fr8mech
Topic Author

The Soul-Sucking Apple Store

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:40 am

So, I visited the Apple Store to have my daughter's 5S battery replaced (we won't get into why this isn't an LRU). I did all the preliminary online stuff, and that went well. The battery took a little longer to arrive than I felt it should, but Apple ain't Amazon Prime. A few points:

-Hey Apple, you have about 18 people in blue shirts on the floor. I get it, you have a lot of products that need watching, but please, have the guy that's checking people in wear a different colored shirt (like a keeper on a soccer team), maybe Fairy-Tale, so we poor, hapless customers can find the guy among the sea of blue and other bewildered customers.

-Stop saying "awesome". My being able to relate my name to you is not awesome. A simple thank you will suffice. My being able to indicate that I understand where I should wait in order to further my soul-sucking journey is not awesome.

-Again, when you take my phone, and I inform you that I've already disabled the "Find My iPhone" function, it is not "awesome and outstanding"...a simple OK will suffice.

-When I return at the appointed time, please see my first point, since, inevitably, the person checking people in has changed. And, maybe my name is "awesome" to this new person, but it stopped being "awesome" when I was about 5.

-No, Apple, I choose not to add my credit card to "Wallet", if I wanted to do that, I would have done it already.

-No, Apple, I don't want a new iPhone 8 (kudos for not pushing the X), I'm perfectly happy with my 6S, my wife's 6S, my son's SE and the aforementioned newly battery'ed 5S. If I wanted to spend $700 or $1000 to replace a phone that is working fine, I would have long ago. And, no, I don't want an Apple HomePod, unless you're giving them away...then I'll take 2.

On the upside, my daughter no longer has battery life issues, and she's $83.74 lighter.

Thank you.
When seconds count...the authorities are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.

DarkSnowyNight

Re: The Soul-Sucking Apple Store

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:53 am

I have both Apple and Android products. I got the iPhone thru work, and while I don't mind it (also a 6s), I sure am glad I haven't had to deal with actually getting one from a shop.

All hard product differences aside (I feel those largely balance), I probably am not the sort who'd be ok with dealing with all that iPhone store hoopla.
Much like a GE90, I'm a huge fan of Big Twins...

TheFlyingDisk

Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:14 am

Maybe it's the store you visit that's all "awesome"?

I don't know why Apple still needs a store when more & more people are going online to buy stuff.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

fr8mech
Topic Author

Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:30 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
I don't know why Apple still needs a store when more & more people are going online to buy stuff.

Are you kidding? Every time I walk passed the place in the mall (granted, not nearly as often now that EVERYTHING can be bought online), it's packed with non-blue shirt folks. Maybe repair work, maybe browsers, maybe folks that would rather interact with other folks rather than a computer. Who knows?

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Maybe it's the store you visit that's all "awesome"?

I admit, my experience is with this one store, but with 3 occurrences. I do suspect it's a "culture" thing.

c933103

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:59 am

Apple stores are built to sell their products that they just happened to add the support center into it in order to better sell things to customers looking for support. The entire environment and staffing and interaction are all built around it.

einsteinboricua

Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:40 pm

fr8mech wrote:
-Hey Apple, you have about 18 people in blue shirts on the floor. I get it, you have a lot of products that need watching, but please, have the guy that's checking people in wear a different colored shirt (like a keeper on a soccer team), maybe Fairy-Tale, so we poor, hapless customers can find the guy among the sea of blue and other bewildered customers.

That sea of blue shirts ARE the employees you check in with. They're each assigned to a station which is why the guy working on the Macbook section won't attend your iPhone problem.

fr8mech wrote:
-Stop saying "awesome". My being able to relate my name to you is not awesome. A simple thank you will suffice. My being able to indicate that I understand where I should wait in order to further my soul-sucking journey is not awesome.
It's called a company culture, which I would enjoy as opposed to other places...like fast food employees who look like starved kids in Africa.

fr8mech wrote:
-Again, when you take my phone, and I inform you that I've already disabled the "Find My iPhone" function, it is not "awesome and outstanding"...a simple OK will suffice.

