CitizenJustin

Re: If a Texas sized asteroid was headed for Earth...

Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:57 pm

Andre3K wrote:
Tugger wrote:
Andre3K wrote:
(never mind the fact that many amateur scientists and star gazers would have seen it before then),

Well that is not necessarily true as was proven by our extra-solar visitor a few months back.
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/11/ ... -our-solar

It came out of the sun and so was non-viewable until it went past. As you see it came in the solar system at an angle and slingshotted around the sun toward earth.

Me? I'd like to survive if there was any way at all possible to do so and see what happens afterward. The worst would be that I die and if I'm going to die and so is EVERYONE pain or starvation etc. is not any kind of real concern. And who knows, if I survive others would as well and maybe something more of life goes on.

I remember reading Lucifer's Hammer years ago which echoes this situation with smaller though multiple
impacts.

Tugg

It would be impossible to survive something that big. The one that killed the dinosaurs was less than 30 miles across. The one in this scenario is almost 800 miles across. The impact from that would be like putting the earth 10 miles away from the sun for 10 minutes.

“According to abundant geological evidence, an asteroid roughly 10 km (6 miles) across hit Earth about 65 million years ago. This impact made a huge explosion and a crater about 180 km (roughly 110 miles) across.”

This is from the Planetary Science Institute. It’s truly incredible the amount of damage something so small (6 miles across) can do at those speeds. I’ve seen estimates as large as 10 miles. Apparently, the light was so intense that any life close enough would have been instantly blinded. The heat admitted during impact burned impressions of dinosaurs into the nearby rocks as well. The toxic ash cloud reached Mongolia (other side of the planet) within 12 hours. Archaeologists discovered the larger dinosaurs died first because smaller dinosaurs bones are scattered around them, which means they were scavenging during the initial temperature increase that killed the larger ones.

Sorry for going on and on. I’ve just always thought this topic was really interesting, partly because it could happen again.

treetreeseven

Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:37 am

An impactor >10% of earth's diameter will remodel most or all of the planet's surface, boil the oceans, completely disrupt the atmosphere, and give Earth a temporary debris ring. There would be no surviving.

Might as well knock over a pharmacy and a sunglasses kiosk and wait on any convenient rooftop to greet it. I'd be displeased if it were cloudy. Even if it hits the opposite side of the planet, you're still gonna get a hell of a light show before you're done.

Nicoeddf

Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:19 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Two chicks at the same time.

You need an asteroid ending life as we know it for that? holy shit, it's worse than I thought over there at your place...
Enslave yourself to the divine disguised as salvation
that your bought with your sacrifice
Deception justified for your holy design
High on our platform spewing out your crimes
from the altar of god

SmithAir747

Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:29 pm

Here's a YouTube video of a simulated large planetoid-sized asteroid impacting Earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU1QPtOZQZU

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

Tugger

Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:01 pm

SmithAir747 wrote:
Here's a YouTube video of a simulated large planetoid-sized asteroid impacting Earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU1QPtOZQZU

SmithAir747

That is awesome! Depressing in many ways but awesome.
And the asteroid postulated in this video is basically 1/3 the size that Andre3k is giving in his example.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

prebennorholm

Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:32 am

Better make sure to pay up the fire insurance fee.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

Kiwirob

Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:52 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

LOL, it's not all it's cracked up to be, but try for sisters.

Hmmmm you got me thinking, the milf that’s my assistant is a twin.

WIederling

Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:06 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

LOL, it's not all it's cracked up to be, but try for sisters.

Hmmmm you got me thinking, the milf that’s my assistant is a twin.

Wasn't the Chinese sign for trouble two stylized women under one roof ?
( though playing around with google translate that seems to be only half right )
Murphy is an optimist