, you'd be far better off planting a tree in your backyard and worshipping that!

bennett123

Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:43 am

No one will castigate you if you chose to worship a tree.

tommy1808

Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:53 am

bennett123 wrote:
No one will castigate you if you chose to worship a tree.

Trees happen to be real.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

einsteinboricua

Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:51 pm

chimborazo wrote:
This would be a better use of the military's time and effort than starting yet another unnecessary war half way around the world..

Why not invest the money into better care for the veterans? And if a show of force is a must, why not have a Veterans Parade to honor those who DID serve?

Flying F15, F18, B52, and F35, and rolling tanks down Pennsylvania Avenue (or wherever) does nothing except waste money that could be used for other purposes.

You want to get rid of the swamp? Start by letting the money be used for other things that people could use.

It's funny. For such a big nation with a powerful military, it sure needs a lot of reassuring that it's the best and strongest out there, what with the bloated budget, and now we need to parade it around to show it off?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Tugger

Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:49 pm

BerenErchamion wrote:
Tugger wrote:
BerenErchamion wrote:

Well for me, as I said, it does not work as it apparently does for you, across all situations. As a basic example, I do believe I and everyone has a right to defend themselves if attacked. And if the attacker is killed in that then that is what happens. It does also stretch to my family, if someone attacks my kids.... I will not allow it, I will not hold back, I will not "turn the other cheek". And I might point out that throughout history Christians have followed this concept and defended themselves vigorously (and more).

But this is not about religion, yours or mine. This is my opinion, this is how I manage and live my life and I am trying to offer basic reasoning as to "why". I am not saying it must how you or anyone else must live theirs.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

seb146

Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:27 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
Only a complete and utter simple minded fool would believe in it and live there life by it, you'd be far better off planting a tree in your backyard and worshipping that!

*their

My whole point is: the Constitution guarantees that you can have your opinion of religion and I can have mine. You choose not to partake and I do. You want to worship a tree? Go right ahead. No one is stopping you. I am a Christian, which shares many prophets with Islam and Judaism. Every time I see someone commit an act of violence in the name of religion, it makes me angry. Not killing, in fact, is in the Top Ten of Christianity. It is also very bad, in the eyes of Quran.

Don't tell me how to worship or believe. You have yours and I have mine. If you don't like the way I worship, that is on you.

Tugger

Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:47 pm

seb146 wrote:
Not killing, in fact, is in the Top Ten of Christianity.

If you are speaking of the Ten Commandments, it is my understanding that commandment is actually translated as "Thou shall not murder" which is distinctly different than "kill".

Please don't take this as nit-picking, I think it is an important distinction to be aware of.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

787Driver

Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:53 pm

I hope this is not true. As a super power you have an extra large responsibility not to intimidate other powerful nations in this way as it will only lead to another arms race which no one benefits from. USA please don’t sink to the same level as Russia and NK.

seb146

Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:59 pm

Tugger wrote:
seb146 wrote:

If you are speaking of the Ten Commandments, it is my understanding that commandment is actually translated as "Thou shall not murder" which is distinctly different than "kill".

Please don't take this as nit-picking, I think it is an important distinction to be aware of.

Tugg

I don't see it as nit-picking. Some versions of the Bible do say "murder" instead of "kill." I happened to be raised in a church that taught murder is taking a life.

It also said that "Love your neighbor" was the greatest Commandment, but this whole conversation is for another thread.

tommy1808

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:05 pm

Tugger wrote:
seb146 wrote:

On top of it there is this neat little detail that it means "thou shall not murder Jews", so even if it meant "kill" it would still mean nothing. God commanded murder all the freaking times and got really mad when someone was spared.....

The Bible is pretty clear that anything is fine with people believing in another god, enslave them, murder them, rape them and so on.

Good people can find good meaning in the Bible, but as a whole the content of it is objectively unethical.

Good people would be just as good without any God involved.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

Kiwirob

Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:09 pm

seb146 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
Only a complete and utter simple minded fool would believe in it and live there life by it, you'd be far better off planting a tree in your backyard and worshipping that!

*their

My whole point is: the Constitution guarantees that you can have your opinion of religion and I can have mine. You choose not to partake and I do. You want to worship a tree? Go right ahead. No one is stopping you. I am a Christian, which shares many prophets with Islam and Judaism. Every time I see someone commit an act of violence in the name of religion, it makes me angry. Not killing, in fact, is in the Top Ten of Christianity. It is also very bad, in the eyes of Quran.

Don't tell me how to worship or believe. You have yours and I have mine. If you don't like the way I worship, that is on you.

Really so I’m bound by your constitution, that outdated rag of a document? The American arrogance is oozing from this one!!

Kiwirob

Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:10 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Tugger wrote:
seb146 wrote:

On top of it there is this neat little detail that it means "thou shall not murder Jews", so even if it meant "kill" it would still mean nothing. God commanded murder all the freaking times and got really mad when someone was spared.....

The Bible is pretty clear that anything is fine with people believing in another god, enslave them, murder them, rape them and so on.

Good people can find good meaning in the Bible, but as a whole the content of it is objectively unethical.

Best regards
Thomas

He’s also gay and the bible has oodles of passages about not being gay. It’s like black people becoming Mormons, it just makes no sense??

atcsundevil

Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:42 pm

This thread has gone way, way off-topic. I realize this is Non-Av, but let's at least pretend to keep your discussion related to the topic.

✈️ atcsundevil

casinterest

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:24 pm

Navy seal that killed Bin Laden thinks the parade is BS!

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/08/bin-lad ... -idea.html
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

CitizenJustin

Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:42 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Everyone loves a parade!

I don’t. Too crowded.

CitizenJustin

Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:46 pm

777222LR wrote:
I don't want to get accused for not supporting our military, because I do. However, this parade is about Trump's ego and authoritarian tendencies. I'm really concerned the end game is to turn the military and law enforcement against the people that don't support the president, people of color, and immigrants. This is starting to feel very odd, like shades of Germany post WW-I. Does anyone else have this uneasy feeling this is where it's going?

Absolutely.

Many people think this is overly-dramatic, but I don’t think most realize just how fragile freedom is and how easily it can be taken away. Things are taken for granted, that is, until they’re gone.

ER757

Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:49 pm

It will be Yuuuuge - the best parade by the best people. It'll much bigger than Obama's parade.........

I just have visions of all the troops saluting (insert your dictator of choice here) as they pass the reviewing stand in order to show their loyalty to fearless leader.
This guy has quite the pathological need to have his ego stroked and show L'il Kim that his schwanz is bigger.

seb146

Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:33 am

Kiwirob wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

He’s also gay and the bible has oodles of passages about not being gay. It’s like black people becoming Mormons, it just makes no sense??

Mormon is a sect of Christianity. They have their own code. Just like Methodists, Lutherans, Presbyterians, etc.

The root word of Christian is Christ. I am a follower of Christ, who said nothing against gays.

As far as this thread goes, it is evangelicals, not Christians at large, who support tRump, the adulterer, and the Republican party, who hate people who work too damn hard for too little. They say they are Christian, but their actions show otherwise. Just like this stupid parade. They fret and worry over deficits and how much things (like affordable health care for all and veterans) but think a yuge military show is the best thing ever, cost be damned.

salttee

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:47 am

Why should those of us who have a clue of how the world works and understand that there is no magic man in the sky, bother to differentiate between different groups of magic man followers?

qf789

Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:56 am

Thread has gone off topic and will be locked
Forum Moderator