Read the point above

fr8mech wrote:
-No, Apple, I choose not to add my credit card to "Wallet", if I wanted to do that, I would have done it already.
It's letting you know the functionality is there. A simple "No" tells the phone you don't want it.

fr8mech wrote:
-No, Apple, I don't want a new iPhone 8 (kudos for not pushing the X), I'm perfectly happy with my 6S, my wife's 6S, my son's SE and the aforementioned newly battery'ed 5S. If I wanted to spend $700 or $1000 to replace a phone that is working fine, I would have long ago. And, no, I don't want an Apple HomePod, unless you're giving them away...then I'll take 2.
For someone who has a lot of gripes with Apple you certainly are a fanboy. I mean, if I were deadset against customer service with Apple Stores I'd migrate to another product immediately.

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
don't know why Apple still needs a store when more & more people are going online to buy stuff.
I know, right? I ask myself the same question with car dealers and clothes. It's not like people want to try out the product before purchasing it. Want a test drive? Do it virtually. Wanna try out clothes? Buy them all and return the sizes that don't fit. Want an iPhone? Buy it, play with it, and return it if you want another model.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

JJJ

Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:58 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
fr8mech wrote:
For someone who has a lot of gripes with Apple you certainly are a fanboy. I mean, if I were deadset against customer service with Apple Stores I'd migrate to another product immediately.

I've owned Apple products (I used to have an iPad until I bought a Surface and my wife is on her second MacBook and second iMac which for the most part I'm in charge of servicing) and I've visited apple stores exactly zero times.

All my Apple stuff has been serviced through 3rd party stores.

MaverickM11

Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:47 pm

Every visit to an Apple store has always seemed like a joke I'm not in on. No matter whether you have an appointment or not, you're invariably passed from one person, to the next, to the next, to the next, and then told to go stand over there, where another person comes to you to follow up, all the while dozens and dozens of blue shirts are streaming in and out of some back door doing god knows what. It's like trying to ask for directions in a school of fish.
E pur si muove -Galileo

Revelation

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:10 pm

fr8mech wrote:
Are you kidding? Every time I walk passed the place in the mall (granted, not nearly as often now that EVERYTHING can be bought online), it's packed with non-blue shirt folks. Maybe repair work, maybe browsers, maybe folks that would rather interact with other folks rather than a computer. Who knows?

It's so popular, no one goes there anymore...
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has it's beaches, it's homeland and thoughts of it's own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has it's seasons, it's evenings and songs of it's own

casinterest

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:21 pm

The apple store has to spend a lot of it's time on tech non-savy folks. I usually get my phone serviced elsewhere, or do it myself.
the batteries are cheap online. with good instructions.
ifixit has the tools ,and battery for the 5s for 19.99.

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/iPhone/iPh ... gLAS_D_BwE

the repair guide is here
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+5s+ ... ment/19239

At 30 minutes to an hour, it can be done in the time it would take to go to the apple store and back. Even for beginners.

Most of what you are paying for at the Apple store is service. That service has a cost, and there are folks that are technically or time constrained enough to pay for that service. Lots of them in fact.

I usually do find that the service at an Apple store is good, when I do visit, but it is mostly to browse. I usually purchase online and just pick up in the store when delivery is out of my time range.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

fr8mech
Topic Author

Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:35 am

[threeid][/threeid]
c933103 wrote:
Apple stores are built to sell their products that they just happened to add the support center into it in order to better sell things to customers looking for support. The entire environment and staffing and interaction are all built around it.

Ummm, isn't that the function of any store? To sell its products.

einsteinboricua wrote:

Who said I had a lot of gripes with Apple? I have issues with their store and the culture in the store, but I've visited the place 3 times in the 9 or so years I've owned Apple products, so I think I'm OK there.

einsteinboricua wrote:
That sea of blue shirts ARE the employees you check in with. They're each assigned to a station which is why the guy working on the Macbook section won't attend your iPhone problem.

Yes, but in my local store, they have ONE person among the sea of blue that checks everyone in that wants service, says "awesome" and then points you to the appropriate waiting area so you can get "awesome'ed" again.

casinterest wrote:
Most of what you are paying for at the Apple store is service. That service has a cost, and there are folks that are technically or time constrained enough to pay for that service. Lots of them in fact.

You'll note that I did not complain about the cost, nor the wait. I chose to allow them to replace my battery for the same reason I let Valvoline change my oil...I can do both, but I find myself enjoying other things.

BawliBooch

Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:52 am

You should find the Apple "Genius" in the store. All problems solved.
L' Esprit de Mai 68

Calder

Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:38 pm

I don't own any Apple products, but I like to browse their stores from time to time.

They certainly have a unique atmosphere going for them, although at times it can feel too "sanitized".
C. T.

casinterest

Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:14 pm

fr8mech wrote:

casinterest wrote:

You'll note that I did not complain about the cost, nor the wait. I chose to allow them to replace my battery for the same reason I let Valvoline change my oil...I can do both, but I find myself enjoying other things.

I didn't elaborate far enough. The service you go for has to maintain a special attitude, because unlike an oil change, these folks have some extremely complex items to sell, service, and explain. The movement amongst team members, and their attitude is the best to maintain a positive environment that furthers the goals of the apple store.. It may seem a bit "soul-sucking" , and I get that too in my job, but it also helps avoid escalations when customers can be extremely difficult.

As some of the workers get more experience, they will get better at reading customers, but for the newbies, it is best to stick with a script that maintains the atmosphere as well as sells the company line.

Awesome is usually a world that I steer away from when establishing an issue . but that may be their script.

Some people choose youtube to get their service, but you should actually be impressed that those folks can usually get the job done across a variety of highly technical items.

Flighty

Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:48 pm

Someday we will look back fondly on the day we could go to an actual mall and see real people for this. We will also look back on the days when we had the freedom to get an oil change for our gasoline car.

wingman

Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:28 pm

In all the complaining I was able to distill two facts:

1. Fr8 took a 4 1/2 year old phone and bought a 4-5 year lease on life for it for $83.

2. He could've done the above himself for $30 but chose to go through onsite Retail service instead at a cost of $53.

My points:

The 5S is a damn good phone and your daughter will use it another 5 years for $83 or buy her own.

You have choice in servicing your phone as duly noted, each option with its pros and cons depending on your personality (and awesome age level).

My dad used to cringe when blue hairs said "have a nice daaaay!" every time he checked out of Walgreens and Safeway. We all have our issues...

Last question: how does this painful experience compare to changing the battery on a 4 1/2 year old Samsung, Motorola, Blackberry, Nokia and Pixel? I think you get the drift.

Copper616

Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:30 pm

I have quite a few Apple products and didn't go to the store to browse/choose any of them. I did use the store to pick them up to take advantage of the shipping. A couple of times I've used the store for issues I've had with my phone that weren't carrier related. Never a problem at the store. Well, that's not quite true. I feel as if its waaaay to bright in there. I'm often tempted to wear my sunglasses while visiting.

I do like the idea of the check-in guy/gal having some sort of unique identifier, though I've never had any issue going up to any blue shirt and asking for help.
blues and twos

fr8mech
Topic Author

Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:31 am

wingman wrote:
The 5S is a damn good phone and your daughter will use it another 5 years for $83 or buy her own.

In all honesty, I did give her a choice: new phone she pays for, new battery she pays for, do nothing.

She'll be able to use this phone through high school. I may get her a new one when she goes to college. I did spring for another $30 (from Amazon) for a LifeProof case for the phone. If she's gonna keep the phone for another 4 years, it needs to be protected.

Copper616 wrote:
I feel as if its waaaay to bright in there. I'm often tempted to wear my sunglasses while visiting.

That is true. All kinds of lighting.

Copper616 wrote:
though I've never had any issue going up to any blue shirt and asking for help.

That's the way I would have expected it to work, but at this store, they point you to a one guy/gal to do the check-in.

casinterest wrote:
ome people choose youtube to get their service,

I use YouTube for all sorts of stuff, especially appliance work, because appliances suck and the appliance repair folks suck more, and charge excessively for the privilege of sucking.

B777LRF

Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:45 am

The Apple store closest to me are also retailing Naim and Devialet Phantom speakers. The only reason I go in there, is to connect my phone to a Phantom and blast out AC/DC at max volume. Hipsters don't like AC/DC, I've come to learn.
From receips and radials over straight pipes to big fans - been there, done that, got the hearing defects to prove

Calder

Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:01 pm

wingman wrote:
In all the complaining I was able to distill two facts:

1. Fr8 took a 4 1/2 year old phone and bought a 4-5 year lease on life for it for $83.

2. He could've done the above himself for $30 but chose to go through onsite Retail service instead at a cost of $53.

My points:

You have choice in servicing your phone as duly noted, each option with its pros and cons depending on your personality (and awesome age level).

My dad used to cringe when blue hairs said "have a nice daaaay!" every time he checked out of Walgreens and Safeway. We all have our issues...

Last question: how does this painful experience compare to changing the battery on a 4 1/2 year old Samsung, Motorola, Blackberry, Nokia and Pixel? I think you get the drift.

I agree with most of your points, except for what I've highlighted in bold.

And only because I have a friend who is getting rid of her iPhone 5 because it is no longer supported. I understand that the 5S is still supported, but I'm almost 100% sure it won't be supported for another 2 years, let alone another 5 years.

My friend is getting a newer iPhone due to a lack of application compatibility with the OS version her device is currently running.

I have little doubt that OPs daughter's phone will continue to run for 5 years, but it will be effectively useless if it is unable to use "current" software of the time.
C. T.

wingman

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:18 pm

I didn't realize that Calder, and the first I'm hearing of it with the phones. I have the 5S myself and as with my Honda Accord torture myself with lust for new cars or phones but then see the price and wonder what for when the paid off stuff works so well?

My Mac Book Pro is 2010 vintage but still gets all the OS upgrades. Granted it's slow and I do need to replace it but the phones get cut off from OS support at some point?

If so I take back the bold point!

PS: Fr8, I take it you are in remission or at least semi clear and ambulatory. I hope that's the case. Keep it up man.

vikkyvik

Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:32 pm

fr8mech wrote:
Stop saying "awesome".

Language morphs over time. I've noticed that people 10-20 years younger than me tend to use "awesome" very casually, almost like saying "OK". Basically as an acknowledgment that you said something to them.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

casinterest

Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:14 pm

bhill wrote:
casinterest wrote:
fr8mech wrote:

I didn't elaborate far enough. The service you go for has to maintain a special attitude, because unlike an oil change, these folks have some extremely complex items to sell, service, and explain. The movement amongst team members, and their attitude is the best to maintain a positive environment that furthers the goals of the apple store.. It may seem a bit "soul-sucking" , and I get that too in my job, but it also helps avoid escalations when customers can be extremely difficult.

As some of the workers get more experience, they will get better at reading customers, but for the newbies, it is best to stick with a script that maintains the atmosphere as well as sells the company line.

Awesome is usually a world that I steer away from when establishing an issue . but that may be their script.

Some people choose youtube to get their service, but you should actually be impressed that those folks can usually get the job done across a variety of highly technical items.

Bullshit...it's a fukkin PHONE.....And as for "complex" items, thats bullshit to...ALL of that SHOULD be abstracted from the common user, if you need to consult with a "genius" either 1) the thing should not have been released to the common public or 2) You prolly should not be using the thing....

It why GUI's are used......a good SR will read the customer they are working with and pretty quickly figure out what script to use....

Folks.
This is an example of the type of ignorance that folks at the Apple Store have to deal with.

Abstraction doesn't work when you have to show grandma how to secure the phone with touch ID because her grand kids are using it to surf porn. And are snap chatting with people online.

//edit ==-and the fact that they have to sell service and support Multiple items that are not just a fukkin Phone

NIKV69

Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:30 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
Every visit to an Apple store has always seemed like a joke I'm not in on. No matter whether you have an appointment or not, you're invariably passed from one person, to the next, to the next, to the next, and then told to go stand over there, where another person comes to you to follow up, all the while dozens and dozens of blue shirts are streaming in and out of some back door doing god knows what. It's like trying to ask for directions in a school of fish.

I walked past the one in the town square mall in Vegas and it was total chaos inside so I didn't go it. Then went into one in NY and it was worse. Micro Center sells and stand behind their apple products and is much nicer to walk into. Never again.
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!

Calder

Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:14 pm

wingman wrote:
I didn't realize that Calder, and the first I'm hearing of it with the phones. I have the 5S myself and as with my Honda Accord torture myself with lust for new cars or phones but then see the price and wonder what for when the paid off stuff works so well?

My Mac Book Pro is 2010 vintage but still gets all the OS upgrades. Granted it's slow and I do need to replace it but the phones get cut off from OS support at some point?

If so I take back the bold point!

PS: Fr8, I take it you are in remission or at least semi clear and ambulatory. I hope that's the case. Keep it up man.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to come across as rude, it was just fresh in my mind as she and I were discussing it literally last night.

I still use my Samsung Note 4 that I have had since launch day. I am not able to use the latest Android OS due to compatibility issues, but I find it doesn't hamper me too much, (one of the only upsides to Androids ridiculous level of fragmentation). I also daily drive a 2010 Nissan Frontier that I will be using until it doesn't make economic sense to continue to repair.

I'm surprised your 2010 Macbook Pro is still supported, but I suppose it is in their high end series so it seems to be supported for longer (https://eshop.macsales.com/guides/Mac_OS_X_Compatibility).

I'm not an Apple connoisseur by any measure, but I imagine the lack of compatibility is due to avoiding older hardware constraints on software designed to run on newer hardware.

I recently replaced my 2011 Asus K53S laptop after I started having some stability issues. I imagine I could have made it last a little longer by taking it apart and giving it a good clean, but the allure of shiny new hardware was too strong! One thing I have come to admire about Apple products is their longevity with little to no interference from the user. I had reinstalled the OS on my trusty Asus at least a half dozen times over its life. Now it will get a final wipe and live out its days tethered to my TV as a media center of sorts.
C. T.

Ken777

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:14 pm

As an old retailer I love the Apple Stores. both in design efforts and in staffing. How many times do you walk into a store and walk for ages before you see any sales Taff. Macy's is horrid for this. I also like the way Apple tries to really train their new staff.

One reason why you will see more staff on the floor. is that they are trained to spend the time a customer (or potential customer) wants or needs If Granny comes in with her high school age granddaughter she will be taken care of. Discussions between an iPad and a MacBook, various options for each. Lots of questions, but Grammy has her credit card or checkbook in her purse and her granddaughter will be ,more than happy with what she takes out. She might also be turned into a long term Apple customer.

Apple is one of the few companies that take a long term view of customer relations at this low a price point. Not a bad approach IMO

Tugger

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:21 pm

Ken777 wrote:
Apple is one of the few companies that take a long term view of customer relations at this low a price point.

Not trying to knock you but where do you get "this low a price point"? Apple has some the highest profit margins of any company anywhere. They make something like 40% on average. I know it varies widely per product from ear buds to iphones but still.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

fr8mech
Topic Author

Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:53 am

Calder wrote:
I have little doubt that OPs daughter's phone will continue to run for 5 years, but it will be effectively useless if it is unable to use "current" software of the time.

Yeah, I get that, but it all depends on what "effectively useless" means. My daughter's opinion not withstanding, I pay for her phone so that we can stay in contact with her. Not so she can cruise Instagram or SnapChat or whatever. As long as she's able to effectively communicate with us, it is working. Now, we're not ogres...if the phone becomes functionally obsolete, we'll discuss options. More likely the wife or I will upgrade one or both of our phones and pass the the 6S to her. But, she'll use the 5S as long as she can.

My wife has been running an iPad 2 for years. Sure, she doesn't update anything anymore, but it still works fine for what she needs. Though, her birthday will bring her a new Mini.

wingman wrote:

I am in remission, or disease free, as the doctor says. Scans every 3 months. I've been ambulatory for several months, but just now starting to feel like my old self.

Kno

Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:53 pm

In my experience, yes Apple has a consistent hipster blue shirt employee culture in the store, but the quality of service from store to store is completely incinsistent.

For example, you want to get your phone fixed at a store in a Boston area store? Good luck - show up to your appointment, wait for an hour, and a friendly hipster will misdiagnose you or try to sell you something expensive and send you on your way. Don't even attempt to come in without making an appointment days in advance (if my phone breaks, I need it fixed now not next week).

On the other hand in San Diego the service was fast (even with no appointment or same day appointments) and they went out of their way to replace an out of warranty battery issue after the Boston store incorrectly misdiagnosed my issue.

Ken777

Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:47 pm

Tugger wrote:
Not trying to knock you but where do you get "this low a price point"? Apple has some the highest profit margins of any company anywhere. They make something like 40% on average. I know it varies widely per product from ear buds to iphones but still.

Tugg

I was thinking of different t products where you have companies focused on long term relationships. The first thing that comes to mind is auto dealerships who start working for your business on your first purchase. That comparison leaves Apple's price points at the lower end.

In terms of margins a 40% margin is not unusual. Traditional retail margins was 50% for years. After paying all bills and taking the hit for shoplifting that would leave a good retailer with a net profit margin of about 3%. These days retailers playtimes with pricing because of the impact of the internet retailing.

Apple's margins are actually pretty acceptable when you look at the funds they put into R&D every year, the investments they make in their stand alone stores (as well as the design fees for those stores), the effort they invest in their OS platforms and related apps, and all the Jonny Ive (and team) related costs.

I would hate to see Apple to go the way of the PC companies.

lightsaber

Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:05 pm

I've decided Apple is a religion you believe or don't believe. I've owned iPods, iPads, and other Apple stuff. The stores suit their market bringing in new users.

If you don't like their product, don't buy. I personally need a rugged but pocketable phone, so I buy Motorola. I also want access to non Apple media. But they are good products.

The issue for Apple is they are dependent on vendors for too much which enabled competition to thrive. Apple has done well going from on hot product to the next. But what can bring in iPhone revenue now that smartphones are a mature technology? Mature technology has lower margins and Apple is growing unit wise slower than the market.

But the stores are cool.

Lightsaber
You only have the first amendment with the 2nd. If you're not going to offend someone with what you say, you don't have the 1st.

Aesma

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:15 am

Flighty wrote:
Someday we will look back fondly on the day we could go to an actual mall and see real people for this. We will also look back on the days when we had the freedom to get an oil change for our gasoline car.

I won't. I don't enjoy stores, and I almost never buy anything I've not researched first, I'm not going to buy a TV or a smartphone on the advice of someone who is there to sell me what will earn him/her the biggest bonus.

The days when technology will be so advanced that there will be no point in making a new better phone every couple of months will be great, for the environment too. And cars that need very little servicing, and will go do it by themselves, awesome !

BTW from what I read here and there it seems you love changing oil on your cars in the US. Here we do it when the car tells us to do it, every 2 years or 30000Km usually.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams